Lesnar vs Mir 3 - Dana says 'makes sense'

darkthrone99

Yup, we may yet see Lesnar fight the same guy for 3 out of the 8 fights he may have if this goes ahead, which looks more and more likely -

source - http://mmajunkie.com/news/21382/ufc-boss-says-brock-lesnar-vs-frank-mir-iii-kind-of-makes-sense.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Feed%29

Though Mir doesn't sound that interested at this point, I can see Dana leaning on him to do it and he will probably get a PPV share which may push him into doing it.

The UFC is getting plain boring and the last thing anyone wants to see are endless ****ing rematches where the same four guys fight each other over and over for years. It's becoming a farce just like boxing in so many ways now. They need to make Lesnar vs Carwin 2 but Dana won't let his poor farm boy get a raping again. I guess we'll also get to see silva vs marquardt and gsp vs fitch again in the next 7 or 8 months or so. Absolute b*ll****.

Anyone bothered about this proposed load of horsesh*t?

I personally think this fight is prematurely set up.

I like the idea of Mir vs Brock III but it should not have been set up yet.

Exactly its a good idea to have a 3rd match but as you say its being set up too soon.

I think Brock should fight Nelson and Mir should fight Schaub the matches which all of them want and they all make sense.

Rematches usually make more money than the original, assuming there is a significant issue or marketable angle to it - the series of matches between Tito-Shamrock, Tito-Liddell, Liddell-Couture, Rampage-Wanderlei and so on are some of the landmark matches in MMA.

There is nothing wrong with rematches, so long as there is a good reason, be it a controversial/disputed/close finish to a high profile match (Shogun-Machida) the fact that two guys are clearly at the top of their division (Liddell-Couture) or have a genuine, interest-generating, money-making beef (Lesnar-Mir, Ortiz-Shamrock.)

The only recent rematch I'm annoyed about is Frankie Edgar's rematch with BJ Penn - the decision in their first match wasn't close, there was little dispute about the decision and yet BJ got a rematch just because Frankie was such an underdog and BJ was such a legend. The decision to give BJ an immediate rematch was insulting to Edgar because it intimates (in my eyes) that his win in the first match was a fluke and that BJ would regain the title in the second match.

Furthermore, the decision held the division up for six months and we now have a legendary fighter on a current 0-2 streak, which helps no-one, least of all the guy who got the rematch he didn't deserve.

That said, to deal with the specific case of Lesnar-Mir 3...

Lesnar vs. Mir 3 is one of the most bankable matches the UFC can make at the moment, but that said, I don't think it should be either man's next match.

Mir is coming off an uninspiring win over Mirko Cro Cop, which actually makes him one of only four guys (champion Cain Velasquez, #1 contender Junior dos Santos and relative newb Brendan Schaub) currently in a winning way at the top of the heavyweight division.

In a big believer in fighters facing other fighters in the same sort of position as them i.e- two guys on a win facing off and two guys on a loss facing off and with that in mind, I think Mir's next logical match would be against Schaub, with the winner moving forward to a title shot eliminator later in the year.

Lesnar should be facing someone else who is coming off a loss, with a list of believable contenders being Shane Carwin, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Roy Nelson. Any of these guys would present a marketable challenge for the UFC's biggest drawing card, Carwin would present an interesting rematch, while Nog or Big Country would present credible and somewhat different challenges to what Lesnar has experienced in the past.

Given his celebrity and drawing power, Lesnar would likely be pushed into title contention with one notch back in the W column, so I reckon we could well see Lesnar vs. Mir 3 as a title eliminator later next year, assuming both guys win their next matches. Similarly, if both guys lose their next matches a match against each other would be the biggest money option for either of them and probably the best option for the UFC as well (for the same reason.)

