Do people realy think 12 to 6 elbows are worse than other elbow strikes?

Utap2strikes

The only reason there illegal is because one person on the panel for passing the UFC rules saw a breaking competition where people were breaking bricks with 12 to 6 elbow strikes, so he said they could do too much damage to a person, like breaking there skull. Anyone that knows anything about breaking or striking knows that throwing elbows 12 to 6 you get much less speed, leverage, and strength than from throwing other types of elbow strikes. I do think that fighters that have lost because of them were in the wrong, they knew they were illegal,(people always talk about the Jones fight, when it clearly should have been over long before it came to the elbows), but they should really change the rule it just makes no sense.

there are so many horrid rules in the USA for MMA, thats only one of the crap rules the athletic commission has. I can think of many more. The upkick rule, knees to the head on the ground. List goes on. Theres so many rules that make the fight less entertaining, its ridiculous. People want to know why so many fights are boring for them? You just have to look no further than some of the rules.

there are so many horrid rules in the USA for MMA' date=' thats only one of the crap rules the athletic commission has. I can think of many more. The upkick rule, knees to the head on the ground. List goes on. Theres so many rules that make the fight less entertaining, its ridiculous. People want to know why so many fights are boring for them? You just have to look no further than some of the rules.[/quote']

Knees to the head on the ground are lethal. Just like soccer kicks to the head.

Coming straight down with an elbow like that when your in top position looks like it could kill someone. Those elbows by JBJ had me seriously worried about Hamill. Having all that power delivered with the point of your elbow to an eye could end the UFC's streak of no deaths.

There are many that believe elbows in general should be eliminated. The percentage of fights ended by elbows is very small, but they can create cuts and force doctor stoppages. Plus the casual fan is turned off by all the blood and it hurts the sport.

Knees to the head on the ground are lethal. Just like soccer kicks to the head.

there hasnt been any deaths in Japan in MMA with the knee or elbow to the head rules or anywhere else. Or Pride FC. Look at Mirko's Kicks to the head on Wanderlei Silva. Extremely lethal . No deaths though and Wanderlei is still fighting to this day. look At Gonzaga's kick on Mirko. Lethal as, still fighting. Machida's Knockout over Rashad. They all look pretty lethal to me. All still fighting.

Whats the difference? Between kneeing a guy in the head on the ground and kicking a dude right in the head and knocking his block off?

People always go on about how boring some of the fights are, its sometimes boring because of the rules. Another thing is cage fighting is lethal in general. The more rules there are, the more it doesnt work both ways and favours one fighter over another.

Sometimes these rules are also giving one style of a fighter an advantage over the other.

The only reason there illegal is because one person on the panel for passing the UFC rules saw a breaking competition where people were breaking bricks with 12 to 6 elbow strikes' date=' so he said they could do too much damage to a person, like breaking there skull. Anyone that knows anything about breaking or striking knows that throwing elbows 12 to 6 you get much less speed, leverage, and strength than from throwing other types of elbow strikes. I do think that fighters that have lost because of them were in the wrong, they knew they were illegal,(people always talk about the Jones fight, when it clearly should have been over long before it came to the elbows), but they should really change the rule it just makes no sense.[/quote']

and i agree with you that the fight shouldve been stopped long b4 the elbow strike...+1

The only reason there illegal is because one person on the panel for passing the UFC rules saw a breaking competition where people were breaking bricks with 12 to 6 elbow strikes' date=' so he said they could do too much damage to a person, like breaking there skull. Anyone that knows anything about breaking or striking knows that throwing elbows 12 to 6 you get much less speed, leverage, and strength than from throwing other types of elbow strikes. I do think that fighters that have lost because of them were in the wrong, they knew they were illegal[b'],(people always talk about the Jones fight, when it clearly should have been over long before it came to the elbows[/b]), but they should really change the rule it just makes no sense.

That's on Jones, not Hamill. Props to Hamill for not quitting.

I think it's a decent rule in most cases.

The amount of force you can generate coming down vertically is pretty rediculous.

Might be alot more orbital bone fractures and possibly neck injuries from the guard. Not to mention everyone will get cuts on thier crown easily. Bone on bone cuts easily. It's really easy to cut someone with 12-6 elbows from the guard.

The distance it's thrown makes a big difference too and there head being pinned in place makes it dangerous.

On a Horizontal angle 12-6 is not nearly as bad.

For longevity of the fighters it's a good rule despite what Rogan says.

The only reason there illegal is because one person on the panel for passing the UFC rules saw a breaking competition where people were breaking bricks with 12 to 6 elbow strikes' date=' so he said they could do too much damage to a person, like breaking there skull. Anyone that knows anything about breaking or striking knows that throwing elbows 12 to 6 you get much less speed, leverage, and strength than from throwing other types of elbow strikes. I do think that fighters that have lost because of them were in the wrong, they knew they were illegal,(people always talk about the Jones fight, when it clearly should have been over long before it came to the elbows), but they should really change the rule it just makes no sense.[/quote']

Someone listens to Joe Rogan too much...

