body shots vs punches to the face

TYRONEWAYNESMITH

depends. if you wan't to knock someone out. you'd punch them in the face as many times as possible and as hard as possible.

the body on the other hand. punches could wind them/ break a a rib. and doing so would be easier for a takedown / transition / submission.

we've all seen what a body shot and a face shot can do. both dangerous.

but i guess face punches would be more effective. all it takes is clean shot on the button for it to be over..

both very effective though. and i do believe people underestimate body shots and how much they would hurt.

A "shot to the button" need not be a high force blow if it cranks your head about the neck and gets to the nerves involved. Body shots are about hitting high nerve(vital organ) areas. It's about precise placement over brute force. Guys that hit like Tank Abbot can get lucky though. B

It depends on what you want to do. A hard left body shot drops the opponents hands leaving them open for a right shot to the chin. In theory. So therefore the body shot is important for setting up the head shot. In this day and age no singular aspect of MMA is more important than the rest. BJJ was godly at first, then everyone else learned enough to at least defend against it. Kickboxing also. It is now the wrestling that needs to be focused on. After that, who knows.

Obviously head punches are far more likely to lead to a knock out etc... but if they aren't clean enough to stun you they do next to nothing once you get used to eating a few.

Body rips and leg kicks are far more effective in causing effective damage to an opponent over time... but the 2 things that make them less popular in mma are:

1) The judges... lets face it, they're idiots. Fighters are experts at hiding when they've been hurt. You could land 3-4 thudding leg kicks and a few short left hooks to the body and have a guy about 1-2 punches from folding in half and tapping, yet lose the round because of the 3 soft jabs that touched ur face during the onslaught.

2) It's very difficult to finish somebody with any type of body blow... The last time I remember seeing it in a mma fight was Melvin Guillard dropping a knee into someone a few cards ago.

Both types of punches obviously have strong points... but personally I much prefer eating a few shots to the face (except for Hendo-esque haymakers) than copping shots to the liver or leg kicks.

Archived