Dana White fond of Alistair Overeem But Says Top-10 Ranking Not Justified

KRYME

UFC president Dana White likes Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem.

They often cross paths, and White respects him and calls him a "cool guy."

But the praise stops when White is asked if Overeem, who's won eight straight MMA fights, is a top-10 heavyweight. He isn't, said White, and that could explain why he's in no hurry to sign him.

Rankings are subjective. No consistent criteria is applied across the various media outlets' offerings. And aside from sparking heated debates among fans, they serve little purpose in the sport.

Still, it chaps White's *** to see Overeem ranked so high.

"Listen, I like Alistair Overeem," he told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) following UFC 122. "I see him all the time. Cool guy. But there's no urgency on my part to get him into the UFC.

"I actually find it hilarious that he's ranked in the top 10 by some of the websites. I find it hilarious. What has he done in MMA to be ranked in the top 10? I'd like somebody here to answer that question. We've got a lot of media guys here; what has Alistair Overeem done to be ranked in the top 10 of mixed martial arts' heavyweight division?"

Overeem (33-11 MMA, 2-0 SF), an 11-year MMA vet, is a former PRIDE fighter who's fought countless MMA legends. But early in his career, fights with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Chuck Liddell, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Ricardo Almeida and Fabricio Werdum all ended in losses. But he also owns a pair of wins over upcoming UFC middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort, he won the Strikeforce belt from notable Paul Buentello, and he most recently made a successful title defense with a first-round TKO of Brett Rogers.

Still, White doesn't understand the high ranking. As he sees it, too much emphasis is placed on Overeem's K-1 kickboxing bouts, which have accounted for four wins in his five fights.

"How do you figure because he's such a good K-1 fighter (that) he can parlay that into being a mixed-martial-arts fighter?" an exasperated White asked. "That's what makes the mixed-martial-arts media [expletive] stupid ? that they would even rank this guy in the top 10 because he's fighting in K-1. That makes absolutely no [expletive] sense, and I would love to hear somebody make sense of this guy being ranked in the top 10.

"Has he fought anybody worth mentioning? Uh, yeah that would help. Guys that fight the top guys in the top 10, three times a year in mixed martial arts ? those are the guys that are ranked in the top 10. How bout the fact that he's fighting in K-1, where you just kick and punch? There's no wrestling, there's no this, and there's no that. How does any credible [expletive] MMA guy put him in the top 10 in the heavyweight division? It's hilarious."

In most polls, Overeem is ranked between the No. 5 and No. 10 spots. HDNet's "Inside MMA" host Bas Rutten even recently declared Overeem the No. 1 heavyweight fighter (though he admitted a small bias for his fellow Dutchman).

But White isn't buying it, and he sees parallels with former PRIDE champ and current Strikeforce heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko, who long has ranked among the division's best.

"You know what this is? Another Fedor thing," he said. "UFC doesn't have him, so we're going to rank him in the top 10 even though the guy is only fighting in [expletive] K-1.

"[Expletive] great guy. I like Overeem. I have nothing but respect for him. But it's an absolute [expletive] joke that anybody would rank him in the top 10. And anybody that wants to debate with me, and tell me why Alistair should be ranked, [expletive] fire away. I'm ready. I want to hear it. Can't wait. If on your rankings you have him in the top 10, you should be [expletive] embarrassed."

(You can find him at http://www.twitter.com/DanaWhite if you're so inclined.)

White is even more perplexed because Overeem fights so infrequently in MMA. He'll fight just once in MMA in 2010, and currently, there's no exact timetable for his return in 2011.

"And you guys wonder why I have no [expletive] hair," White said.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21412/dana-white-fond-of-alistair-overeem-but-says-top-10-ranking-not-justified.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+mmajunkie+(MMAjunkie.com+Feed)

I somewhat agree with Dana. I think Bigfoot or Barnett have a better claim to top 10 status than Overeem does,

That said, if (when Coker finally gets his head out of his *** and starts making fights) Overeem focuses on MMA for a 3-4 fight stretch and can rack up wins over the big 3 in Strike Force, Werdum,Barnett and Fedor I would say he is the #1 HW in the world no matter what happens in the UFC HW division. Wins over those 3 are better than wins over any 3 fighters currently in the UFC HW division.

He should absolutely be top 10' date=' what is Dana smoking?

But I do see what he is saying with K1 not translating to MMA.

I dunno!

Vote Quimby!

[img']http://thedailydose.com/lll/externals/vote_quimby.jpg[/img]

Well then answer the question and elaborate... WHY?

Beating Buentello (no disrespect to the Headhunter) and Bret the Tire Guy Rogers over a 3 year span makes him top 10? It just doesn't compute.

Beating Buentello (no disrespect to the Headhunter) and Bret the Tire Guy Rogers over a 3 year span makes him top 10? It just doesn't compute.

