BJ Penn

MMA_Limburg

I saw the 122 event last night, with BJ giving an interview about his upcoming bout with Hughes. I got the idea BJ looked out of shape, he looked overweight and his voice sounded like he was ill or something. I find this very disturbing since his upcoming fight is less then a week from now...

Did anyone have the same conclusion, and if not, please discuss.

I saw the 122 event last night' date=' with BJ giving an interview about his upcoming bout with Hughes. I got the idea BJ looked out of shape, he looked overweight and his voice sounded like he was ill or something. I find this very disturbing since his upcoming fight is less then a week from now...

Did anyone have the same conclusion, and if not, please discuss.[/quote']

there is the same exact thread about this.. search for it you lazy bum. :)

BJ looked out of shape.. when was the last time you remember him IN shape? haha.

there is the same exact thread about this.. search for it you lazy bum. :)

BJ looked out of shape.. when was the last time you remember him IN shape? haha.

For some reason the search option doesn?t work for me, but thanks for mentioning :o

You?re right about him not being in shape most of the time, I was just referring to that interview, where he looked even more out of shape then in the 2 Edgar fights imo. I read that a lot of the guys on here are confident that he?ll pull true against Matt, but frankly i don?t see that happening. Hughes really impressed me with that win over Almeida, he?s def improving his style in all area?s

Bj is more skilled than Hughes in the standup and on the ground. Both fights they have had clearly showed that. Bj lost because he gassess easy. With that said, BJ has had 74 minutes of fight time his last 3 fights. That alone should give you an idea of how badly he is going to beat Hughes.

Bj is more skilled than Hughes in the standup and on the ground. Both fights they have had clearly showed that. Bj lost because he gassess easy. With that said' date=' [u']BJ has had 74 minutes of fight time his last 3 fights[/u]. That alone should give you an idea of how badly he is going to beat Hughes.

I have to agree with you that this time BJ won?t fight a 5 rounder, something he hasn?t done in a long time. If he uses his energy wisely in those 3 rounds, we may see a much more explosive and agressive BJ Penn then we?ve seen in the recent past.

I saw the 122 event last night' date=' with BJ giving an interview about his upcoming bout with Hughes. I got the idea BJ looked out of shape, he looked overweight and his voice sounded like he was ill or something. I find this very disturbing since his upcoming fight is less then a week from now...

Did anyone have the same conclusion, and if not, please discuss.[/quote']

BJ will not have the power to take this fight. He'll be a fatter version of himself in the Edger fights. Hughes TKO in 3.

BJ is done. he has the wrong attitude. he blew up too quick and got hyped way too much early in his career. yeah it was justified but it went to his head and now he thinks he can just walk through anyone, and being beaten twice in a row by the same guy, once decisevely, doesnt seem to have humbled him any. unless he gets his enormous titoesque head out of the bloody clouds he will never climb back to the top. unless edgar drops to featherweight, (crosses fingers for Faber vs. Edgar)

The difference between BJ goin 5 rounds with Edgar, and going 3 rounds with Hughes, is a tremendous difference. For one thing, you use energy differently when you stand up and throw punches than you do if you're grappling, defending takedowns, and rolling around. When you stand up and strike, you are'nt struggling against someone's physical weight and strength. BJ can stand up and throw all day, but he does'nt have the conditioning to physically fight someone, and that's how Matt is. Even though BJ can defend Matt's takedown, for a while, defending still uses up a lot of energy. So if he stuffs takedowns for a round, it is still smart for Matt to keep pursuing them as to empty the tank of BJ, see fight 2. I see this going like Penn-Hughes 2 and maybe ending in the second round. I believe we have seen the best BJ there is ever going to be. I don't think he'll suddenly discover some miracle way of better conditioning. He would have by now, he's been a pro for a decade. Hughes is just better built for conditioning. The only thing Hughes should have to worry about is not getting himself choked in the 1st round.

The difference between BJ goin 5 rounds with Edgar' date=' and going 3 rounds with Hughes, is a tremendous difference. For one thing, you use energy differently when you stand up and throw punches than you do if you're grappling, defending takedowns, and rolling around. When you stand up and strike, you are'nt struggling against someone's physical weight and strength. BJ can stand up and throw all day, but he does'nt have the conditioning to physically fight someone, and that's how Matt is. Even though BJ can defend Matt's takedown, for a while, defending still uses up a lot of energy. So if he stuffs takedowns for a round, it is still smart for Matt to keep pursuing them as to empty the tank of BJ, see fight 2. I see this going like Penn-Hughes 2 and maybe ending in the second round. I believe we have seen the best BJ there is ever going to be. I don't think he'll suddenly discover some miracle way of better conditioning. He would have by now, he's been a pro for a decade. Hughes is just better built for conditioning. The only thing Hughes should have to worry about is not getting himself choked in the 1st round.[/quote']

Good points there. I would love to see the fight go down this way.

The difference between BJ goin 5 rounds with Edgar' date=' and going 3 rounds with Hughes, is a tremendous difference. For one thing, you use energy differently when you stand up and throw punches than you do if you're grappling, defending takedowns, and rolling around. When you stand up and strike, you are'nt struggling against someone's physical weight and strength. BJ can stand up and throw all day, but he does'nt have the conditioning to physically fight someone, and that's how Matt is. Even though BJ can defend Matt's takedown, for a while, defending still uses up a lot of energy. So if he stuffs takedowns for a round, it is still smart for Matt to keep pursuing them as to empty the tank of BJ, see fight 2. I see this going like Penn-Hughes 2 and maybe ending in the second round. I believe we have seen the best BJ there is ever going to be. I don't think he'll suddenly discover some miracle way of better conditioning. He would have by now, he's been a pro for a decade. Hughes is just better built for conditioning. The only thing Hughes should have to worry about is not getting himself choked in the 1st round.[/quote']

Or knocked out. Pretty much the 2 things Bj does really well. Most of the guys he has submitted were already on tko road.

Matt's shoot is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Neither is BJ's take down defense.

Really? Because i didnt see Sherk,Stevenson, or Diego (who he fought less than a year ago) perform any amazing takedowns. Frankie takes Bj down what 2 times in 50 minutes and you come out and say something like Bj's takedown defense isnt as good as it used to be?

hehe thats kinda like last fight shockwave talk.

Archived