Can big Nogueira become a top contender again?

Craig_M

I think he can, but its going to take some changes to his training.

Now that his chin seems to be weakening, he will need to work on his defence. He has never had good boxing defence, but his amazing chin has always compensated for this... (how often have we seen Nog used as a punch bag, then getting a submission).

Also, he needs to work his wrestling... without wrestling he cant use his main weapon, bjj.

Maybe he could try out some new camps, at Blackhouse have Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva help him practice not getting hit so much. Mark Munoz could help his wrestling.

Thoughts?

As much as I like him, Big Nog can no longer remain in contention. The new breed of HWs are either too big or too fast.

Nog will stay relevant and in the top 10 but will probably never fight for a title again in the ufc. That does not mean he will not be champion ever again. There are smaller fight orgs which he most definitely can contest the HW belt.

I think he can' date=' but its going to take some changes to his training.

Now that his chin seems to be weakening, he will need to work on his defence. He has never had good boxing defence, but his amazing chin has always compensated for this... (how often have we seen Nog used as a punch bag, then getting a submission).

Also, he needs to work his wrestling... without wrestling he cant use his main weapon, bjj.

Maybe he could try out some new camps, at Blackhouse have Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva help him practice not getting hit so much. Mark Munoz could help his wrestling.

Thoughts?[/quote']

Yes he can IF HE STOPS HIS "BOXING" AND USE HIS BJJ.

Big Nog is a icon BJJ and that how he became a legend. I just dont understand why he was trading punches against Cain for instance.

If on the fight against Cain he tried harder to get the fight to the ground I have no doubt he would make Cain tap out.

If Big Nog works on his take downs he would be just unbeatable still

As much as I like him' date=' Big Nog can no longer remain in contention. The new breed of HWs are either too big or too fast.

Nog will stay relevant and in the top 10 but will probably never fight for a title again in the ufc. That does not mean he will not be champion ever again. There are smaller fight orgs which he most definitely can contest the HW belt.[/quote']

why disrespect legend in sport you no fan of mma

I like big Nog, but no. His prime has come and gone. He's a great legend of the sport, but it's time to become a trainer or commentator. It's the same thing as with Chuck Liddell. He can still compete, but not like he used to. Now it's a question of how he wants to go out: as a top contender or as a knock out highlight reel for some other up and comers. I wish it wasn't true, but it is.

I like big Nog' date=' but no. His prime has come and gone. He's a great legend of the sport, but it's time to become a trainer or commentator. It's the same thing as with Chuck Liddell. He can still compete, but not like he used to. Now it's a question of how he wants to go out: as a top contender or as a knock out highlight reel for some other up and comers. I wish it wasn't true, but it is.[/quote']

this

I love Nog but he has taken a lot of punishment in his career. Fedor dribbled his head off the canvas a few too many times. Sapp got some heavy shots in too.

Even in a lot of Nogs wins he got dropped big twice just in the UFC. Herring blasted him with head kick and Sylvia caught him with a left hook, straight right that floored him.

Nog is a legend and can still fight but his days as the top contender are over and I also base this off his health not just how many fights/wars he has.

Nog currently has hip injuries... think about that for a second for a BJJ fighter that likes to box. Hip injury will not only take away from his ability to fight/submit off his back but it will reflect on how hard he is able to punch. When he's healthy he's still going to be too small to take the belt.

Thoughts?[/quote']

Only a fool would want too grapple with Rodrigo thats all, If Rodrigo Could develop his standup enough too where guys would have too shoot on him i believe he could beat any heavyweight in the UFC. But as long as his standup is a weakness in his game winning fights will be hard for him.

Lol he already trains at Blackhouse' date=' He will never have a chance at a belt anymore howeve. He is too old and too small to compete against todays heavyweights.[/quote']

what ?

Cain is smaller than ME. and he beat Lesnar like a slave got beat by his massa!

I be interested in his next fight, I dont think he has got a problem with his chin.

The Mir fight, he was coming off staph infection. So he was a whole lot weakened.

And against Cain, Id like to see anyone take a shot like NOG took and not get KO.

I wanna see NOG fight either Lesnar, Mir or Cro Cop.

As much as I like him' date=' Big Nog can no longer remain in contention. The new breed of HWs are either too big or too fast.

Nog will stay relevant and in the top 10 but will probably never fight for a title again in the ufc. That does not mean he will not be champion ever again. There are smaller fight orgs which he most definitely can contest the HW belt.[/quote']

Oh man, it's sad but it's true. He is not as limber as he use to be and the top notch fighters in the ufc are on to his style already. He will make it probably as far as being a hall of famer, maybe even win some fights against some mediocre opponents. But as far as being a champ in the ufc is concern, it's grasping at straws...

Thoughts?[/quote']

NO

Archived