Strikeforce Gets UFC To Tap: 10 Reasons It's the Hottest Company in MMA

uedamasa

Strikeforce Gets UFC To Tap: 10 Reasons It's the Hottest Company in MMA | Bleacher Report

By Artie Cooper

103377846_crop_340x234.jpg?1290202731

Strikeforce has proven itself to be a potent force in the MMA world

The Strikeforce brand of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) was born in 2006 in San Jose, Calif., 12 years after the company was founded as an ESPN kickboxing series, and the company has since become the world?s second-largest promoter of world championship MMA fights.

With live events on Showtime and CBS, Strikeforce has the television muscle behind it to continue its growth and propel the sport of MMA to unforeseen heights.

Here's Why:

Very interesting' date=' especially the[b'] Fighter Freedom[/b] part and the promoting part.

this.

UFC pays more.

so ufc has alot of good fighters.

UFC has maybe 50% of the worlds best MMA fighters.

but the UFC is run by a ****.

I LOVE watching reem in K1........ I just love watching K1 period.

I always wondered why SF fighters were fighting in dream/K1 and now I know why.

good article.

The UFC doesn't have the best fighters. That's all that should matter to any of you so called MMA fans.

I agree.

they have SOME of the best fighters.

the dont have reem or aoki. and they are signing a **** load of ****ing wrestling losers.

UFC have alot of the greats, but when dana says "the UFC is where you go to fight the best" and you come into the UFC and fight ****ing chris eatsaburger, you cant tell me that is anywhere NEAR reem, fedor, bigfoot, etc.

the problem is that dana is hyping it to be more than it is.

and that makes him look like a **** (which he is) and the UFC fans (not MMA fans, not fight fans....UFC fans) who swallow that **** whole just get fired up and go on the defense when you say "aoki would rape edgar".

across all weight classes yes...... but they have had more time to develop that roster' date=' and they have more money.........

and the UFC HW div is NOT better then the SF HW div.[/quote']

Yes, but the UFC will continue to get the best fighters. hen you hear kids talking, you don't hear them say "I wanna be the Strikeforce World Champion", you hear them say "I wanna be the UFC World Champion". Because the UFC is where people aspire to be at, it will continue to get the best fighters. Strikeforce may get a few, but, the UFC usually ends up getting them e.g Shields

Yes' date=' but the UFC will continue to get the best fighters. hen you hear kids talking, you don't hear them say "I wanna be the Strikeforce World Champion", you hear them say "I wanna be the UFC World Champion". Because the UFC is where people aspire to be at, it will continue to get the best fighters. Strikeforce may get a few, but, the UFC usually ends up getting them e.g Shields[/quote']

TODAY the kids are saying that.

but if the orgonization continues to run around like they own the sport and continue to fraudulently hype half assed fighters while discounting great fighters simply because they signed a contract with someone else they will lose credibility and lose their strangle hold on the north american market.

does asia give 2 ****s about lesnar losing the belt?

no.

america does. (and canada)

and so long as rogan keeps his head up his own *** talking about how great ****ing lesnar is (or whoever the next lesnar is .....is) then it will all fall apart.

I ONLY care about entertaining fights..... PERIOD.... and for the last 3 months I havent gotten any (minus les getting destroyed)

K1 has had consistantly better fights then UFC and FOR FREE.

you cant say "this is how it is now so this is how it will always be"

if UFC doesnt start dealing with their lay'n'pray ******** wrestlers they keep signing then it will only go down hill.

they have been moving in the right direction.

and the last card was fantastic.

but competition is good, and as far as the north american market goes, strike force has a very valid HW div AND the have mousasi who IMO is easily a top 5 LHW or MW.

I agree with the fighter freedom and that they are now shields-less which is better. Shields needs to go up to middleweight and fight Demian Maia. Maybe that will choke the blanket out of him.

"When the consensus No. 1 mixed martial arts fighter of all time decided to fight in America, where did he turn? Strikeforce"

Firstly he's not the #1 fighter. Secondly he went to UFC first and they told him that the terms are ridiculous so he HAD to go somewhere else..

yeah' date=' SF has done extremely well to get where they have in that amount of time[/quote']

exactly.... and given another decade it wont be UFC=MMA anymore for the casual fans.

MMA fans know that the UFC is alot of hype with some substance.

but casual fans just eat up everything dana and rogan **** out their necks.

in 5 or 10 years things will be different in north america.

right now TODAY the UFC have around half the worlds best MMA fighters, but they also have dana straight up lying to the fans and rogan sucking nuts on his man crush boss.

this does not bode well for the company in the long run.

I agree with the fighter freedom and that they are now shields-less which is better. Shields needs to go up to middleweight and fight Demian Maia. Maybe that will choke the blanket out of him.