1. Look at a human's eye socket.

2. Look at the tip of your elbow.

3. Calculate 2+2=?

If you hit someone with a 6to12 straight in the eye, you will crush it, it will spill out like a crashed egg.

Do you want fighters to lose their eyes?!? Think about it.

Hennell_b.jpg

well thanks to these '''''''lame rules''''''' New York and other states are allowing MMA in their state,otherwise they would not.....and if UFC would have PRIDE rules,i doubt that any US state would allow UFC.....So i think it's pretty obvious why there are these rules like 12 to 6 elbows and soccer kicks etc.

1. Look at a human's eye socket.

2. Look at the tip of your elbow.

3. Calculate 2+2=?

If you hit someone with a 6to12 straight in the eye' date=' you will crush it, it will spill out like a crashed egg.

Do you want fighters to lose their eyes?!? Think about it.

[img']http://www.studio-international.co.uk/studio-images/how_we_are/Hennell_b.jpg[/img]

and this happened where?

I say ban elbow's because they are ****, hardly ever any damage just a cut. Why not use the nails for that? Soccer kicks, stomps and knees galore they end fights on the ground and makes people move. That's what we need. No one has ever gotten hurt from them so far, maybe a little dizzy.

MMA and UFC fights are a form of entertainmen that i love watching ..im a huge fan...but they have to keep the sport somewhat safe...and kicks and knees to a downed fighter, 12-6 elbows and other similar rules are necessary rules to prevent fighters from intentional and serious injuring others. In the heat of the moment an illegal blow can end a life or seriously mame....the rules are not there to take away tools from fighters that help them win....the rules are there to prevent very serious damage to teh recipient.

MMA and UFC fights are a form of entertainmen that i love watching ..im a huge fan...but they have to keep the sport somewhat safe...and kicks and knees to a downed fighter' date=' 12-6 elbows and other similar rules are necessary rules to prevent fighters from intentional and serious injuring others. In the heat of the moment an illegal blow can end a life or seriously mame....the rules are not there to take away tools from fighters that help them win....the rules are there to prevent very serious damage to teh recipient.[/quote']

Nah the rules are there to make wrestlers lay on top of other guys.

true...

anyways.. I see guys breaking bricks with their fists or palm, or just with the side of their hands... what about kicks? So how is it that a 12-6 elbow is specifically forbidden? I don't know..

I mean we're talking about strikes here the point is to hurt the opponent of course it bears a level of danger. And every single fighter who takes part in a pro fighting event is completely aware of that. They're all major and make the responsible choice to compete in these conditions.. This rule is just dumb. I'm all for forbidding stomps and dirty hits but this 12-6 elbows thing is just dumb.

true...

anyways.. I see guys breaking bricks with their fists or palm' date=' or just with the side of their hands... what about kicks? So how is it that a 12-6 elbow is specifically forbidden? I don't know..

I mean we're talking about strikes here the point is to hurt the opponent of course it bears a level of danger. And every single fighter who takes part in a pro fighting event is completely aware of that. They're all major and make the responsible choice to compete in these conditions.. This rule is just dumb. I'm all for forbidding stomps and dirty hits but this 12-6 elbows thing is just dumb.[/quote']

I'm for keeping the rule.

More force on a smaller point also when their head is hit it has no where to go. The force isn't distributed by the neck going back. Like punch someone in the face standing, then take their face and place it against the wall then punch it. See which one works better

12-6 elbow is obviously extremely dangerous.

If you're 12-6ing someone, they are prob on their back, and driving the POINT of your elbow straight down into an eye socket is extremely dangerous. I'd prob rather take a kick in the head over a 12-6er to the eye socket or bridge of the nose.

A kick is obviously more powerful but the force is distributed more, ie you would get KOd but the foot won't go straight through your skull like the sharp point of an elbow might.

And to the ****es saying all this stuff should be allowed, this is a sanctioned sport. If you want to watch ****es beating crap out of each other mindlessly, go watch something else. You think prodding someones eye should be allowed? Or bending back their fingers? No, there's a line that has to be drawn with the sport.

I think leave the rules as it is, all these soccer kicks, knees to the head of a grounded opponent are pretty barbaric and Zuffa want to market MMA/UFC as a sport not a no holds barred gladitorial street fight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no John McCain and I love those bloody KO's and headkicks that you can hear from a mile away.

12-6 elbow is obviously extremely dangerous.

If you're 12-6ing someone, they are prob on their back, and driving the POINT of your elbow straight down into an eye socket is extremely dangerous. I'd prob rather take a kick in the head over a 12-6er to the eye socket or bridge of the nose.

A kick is obviously more powerful but the force is distributed more, ie you would get KOd but the foot won't go straight through your skull like the sharp point of an elbow might.

And to the ****es saying all this stuff should be allowed, this is a sanctioned sport. If you want to watch ****es beating crap out of each other mindlessly, go watch something else. You think prodding someones eye should be allowed? Or bending back their fingers? No, there's a line that has to be drawn with the sport.

THANK YOU...FINALLY SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN IN THERE HEAD...I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF...!!!

A+++

Archived