Cain's wrestling arguably better than Brock's?

ThePredictor

I wanted to give a little insight on why Cain's wrestling is arguably as good as if not better than Brock's. Here is why: the time frames. Brock was Div. 1 champ in 2000. Cain placed 4th in 2006. With that said, its important to remember that sports, especially in college, are constantly evolving. Athletes and teams in college sports are constantly moving towards a higher level, and getting better. Programs are improving, and wrestlers today are on a whole different level than wrestlers that competed prior.

Everybody speaks so highly of Brock's wrestling because he was #1 in 2000, I just wanted to bring it to everybody's attention that Cain's #4 finish in 2006 is not far behind and arguably as good as or better than Lesnar's.

I know there is a lot of hype behind Lesnar because he looks like a comic book character, but we have to remember that if Cain's wrestling background is in fact very comparable to Brock's and its rather unfair to count Cain out so quickly. I know that Lesnar fans have nothing else to rely on but Brock's wrestling and beard, but in this case, I don't think he will display such extreme expected dominance in that arena. And because Cain absolutely dominates Lesnar in virtually every other technical aspect of the sport, you have to consider him at very least, a very very difficult fight for Brock.

Never in any UFC fight have I heard people place so much of their hopes and confidence in one guy, and furthermore in one aspect of his game (wrestling) in this multi-faceted sport. Especially, when his opposition has an arguably equivalent skill set in the same department.

Either way, betting all your chips on Brock because of his wrestling in this match, is probably not the safest bet in the world.

Thanks guys. Thoughts?

I wanted to give a little insight on why Cain's wrestling is arguably as good as if not better than Brock's. Here is why: the time frames. Brock was Div. 1 champ in 2000. Cain placed 4th in 2006. With that said' date=' its important to remember that sports, especially in college, are constantly evolving. Athletes and teams in college sports are constantly moving towards a higher level, and getting better. Programs are improving, and wrestlers today are on a whole different level than wrestlers that competed prior.

Everybody speaks so highly of Brock's wrestling because he was #1 in 2000, I just wanted to bring it to everybody's attention that Cain's #4 finish in 2006 is not far behind and arguably as good as or better than Lesnar's.

I know there is a lot of hype behind Lesnar because he looks like a comic book character, but we have to remember that if Cain's wrestling background is in fact very comparable to Brock's and its rather unfair to count Cain out so quickly. I know that Lesnar fans have nothing else to rely on but Brock's wrestling and beard, but in this case, I don't think he will display such extreme expected dominance in that arena. And because Cain absolutely dominates Lesnar in virtually every other technical aspect of the sport, you have to consider him at very least, a very very difficult fight for Brock.

Never in any UFC fight have I heard people place so much of their hopes and confidence in one guy, and furthermore in one aspect of his game (wrestling) in this multi-faceted sport. Especially, when his opposition has an arguably equivalent skill set in the same department.

[b']Either way, betting all your chips on Brock because of his wrestling in this match, is probably not the safest bet in the world. [/b]

Thanks guys. Thoughts?

I would imagine people are putting all their chips on Brock because of his freakishly huge size not his wrestling.

I am sure they are. But the fact is' date=' Cain has competed with big guys in the past and that's nothing new to him. This is not opinion. This is fact.[/quote']

I'm sure he has he is a very small HW, but it's also a fact that Brock has smashed smaller guys around the size of Cain. I'm not ruling anybody out in this fight Cain would easily take this fight.

Cain is probably all around a better wrestler but it will be hard for Cain to defend Lesnar's shot even being an arguably comparable wrestler. That being said i still think Cain will win

You may be right, thanks for posting. I would think that Lesnar will go for the shot, and Cain will either sprawl and escape. Or, get pushed against the fence while still standing, pummel, clinch, and escape while simultaneously landing s slicing elbow.

