why would a #1 contender take a fight with someone coming off a loss

bootsoda

Its getting old hearing people complaining how rashad wouldnt fight machida why would rashad take a fight with machida coming off a loss it dont make much sence as next in line for a title shot to face him all thought i dont agree with him complaining about how long its taking rua he should have fought someone near the top on a win streak for a interm title

Its getting old hearing people complaining how rashad wouldnt fight machida why would rashad take a fight with machida coming off a loss it dont make much sence as next in line for a title shot to face him all thought i dont agree with him complaining about how long its taking rua he should have fought someone near the top on a win streak for a interm title

1. He knows Machida would tool him again, which he really can't afford.

2. No one else is available. The only people near his rank right now are Shogun (Out), Machida (ducking), Bader (Has a fight), Jones (Has fight and is team mate), and I guess the next closest would be Forrest who already has a fight

and already beat. Plus Forrest is not near the top of the division. So pointless match up. Was Shogun already out at the Rashad/Rampage fight? If he was I'm suprised Dana White didn't make that an interim title bout.

I think Shogun had started his training camp for that fight, then his knees went out. Could be wrong, though.

As for OP, Rashad may be complaining about having to wait, but he knows he doesn't want to fight someone right now. The only two credible opponents for him at the moment are Rampage and Machida. And when Machida gets done opening a can of whoop *** on Rampage, Machida will be the only one left. And Rashad sure as hell doesn't want another *** kicking by Machida.

and already beat. Plus Forrest is not near the top of the division. So pointless match up. Was Shogun already out at the Rashad/Rampage fight? If he was I'm suprised Dana White didn't make that an interim title bout.

A rematch is due! Forrest was dominating til he got caught :D

I'm well aware Forrest isn't near the top, I did have to list about 5 or 6 guys ahead of him, counting Rashad and Shogun.

A rematch is due! Forrest was dominating til he got caught :D

I'm well aware Forrest isn't near the top' date=' I did have to list about 5 or 6 guys ahead of him, counting Rashad and Shogun.[/quote']

Yeah, I know. Just saying that when you're getting that far down the list to find someone for the number one contender to fight in the meantime it's a little on the pointless side. And not a good career move should Evans have happened to (hopefully) lose.

I think rashad should have to fight the winner of rampage and machida that would be a good interm title match

Well, current reports are that Shogun should be good to defend his title in March. So an interim match at this point would be pointless.

However, should an interim fight be made, I know Rashad would rather fight Rampage than Machida. He wouldn't be able to hug his way to UD against Machida.

Oh, I wasn't insisting it happens that way, but say Machida and Bones win, and face each other for number 1 contender, and Shogun beats Rashad, then the 3rd fight is of division relevance and has been earned, so I wouldn't complain about it. Just means those 2 guys are fighting again cause they are the best in the division.

Oh' date=' I wasn't insisting it happens that way, but say Machida and Bones win, and face each other for number 1 contender, and Shogun beats Rashad, then the 3rd fight is of division relevance and has been earned, so I wouldn't complain about it. Just means those 2 guys are fighting again cause they are the best in the division.[/quote']

True.

But just like I know Machida beats Rashad 9.9/10, I think Shogun beats Machida 9.9/10. Machida's style just matches up bad against Shogun. Even Machida admitted after the second fight that his karate will never beat Shogun's Muay Thai.

So I can't honestly say I'm too interested in a third fight unless Machida has made very drastic changes to his style.

So that becomes the question, doesn't it. Can Machida adapt to Shogun? If the 3rd fight is earned, I won't complain. And honestly I think that's the way the division should got in terms of setting up the number one contender spot. Not award it to the winner of the Machida/Rampage or Bones/Bader. Make winner fight winner.

Shogun is just ducking bro...

He is waiting for Rashad to die of old age (or gang related violence (all black guys are in gangs... come on)). And then Shogun will retire with the belt and all the pride fan boys will jack it to pictures of shogun in his white trunks... True Story!

1. He knows Machida would tool him again' date=' which he really can't afford.

2. No one else is available. The only people near his rank right now are Shogun (Out), Machida (ducking), Bader (Has a fight), Jones (Has fight and is team mate), and I guess the next closest would be Forrest who already has a fight[/quote']

Well said.

Shogun is just ducking bro...

He is waiting for Rashad to die of old age (or gang related violence (all black guys are in gangs... come on)). And then Shogun will retire with the belt and all the pride fan boys will jack it to pictures of shogun in his white trunks... True Story!

The only thing worse than fanboys are idiots who really think they're funny.

