Anybody Else Think Nate Won, That Dana Needs To Shut Up, and That it Was A Good Fight

tuf1_

Maybe it's just the typical influx of "That Card Sucked" threads (even though it was free) but overall I thought it was a decent event and would have been great with Rivera/Sakara.

Anybody who hasn't seen it, watch it before you read all the whining threads and posts about it. The only thing I didn't like was the decision. 30-27 Okami. Marquardt easily outstruck Okami in the first and second and Okami answered with two takedowns followed by zero ground and pound.

Dana is usually spot on with his assessments but he needs to quit targeting fighters and if he's going to how bout the 20 point fight fighters. Not going after camps like Jacksons.

1st round was pretty even. I gave it to Okami.

2nd round was Nate.

3rd round was Okami.

So 29-28.

I gave the first round to Marquardt. I just thought he did a little bit more, and the submission attempts secured it for me.

Third round, I thought Nate landed the better punches. Combined with the takedown, I thought it was enough to win that round, too. Barely.

As I said, I'm not surprised Okami got the nod, though.

2nd round was Nate.

3rd round was Okami.

So 29-28.

This is how I saw it too.

I was actually surprised the judges didn't give the 3rd round to Nate for getting 1 TD and controlling for about 10 seconds, usually that is enough to sway some judges.

All in all I thought it was a very technical battle between two very technical fighters, and was happy with the decision which was a surprise after the Ludwig fight which I had Oscipziak winning or a draw at best if you gave Ludwig a 10-8 for the third.

The inconsistancy of judging is getting ridiculous.

This is how I saw it too.

I was actually surprised the judges didn't give the 3rd round to Nate for getting 1 TD and controlling for about 10 seconds' date=' usually that is enough to sway some judges.

All in all I thought it was a very technical battle between two very technical fighters, and was happy with the decision which was a surprise after the Ludwig fight which I had Oscipziak winning or a draw at best if you gave Ludwig a 10-8 for the third.

The inconsistancy of judging is getting ridiculous.[/quote']

I thought Ludwig won the second and third.

I don't know what was wrong with Nate' date=' he seemed frustrated and like he just couldn't pull the trigger. [b']Seriously though, you can't win a fight back pedaling for 2 out of 3 rounds.[/b] Okami easily deserved the W.

Lol, I just have to say this: You can if you're Lyoto Machida!

Haha I love the guy but his style is 99% back pedal and then catch the opponent coming in.

I gave the first round to Marquardt. I just thought he did a little bit more' date=' and the submission attempts secured it for me.

Third round, I thought Nate landed the better punches. Combined with the takedown, I thought it was enough to win that round, too. Barely.

As I said, I'm not surprised Okami got the nod, though.[/quote']

Submission attemps shouldnt be scored.

They are like missed haymakers.

Lol' date=' I just have to say this: You can if you're Lyoto Machida!

Haha I love the guy but his style is 99% back pedal and then[b'] catch the opponent coming in[/b].

That is the important part. Nate never did that.

And about half of Chuck Liddell's KO wins came from strikes he threw while backing up.

to get it out of the way, marquardt CLEARLY won the second round

the first and third rounds i thought went exactly the opposite, with marquardt winning the striking in the first, but being taken down, but okami winning the striking in the third, but getting taken down.

i think marquardt won 29-28 taking the first and the second

the judges sucked, not because i disagree with them but because of the lack of consistency, how can one guy steal a round with a takedown even though he's losing the striking, but then you give it to the other guy for striking when he wasnt taken down?

lame... i liked the card a lot especially since it was free...

to get it out of the way' date=' marquardt CLEARLY won the second round

the first and third rounds i thought went exactly the opposite, with marquardt winning the striking in the first, but being taken down, but okami winning the striking in the third, but getting taken down.

i think marquardt won 29-28 taking the first and the second

the judges sucked, not because i disagree with them but because of the lack of consistency, how can one guy steal a round with a takedown even though he's losing the striking, but then you give it to the other guy for striking when he wasnt taken down?

lame... i liked the card a lot especially since it was free...[/quote']

They gave it to Okami based on his aggression and Octagon control.

