Does anyone else think Leben got shafted?

D_Wreck1406053110

Ive thought about this lately and Leben is getting ****ed by the UFC, and please if your posting in this thread, disregard Leben's recent DUI arrest, just look at the fighting and not his personal life.......

I mean come on really......he beats Simpson and 2 weeks later takes out Akiyama, then the UFC turns around and gives Akiyama a main event slot after coming off a loss to Leben

Seriously, what the ****? They give Leben a fight with Brian Stann, that just completely ****ing one of their bigger names out of something he clearly deserves which is either a bigger name fight, maybe even a top 10 guy for his troubles (I think after winning AND FINISHING 2 fights in 2 weeks it is more than well deserved) or at the very least a Main Event slot on a free event on spike or something?

Thoughts?

I just really really believe the UFC completely shafted him on what he really deserved

Ive thought about this lately and Leben is getting ****ed by the UFC' date=' and please if your posting in this thread, disregard Leben's recent DUI arrest, just look at the fighting and not his personal life.......

I mean come on really......he beats Simpson and 2 weeks later takes out Akiyama, then the UFC turns around and gives Akiyama a main event slot after coming off a loss to Leben

Seriously, what the ****? They give Leben a fight with Brian Stann, that just completely ****ing one of their bigger names out of something he clearly deserves which is either a bigger name fight, maybe even a top 10 guy for his troubles (I think after winning AND FINISHING 2 fights in 2 weeks it is more than well deserved) or at the very least a Main Event slot on a free event on spike or something?

Thoughts?

I just really really believe the UFC completely shafted him on what he really deserved[/quote']

Gingers always come off second.

Agreed. I love Leben's fights.

Yes, his earlier fights he did not have such great technique, he still learning like all fighters are, but I like the fact that he goes into every fight looking to finish it anyway possible, win lose or draw, Leben comes to fight and he ****ing brings it every time

He is definatly a breath of fresh air in the era of lay and pray *******

Ive thought about this lately and Leben is getting ****ed by the UFC' date=' and please if your posting in this thread, disregard Leben's recent DUI arrest, just look at the fighting and not his personal life.......

Thoughts?

I just really really believe the UFC completely shafted him on what he really deserved[/quote']

You know im not much of a fan of Leben and usually root against him depending on his opponent, but he defintely got screwed. I have him ranked right behind marquart and okami he should be fighting either wandy, sonnen when hes back, or munoz/bisping at WORST or some top tier fighter. Stanns last fight was against Mike Massenzio lol now he gets leben after leben beats simpson and akiyama back to back in like two weeks lol seems lose-lose for leben.

well guys he's already lost to Bisping ( while testing positive for PEDs) so that fight couldnt really of went to him and Akiyama is a much bigger draw than Leben globally, after he walks through Brian Stann he'll probably get Wandy which damn thats gunna be a hell of a fight but right now he's working his way back up and paying his dues for testing positive.

well guys he's already lost to Bisping ( while testing positive for PEDs) so that fight couldnt really of went to him and Akiyama is a much bigger draw than Leben globally' date=' after he walks through Brian Stann he'll probably get Wandy which damn thats gunna be a hell of a fight but right now he's working his way back up and paying his dues for testing positive.[/quote']

Akiyama a bigger draw than Leben globally, really?

You mean in Japan only?

Akiyama a bigger draw than Leben globally' date=' really?

You mean in Japan only?[/quote']

try all of asia, now he's had 3 fotn awards in 3 fights, Leben has only had 2 in about 5 times more UFC fights, dont get me wrong im a big big Leben fan but Akiyama is worth way more to the UFC than Leben

Testing positive for roids, getting arrested (again) for a DUI, the dude is lucky to still have a job.

You can say to disregard his personal issues outside of the ring, but if the UFC wants to be taken seriously as a corporate entity in the mainstream media then they better be paying attention, and apparently they are. Ask the NFL and NBA how important their personal conduct policies are to their overall corporate identity when it comes to things such as network TV deals and sponsorships.