I don't just look at names, I look at performance.

It's all opinions anyway.

Agreed with Dana

You people reckon he would dominate the UFC HW division or even bear Fedor.

Its laughable.

Overeems last 10 fights

(W) Brett Rogers

(W) Kazuyuki Fujita

(Win) James Thompson

(Win) Tony Sylvester

(W)Gary Goodridge

(NC) Mirko Filipovic

(W)Mark Hunt

(W)Lee Tae-Hyun

(W)Paul Buentello

(L)Sergei Kharitonov

Yep an impressive streak 8 wins 1 loss and 1 NC.

But records can be misleading, the competition he has fought is a bunch of cans.

And you srcubs rate Overeem in the top10. Its crazy.

Still' date=' with only 2 fights in 3 years it is difficult to gauge his "performances" against anyone else.[/quote']

Well of course. I mean we know his striking is above most in MMA, and look at his last fight. I'm not saying Rogers is a top guy, but Reem made him look like he doesn't belong. I think it's debatable to have Overeem bottom 10.

Again, it's all opinions. I agree though, he needs 3-4 more fights.

He is 8-0-1 in his last 9 fights

All but one finished in the first Round

He is the current Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion. (Though he did only defend it once)

Agreed with Dana

Its laughable.

Overeems last 10 fights

(W) Brett Rogers

(W) Kazuyuki Fujita

(Win) James Thompson

(Win) Tony Sylvester

(W)Gary Goodridge

(NC) Mirko Filipovic

(W)Mark Hunt

(W)Lee Tae-Hyun

(W)Paul Buentello

(L)Sergei Kharitonov

But records can be misleading' date=' the competition he has fought is a bunch of cans.

And you srcubs rate Overeem in the top10. Its crazy.[/quote']

Don't you have a Brock thread to cry about?

Get lost kid.

Agreed with Dana

Its laughable.

Overeems last 10 fights

(W) Brett Rogers

(W) Kazuyuki Fujita

(Win) James Thompson

(Win) Tony Sylvester

(W)Gary Goodridge

(NC) Mirko Filipovic

(W)Mark Hunt

(W)Lee Tae-Hyun

(W)Paul Buentello

(L)Sergei Kharitonov

But records can be misleading' date=' the competition he has fought is a bunch of cans.

And you srcubs rate Overeem in the top10. Its crazy.[/quote']

who has cain beat?

brad who? jake o'huh? denis sto-something, ben rothwell, congo (hey! I used to like that guy!).........ALL ****ing scrubs.

then he beat senior citizen minotauro and WWE flapjack lesnar.

beating big nog 1nce when he is 70 years old is NOT equivalent to beating big nog 2wice when he was a dominant force (fedor)

dana is doing what he does.

he is convincing casual fans that his orgonization is a division above all other orgonizations...... and he is doing very well............. if dana was REALLY confident with his fighters he would be open to intra orgonization fights..... he would allow fedor to fight lesnar and make it a 50/50 split with m-1 and UFC..... 1 fight only.

why not?

because his boys would lose..... and THEN how the **** is he going to stand at the podium with his **** eating grin and condescending chuckle and say "look, lol..... I mean, the UFC....everyone knows the UFC is where all the best fighters are"

really dana?

BROCK was HW champ.

dana is smart, he wont play a game he might lose....... and as long as he doesnt allow his fighters to fight in other orgonizations then he will never be proven wrong.

All you do is sit around and whine about people bashing fighters then you go and do it.

Acting like you're some kind of expert. You're a joke.

LOL

Check my threads/Posts i hardly do it.

Yet all you do is follow me around on here bringing up Lesnar.

Get lost scrub.

dana is doing what he does.

he is convincing casual fans that his orgonization is a division above all other orgonizations...... and he is doing very well............. if dana was REALLY confident with his fighters he would be open to intra orgonization fights..... he would allow fedor to fight lesnar and make it a 50/50 split with m-1 and UFC..... 1 fight only.

It's not as cut and dried from a business perspective on who would win a fight such as that. As a business, especially a promotional business, you don;t do anything to give the competition credibility. I don't think Dana has anything against the fighters, but given the UFC's current undisputed #1 market share you don;t share that with anyone. There is no upside to it even if your fighter wins.

If Coker and SF want to make it as a promotion you can bet money their contracts with fighters will be tightening up,

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/mma/post/2010/11/werdum-seeks-next-bout-overseas-before-fedor-rematch/1

You think that story makes Coker warm and fuzzy and happy he doesn't have tighter contracts?

danas top 10 HW.

1) cain (current champ)

2) brock (last champ)

.3) ****ing randy couture. (because he is UFC hall of fame)

..4) JDS (going down the list of fighters he will have fight for the title)

.5) mir

6) big nog

.7) shane carwin

.8) what the hell, why not brendan schaub?

