Belfort = Ideal opponent for Silva

bluesy

I'm sure this has been said time and time again, but after going through my collection of Anderson's fights, it just seems like something notable to bring up once more.

The truth is, Silva loves to counter-strike. The reason why some of his fights have been lacklustre (vs. Leites and Maia, for example) is because not everyone is up to the task of standing and banging with him. I mean, those guys were getting owned in the stand-up, but they never seemed to bring out the killer in Silva because they didn't take any chances. It seems like when you play it relatively safe, Silva toys with you just to show you how much you lack in balls. But when you're persistent and aggressive, THAT'S when he gets off and turns it up. We've seen it over and over again: his opponent finds a rhythm, starts chasing him, swinging away and Anderson gets pumped, nodding his head and gesturing, "bring it on!" This is his fuel. He needs guys who can put the pressure on him because he responds very well to pressure and gleefully returns it threefold.

My point is, Belfort is the kind of dude who'll take it to Silva; he's aggressive, he's persistent, he'll take chances -- he's the kind of guy that Anderson will counter-strike to great effect and he'll bring out the beast in Silva, if past fights are any indication. He's the perfect opponent.

This isn't exactly a prediction, but a pattern that has become evident throughout the career of the best P4P fighter today. Whatever the outcome, this is gonna be one bad-*** strikefest and I can't wait!

The Chael situation seems like kind of an outlier, but when you really look at it, there are several factors that come into play there. First, Anderson was putting up a hell of a fight the whole way through and won in the end. Second, Chael is a wrestler who was on steroids, therefore, he imposed his will on him to great effect (not enough to do serious damage or win, though). Third, Anderson was operating with wounded ribs for that fight and showed what a complete stud he was by taking a beating and winning the way he did.

Anderson has never faught a striker like Vitor. Vitor will be too fast for him and Anderson will get KTFO with no chance to counter.

and vitor has never fought a striker like anderson. :/

sometimes using the "_____ has never fought a _____ like _____" argument is just as dumb as mmath.

The Chael situation seems like kind of an outlier' date=' but when you really look at it, there are several factors that come into play there. First, Anderson was putting up a hell of a fight the whole way through and won in the end. Second, Chael is a wrestler who was on steroids, therefore, he imposed his will on him to great effect (not enough to do serious damage or win, though). Third, Anderson was operating with wounded ribs for that fight and showed what a complete stud he was by taking a beating and winning the way he did.[/quote']

Afaik Chael was doing hormone replacement therapy. It's not the same as steroids.

He'd been cleared on it in a previous fight. Okami or Marquart i believe.

He told the commission and they were fine with it. The only gripe was something about paper work procedure wasn't followed correctly.

All respect to Anderson but you can throw that excuse out the window.

Afaik Chael was doing hormone replacement therapy. It's not the same as steroids.

He told the commission and they were fine with it. The only gripe was something about paper work procedure wasn't followed correctly.

Testosterone is a steroid and he had 4x the normal level come fight night. And you didn't watch the hearing obviously because they were not fine with it. He paid his full fine and served his time (he only had his time reduced). And you believe what the tall tales that Sonnen the documented thief and liar spits out then I have a bridge for sale sir.

and vitor has never fought a striker like anderson. :/

sometimes using the "_____ has never fought a _____ like _____" argument is just as dumb as mmath.

Andersons technique is counter striking so Vitors just gonna go in there and knock Anderson out before he can even counter.

Testosterone is a steroid and he had 4x the normal level come fight night. And you didn't watch the hearing obviously because they were not fine with it. He paid his full fine and served his time (he only had his time reduced). And you believe what the tall tales that Sonnen the documented thief and liar spits out then I have a bridge for sale sir.

Maybe so. I've just read the story all over the net not from the horses mouth but it was fine when he was doing it for Okami no?

I don't know that much about it tbh but he sure didn't get the same penalty as other fighters found to be using steroids.

