Worst "Title contention" match of recent memory

Rex_Kwon_Do

This thread is simply meant to echo what we've all come to realize since watching the Okami/Marquardt matchup which is that these #1 title contender matchups have way too much hype behind them and very little action to show for it. Fighters are obviously very cautious going into these fights knowing they may not get to the point where there at again if they blow it. It seems like they would rather live with their destiny being in the hands of the judges rather than controlling their own destiny. That being said we as MMA/UFC fans have had to suffer through three rounds of lackluster action as a result. We only get to see about a 1/4 of these guy's skill sets and there's more hugging, grabbing, and pawing than we care to look at. Now is the time to give your opinion of which fight of recent was worse. If you can think of others not so recent feel free to elaborate. Hands down I gotta go with Serra/Lytle (in their first matchup...this was edited becuz either people are unaware they fought twice or were so devastated by the lameness of this fight that selective memory loss has taken place). It was a joke how they got into that position to begin with (by beating a bunch of other cans on the TUF show). To date it has got to be one of the top five worse fights ever in the UFC with Silva and Leites being #1. If you can suffer through even two minutes of watching this fight nuff said.

The obvious solution as I'm sure others have mentioned is simply not to announce it. It takes less pressure off these fighters and loosens them up inside the cage where they at least hopefully don't have the mindset of fighting to not lose. It's not like they have a ranking system in the UFC so the matchups can tend to be somewhat unjustified anyway.

Rashad/Rampage for sure. I'm sick of #1 contender fights. Good for build up but leads to bad fights. Fighters play it too safe.

I started to throw that fight in there as an option, but when I thought about it it still had more action in it I thought than those mentioned. I do think it was one of the more disappointing of the most anticipated fights. I'm not sure if anyone was really excited or looking forward to any of those matchups I posted except Shields/Kampmann.

Dude. You left off Kos/Daley AND Rampage/Rashad.... poor form

Actually I didn't. i just didn't bother to mention them because i felt they we're still slightly exciting than the ones I mentioned in the poll....not to mention i did give the option of other because I KNEW people would mention those fights.I mean seriously, you can't even piece together a half a round of excitement and either of the fights I mentioned. There's about enough highlight reel action for a 30 second spot in a commercial ad between those four fights combined.

I'd say it's tied between Kos/Daley, Shields/Kampmann, and Florian/Maynard. I actually liked the Marquardt/Okami fight. Very technical, whereas the three borefests I mentioned was just controlcontrolcontrol and little to no damage on the ground/standup. I like mixed martial arts matches, not ones where you neutralize a person's offense because you have none to offer of your own.

lol why is Serra/Lytle up there that was a pretty good fight

You're kidding right ?!?!? I thought everyone on this forum was aware that they had fought twice and the second time was obviously not for a title shot. I would post a link to the first fight, but I don't want to give away my free stash. Let's just say you would waste 15 minutes of your life that u will never get back again anyway if i did post it...it was that bad. If Lytle had fought the first time around they way he had the second time we might have been talking about him as being a one hit wonder rather than Serra.

You're kidding right ?!?!? I thought everyone on this forum was aware that they had fought twice and the second time was obviously not for a title shot. I would post a link to the first fight' date=' but I don't want to give away my free stash. Let's just say you would waste 15 minutes of your life that u will never get back again anyway if i did post it...it was that bad. If Lytle had fought the first time around they way he had the second time we might have been talking about him as being a one hit wonder rather than Serra.[/quote']

Well, its kind of a stretch to list the first Serra vs Lytle fight in the TUF4 finale as recent memory.It was 4 years ago.

For me it was Kos vs Daley. THe Shields vs Kampmann fight was only bad because Shields got the decision. I thought Kampmann won it and while Shields was doing trying to do his blanket impression, Kampmann at least provided some excitement with a couple solid knees and submission attempts. Daley had nothing to stop Koscheck's LnP.

I voted Okami/Marquardt just because it was the only fight I was looking forward to on the card and it disappointed severely. And I agree with predetermining #1 contender fights, and I think Dana is getting the picture too, recently saying that Rampage/Machida MIGHT be a #1 contender fight when it obviously is, I think Dana thought that it might provoke fighters to lay it on the line instead of the opposite.

Guest [Deleted User]
You're kidding right ?!?!? I thought everyone on this forum was aware that they had fought twice and the second time was obviously not for a title shot. I would post a link to the first fight' date=' but I don't want to give away my free stash. Let's just say you would waste 15 minutes of your life that u will never get back again anyway if i did post it...it was that bad. If Lytle had fought the first time around they way he had the second time we might have been talking about him as being a one hit wonder rather than Serra.[/quote']

My point proved WHY IS IT LISTED HERE

My point proved WHY IS IT LISTED HERE

I must have missed something here...what did u prove??

Anyone who didn't vote Serrra/lytle needs to go watch that fight again...assuming you can stay awake through it.

It must be that people were thinking i was referring to the second fight and not the first. Must be a whole bunch of noobs voting.

Archived