"When the consensus No. 1 mixed martial arts fighter of all time decided to fight in America' date=' where did he turn? Strikeforce"

Firstly he's not the #1 fighter. Secondly he went to UFC first and they told him that the terms are ridiculous so he HAD to go somewhere else..[/quote']

the UFC came to him with retarded terms.

TODAY the kids are saying that.

but if the orgonization continues to run around like they own the sport and continue to fraudulently hype half assed fighters while discounting great fighters simply because they signed a contract with someone else they will lose credibility and lose their strangle hold on the north american market.

does asia give 2 ****s about lesnar losing the belt?

no.

america does. (and canada)

and so long as rogan keeps his head up his own *** talking about how great ****ing lesnar is (or whoever the next lesnar is .....is) then it will all fall apart.

I ONLY care about entertaining fights..... PERIOD.... and for the last 3 months I havent gotten any (minus les getting destroyed)

K1 has had consistantly better fights then UFC and FOR FREE.

you cant say "this is how it is now so this is how it will always be"

if UFC doesnt start dealing with their lay'n'pray ******** wrestlers they keep signing then it will only go down hill.

they have been moving in the right direction.

and the last card was fantastic.

but competition is good' date=' and as far as the north american market goes, strike force has a very valid HW div AND the have mousasi who IMO is easily a top 5 LHW or MW.[/quote']

True, but they have a stranglehold on the australian, and european markets, thats a big thing. And I do think the UFC will move into asia, and you can bet your balls that they will stack the card with former Pride Fighters, which will start to give them big crowds over there. If the UFC go to Asia, with a card predominately made up of strikers, and get a big fanbase, they will pretty much be unstoppable

As for them not caring about Lesnar, Im surprised, Asians love freakshows.

But Lesnar gets huge buys for the company, the UFC knows how to make big bucks. But I do agree, they need to stop signing wrestlers, or change the rules so it doesn't suit them as much.

As for Mousasi, you would have to think that the UFC is trying to buy him. As said before, the UFC can afford to buy the best fighters

I agree with most of what you are saying, but because the average audience is something like 18-34 year old males, and Dana White has pretty much found exactly what they want, I don't think Strikeforce can compete.

True' date=' but they have a stranglehold on the australian, and european markets, thats a big thing. And I do think the UFC will move into asia, and you can bet your balls that they will stack the card with former Pride Fighters, which will start to give them big crowds over there. If the UFC go to Asia, with a card predominately made up of strikers, and get a big fanbase, they will pretty much be unstoppable

As for them not caring about Lesnar, Im surprised, Asians love freakshows.

But Lesnar gets huge buys for the company, the UFC knows how to make big bucks. But I do agree, they need to stop signing wrestlers, or change the rules so it doesn't suit them as much.

As for Mousasi, you would have to think that the UFC is trying to buy him. As said before, the UFC can afford to buy the best fighters

I agree with most of what you are saying, but because the average audience is something like 18-34 year old males, and Dana White has pretty much found exactly what they want, I don't think Strikeforce can compete.[/quote']

cant argue with that.... other than the asian market.

UFC will NEVER have that period.

dream/K1. 100%.

the UFC doesnt sign asian fighters.

I want to see the UFC get ripped apart and knocked down so they ACTUALLY have to compete....... they DO have to compete for the HW market.... but they are doing really well every where else and it is ruining the sport.

for example "we are the best...... we dont give a ****..... lets sign guys who will win... wrestlers..... **** the fans."

see where I am going?

I dont appreciate that I paid for 3+ PPV's that were ****ing rip offs.

I know that new fans will see a UFC event in a bar and become dana slaves...... I get that...... but IF they had another option...... then they would pay for the more entertaining one...... and then UFC would have to say "waitaminute...... these wrestlers are ****ing with our money..... we better look at changing the point system, or the rules, or whatever we need to do to make please the fans"

THIS is what I want and what I see happening in the future.

it isnt "lol....dude....UFC PWNS SF!"

its "give me my ****ing moneys worth"

brand loyalty is ****ing pathetic. and brand loyalty is what dana and his crew try to push on everyone "we are the best........ the best come to UFC" and then wow....a card with 90% wrestler decisions.

competition is good for business, good for the consumer, good for everyone.

and people will see this........... but like I said.... it might take 5 years for the ball to start rolling simply because everyone wants to be on the winning ****ing team........ they dont want to buy a beta max........ well **** it.....UFC is selling me **** right now and hyping it like its ****ing candied yams.