I do believe people use it as an excuse to save face for Anderson though.

chael sonnen was persistant and aggressive too.

but dont get me wrong i hope youre right' date=' andersons one of my faves and i hope he lights vitor up.[/quote']

Ah, but remember everybody has holes in their games and skills, and Vitor is the ideal fighter

and smartest and one of the most skilled MMA fighters who will definitely find weaknesses in

Anderson's rhythm and timing and then will go in for the attack or counterattack and KTFO of

Anderson Silva.

Maybe so. I've just read the story all over the net not from the horses mouth but it was fine when he was doing it for Okami no?

I don't know that much about it tbh but he sure didn't get the same penalty as other fighters found to be using steroids.

Why would Anderson need to save face? He won. A lot of fighters have come back from an *** whoopin and won. It's no big deal that he was on his back for 4 rounds. The end result is still the end result.

He did get the same penalty. A fine and a suspension, he still had to pay the fine he just got his time reduced.

Why would Anderson need to save face? He won. A lot of fighters have come back from an *** whoopin and won. It's no big deal that he was on his back for 4 rounds. The end result is still the end result.

I agree im mostly taking about alot of his diehard fans that use it as an excuse for the whipping he took for 4 and 1/2 rounds. In my eyes it made me respect him even more.

He did get the same penalty. A fine and a suspension' date=' he still had to pay the fine he just got his time reduced.[/quote']

Maybe so. I still don't see why he wouldn't get the full penalty and it was ok in the past when he was cleared for Okami.

I agree im mostly taking about alot of his diehard fans that use it as an excuse for the whipping he took for 4 and 1/2 rounds. In my eyes it made me respect him even more.

Maybe so. I still don't see why he wouldn't get the full penalty and it was ok in the past when he was cleared for Okami.

Yeah I thought it was pretty impressive for him to still find a way to win, having said that though....

WAR PENN! You're ****ed at 127 Fitch, A colostomy bag and food in bag form is in your future you ******.

i have a feeling that anderson is just gonna come out and absolutely destroy belfort. i think hes gonna be motivated to prove his p4p status after the poor performances against maia and sonnen. hes done it before; after his outings vs cote and leites he made a statement against griffin. i think hes gonna try to make a statement vs belfort as well.

thank you! and he isn't the only fighter doing it, he simply flubbed the paperwork. why does couture get a pass for TRT and chael is villified?

Anderson Silva seems pretty keen to test himself against Vitor and Vitor has said way to many i hope im ready type stuff for my liking. Remember Vitor has been beatin like 8 times before and if he doesnt win the fight in the first 2 minutes, then Anderson will probably win if it goes the distance, hes prooved he can outlast guys in 5 rounds. Anybody who can take a beating for 4 and a half rounds by a guy on steroids and still come away with the win AND do more damage to his opponent from the ground than the guy on top is 1 tough MOFO.

Lol at people saying Chael beat Anderson because of 'steroids'. You people are ****es.

He didn't declare exactly was going on, you ****es make it sound like he swallowed a pill on his walk in to the fight and suddenly got 5x stronger which enabled him to take Silva down. ****es.

Anyway, Belfort vs Silva should be good. I think Silva will win though, I'd guess TKO rd2.

It's never going to be perfect, but I believe that if a fighter wins 4 rounds in such a dominant way, only to get caught by a flukey last ditch sub attempt, the fight should go to the hands of the judges.

Just like takedowns, I believe that submissions should simply add points to that fighters card. Tap = a certain amount of points for example. Think about it as an OVERALL fight. Who would you say won in a street fight, someone who got a 20minute pounding, or the guy who manages to throw his legs up in pain and catch him in a triangle? It doesn't take away the fact that as a whole, the other guy got his *** handed to him on a plate.

But it wasnt flukey. What was flukey about the submission? nothing. The only flukey thing about it was the timing of it, not the set up. That submission set up for teh last 2 rounds was very well thought out and strategically drilled.Chael came away more bruised, beaten and bloodied up than Silva did and Silva was setting that Submission up for 2 rounds before he got it. I do think they should have a 10 minute first round though.

