UFC event titles to eventually look like boxing titles

amarvit

I always liked the old UFC event titles (like UFC 68: The Uprising and UFC 74: Respect) but nowadays most of the UFC titles just have the names of the main event fighters following the number (like UFC 122: Marquardt vs Okami and UFC 121: Lesnar vs Velasquez). I'm glad UFC 125 isnt called Edgar vs Maynard II.

What I'm "kinda" worried about is that, eventually, when the UFC gets to like UFC 150 or UFC 200, they might just decide to call events "St-Pierre vs Silva" or "Machida vs Jones" or whatever. Similar to boxing like "Mayweather vs Mosley".

They already did (or tried to do) a similar thing with "Aldo vs Faber" but that was probably for different reasons all together...

Thoughts?

I always liked the old UFC event titles (like UFC 68: The Uprising and UFC 74: Respect) but nowadays most of the UFC titles just have the names of the main event fighters following the number (like UFC 122: Marquardt vs Okami and UFC 121: Lesnar vs Velasquez). I'm glad UFC 125 isnt called Edgar vs Maynard II.

What I'm "kinda" worried about is that' date=' eventually, when the UFC gets to like UFC 150 or UFC 200, they might just decide to call events "St-Pierre vs Silva" or "Machida vs Jones" or whatever. Similar to boxing like "Mayweather vs Mosley".

They already did (or tried to do) a similar thing with "Aldo vs Faber" but that was probably for different reasons all together...

Thoughts?[/quote']

There are only so many "catchy" names you can put as an event title before they start to look lame and recycled.

Having the headliners beside the card # is just fine. It's refined, and less WWEish imo.

There are only so many "catchy" names you can put as an event title before they start to look lame and recycled.

Having the headliners beside the card # is just fine. It's refined' date=' and less WWEish imo.[/quote']

True...thats probably why they have slowly brushed aside the cool names and just put fighter names up. Although they should still try think of cool names every so often for special events like Super Bowl weekend or going to new countries (like they did for Abu Dhabi)...

I still think that soon "UFC 176" would also sound tacky and events will just be called "UFC Presents: Machida vs Jones" or whatever...:S

"UFC #: Fighter A vs Fighter B" sounds more professional than "UFC #: ULTIMATE AVENGER DOOM"

Yeah I agree it does sound more professional but take a look at boxing...unless you are a HARCORE boxing fan you probably won't know/care about the fighters on the undercard of a "Mayweather vs Someone" event so Fighter A vs Fighter B is logical for boxing events for marketing reasons. But on a UFC event, chances are, you know all the fighters on the main card and probably quite a few on the prelims (view from an "moderate" fan) so having Fighter A vs Fighter B kinda takes it away from the other fighters like Penn and Hughes in the upcoming UFC 123 event. Penn and Hughes could easily headline their own UFC event (maybe even better then Rampage vs Machida???)...

I guess its all a matter of opinion...

Archived