1 good card out of 4 is NOT the "best fighters in the world"

the UFC came to him with retarded terms.

terms like "M1 can't take half the UFC's money on every event through co-promotion"?

yeah thats retarded. It's already come out that the co-promotion thing is what made the deal fall through. And to be honest if I was Dana I wouldn't co-promote just to sign 1 good fighter.

cant argue with that.... other than the asian market.

UFC will NEVER have that period.

dream/K1. 100%.

the UFC doesnt sign asian fighters.

I want to see the UFC get ripped apart and knocked down so they ACTUALLY have to compete....... they DO have to compete for the HW market.... but they are doing really well every where else and it is ruining the sport.

for example "we are the best...... we dont give a ****..... lets sign guys who will win... wrestlers..... **** the fans."

see where I am going?

I dont appreciate that I paid for 3+ PPV's that were ****ing rip offs.

I know that new fans will see a UFC event in a bar and become dana slaves...... I get that...... but IF they had another option...... then they would pay for the more entertaining one...... and then UFC would have to say "waitaminute...... these wrestlers are ****ing with our money..... we better look at changing the point system' date=' or the rules, or whatever we need to do to make please the fans"

THIS is what I want and what I see happening in the future.

it isnt "lol....dude....UFC PWNS SF!"

its "give me my ****ing moneys worth"

brand loyalty is ****ing pathetic. and brand loyalty is what dana and his crew try to push on everyone "we are the best........ the best come to UFC" and then wow....a card with 90% wrestler decisions.

competition is good for business, good for the consumer, good for everyone.

and people will see this........... but like I said.... it might take 5 years for the ball to start rolling simply because everyone wants to be on the winning ****ing team........ they dont want to buy a beta max........ well **** it.....UFC is selling me **** right now and hyping it like its ****ing candied yams.

1 good card out of 4 is NOT the "best fighters in the world"[/quote']

But you must admit, they do attempt to put on entertaining fights. And as for thm never getting tha Asian market, they probably won't, but they haven't really attempted it yet

The bad thing about the UFC is the wrestlers, but aslo the fighters who think they can mess around with the fans, e.g Anderson Silva Vs. Demian Maia. If the fighters really want to be treated with respect fighters need to stop acting like that

With the wrestling issu, we have seen phases in the UFC ll the time. It started with BJJ, then Striking, now its onto wrestling. Unfortunately it seems like it is here to stay

But fans do have power. Dana White scrapped the Mir/Lesnar III fight, because fans complained on twitter, which at least shows he does care a bit about fans, because you can bet that would have been HUGE!!

The unfortunate thing about what you said is, although I agree competition is good for the UFC, I said before, the demographic for UFC fans is 18-34 year olds, and they will probably never look to Strikeforce, because they do believe all that Dana says.

But, his was a good discussion, but I am now going to bed, so thank you

I'd like to see the SF HW division fight more before anyone calls it better then UFC's. I'll give Dana this. Hes right about how UFC fighters fight more and put there status/ranking on the line more where as oveerem and fedor barely fight MMA. I think its a ****ing joke if you sit there duck fights and still be ranked top 10! The SF HW roster definately looks better from a paper point of view but when the **** do these guys fight? How many public statements did Bigfoot have to make before he got a fight? SF better then the UFC GTFO!

Everything outside the UFC is so over hyped, fighters will want to fight for the ufc...it has more weight divisions and more are being added

Exposure to sponsorship and people is greater, its all well and good saying "we the hardcore fans"

tbh i wouldn't care if the hardcore fans hated me

if all the casual fans loved me

I really think people are just clutching at straws when they say the ufc have half the best fighters in the world.

I'd say its a much greater number than that

Everything outside the UFC is so over hyped' date=' fighters will want to fight for the ufc...it has more weight divisions and more are being added

Exposure to sponsorship and people is greater, its all well and good saying "we the hardcore fans"

tbh i wouldn't care if the hardcore fans hated me

if all the casual fans loved me

I really think people are just clutching at straws when they say the ufc have half the best fighters in the world.

I'd say its a much greater number than that[/quote']

slam dunk!

UFC < MMA

In the end it will come down to who has better fights and The UFC is losing a lot of ground in that regard. Long time MMA fans already view The UFC as an overhyped watered down product that is failing to deliver more often than not. It's going to become more and more popular for fans to view The UFC as noobsville and gravitate towards something grittier and more real.

I'd say its a much greater number than that

you only watch UFC.

this is blatantly obvious.

watch some SF events, dream, K1...........

free K1 HW finals on HDNet early december.

it will be the best fight event of the year.

UFC < MMA

In the end it will come down to who has better fights and The UFC is losing a lot of ground in that regard. Long time MMA fans already view The UFC as an overhyped watered down product that is failing to deliver more often than not. It's going to become more and more popular for fans to view The UFC as noobsville and gravitate towards something grittier and more real.