But it wasnt flukey. What was flukey about the submission? nothing. Chael came away more bruised' date=' beaten and bloodied up than Silva did and Silva was setting that Submission up for 2 rounds before he got it. I do think they should have a 10 minute first round though.[/quote']

To get beat up for 4 rounds then win via a single move can be described as 'flukey'.

It was a textbook triangle and Chael was dumb, but it's still kinda lucky for Silva to come out with a win after being dominated simply because

:

-the fight was almost done

-and Silva was getting crapped on in every second of every round up until then.

yeah but it was only lucky becasue of the timeframe. Lets say a round went for 10 minutes. i think Anderson still would of got it eventually and he was setting it up for 2 - 3 whole rounds holding Cheal's wrist. The only lucky thing was the time he pulled it off. It was lucky maybe but no way was it flukey. That was extremely skilled.

You could see that Anderson Silva knew exactly what he was doing. He also did way more damage to Cheal in that 4 and a half round period and chael looked more exhausted than Silva did. When i look back at th efight , what Anderson Silva was doing it was only a matter of time. He did Nogieura texbook. Get hit over and over and get your opponent thinking your hurt while you set up a submission. Its BJJ 101. Silva did it completely textbook. He was just lucky he got the submission done in the 5 minute timeframe.

The Chael situation seems like kind of an outlier' date=' but when you really look at it, there are several factors that come into play there. First, Anderson was putting up a hell of a fight the whole way through and won in the end. Second, Chael is a wrestler who was on steroids, therefore, he imposed his will on him to great effect (not enough to do serious damage or win, though). Third, Anderson was operating with wounded ribs for that fight and showed what a complete stud he was by taking a beating and winning the way he did.[/quote']

first of all CHael was not on steroids at all, it was a medicine that he took because he had an infection prior to the fight, point is it didnt help his performance in the fight in anyway.

Second, andersons rib injury was very exaggurrated since he didnt even react when chael punched him in the ribs several times, he might have had a small bruise but it was nothing major and Silva still used it as an excuse because he got domianted for 4 1/2 rounds.

a rematch would play out the same, except that chael would probably win because this time its likely he would Lay n pray the last round which would have secured him a victory in the first fight.

yeah but it was only lucky becasue of the timeframe. Lets say a round went for 10 minutes. i think Anderson still would of got it eventually and he was setting it up for 2 - 3 whole rounds holding Cheal's wrist. The only lucky thing was the time he pulled it off. It was lucky maybe but no way was it flukey. That was extremely skilled.

You could see that Anderson Silva knew exactly what he was doing. He also did way more damage to Cheal in that 4 and a half round period and chael looked more exhausted than Silva did. When i look back at th efight ' date=' what Anderson Silva was doing it was only a matter of time. He did Nogieura texbook. Get hit over and over and get your opponent thinking your hurt while you set up a submission. Its BJJ 101. Silva did it completely textbook. He was just lucky he got the submission done in the 5 minute timeframe.[/quote']

and you are also wrong, Chael did more damage to Silva only it was internal damage while The reason chael looked more bloodied was because Silva used ELBOWS on him which are known to easily open cuts.

So silva did more external damage because he used elbows but Sonnen did more internal damage, if you look at the post interview with Silva you can see how swollen up his face is.

also Silva needed to go to the hospital after the fight which sonnen didnt need to, sure could have been because of the ribs but im sure that wasnt the only reason.

and it was very lucky and you might say flukey for anderson that he got that Sub, he had maybe one single other attemt during the whole fight so he didnt really work for it, and also the fact that Sonnen could have layed and prayed at that point and thus securing his victory.

but Silva got lucky that sonnen tried to finish and thus got a opportunity handed to him.

So no Anderson didnt know what he was doing, he was probably certain he was going to loose up until he got that chance, still its very impressive of him to manage to capitalize on that single mistake. but he got lucky, period.

It's never going to be perfect' date=' but I believe that if a fighter wins 4 rounds in such a dominant way, only to get caught by a flukey last ditch sub attempt, the fight should go to the hands of the judges.