Okami was constantly coming forward and had the centre of the cage. That's what did it for him.

They gave it to Okami based on his aggression and Octagon control.

Okami was constantly coming forward and had the centre of the cage. That's what did it for him.

for the third round i agree with you, but the first round should have been marquardts, between the stuffed take downs, the crisper striking, and a submission attempt which really was Okami's best "take down".

I don't know what was wrong with Nate' date=' he seemed frustrated and like he just couldn't pull the trigger. Seriously though, you can't win a fight back pedaling for 2 out of 3 rounds. Okami easily deserved the W.[/quote']

i think it's the backpeddling that cost him the fight more than anything else that can be debated- striking, takedowns, sub attempts, etc.

i think it's the backpeddling that cost him the fight more than anything else that can be debated- striking' date=' takedowns, sub attempts, etc.[/quote']

this is exactly right, and what lost the fight for nick was the 3rd ronud gas out, if he kept composed and threw a few more punches in 3rd it would have easily gone his way.

2nd round was Nate.

3rd round was Okami.

So 29-28.

Agreed. It was a close fight but i thought it was noticable Okami had the edge.

First round was debatable but id still give it to Okami. 2nd round once again close but Nate took it IMO. and 3rd was obvious Okami had Nate backing up into the cage the whole round Nate scored one takedown but Okami got back to his feet within seconds.

29-28 for my boy Okami :P props to Nate though hes a good fighter

I gave the first round to Marquardt. I just thought he did a little bit more' date=' and the submission attempts secured it for me.

As I said, I'm not surprised Okami got the nod, though.[/quote']

Submission attempts don't mean jack if they were not close, that heel hook wasnt near locked in,the 2nd guillotine attempt allowed Okami to gain top position. 1st guillotine ill give it to him, but still think Okami won that round.

round 2 nate

round 3 was okami just out striked nate

No I don't think Nate won. Yes I do think Dana should shut up. No I don't think it was a good fight. I was disappointed with both guys but more so with Nate. Both fought way too safe and Okami better step it up big time if he expects to have a chance in hell against Silva or Belfort.

Dana is really starting to get under my skin and the Fertittas need to put him on a shorter leash. He's making the company look bad and dividing his fan base by constantly criticizing fighters in the heat of the moment and saying things that are just plain out of line for the head of a company to say about his employees.

Submission attempts don't mean jack if they were not close' date=' that heel hook wasnt near locked in,the 2nd guillotine attempt allowed Okami to gain top position. 1st guillotine ill give it to him, but still think Okami won that round.

round 2 nate

round 3 was okami just out striked nate[/quote']

That's where you're wrong.

They DO count, as they force your opponent into defensive mode.

You can't even argue that fact.

I'd have a hard time even giving marquardt a round, let alone the whole fight. He was way too tentative the entire fight, looking for that one punch to finish the fight, meanwhile losing the fight on a round by round basis. reminded me of slowpage jackson. This is how the machida fight will go, too.

I'd have a hard time even giving marquardt a round' date=' let alone the whole fight. He was way too tentative the entire fight, looking for that one punch to finish the fight, meanwhile losing the fight on a round by round basis. reminded me of slowpage jackson. This is how the machida fight will go, too.[/quote']

Machida is a lot more aggressive than Okami is.

I agree with the OP.

I think Marquardt was robbed.

Maybe the two can have a rematch because it's a big layoff for Okami and I think if they fought again one of them would win decisively.

While I had it scored for Marquardt, no WAY was this a robbery of any sort.

It was an extremely close fight.

It was a close fight, to be sure. On the balance, however, I think the judges got it right. Okami forced the action. Nate got in his share of licks, but it was largely reactionary and fleeting in its success.

Okami looked like he wanted it more, and was the guy moving forward and engaging. In the end, I think he deserved the decision. Nate looked flat and uninspired. In a fight so close, the man who chases the victory more should win, and usually does.

As for the quality of the fight itself, it was kind of boring, but through no particular fault of the fighters. They were fighting each other, but it wasn't a particularly electric fight.

As for Dana shutting up, I'm not sure what you are referring to so I will withhold comment.

Archived