Basically, I think Lesnar vs. Mir 3 is pretty much inevitable if both guys can be in a similar (losing/winning) place at the same time, but for just that reason, it shouldn't be either man's next match either.

god the UFC is getting boring' date=' if Bork wins, he'll get another title shot, thats all DW wants, i like DW and Joe Silva but this would be pathetic, lets see ultimate athlete with little skills (Brock) vs poor athlete with great skills (Nelson)[/quote']

Ye, I can see Brock getting an instant title fight if he beats Mir again as well. Completely loopy. The UFC HW div is getting shallow now that it's obvious there's only really two guys in dos santos and cain that have the combo of power, cardio and skills to be real MMA fighters. The SF HW div is much better.

Rematches usually make more money than the original' date=' assuming there is a significant issue or marketable angle to it - the series of matches between Tito-Shamrock, Tito-Liddell, Liddell-Couture, Rampage-Wanderlei and so on are some of the landmark matches in MMA.

There is nothing wrong with rematches, so long as there is a good reason, be it a controversial/disputed/close finish to a high profile match (Shogun-Machida) the fact that two guys are clearly at the top of their division (Liddell-Couture) or have a genuine, interest-generating, money-making beef (Lesnar-Mir, Ortiz-Shamrock.)

The only recent rematch I'm annoyed about is Frankie Edgar's rematch with BJ Penn - the decision in their first match wasn't close, there was little dispute about the decision and yet BJ got a rematch just because Frankie was such an underdog and BJ was such a legend. The decision to give BJ an immediate rematch was insulting to Edgar because it intimates (in my eyes) that his win in the first match was a fluke and that BJ would regain the title in the second match.

Furthermore, the decision held the division up for six months and we now have a legendary fighter on a current 0-2 streak, which helps no-one, least of all the guy who got the rematch he didn't deserve.

Lesnar vs. Mir 3 is one of the most bankable matches the UFC can make at the moment, but that said, I don't think it should be either man's next match.

Mir is coming off an uninspiring win over Mirko Cro Cop, which actually makes him one of only four guys (champion Cain Velasquez, #1 contender Junior dos Santos and relative newb Brendan Schaub) currently in a winning way at the top of the heavyweight division.

In a big believer in fighters facing other fighters in the same sort of position as them i.e- two guys on a win facing off and two guys on a loss facing off and with that in mind, I think Mir's next logical match would be against Schaub, with the winner moving forward to a title shot eliminator later in the year.

Lesnar should be facing someone else who is coming off a loss, with a list of believable contenders being Shane Carwin, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Roy Nelson. Any of these guys would present a marketable challenge for the UFC's biggest drawing card, Carwin would present an interesting rematch, while Nog or Big Country would present credible and somewhat different challenges to what Lesnar has experienced in the past.

Given his celebrity and drawing power, Lesnar would likely be pushed into title contention with one notch back in the W column, so I reckon we could well see Lesnar vs. Mir 3 as a title eliminator later next year, assuming both guys win their next matches. Similarly, if both guys lose their next matches a match against each other would be the biggest money option for either of them and probably the best option for the UFC as well (for the same reason.)

Basically, I think Lesnar vs. Mir 3 is pretty much inevitable if both guys can be in a similar (losing/winning) place at the same time, but for just that reason, it shouldn't be either man's next match either.[/quote']

You are a good poster. you made some very good points that i never considered. thanks.

Rematches usually make more money than the original' date=' assuming there is a significant issue or marketable angle to it - the series of matches between Tito-Shamrock, Tito-Liddell, Liddell-Couture, Rampage-Wanderlei and so on are some of the landmark matches in MMA.

Basically, I think Lesnar vs. Mir 3 is pretty much inevitable if both guys can be in a similar (losing/winning) place at the same time, but for just that reason, it shouldn't be either man's next match either.[/quote']

Well said :)

Yup' date=' we may yet see Lesnar fight the same guy for 3 out of the 8 fights he may have if this goes ahead, which looks more and more likely -

source - http://mmajunkie.com/news/21382/ufc-boss-says-brock-lesnar-vs-frank-mir-iii-kind-of-makes-sense.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Feed%29

Though Mir doesn't sound that interested at this point, I can see Dana leaning on him to do it and he will probably get a PPV share which may push him into doing it.