Just like takedowns, I believe that submissions should simply add points to that fighters card. Tap = a certain amount of points for example. Think about it as an OVERALL fight. Who would you say won in a street fight, someone who got a 20minute pounding, or the guy who manages to throw his legs up in pain and catch him in a triangle? It doesn't take away the fact that as a whole, the other guy got his *** handed to him on a plate.[/quote']

LMFAO real hard. This makes no sense at all man. When someone taps thier acknowledging there defeat by quiting.

On the street you die or get maimed.

I didnt see the fight that way at all. I know Chael was beating on him for 4 rounds. But in the last 2 or 3 rounds Anderson Silva was waiting for his opportunity, kept getting hit, kept getting hit. Then got the submission and Won the fight with a few seconds to go. Thats what i saw. Lucky because of the timeleft, not flukey. I think Silva did know what he was doing and has you fooled lol. OH , he had Sonnen fooled to, because he won, lol. He might not of known when the opportunity would present itself, but Silva looked real calm in there man, in those last 2 rounds. He was just waiting for the right time. Yeah he was close to losing an up hill fight, and hes lucky he didn tlose. But he waited and waited. Got it just before the bell rang.

Had he not got teh sub, yeah Sonnen would of won. But he did and he timed it beautifully.

Your completely wrong about Vitor' date=' he is a counter puncher same as Anderson, get your facts straight. What you said about Anderson is correct but Vitor is not the same fighter he was when he was 19yrs old fighting in UFC.[/quote']

He's a counter puncher but when he finds an opening he blitzkriegs. Im curious to see how he'll deal with Anderson's reach, sure he's probably physically faster but Anderson is fast too especially at reading people's intentions.

I honestly think Vitor will have to mix it up and use his wrestling and BJJ to defeat Anderson. If he goes out there and just tries to strike i think he'll have a bad night.

I didnt see the fight that way at all. I know Chael was beating on him for 4 rounds. But in the last 2 or 3 rounds Anderson Silva was waiting for his opportunity' date=' kept getting hit, kept getting hit. Then got the submission and Won the fight with a few seconds to go. Thats what i saw. Lucky because of the timeleft, not flukey. I think Silva did know what he was doing and has you fooled lol. OH , he had Sonnen fooled to, because he won, lol. He might not of known when the opportunity would present itself, but Silva looked real calm in there man, in those last 2 rounds. He was just waiting for the right time. Yeah he was close to losing an up hill fight, and hes lucky he didn tlose. But he waited and waited. Got it just before the bell rang.

Had he not got teh sub, yeah Sonnen would of won. But he did and he timed it beautifully.[/quote']

nah Silva definitely didnt know what he as doing, he probably knew his only chance to win was by Submission but thats it. if you look at his face when each of the later rounds start you can see that he is in disbelief and very desperate. and honestly he didnt get any other sub attempt except for that kimura so he just got lucky that chael gave him that single opportunity at the end. if chael would have just layed there with his face onto silvas chest he fight would have been lost for silva already.

and also the way Silva got on his knees after the fight tells me he was in chock that he won himself.

or just really respectful lol and Sonnen was an *******. Silva just fought the hardest figth of his life and did a very humble thing at the end. Sonnen just shrugged him off like a piece of meat. It was pretty awful to watch, from Sonnen.

But yeah i do agree that Sonnen was winning the fight pretty easy. But i dont agree, that it was a fluke. Silva WAS holding Sonnen's wrist most of the 4th and 5th round waiting for his opportunity, he might not of seen the right opportunity until he HAD to go for it, because he knew he was running out of time. Go watch it. Its a very Nogeiura thing to do. Just wait and wait so your opponent doesnt know your intention or thinks youve damaged them, then pounce. Nog use to do that stuff all the time back in the day. Plus if you go for the submission constantly it gives away your intentions. Silva wanted to just wait it out and go for it at the right time.

Silva had to of been desperate because he was running out of time, i agree. BUT, i think he was waiting for his opportunity. But i think he knew what he wanted to do throughout the whole fight.

It's never going to be perfect' date=' but I believe that if a fighter wins 4 rounds in such a dominant way, only to get caught by a flukey last ditch sub attempt, the fight should go to the hands of the judges.