9) stephan struve

10) chris touchedtheburger? who the ****s gonna stop me? Im dana ****ing white!

danas top 10 HW.

1) cain (current champ)

2) brock (last champ)

.3) ****ing randy couture. (because he is UFC hall of fame)

..4) JDS (going down the list of fighters he will have fight for the title)

.5) mir

6) big nog

.7) shane carwin

.8) what the hell' date=' why not brendan schaub?

9) stephan struve

10) chris touchedtheburger? who the ****s gonna stop me? Im dana ****ing white![/quote']

Half of that is laughable

Pretty tough to call Overeem over rated when you were just saying Bork was the world number one.

If that isn;t over rated what is?

Exactly. He was just calling Bork the best in the world a month ago, now he's saying this? Dana had Bork in the top 10 when he was 3-1.

And people listen to this bs.

Exactly. He was just calling Bork the best in the world a month ago' date=' now he's saying this? Dana had Bork in the top 10 when he was 3-1.

And people listen to this bs.[/quote']

That because Brock was the Champ. You cant have the champ being ranked No5, 6, 7 or whatever for your Org.

He the champ so he is No1.

And its all business, of course Dana will say that Brock is the Best heavyweight in the world. Its his Champ. Just like he will say that Cain is now the best in the world. Ignore every other promotion, Mine is No1.

Thats business.

That because Brock was the Champ. You cant have the champ being ranked No5' date=' 6, 7 or whatever for your Org.

He the champ so he is No1.

And its all business, of course Dana will say that Brock is the Best heavyweight in the world. Its his Champ. Just like he will say that Cain is now the best in the world. Ignore every other promotion, Mine is No1.

Thats business.[/quote']

Overeem is Champ too, so he deserves a top 10 mention.

It's not as cut and dried from a business perspective on who would win a fight such as that. As a business' date=' especially a promotional business, you don;t do anything to give the competition credibility. I don't think Dana has anything against the fighters, but given the UFC's current undisputed #1 market share you don;t share that with anyone. There is no upside to it even if your fighter wins.

If Coker and SF want to make it as a promotion you can bet money their contracts with fighters will be tightening up,

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/mma/post/2010/11/werdum-seeks-next-bout-overseas-before-fedor-rematch/1

You think that story makes Coker warm and fuzzy and happy he doesn't have tighter contracts?[/quote']

my point was that dana is lying because it is good for his business.

I dont fault him for it..... he is a dirt bag promoter.......... I am not claiming any other fight promoter or ogonization has taken the moral high ground.

just that anyone who takes danas "opinion" (his PUBLIC opinion) as valid and unbiased is fooling themselves and falling for the hype.

when dana says "ASilva is the p4p greatest" I agree..... for now.

but when dana says "other orgonizations dont have fighters deserving of top 10 ranking"

or "fighter X is a monster, absolute domination blahblahblah......" 2 fights later "look, he couldent cut it..... I mean he is fighting the best of the best here"

(fighter is cut and his reputation is invalid because another guy signs his paychecks now)

dana hype is nothing more than hype.

I agree, dana could ONLY lose by having his fighters fight another orgonizations fighters (whether his fighter wins or not)

the point is that he is 100% hype.

and ofcourse his top 10 list will only be UFC fighters.

Oh and as far as Overeems rankings go...a lot of it has to do with his skill.

Hes freakishly strong, but that doesnt effect his speed and agility(PEDs or not, its there)

His striking is easily top 5 in anyones MMA HW rankings

He has shown improved BJJ

And has just outclassed his opponents. I think the fact his opponents are highest calibre shows when you see him ranked 5-10. If he had 2 or even 1 solid top 10 win, hes top 5.

Velasquez beats a #6-8 nog and springs to #4

Carwin beats a #3-4 Mir and springs to #2

Lesnar beat Herring and warrents a title shot

I think JDS is the exception of a guy just thrown to the wolves. everyone else is groomed, only difference in UFC, are the cream of the crop guys who were groomed finally fought each other, and sprang up spots in the rankings defying any logic.

UFC fighters have taken over top 5 HW rankings from fighting each other. somehow there were all 5-15, they fight each other, and other guys like Kongo and Gonzaga(gatekeepers) and they move to the top tier. Its all flawed. and HW is the most divided by organizations.

There should be a UFC ranking, and a World ranking completely seperate.

Overeem has looked just as good as any of the UFCs top 5, but Overeem just needs that 1 win to go from #7 to #2-3

my point was that dana is lying because it is good for his business.