The UFC is getting plain boring and the last thing anyone wants to see are endless ****ing rematches where the same four guys fight each other over and over for years. It's becoming a farce just like boxing in so many ways now. They need to make Lesnar vs Carwin 2 but Dana won't let his poor farm boy get a raping again. I guess we'll also get to see silva vs marquardt and gsp vs fitch again in the next 7 or 8 months or so. Absolute b*ll****.

Anyone bothered about this proposed load of horsesh*t?[/quote']

It makes total sense. Mir is not going hurt Lesnar.

But I think Lesnar is done fighting.

UFC hw/ division = farce ...

I personally think this fight is prematurely set up.

I like the idea of Mir vs Brock III but it should not have been set up yet.

Dude the first fight Mir won by submission in the first round and it was a very entertaining fight, the second fight ended by KO in the second round, id like to see you take the shots mir was taking to the face and telling Brock to stop dry humping you. Both fights were good and the third fight will be just as good and it will be the last because the UFC doesnt usually(dont think they ever did) have the same people fight more then 3 times. And usually its because one person won once and the other person won the second time. Only exception would be Tito vs Chuck

If this is true' date=' it's only to help Brock get his confidence back after being beat up by Carwin and Velasquez.[/quote']

Short but sweet. Dana White wants Brock to build his hype back up. As someone said earlier it is the most logical market booster. Mir is very gun shy when it comes to striking with someone and does exchange when he has to. Other than that when the pace is on him like Brock Lesnar has shown. Mir crumbles and takes the fight to the ground. Then he just lazily looks for submissions while Brock Lesnar will just over power any of his technique. It's not even about putting up great matches. It's to build that image that Brock is still the baddest turtle on the planet. Now if Mir beats him Dana White can say Mir redeemed himself and still make everything look positive. The former HW champ. Also Mir is still a draw so he'll be considered a great contender for the belt. So Dana White is doing this as a win/win. It's beginning to look more like business every year,and that's it. He doesn't care what fighters are truly deserving to fight who. He just cares about raking in that money. I honestly won't pay to watch Mir get his *** handed to him again. If he can hit him on the turtle button I'm sure Brock is well aware of his flaws,and will shoot. This isn't an exciting match up what so ever. Welcome to the UFC.

Short but sweet. Dana White wants Brock to build his hype back up. As someone said earlier it is the most logical market booster. Mir is very gun shy when it comes to striking with someone and does exchange when he has to. Other than that when the pace is on him like Brock Lesnar has shown. Mir crumbles and takes the fight to the ground. Then he just lazily looks for submissions while Brock Lesnar will just over power any of his technique. It's not even about putting up great matches. It's to build that image that Brock is still the baddest turtle on the planet. Now if Mir beats him Dana White can say Mir redeemed himself and still make everything look positive. The former HW champ. Also Mir is still a draw so he'll be considered a great contender for the belt. So Dana White is doing this as a win/win. It's beginning to look more like business every year' date='and that's it. He doesn't care what fighters are truly deserving to fight who. He just cares about raking in that money. I honestly won't pay to watch Mir get his *** handed to him again. If he can hit him on the turtle button I'm sure Brock is well aware of his flaws,and will shoot. This isn't an exciting match up what so ever. Welcome to the UFC.[/quote']

The UFC needs to realise people are getting ****ing tired of HYPE. I don't wanna hear about a man who got hospitalised by Brandon Vera and a man the size of a gorilla who runs away when he gets hit fighting again. Especially since they're gonna hype the sh*t out of it no doubt. The casual fans will fork out their $55 and get drunk but real fight fans do not want this crap rammed down their ****ing throat. The HW div by mid 2011 is gonna be boring as f*ck unless dana signs up overeem, fedor or barnett.

Archived