Does they ming ever really allow us to change the person we are?

Early_Cuyler

For argument's sake let's take an indvidual and say he has been kicked around his whole life from his parent's on up. During this time frame he develops defense mechanisms that allow him to attack before he's attacked because that's what his mind has grown him accustomed too. That all people are bad/greedy/uncarring/ whatever.

Ok, now let's fast forward that same individual 10 years later. His life is going good, he's independant, happy for the most part with the world he's in, and successful, Yet he still has very few people around due to the fact that he still has these defense mechanisms that go off anytime he feel's like someone is getting to know to much about them.

Even if this individual truely wanted to change that character flaw about himself, would he be able too? Or would his mind have become so use to it over the years that it would automatically revert to that sort of behavior before any other?

Psychology I know, but hey! It's friday and im killing time.

I think people can modify their behavior' date=' but it will never be natural. Using the case in the OP, they will always have to make a concious effort to be more open with people.[/quote']

So in your opinion it will never be automatic? The individual will always feel uncomfotable with it because he's constantly trying to go against what he really wants to do?

Yes, he can change his whole train of thought but the process will take a long time.

Studies have shown behavioral problems can be changed. It will not change over-night, but through gradual advances and mental therapy, one can change the thought process of any mind. This is the same technique used in business seminars. To become successful, you have to change your train of thought and believe you can achieve.

It is mostly about changing habits and tricking the mind to accept what was not accepted before.

Anyone can change but, I must say to do it alone or without professional help, is rather difficult. There are psychological suggestions which we can subject the mind to but not knowing those suggestions and techniques will make the change very difficult for someone who has limited knowledge of psychology.

At ease :P

I think people can modify their behavior' date=' but it will never be natural. Using the case in the OP, they will always have to make a concious effort to be more open with people.[/quote']

I believe this to be true.. I've made changes in certain areas but it is a constant battle to not revert back.

Yes' date=' he can change his whole train of thought but the process will take a long time.

Studies have shown behavioral problems can be changed. It will not change over-night, but through gradual advances and mental therapy, one can change the thought process of any mind. This is the same technique used in business seminars. To become successful, you have to change your train of thought and believe you can achieve.

It is mostly about changing habits and tricking the mind to accept what was not accepted before.

Anyone can change but, I must say to do it alone or without professional help, is rather difficult. There are psychological suggestions which we can subject the mind to but not knowing those suggestions and techniques will make the change very difficult for someone who has limited knowledge of psychology.

At ease :P[/quote']

Ok, let's say the guy get's the Psychological help, he thinks he's good to go, he get's in a social situation around numerous people he doesn't know...Wouldn't his mind still be giving him the information which is most normal to him instead of the information he recieved from the shrink?

I have an I.D.10T form you need to sign BTW.

Ok' date=' let's say the guy get's the Psychological help, he thinks he's good to go, he get's in a social situation around numerous people he doesn't know...Wouldn't his mind still be giving him the information which is most normal to him instead of the information he recieved from the shrink?

I have an I.D.10T form you need to sign BTW.[/quote']

Like I said, this process will take some time. Changing an established train of thought is slow and difficult but it has been done. How do you think some people are able to go through re-hab successfully?

Anyway, what is this form you are talking about?

I received an honorable discharge. I am only aware of a DDT-14 which is my discharge document.

Like I said' date=' this process will take some time. Changing an established train of thought is slow and difficult but it has been done. How do you think some people are able to go through re-hab successfully?

Anyway, what is this form you are talking about?

I received an honorable discharge. I am only aware of a DDT-14 which is my discharge document.[/quote']

You were navy and you don't know what an I.D.10T form is?...Im ashamed of you Fu, take out the dots and it spells ID10T...It's a navy prank thats been going for generations.

And it's a DD-214...Not a DDT-14

You were navy and you don't know what an I.D.10T form is?...Im ashamed of you Fu' date=' take out the dots and it spells ID10T...It's a navy prank thats been going for generations.

And it's a DD-214...Not a DDT-14[/quote']

You expect me to remember these fine details. I have been out for nearly 8 years...It is only my keen memory which has allowed me to remember that much of it.

What does the N.A.V.Y stand for?

So basically you did the bare minimun? Way to go beyond the call of duty.

I am glad my life and freedom rested on your hands.

I did as I was told, they gave me my 9mm, my m240, my boat, and told me where to patrol......Would you rather I do what they didn't tell me to do?...That would have gotten me far.

For argument's sake let's take an indvidual and say he has been kicked around his whole life from his parent's on up. During this time frame he develops defense mechanisms that allow him to attack before he's attacked because that's what his mind has grown him accustomed too. That all people are bad/greedy/uncarring/ whatever.

Ok' date=' now let's fast forward that same individual 10 years later. His life is going good, he's independant, happy for the most part with the world he's in, and successful, Yet he still has very few people around due to the fact that he still has these defense mechanisms that go off anytime he feel's like someone is getting to know to much about them.

Even if this individual truely wanted to change that character flaw about himself, would he be able too? Or would his mind have become so use to it over the years that it would automatically revert to that sort of behavior before any other?

Psychology I know, but hey! It's friday and im killing time.[/quote']

First and foremost someone who has been kicked around all their life such that they attack people and grow up friendless is unlikely to develop into a happy person.

It has been stated in the scientific community>>what you are at age 5 is a strong indicator of what you will be the rest of your life. This is not true for all cases, but for the most part, it is true.

At the tender age of 5, your brain will have been wired a certain way. This is the reason kids are better at learning new things such as music and language. The brain has been wired to a learning stage.

An adult will have more difficulties learning a new language and music because their dendrites will have already been trimmed whereas the child has dendrites which are ready to be used and take on new tasks and challenges.

If you are not German, try speaking German. You will have difficulty with pronunciation because you have synaptic gaps which will be difficult to breach. The child can learn German rather easily because he or she will not have synaptic gaps. The brain will allow him or her to do so because his or her dendrites are plentiful and eager to take on new tasks.

The ultimate argument here is genetics versus environmental pressures.

It is believe genetics and environmental pressures play an equal amount of role when determining the personality, intelligence, and capabilities of a person.

That is a learned and conditioned response. Anything which can be learned' date=' can be unlearned with the right effort and focus of the individual.

But as with everything involving mankind, it is entirely up to the individual.[/quote']

You cant "unlearn" anything, not without brain damage. The brain doesn't have an "erase" button, only a "save all" button.

Archived