And let's face it, Bisping slapped him around, then Akiyama did until he gassed and got sloppy against the walking dead that Leben was. Leben is an entertaining mid-card fighter at best to be honest, he has done nothing to show he deserves to be elevated anywhere above that, either inside of the ring or out.

Thoughts?

the problem is that Leben is a dead end. He's like the icon of Silva's dominance I don't think they want him anywhere near the top contention cuz it'd be hard to market...

Or maybe the explaination is even more simple than that : Akiyama is a big name outside the UFC and they're granting him a couple chances.

Testing positive for roids' date=' getting arrested (again) for a DUI, the dude is lucky to still have a job.

You can say to disregard his personal issues outside of the ring, but if the UFC wants to be taken seriously as a corporate entity in the mainstream media then they better be paying attention, and apparently they are. Ask the NFL and NBA how important their personal conduct policies are to their overall corporate identity when it comes to things such as network TV deals and sponsorships.

And let's face it, Bisping slapped him around, then Akiyama did until he gassed and got sloppy against the walking dead that Leben was. Leben is an entertaining mid-card fighter at best to be honest, he has done nothing to show he deserves to be elevated anywhere above that, either inside of the ring or out.[/quote']

He is lucky to have ajob IMO. Dana just knows he is a fan fav. And makes himthe $$$

Leben is mainly just a main card filler like Guida' date=' good for the fans but no title contention.

Also with the Akiyama fight, yes it was extremely exciting but he was also losing that fight and the only real improvement that was shown was his BJJ.[/quote']

Agreed. Leben has a solid fanbase and sells PPV's.

I just dont understand how they can do that to a guy who wins twice in 2 weeks and finishes both opponents' date=' its just plain rediculous.

Honestly I think he should have either Okami or Marquardts spot for this weekend[/quote']

I dont know if he should have a spot over Okami or Nate but he should be fighting a top 10 fighter. He should be fighting Maia, Palhares, Lawlor, or CB Dolloway.

Testing positive for roids' date=' getting arrested (again) for a DUI, the dude is lucky to still have a job.

And let's face it, Bisping slapped him around, then Akiyama did until he gassed and got sloppy against the walking dead that Leben was. Leben is an entertaining mid-card fighter at best to be honest, [b']he has done nothing to show he deserves to be elevated anywhere above that[/b], either inside of the ring or out.

are you kidding me? the guy finishes 2 fights in 2 weeks and doesnt deserve to fight a name bigger than Stann? Im calling ********. I mean come on, it seems like more and more fights are going to decision and are getting boring because fighters are point fighting and trying to eek out a decision, but Leben goes after it from beginning to end, he comes to finish.

He did the UFC a favor by taking that Akiyama fight, I really dont think there are many people who would do that at that point in their carrer, they could have at least thrown him a bigger name.....

And really im sick of people saying "oh so and so was losing the fight until he blah blah blah" so what if Leben was losing to Akiyama? Obviously Akiyama did not do enough to come out with the W that night and Leben did.

The guy is a great fighter with some personal demons which we ALL have wether we recognize them or not, and noone should be judged on those.

Hopefully this Stann fight is just a little something to tie him over until Wandy is better, I really realll would like to see Wandy vs. Leben, while I doubt it would be a main-event, I would buy the PPV for that fight alone

Thoughts?

I am a huge Leben fan and can understand what you're saying, but Leben has been inconsistant in the past, and will need to dominate Stann convincingly. After that, I believe Dana will push him up the ladder.

I'm pretty sure he is. The only time I've really seen his natural hair colour is during TUF and he looked pretty ginger there.

You might want to get your eyeballs checked, his hair is actually dark brown.You seriously thought his ronald mcdonald dye job was real? ROFLMAO. Darwin called, he said he was going to make an example out of you.

well guys he's already lost to Bisping ( while testing positive for PEDs) so that fight couldnt really of went to him and Akiyama is a much bigger draw than Leben globally' date=' after he walks through Brian Stann he'll probably get Wandy which damn thats gunna be a hell of a fight but right now he's working his way back up and paying his dues for testing positive.[/quote']

This.

