Sign in to follow this  
Tjinjatu

The Can-Opener

I highly doubt its illegal, its just that while it can be painful its fairly easy to get out of and I doubt you will see anyone get tapped with it more or less its used for transitions.

Neck cranks are illegal in amateur MMA, at least they are in SC and NC, I don't know about other states. Neck cranks are legal in Pro MMA. The can opener is mainly just used to get your opponent to open their guard so you can pass it. It just doesn't work on UFC level competitors.

Neck cranks are illegal in amateur MMA' date=' at least they are in SC and NC, I don't know about other states. Neck cranks are legal in Pro MMA. The can opener is mainly just used to get your opponent to open their guard so you can pass it. It just doesn't work on UFC level competitors.[/quote']

Yeah, I just see can-openers occasionally being used to open guards. I never seen or heard of anyone at the pro level tapping from one.

Yeah' date=' I just see can-openers occasionally being used to open guards. I never seen or heard of anyone at the pro level tapping from one.[/quote']

I'm pretty sure Mark Coleman had at least one victory from it...if not him then Mark Kerr...one of those old-school brutes...