Cain's wrestling is not better than Brocks...... His speed' date=' striking and cardio are though and he will win this fight.[/quote']

If you put a #1 college football team up against a #4 college football team, would it be fair to say that either team could win? Of course. Or any soccer team? Baseball team? Of course. I know all those sports are different for a number of reasons and what not. But generally speaking, its fair to say they would be extremely competitive games. The margin between #1, and #4 is not vast. That's all I am trying to say.

Definitely not vast enough to be extremely over confident in one team.

sports' date=' especially in college, are constantly evolving. Athletes and teams in college sports are constantly moving towards a higher level, and getting better. Programs are improving, and [b']wrestlers today are on a whole different level[/b] than wrestlers that competed prior.
Hahaha, so much changed from 2000 to 2006?

Your argument would've been relevant if we compared wrestlers from 1960 and 2010, but not here dude.

In a Lesnar/Cain comparison it is only the each individual that matters.

Hahaha' date=' so much changed from 2000 to 2006?

Your argument would've been relevant if we compared wrestlers from 1960 and 2010, but not here dude.

In a Lesnar/Cain comparison it is only the each individual that matters.[/quote']

In the college world, sports move fast. Another thing, its a short period of time, only 6 years. But its also a short difference in placement. 1st and 4th are not far apart. Don't get too pumped on all Brock's hype. You gotta look at some of the concrete facts. Thanks for posting though.

Cain has never fought anyone with size(that isn't mainly fat), athleticism, strength or even good wrestling.

Cain would have to stick and move but as soon as he comes he could get taken down seen as Brocks shot is very fast for his size and that there is a only small posibility that Cain will stuff all of his shots or get out of the way. And the fact that Kongo took him down doesn't help his case.

Also TBH seen as Rothwell described his punches as "pitter patter" i don't think he would be able to KO Brock unless he was extremely gassed.

My prediction is Brock via TKO round 2

Cain has never fought anyone with size(that isn't mainly fat)' date=' athleticism, strength or even good wrestling.

Cain would have to stick and move but as soon as he comes he could get taken down seen as Brocks shot is very fast for his size and that there is a only small posibility that Cain will stuff all of his shots or get out of the way. And the fact that Kongo took him down doesn't help his case.

Also TBH seen as Rothwell described his punches as "pitter patter" i don't think he would be able to KO Brock unless he was extremely gassed.

My prediction is Brock via TKO round 2[/quote']

Why would Rothwell describe Cain's punches as 'pitter patter'? He got TKO'd!!!!!!!!!!

Now...let's be realistic and compare them on the ground to eachother. Do you HONESTLY believe that Cain Velasquez, even if he could gain temporary control on the ground, can keep Lesnar down? If you believe that, then you're a fool.

Cain does NOT want this fight to go to the ground under ANY circumstances. If Brock even gets a leg over him...it'll be curtains. Brock will dominate Cain, and I think it will be in very convincing fashion.

DONKEY KONG FU!!!

Ummm' date=' I think that one belongs in another forum. Thanks for posting.[/quote']

but back to topic.

I think cain's wrestling is just as technically good as brock's, but it's not as affective in MMA.

that being said, I think cain's wrestling is going to be enough to beat brock tonight.

Now...let's be realistic and compare them on the ground to eachother. Do you HONESTLY believe that Cain Velasquez' date=' even if he could gain temporary control on the ground, can keep Lesnar down? If you believe that, then you're a fool.

Cain does NOT want this fight to go to the ground under ANY circumstances. If Brock even gets a leg over him...it'll be curtains. Brock will dominate Cain, and I think it will be in very convincing fashion.

DONKEY KONG FU!!![/quote']

I don't think Cain does need to hold him down. However, I do think he would have a very good chance of doing it. You know? Like Shane Carwin did? Remember, the game changes when you're getting punched in the face. Also, if Lesnar does stand up, Cain has an extreme advantage on the feet and Brock will get KO'd there instead.

I can't see how someone could consider an All-american better than a NCAA Champ. How many brain cells does it take to figure out being that champ (Brock) is better than not being (Cain)?