I dont fault him for it..... he is a dirt bag promoter.......... I am not claiming any other fight promoter or ogonization has taken the moral high ground.

just that anyone who takes danas "opinion" (his PUBLIC opinion) as valid and unbiased is fooling themselves and falling for the hype.

when dana says "ASilva is the p4p greatest" I agree..... for now.

but when dana says "other orgonizations dont have fighters deserving of top 10 ranking"

or "fighter X is a monster' date=' absolute domination blahblahblah......" 2 fights later "look, he couldent cut it..... I mean he is fighting the best of the best here"

(fighter is cut and his reputation is invalid because another guy signs his paychecks now)

dana hype is nothing more than hype.

I agree, dana could ONLY lose by having his fighters fight another orgonizations fighters (whether his fighter wins or not)

the point is that he is 100% hype.

and ofcourse his top 10 list will only be UFC fighters.[/quote']

+1

Oh and as far as Overeems rankings go...a lot of it has to do with his skill.

Hes freakishly strong' date=' but that doesnt effect his speed and agility(PEDs or not, its there)

His striking is easily top 5 in anyones MMA HW rankings

He has shown improved BJJ

And has just outclassed his opponents. I think the fact his opponents are highest calibre shows when you see him ranked 5-10. If he had 2 or even 1 solid top 10 win, hes top 5.

Velasquez beats a #6-8 nog and springs to #4

Carwin beats a #3-4 Mir and springs to #2

Lesnar beat Herring and warrents a title shot

[b']I think JDS is the exception of a guy just thrown to the wolves. everyone else is groomed, only difference in UFC, are the cream of the crop guys who were groomed finally fought each other, and sprang up spots in the rankings defying any logic.[/b]

UFC fighters have taken over top 5 HW rankings from fighting each other. somehow there were all 5-15, they fight each other, and other guys like Kongo and Gonzaga(gatekeepers) and they move to the top tier. Its all flawed. and HW is the most divided by organizations.

There should be a UFC ranking, and a World ranking completely seperate.

Overeem has looked just as good as any of the UFCs top 5, but Overeem just needs that 1 win to go from #7 to #2-3

Absolutely agree. JDS deserves his shot.

Dana has Chris T. and Stefan Struve ahead of Overeem. Thats why I find his oppinion not to have Overeem top 10 laughable.

lol....

wait a minute..........

I certainly hope you arent using MY post as a citation for this claim.

because truth be told............ I dont even think dana is retarded enough to put chris touchedmyburger on ANY list.

lol....

wait a minute..........

I certainly hope you arent using MY post as a citation for this claim.

because truth be told............ I dont even think dana is retarded enough to put chris touchedmyburger on ANY list.

wouldn't put it past him

wouldn't put it past him

in all honesty, after 1 KO victory I could see dana puting ben rothwell at #10

dana: "look, this guy is no joke...... I mean he was the _____HW champ, he had a rough start, but this is the UFC, this is as real as it gets, and I mean he has fought some TOUGH competition, I mean cain is the champ right now, and after DOMINATING chris tuscherburger, I really think this guy is 1 more win away from a title shot"

rogan: "we are seeing a WHOLE new ben rothwell, this guy is VIOLENT... I mean, if you look at this guys record, he entered the UFC as a HW champ in another orgonization, and he has fought the best ever since he got here, I mean he fought cain, the current champ, and he REALLY made cain work for that win"

both these guys can **** off. (if you count rothwell I would have to say all 3 of these guys can **** off.)

Top 5 IMO

1) Cain

2) JDS

3) Werdum

4) Fedor

5) Brock Lesnar

The rest is anyones.

btw - to the Brock haters, you cant go from No1 (all the rankings had him as No1 before the Cain fight) to out of the top5, even with that devestating loss. If he losses again, yeah by all means hes out.

Top 5 IMO

1) Cain

2) JDS

3) Werdum

4) Fedor

5) Brock Lesnar

The rest is anyones.

btw - to the Brock haters' date=' you cant go from No1 [b'](all the rankings had him as No1 before the Cain fight) to out of the top5, even with that devestating loss. [/b]If he losses again, yeah by all means hes out.

fedor was #1 or 2 on everyones list untill the werdum loss when he dropped to bottom ..... dropped completely off some top 10 lists.

are brocks achievements greater then fedors that he deserves a top 5 spot?

fedor was #1 or 2 on everyones list untill the werdum loss when he dropped to bottom ..... dropped completely off some top 10 lists.

are brocks achievements greater then fedors that he deserves a top 5 spot?

I don't think being 6-2 puts you at the top of the list, whether you had the belt or not. Not that records are the most important aspect of what qualifies someone.

Overeem is easily in the top ten. How can one especially an MMA fan doubt that?

Keep in mind, after each failed attempts to sign Fedor, Dana always had something bad to say about Fedor.

Mark my word>>>if and when Overeem is signed to the ufc, Dana will have nothing but good things to say about Reem. But if Reem should lose two straight, you know the story. You know what comes next>>> the bad mouthing and then the cut.

Archived