Nate Marquardt

JP24

...Seems to me he really choked against Okami, I don't know about what some of you think...

He didn't look very confident in round three, he just stood there and got pounded on, basically.. He was close to a title shot with Chael Sonnen, and he dropped that fight, now he was close again, and he dropped a fight to Okami.

I don't think this guy will ever get a title shot now. He chokes in important fights.

...Seems to me he really choked against Okami' date=' I don't know about what some of you think...

He didn't look very confident in round three, he just stood there and got pounded on, basically.. He was close to a title shot with Chael Sonnen, and he dropped that fight, now he was close again, and he dropped a fight to Okami.

I don't think this guy will ever get a title shot now. He chokes in important fights.[/quote']

I totally agree. He had this look of concern/fear on his face the whole fight. Why the hell he didn't throw leg kicks, i dont know. With a title fight on the line, you'd think these guys would have went off on each other and really gone for it. I'm still a fan, but our boy will never get UFC gold now. I am sure of it. He's like your favorite sports franchise that will look great all season, than blow it before they get to the big game.

you cant say he choked. he got out skilled. nothing nate could of done that would have worked against okami. okami had better cardio and was pushing the action from the start. nates hands was dropping by the second round. okami went out and did his thing. neutrolized nate at ALL of his strong points. okami flat out won that fight. okami left the octagon with leaving no doubt that he is the right person for the title.

Nate used a lot of energy in the first round trying to sink those guillotine chokes, after the 2nd attempt he got reversed. IMO he didn't know what tactic was best to attack Okami with. He was afraid to get reversed again if he took it to the ground yet again. As for standup, I had the idea Marquardt was unable to find his range to strike, this because Okami was constantly jabbing the **** out of Nate if he got close enough to strike.

Overal Okami's gameplan was much better then Marquardt's, nuff said.

...Seems to me he really choked against Okami' date=' I don't know about what some of you think...

I don't think this guy will ever get a title shot now. He chokes in important fights.[/quote']

This is the Company Line.

I missed the entire first round.

I gave the second round to Marquardt and the third to Okami.

Neither guy really seemed to be going for it, seemed like Okami wanted to hold Marquardt against the cage the whole time and be content with not losing, it was one of those fights that you spend the whole time waiting for something to happen and before you know it the fight is over.

I think in Nate's sub-conscious he doesn't want to fight Anderson Silva again, so he chokes in #1 contender fights.

im still waiting for a MW to really impress me enough to give the impression that they have the tools to defeat silva. i admit i thought sonnen had it in the bag, but okami's wrestling really isnt on the same level. his base isnt as good and hes no where near as stong as sonnen. if anderson spends any time on his back i dont think he will be controlled nearly as much as he was in his last fight.

silva via tko in the second

He pulled a Florian!!!!

I like both of them in non important fights

I just thought nate had a bad strategy and he underestimated okami's striking. He was looking to land a big right hand the entire fight but okami just kept catching him with the stiff jab. Overall i think okami won because he controlled the pace, but i think nate did more damage and was responsible for most of the significant moments (guillotine attempt, big right hand, big take down etc.)

Florian was given a piss poor plan against Bj. Plus, he was using a number system that delagrotti was calling out during the fight. 1,2,3,4. Not very complex and Bj caught on to it and destroyed Florian for it.

Nate came in with one plan- Counter Okami's straight. Okami was throwing that straight with success and by round 2- Nate was too beaten down to really activate anymore counter plans.

Does anyone remember when Nate was doing van damme moves- high kicks to spin punches to live kicks in quick succession. That is Nate. What you saw in the Okami fight,was Jackson in the ring.

I don't think he choked. I think he just had a bad gameplan. He didn't want to risk much' date=' and never committed to any flurries. Nate has finished his last 4/5 opponents, I hope to see him make a comeback, which is still possible. Two more decisive victories and he's right back in the mix.[/quote']

An interview with Nate less than a year ago; Nate had said he doest want to fight Bj, that he isnt ready for that level of competition. I wonder if he changed his mind now.

Yeah Nate got mentally bullied. Okami took his best punch and didnt even stop moving forward. I think Nate was very surprised at Okami's skill set. Okami just throws some great jabs and never lets you rest. His size and length really messed with Nate's strategy.

Okami is a bad match up for most MWs. He is so big and long. he uses his boxing to keep people off balanced and his wrestling to smother and control fights.