And let's face it, Bisping slapped him around, then Akiyama did until he gassed and got sloppy against the walking dead that Leben was. Leben is an entertaining mid-card fighter at best to be honest, he has done nothing to show he deserves to be elevated anywhere above that, either inside of the ring or out.[/quote']

You're trippin' on a number of levels.

A.) The UFC is not the NFL or the NBA.

B.) Leben is coming off two wins, two finishes, a fight of the night, and a win over highly ranked Akiyama.

C.) Fact is fact, Akiyama is ranked higher than Stann. If Leben beat Akiyama, it sucks for him to have to fight Stann. Especially when Akiyama went on to fight Bisping (ranked fairly high in the division).

D.) Like him or not, Leben's style is exciting. For you to say he got slapped around by Akiyama until he gassed and da da da da da walking dead da da da da; is dumb. Leben out-cardio'd him, out grappled him, and had him stunned on the feet, and finished the fight of the night.

Let's put it this way; Leben finishes Akiyama ---------> Akiyama fights Bisping (ranked) ------------->Leben and Stann (not ranked) in the works.

^^^^^^^ Makes no sense.

Cut him some slack. He deserves a better fight.

Thoughts?

yeah i agree i think he should be fighting maia instead of grove

Leben has a 25-6 record, ko victories, sub victories, come from behind wins, FOTN honours, looks for the finish from the opening bell, has a nuke proof chin, on 3 fight win streak and has finished 2 fights in 2 weeks, one of which was a come behind sub victory which got FOTN honours. If your opponents resume reads like that, you'd better take him seriously.

While he may or may not be top of the division material, there is only one way to find out for sure, and I think he's earned it.

The Wandy fight better happen!!

And by the way, if Leben wins that, then it's Leben > Wandy > Bisping > Leben.

Don't you love MMath.

I think the UFC is holding back while the furore over Leben's DUI dies away - Leben has called out Wandy, and Wandy is up for that fight, which could well happen in the spring (assuming Leben beats Stann at 125) - I think we'd ALL like to see that in a match which could be a solid co-main on a pay per view.

More to the point, if Leben beats Wandy (and Stann), he'd be on a 5-0 streak for 2010-11 which would make him one of the top contenders for a shot at the middleweight title at that point in time.

If he keeps bringing the stoppage wins, the UFC would be only too happy to push a TUF alum like him to the moon, so long as he stops getting trouble with the law, because that is the kind of PR that the UFC and MMA in general can well do without.

leben has a 25-6 record' date=' ko victories, sub victories, come from behind wins, fotn honours, looks for the finish from the opening bell, has a nuke proof chin, on 3 fight win streak and has finished 2 fights in 2 weeks, one of which was a come behind sub victory which got fotn honours. If your opponents resume reads like that, you'd better take him seriously.

While he may or may not be top of the division material, there is only one way to find out for sure, and i think he's earned it.

The wandy fight better happen!!

And by the way, if leben wins that, then it's leben > wandy > bisping > leben.

Don't you love mmath.[/quote']

^^^ this!!!!!!

I think the UFC is holding back while the furore over Leben's DUI dies away - Leben has called out Wandy' date=' and Wandy is up for that fight, which could well happen in the spring (assuming Leben beats Stann at 125) - I think we'd ALL like to see that in a match which could be a solid co-main on a pay per view.

More to the point, if Leben beats Wandy (and Stann), he'd be on a 5-0 streak for 2010-11 which would make him one of the top contenders for a shot at the middleweight title at that point in time.

If he keeps bringing the stoppage wins, the UFC would be only too happy to push a TUF alum like him to the moon, so long as he stops getting trouble with the law, because that is the kind of PR that the UFC and MMA in general can well do without.[/quote']

Didnt they have this fight with Stann scheduled before any of the DUI stuff this time around?

Win or lose against Stann, I cant express how much I want to see Wandy vs. Leben.....thats just a sick match-up of 2 guys who go in there and are going for the kill from bell to bell no matter how badly they get beaten up.

The PPV's are usually just a bit to much for me to buy everyone of them, but I could care less who else is on the card, I would spend the $44.95 just to see Wandy vs. Leben

Archived