Relax. I never said Cain was unarguably better. I just gave some insight on some thoughts to consider. And if you read the thread, you would know exactly why I posted it. Obviously you didn't read the whole thing or have a selective memory.

Point is, Brock's or Cain's wrestling is not immensely better than the other.

I wanted to give a little insight on why Cain's wrestling is arguably as good as if not better than Brock's. Here is why: the time frames. Brock was Div. 1 champ in 2000. Cain placed 4th in 2006. With that said' date=' its important to remember that sports, especially in college, are constantly evolving. Athletes and teams in college sports are constantly moving towards a higher level, and getting better. Programs are improving, and wrestlers today are on a whole different level than wrestlers that competed prior.

Either way, betting all your chips on Brock because of his wrestling in this match, is probably not the safest bet in the world.

Thanks guys. Thoughts?[/quote']

Poor comparison.

Brock's wrestling is way better IMO. But, Velasquez has a very good shot at winning this fight for other reasons.

4th place is not Div. 1 nat'l champ. 4th place means he lost his last two matches in the tourn. doesn't matter which year. and Lesnar has been wrestling ever since. WWE maybe, but he has still been wrestling and evolving. If Cain is gonna win he's got to stay on his feet, IMO.

Poor comparison.

Brock's wrestling is way better IMO. But' date=' Velasquez has a very good shot at winning this fight for other reasons.

4th place is not Div. 1 nat'l champ. 4th place means he lost his last two matches in the tourn. doesn't matter which year. and Lesnar has been wrestling ever since. WWE maybe, but he has still been wrestling and evolving. If Cain is gonna win he's got to stay on his feet, IMO.[/quote']

Come you seriously can't say WWE is Wrestling it's more smoke and mirror

Are you serious? He was standing up when the ref stopped it' date=' he was not in trouble. He was getting dominated by wrestling but his punches didn't seem to be hurting him, it was a controversial stoppage.[/quote']

I didn't see it that way. Either way, the ref stopped it. Rothwell was getting beat down whether he was in trouble or not.

Poor comparison.

Brock's wrestling is way better IMO. But' date=' Velasquez has a very good shot at winning this fight for other reasons.

4th place is not Div. 1 nat'l champ. 4th place means he lost his last two matches in the tourn. doesn't matter which year. and Lesnar has been wrestling ever since. WWE maybe, but he has still been wrestling and evolving. If Cain is gonna win he's got to stay on his feet, IMO.[/quote']

Poor comparison? It doesn't get much better. A sport as competitive as college wrestling is one where the top 10 guys are very very close in skill set and ability. That's undeniable. And I cannot believe you really brought the WWE into this. THAT in fact would be a poor comparison.

Predictor you must be Mexican or something because you know that Brock's wrestling is superior to Cain's. You have no idea what you're talking about. If you thought that the ref saved Rothwell's life in that fight you must have been ****ed up or something while watching that. That shouldn't have even been stopped

Yeah because nutthuggers have to be the same race as their favorite fighter right idiot? , cuz every guy in the forums that loves Gsp is canadian huh?

Predictor you must be Mexican or something because you know that Brock's wrestling is superior to Cain's. You have no idea what you're talking about. If you thought that the ref saved Rothwell's life in that fight you must have been ****ed up or something while watching that. That shouldn't have even been stopped

I am white, ha. But its cool, my opinion is my opinion. I guess we will see tonight whose wrestling is better.

I never said one guy's wrestling is better than the other. I am just saying its much closer than most people give Cain credit for.

I am white' date=' ha. But its cool, my opinion is my opinion. I guess we will see tonight whose wrestling is better.

I never said one guy's wrestling is better than the other. I am just saying its much closer than most people give Cain credit for.[/quote']

Albino?

Hahaha' date=' so much changed from 2000 to 2006?