1. He knows Machida would tool him again' date=' which he really can't afford.

2. No one else is available. The only people near his rank right now are Shogun (Out), Machida (ducking), Bader (Has a fight), Jones (Has fight and is team mate), and I guess the next closest would be Forrest who already has a fight[/quote']

+1 theres no one really in the LHW division near his rank. maybe he could fight couture but couture isnt near his rank. so yeah machida but man machida would just outstrike him unless rashad goes for the shot

+1 theres no one really in the LHW division near his rank. maybe he could fight couture but couture isnt near his rank. so yeah machida but man machida would just outstrike him unless rashad goes for the shot

and his wrassling won't work against machida, he will be owned in all aspect by machida

You know what I'm sick of? I'm sick of people acting like the UFC uses rankings to determine anything. Wins and losses dont count in the UFC. Its about match-ups. If Evans fights machida after his first lost do you really think if he beats machida that the UFC will see it as "oh he should ahve beat him, machida lost his last fight and he isnt that good?" thats BS!

Machida is one of the best fighters in the world. beating him is much better than him beating almost any other fighter who is coming off a win or a string of wins. The thing is, Evans doesnt want to fight Machida, not because machida lost but because Machida kicked his butt! Evans sees Machida as his threat to losing since he is the only guy to ahve beat him.

Avoiding Fighting machida has nothing to do with his record it has to do with the fact that he is a badass fighter and its a high % that Evans would lose and not get Rua.

Basically, Evans is a coward! He has said he will fight anyone that is put in front of him... I guess not.

This is why guys like Leben, Forrest, Randy are so well liked. they always take the fight regardless of how it may effect their record or future fights.

well anyone coming off a loss would be kinda dumb but when it's the former champ who just lost his throne I mean.. Machida is still #2 in the division in my opinion. No1 else has defeated him and Rashad was totaly owned when he faced him. How relevent is that to compete for the title without even avenging such a recent loss. How can he be a credible champion while knowing that the guy who took his belt away is still competing there and is ready to take him, while he refuses to do so.

Sry to say that because I'm a fan of Rashad's, but he's ducking. Rashad wants the money and fame that comes with the championship belt. He doesn't want to prove he's the best fighter at all he just wants the title because it's good business. That's smart, but that's still more than enough to have people *****ing about it.

So yeah.. Machida is coming off a loss but his only loss in his whole carreer is this actual loss to the guy who is the current champion. If Machida had never defeated Rashad it would be a diffrent story but since he has.. I think many people just like me don't see the relevency of having Rashad waiting for a year to get his title shot when the guy who totally dominated him recently is ready to go for an interim. I think the UFC should not make this fight happen because if Machida won, it'd suck to have Shogun fight Machida 3 times in a row. But it should've been the UFC's to turn down this fight. If Rashad had some pride he shoulda accepted that fight.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Why the hell would he give up his opportunity for the belt?

Yeah' date=' I feel the same way. Why the hell would he give up his opportunity for the belt?[/quote']

It is smart for him to wait, unfortunately waiting comes with the consequences of him being seen as avoiding other top tier fighters and giving the impression that he is scared to fight Machida and other fighters.

If you look at the fighters that would make sense for him to fight there really isnt anyone left but Randy Couture.

If you want to use the loss factor as discoutning other fighters than Silva, Ramapage, Machida, Lil Nog are all out since they all lsot their last fight.

Bones and Bader are the only left with wins that are top level and tehy are scheduled to fight one another. SO Randy is the only big name left that would make sense for Evans to fight. And we all know that Evans doesnt match up well with Randy. Evans would be forced to stand (which he is good at) but Randy is a master gameplaner and would dirty box the crap out of Evans which would destroy all chances of a title shot.

True Champions fight anybody. Chuck was next for Tito's belt & Dana told him to please wait for Tito to fight Shamrock. What did Chuck do? He wanted to fight anyways even if it wasn't for the title. He fought & risked losing & giving up his title shot. A TRUE WARRIOR.

Never know. The winner of the Jones/Bader fight could get the next shot before the winner of Machida/Rampage. A Shogun/Jones fight could be pretty interesting.

interesting point...

I see Evans/ Jones becoming the Kos/Fitch/ of the LHW division... both worthy of at title shot and when one is the champ the other won't fight him.

Hamill vs. Evans!

It makes sense since Jones & Jardine have fought him (just like Jardine had to fight Evans' opponent first save for Machida)

That's a fight I wanted long before Evans was in title contention, I know most people will think I'm crazy but I see Hamill winning.

Archived