This raises a good sports question.

Rhadamanthus

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/108-3-girls-basketball-rout-raises-questions?urn=highschool-311327

My personal belief is that if you're better than your opponent you show it, if it means blowing them out 108-3 or knocking them out in 30 seconds you prove your dominance to put everyone else on notice. It raises the fear factor and everyone knows you play worse when you have doubts. While it may be considered unsportsmanlike by some people, I feel that it is still justified when these lower schools schedule bigger schools because they should already know the outcome and have no reason to complain about it later.

my feelings are that if you are ahead by alot, you shoud let up, just imagine being in there shoes what would you want. It's no fun getting spanked 100-0. and in combat sports, i could care less if you decide to bum rush me and swing like garcia at me, but i do see that unsportsmanlike, your underestimating my striking abilities, thats okay, i'll back up and knock you senseless.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/108-3-girls-basketball-rout-raises-questions?urn=highschool-311327

My personal belief is that if you're better than your opponent you show it' date=' if it means blowing them out 108-3 or knocking them out in 30 seconds you prove your dominance to put everyone else on notice. It raises the fear factor and everyone knows you play worse when you have doubts. While it may be considered unsportsmanlike by some people, I feel that it is still justified when these lower schools schedule bigger schools because they should already know the outcome and have no reason to complain about it later.[/quote']

I haven't read the article yet, but I disagree about the 30 sec KO thing.

I believe that if you win a dominant decision you have proven yourself to be the better fighter.

With the KO, there are still questions as to whether or not your opponent would have beat you later on.

No, you play your best. It's one thing if it's a high contact sport like gridiron football or hockey, if you're winning quite handedly I would take my starters out because I don't want to risk an injury. However, provided it's not a particularly physically damaging game, I agree with the coach it would be disrespectful to send lesser players out there to treat their competition as a practice squad and run passing drills.

Archived