In a Lesnar/Cain comparison it is only the each individual that matters.[/quote']

if you consider that he's comparing the two years etc etc... he kinda says that Kurt Angle's Olympic gold medal is worth nothing today! Ahh ofc! Cheers! this starts to seem like those crazy MM maths xD

I think that both guys are pretty even with wrestling, but Lesnar gets the advantage due to his size, strength, and the fact the hes that quick for his size. But I dont think that Cain should be as worried about stuffing Brocks takedowns moving around the octagon, but more so when Brock has him pushed up against the fence. I think that Brocks best way to take Cain down will be by doing that. Cain just needs to keep moving and stay away from the fence.

But one thing that I dont understand: why is everyone giving Cain so much credit for his stand-up? I agree that he has better stand-up than Brock, but its still not great. Everyone seems to forget that before he KOd Big Nog(who isnt known for his strong stand-up) he got beat-up on the feet by Kongo and continuously took Rothwell down to avoid getting in a stand-up fight with him.

this is a dumb thread, look at their college record, cain never placed higher then 4th, brock lesnar was #2 in 99 and then #1 in 2000. brock lesnar only has 5 loses in 4 years, cain has 17.

now im not at all a lesnar fan but to say cain is just as good as wrestler is dumb. not only that brock has 20 more wins then cain and 12 less losses

this is a dumb thread' date=' look at their college record, cain never placed higher then 4th, brock lesnar was #2 in 99 and then #1 in 2000. brock lesnar only has 5 loses in 4 years, cain has 17.

now im not at all a lesnar fan but to say cain is just as good as wrestler is dumb. not only that brock has 20 more wins then cain and 12 less losses[/quote']

I am not saying that Cain's wrestling is better by any means. I am just saying that the difference between their skills is not as vast as everybody seems to think.

this is a dumb thread' date=' look at their college record, cain never placed higher then 4th, brock lesnar was #2 in 99 and then #1 in 2000. brock lesnar only has 5 loses in 4 years, cain has 17.

now im not at all a lesnar fan but to say cain is just as good as wrestler is dumb. not only that brock has 20 more wins then cain and 12 less losses[/quote']

Not to mention that loss in 99 was by a single point to a senior wrestler, everyone vastly underestimates brocks pure wrestling skill.

There wrestling is comparable I'd say Cain has better Technique but Brock makes up for it in size... Let me ask you this though how many dozens of ppl on here were saying the same thing about Carwin... Oh no way Carwin is as good a wrestler a Brock cuz Brock was D1 and Carwin was D2. Well until he gassed himself out Brock couldn't take him down and Carwin out wrestled him.

What ppl don't seem to get is that College wrestling and MMA wrestling are 2 completely different things.

Wrestling Takedowns are much harder to get because the striking element is gone

MMA Takedowns are about timing and trips and throws are much easier because of the difference in stances.

Although I do believe their college wrestling is comparable I would prob give the edge to Brock mostly because of his size. But this is not college this is MMA and I believe Brock does have an advantage in his size no doubt but there is also no doubt CAIN HAS THE BETTER MMA WRESTLING.

Let me have it Brock Lovers

There wrestling is comparable I'd say Cain has better Technique but Brock makes up for it in size... Let me ask you this though how many dozens of ppl on here were saying the same thing about Carwin... Oh no way Carwin is as good a wrestler a Brock cuz Brock was D1 and Carwin was D2. Well until he gassed himself out Brock couldn't take him down and Carwin out wrestled him.

What ppl don't seem to get is that College wrestling and MMA wrestling are 2 completely different things.

MMA Takedowns are about timing and trips and throws are much easier because of the difference in stances.

Although I do believe their college wrestling is comparable I would prob give the edge to Brock mostly because of his size. But this is not college this is MMA and I believe Brock does have an advantage in his size no doubt but there is also no doubt CAIN HAS THE BETTER MMA WRESTLING.

Cain was taken down by Kongo.

That good enough?

Seriously though this thread is stupid.

Cain is a good wrestler.

Brock is a better one.

OMFG your a complete idiot!! Happy

Archived