Just like takedowns, I believe that submissions should simply add points to that fighters card. Tap = a certain amount of points for example. Think about it as an OVERALL fight. Who would you say won in a street fight, someone who got a 20minute pounding, or the guy who manages to throw his legs up in pain and catch him in a triangle? It doesn't take away the fact that as a whole, the other guy got his *** handed to him on a plate.[/quote']

If there in the street Anderson doesnt let go of the triangle which strangulates Chael to death. So u make no sense, and yes Anderson would win that one. Any tap means you would be completely done (broken arm, leg, shoulder, suffocated, broken necks) i mean cmon on man id rather be knocked out then get my arm broke.

Definitely, I see Vitor winning, and it will go something like this:

Vitor will engage A. Silva in striking, and if Vitor is not able to KO him with a punch, Vitor

will not play the Muay Thai Clinch with the Master of the Muay Thai Clinch, but rather

Vitor will negate Silva's MT clinch by smothering Silva's Clinch and taking Silva down to GNP

or to GNP stun and then submit Silva or Vitor might try to block Silva's knees and dirty box

and uppercut and hook punch Silva to a knock out.

Definitely' date=' I see Vitor winning, and it will go something like this:

Vitor will engage A. Silva in striking, and if Vitor is not able to KO him with a punch, Vitor

will not play the Muay Thai Clinch with the Master of the Muay Thai Clinch, but rather

Vitor will negate Silva's MT clinch by smothering Silva's Clinch and taking Silva down to GNP

or to GNP stun and then submit Silva or Vitor might try to block Silva's knees and dirty box

and uppercut and hook punch Silva to a knock out.[/quote']

I definitely agree with the gameplan here, just not the outcome. Silva will run a clinic on Belfort standing.

Belfort doesn't shoot a single or double, he likes to throw his TD's. He has the power to do it but Silva is wirery and flexible and quick and will probably recover. As this fails once or twice Belfort hasn't the stamina or confidence to maintain the explosiveness that makes him so dangerous and Silva will end the fight.

Belfort wins by flash KO, or flurry with GnP. Thats it. I don't see this as easy because Silva stays on the outside, uses his reach very well and has insane accurate fast punches mixed with body/head quicks and is fast to get the MT clinch. And honestly, at this point your getting hurt and covering up. Anderson is a powerful striker and has the ability to KO you, but usually it comes with multiple strikes, not one. The guys on the other end have no option except to cover up and its game over.

This is a typical very skilled fighter vs. quick heavy-handed opponent. The former tends to win these battles.

Do u want UFC fights to be like Bully Beatdown or something?

And what does a KO do? Points, or fight over?

JJ makes guys quit. If you didn't notice, your man Sonnen doesn't quit until Silva applies the armbar. Do you what happens when an armbar in applied correctly the damage and pain you can cause someone?

Point is, Silva didn't quit, didn't get tko'd all the while Cheal was on top laying bombs with ease. Silva could have killed him in that choke... Its stops the blood entering your brain. You know what that does? I think its safe to say here that submission are very dangerous and powerful if not more then a KO buddy. Exspecially in real life...

And what does a KO do? Points' date=' or fight over?

JJ makes guys quit. If you didn't notice, your man Sonnen doesn't quit until Silva applies the armbar. Do you what happens when an armbar in applied correctly the damage and pain you can cause someone?

Point is, Silva didn't quit, didn't get tko'd all the while Cheal was on top laying bombs with ease. Silva could have killed him in that choke... Its stops the blood entering your brain. You know what that does? I think its safe to say here that submission are very dangerous and powerful if not more then a KO buddy. Exspecially in real life...[/quote']

I see your point. I realise a sub in real life without stoppage could knock someone out and even kill someone if applied long enough. It's just so difficult to judge, as an overall performance Chael Sonnen was the better fighter, it simply can't be denied. I just find it really annoying that such a dominant performance can be declared as a loss when he clearly didn't lose if you go by percentages..

Archived