But what it came to was he broke Nate. Nate had no clue what to do in teh 3rd round.

After getting beat down by Sonnen and realizing that Okami trained with Sonnen after what Sonnen did to him..He got scared of the takedowns and Okami got the W.

That's how I saw it as well. The entire fight you could see Nate was reluctant to let go or push forward fearing the take down. His entire focus seemed to be to stuff Okami's take downs and not get put on his back, which for the most part he did. But, in doing so he forgot you can't win a fight only playing defense.

Florian was given a piss poor plan against Bj. Plus' date=' he was using a number system that delagrotti was calling out during the fight. 1,2,3,4. Not very complex and Bj caught on to it and destroyed Florian for it.

Nate came in with one plan- Counter Okami's straight. Okami was throwing that straight with success and by round 2- Nate was too beaten down to really activate anymore counter plans.

Does anyone remember when Nate was doing van damme moves- high kicks to spin punches to live kicks in quick succession. That [b']is Nate. What you saw in the Okami fight,was Jackson in the ring[/b].

How can you say that. His corner was yelling at him the whole fight to trhow kicks. Nate was scared. he didnt believe in his skill set after round 1.

I believe that statement that fighters use "you dont know what you are going to do until you actual put your hands on your opponenent"

I think Nate put his hands on Okami and was like "F***, this guy is a lot stronger and longer than I thought"

How can you say that. His corner was yelling at him the whole fight to trhow kicks. Nate was scared. he didnt believe in his skill set after round 1.

I believe that statement that fighters use "you dont know what you are going to do until you actual put your hands on your opponenent"

I think Nate put his hands on Okami and was like "F***' date=' this guy is a lot stronger and longer than I thought"[/quote']

Yeh round 2 he was told to believe in his feet but wasnt that foot movement?

I think it was a combination of Nate choking and Nate being far too tentative. His corner wanted him to get off but he just hesitated the entire fight. He was definately afraid of the takedown/grappling game of Okami. That said, it seems every time Nate has a big fight he puts in one of his worst performances.

The crap thing is this is two fights now that really show a weakness in Nate's game: If he's being pushed or on his back he's utterly useless. Get his back on the cage or mat and you can basically count Nate out from that moment on.

I am SHOCKED that a Japanese fighter actually came in with a good gameplan. This almost never happens. Still, the fight really made both guys look like meatbags for Silva.

marquart blew it and quit on himself. okami did good and won the fight but if you watch the third round especially nate seemed to be just waiting by the cage to get knocked out and okami would throw like a 1-2 combo or a quick jab and then back up a little and repeat. okami could have easily KTFO if he would have just attacked 100 percent. end of fight right there. i know okami likes to be patient but dam nate was just standing there waiting to get dropped lol. idk how nate could have been tired he didnt do anything all fight lol

you cant say he choked. he got out skilled. nothing nate could of done that would have worked against okami. okami had better cardio and was pushing the action from the start. nates hands was dropping by the second round. okami went out and did his thing. neutrolized nate at ALL of his strong points. okami flat out won that fight. okami left the octagon with leaving no doubt that he is the right person for the title.

Compare it to other wins' date=' where he KTFO'd guys like Martin Kampmann and Wilson Gouveia, even Demian Maia, but he can't seem to hold his ground against Okami just because it was a contender fight.

I bet 90% of you in the forum missed the fact that [b']Mark Munoz rocked the heck out of Okami[/b] in their fight... Okami won, but Munoz nearly KO'ed him at one point... Marquardt did crappy. I'd say he DID choke.

After getting beat down by Sonnen and realizing that Okami trained with Sonnen after what Sonnen did to him..He got scared of the takedowns and Okami got the W.

Marquadt vs Leben or Wandy would be good..

I think Marquardt vs. Akiyama would be fitting... They both choked... Nate choked because it was a number one contender fight' date=' and Akiyama choked because he isn't used to losing and didn't wanna lose two in a row.

Battle of the chokers... You seriously MUST admit that Akiyama looked amazing against Belcher, and Marquardt looked like a killer against Gouveia and Kampmann. Recently, they have both been choking.

NAte choked/Florian choked.

That is just Dana White's official line.

It has nothing to do with reality.

Yes it does, because they do not perform like they usually do under pressure.

Archived