Good fights. AS a whole though' date=' UFC is getting slightly stale.

you only watch UFC.

this is blatantly obvious.

watch some SF events, dream, K1...........

free K1 HW finals on HDNet early december.

it will be the best fight event of the year.

this ^

The only thing the UFC has over every other organization is depth.

Sure the top guys from other promotions can hang in their respective divisions, but once you get past the top 4 or 5 guys in the organization, their talent pools are horribly thin.

Just look at the past few events, I would say that while there may have been a few fights which disappointed a few people, for the most part the level of skill and technique displayed by both parties in the UFC fights far surpasses anyone else.

The only thing the UFC has over every other organization is depth.

Sure the top guys from other promotions can hang in their respective divisions' date=' but once you get past the top 4 or 5 guys in the organization, their talent pools are horribly thin.

Just look at the past few events, I would say that while there may have been a few fights which disappointed a few people, for the most part the level of skill and technique displayed by both parties in the UFC fights far surpasses anyone else.[/quote']

The only thing. How about way more events, way more media coverage, there very own TV show. Come on, the UFC kills every other mma organization. How many free events do other shows put on, and by free I mean what I get to see on my basic cable, showtiume not included. Strikeforce.. maybe 2 free events a year, dream- never seen a free event, Bellator- never seen a free event. UFC I see tons of free fights on Spike and WEC shows live events on the score. ZUFFA is pounding the **** out of every mma organization out there.

What a fair and balanced article that was, Fox news worthy reporting that is.

My issues with SF,

SF most recent Womens title Match,

9-1 Cyborg

Vs

8-7 Finney,

Ya what???? 8-7 Vs 9-1 title holder, yes thats MMAth but when it is extreme it applies.

I have mixed feelings about watching women fight, but if they are going to do it, don't feed your champs the MMA equivelent of Homer Simpson.

Finney is kinda hot and all but all she showed in that fight was chin nothing more.

9/10 of those reasons are bs lol

Well its a poorly written article. I can give you ten reasons why Strikeforce is a great organization and has advantages over the UFC.

1. The first and most important is that Strikeforce doesnt have an elitist view and is willing to co- promote and work with organizations like dream and k-1. This is a huge advantage over the UFC.

2. Strikeforce pools its fighters from fight camps from around the world and also from affiliate organizations. The UFC pools most of its fighters from campsin the US. keep in mind i said most.

3. Nick Diaz. 2 of Nick Diaz's events vs Noons and vs Shamrock outsold ppv and seats over UFC events GSP/Hardy and All of Anderson Silva's fights after Rich and before Chael. He may be whatever you call him but Nick Diaz doesnt ****foot around in the ring.

4. The HW's in strikeforce are world renowned while everyone in the HW dept in the UFC is US renowned.

5. Contracts. UFC contracts will never allow a fighter to perform in other combat sports like Kickboxing. I believe the UFC fighters are restricted to grappling tournaments but i may be wrong and they might not allow that either. You might think this is a problem, especially with guys like Overreem who hasnt defended his strikeforce title in a long while but this gives fighters a chance to fight elsewhere during 90 medical suspensions for say... dehydration. Would you not love to see GSP defend his belt against Hardy and then go to dream and grapple Sakuraba?

6. UFC is the home of the best and most competive. This means they only want to house the best and the rest are given the boot. Not only is this elitist but also has an air of tension among fighters and fans. The elitist mentality of the UFC is a huge factor why last fight memory is a plague. Strikeforce has no such air. Do your best and thats it.

7. Jake Shields. This is probably the best thing strikeforce could have allowed. Jake Shields is no different than the Antonio Mcghee's of the world. They have low draw and severe sleep syndrome during their fights. Not only did strikeforce free up a spot in a division for a new champion but they actually dumped a boring wrestler on the UFC which is rampant with its own lay n prayers, especially in the division he is in now.

8. Scott Coker vs Dana White. While i love Dana White, Coker is smarter and more civil. He has done the most important thing a boss can do and thats fade into the background and let the fighters fully grasp the fame so that when you think Strikeforce, you dont think Coker. You think Nick Diaz, Robbie Lawlor, Gerard Mousasi, Overreem, Fedor.

9. Strikeforce challengers functions as a small circuit affilliate under the same name as Strikeforce. However this circuit gives all fighters a chance and not just the fighters the UFC scouts and joe find acceptable. Challengers is very adaptable to fighter pools and doesnt look for specifics.

10. Something big is coming for Strikeforce in the form of funding and acquisitions. Keep your eyes open because when it happens, a huge new fanbase will be jumping onboard.

Archived