Dana White and his Title SHot Promises

dimension33

...just quit doing it Dana....no one would think lesser of him if he just said he wouldnt make those kinds of promises or innuendos until after the match...Could you imagine id Daley had beaten Kos...Daley gsp would have been a severe bust...now with the Okami Marquardt incident...IMO neither of those guys had earned a title shot yet...so why were they fighting each other to see who gets the next title shot? Dana should just keep his mouth shut and wait till after the fights to make those kind of decisions

...just quit doing it Dana....no one would think lesser of him if he just said he wouldnt make those kinds of promises or innuendos until after the match...Could you imagine id Daley had beaten Kos...Daley gsp would have been a severe bust...now with the Okami Marquardt incident...IMO neither of those guys had earned a title shot yet...so why were they fighting each other to see who gets the next title shot? Dana should just keep his mouth shut and wait till after the fights to make those kind of decisions

At this point, he probably will.

It sucks because us fans want to know what's going on in the title pictures. But at the same time' date=' we would all like to see guys go all out in their fights rather than shoot for decisions.[/quote']

Yeah, but the guys who are adopting LnP do so in fights where they aren't being promised title shots if they win - see Fitch, Jon and Maynard, Gray (who was actually more entertaining than usual when he beat Kenny Florian.)

I reckon we should get defined title eliminators*, but with the given proviso that a guy who wins a #1 contenders match in unimpressive style isn't necessarily guaranteed a title shot because the manner of victory is almost as important as the victory itself and also that if the time frame's don't work out then the #1 contendership could be put up for grabs again - as has regularly happened in the Middleweight division of late.

* I'm a fan of #1 contenders matches, because it puts the spotlight on a fighter who may until that point have been raking up wins with little fanfare and it serves as a neat starting-point for the promotion of the eventual title fight.

A #1 contenders match also solidifies a challenger's credentials as a genuine threat - a good example is Cain's KO1 of Big Nog, where he'd been impressive but unspectacular in beating a sucession of relatively limited fighters begore that time. That highlight reel KO of a former champion really made the prmotion of Lesnar-Velasquez that bit saucier.

Similarly, if Frankie Edgar had beaten Kenny Florian or someone similar in an announced #1 contenders match, he probably wouldnt have been such an underdog going into the first BJ fight.

Of course, it's not always possible as guys get injured, divisions go through a spell of having no-one on an impressive streajk (which is why Shogun got his title shot, as he was literally the ONLY top 10 LHW on a 2-0 run going into the first match with Machida) but as a general rule, I LIKE #1 contenders matches.

SO true...As far as "us as fans want to know what the title picutre looks like" that is BS.

If you watch the fights and follow whats going on you will know who the contenders are. Its no mistery that the guys who are beating the other guys in their class are closer to getting a shot.

All these #1 contender fights are ruined by the "I dont want to lose my opportunity" mentality/. SHould just let these guys fight and let Joe Silva make the fights as he sees fit.

Dana can then just speak to who he thinks is in the mix and what fighters will potentially get title shots if they keep winning.

However if we are asking DW to shut up with his promises we also should ask him to set up some sort of system so that guys dont get overlooked for title shots.

DW uses the excuse that Sheilds gets a titel shot over Fitch becasue Fitch already had a title shot and Jake hasnt. Thats compelte BS. DW overlooked Maynad and let Frankie (who Maynard beat) have a shot.

SO true...As far as "us as fans want to know what the title picutre looks like" that is BS.

If you watch the fights and follow whats going on you will know who the contenders are. Its no mistery that the guys who are beating the other guys in their class are closer to getting a shot.

All these #1 contender fights are ruined by the "I dont want to lose my opportunity" mentality/. SHould just let these guys fight and let Joe Silva make the fights as he sees fit.

Dana can then just speak to who he thinks is in the mix and what fighters will potentially get title shots if they keep winning.

However if we are asking DW to shut up with his promises we also should ask him to set up some sort of system so that guys dont get overlooked for title shots.

DW uses the excuse that Sheilds gets a titel shot over Fitch becasue Fitch already had a title shot and Jake hasnt. Thats compelte BS. DW overlooked Maynad and let Frankie (who Maynard beat) have a shot.

+1

Promising title-shots is all part of the hype. Less than a third of pay-per-views have title-matches anymore. More people will buy a pay-per-view if there are title implications. Problem is when Dana makes the "Contender" proclamation, and then both fighters end up sucking. I have absolutely no desire to ever see Okami or Marquardt in a title fight after Saturday's performance.

Archived