"Silva better boxer than GSP" - Freddie Roach

godinski

This is what he said in latest interview with Joe Rogan you could find it on ufc.com now.

He train them both it?s very obvious that he has more passion on GSP' date=' but he clearly say that Silva is better technician than GSP.[/quote']

I found it funny he said that even though he is training with GSP right now and silva was years ago. If he was an outsider of both of them he would probably say silva is significantly better. He has an obvious bias for GSP.

I found it funny he said that even though he is training with GSP right now and silva was years ago. If he was an outsider of both of them he would probably say silva is significantly better. He has an obvious bias for GSP.

I really hate trying to predict the future, but I see GSP's focus on boxing possibly being his downfall in the match. Freddie Roach even went out and said he ONLY focuses on the boxing and went on to talk about punches countering one another. I think this training may be detrimental to GSP because it'll give him a false sense of security when taking into consideration that Silva uses his feet/knees/elbows just as often as either hand.

Yes Silva is a beter stand up fighter then GSP but The Rush is more complete then Silva .

Pls explain because it?s not possible what you are saying.

There is stand up fight and grappling and if you say that Silva is better at stand up, how can you say that GSP is more complete fighter.

Just for the record I?m fan of both of them and I don?t want that super fight to happened.

GSP got a realy good stand up skill .

GSP is awesome in westling .

GSP is awesome in BJJ .

Anderson Silva is awesome in stand up .

Anderson Silva got poor skill in Westling he got expose in is fight with Sonnen and more .

Anderrson Silva is awesome in BJJ.

Result GSP is more complete cause he dont have any hole in is game , when everyone know anderson got poor skill in Westling .

GSP is awesome in BJJ .

Anderson Silva got poor skill in Westling he got expose in is fight with Sonnen and more .

Result GSP is more complete cause he dont have any hole in is game ' date=' when everyone know anderson got poor skill in Westling .[/quote']

i'd pick gsp against anderson because i think he would lay on him and not get subed. the only way he wins is if he lays on anderson. ok so plz STFU saying hes the better fighter. no hes a better wrestler with good enough sub defense.

GSP is awesome in BJJ .

Result GSP is more complete cause he dont have any hole in is game ' date=' when everyone know anderson got poor skill in Westling .[/quote']

You think after a few years of typing english on this site you would have learned something.

Striking advantage - Silva, I'm pretty sure everyone agree's with this

Wrestling advantage - GSP, also obvious

BJJ advantage - i would say Silva. GSP doesn't pose a big submission threat, where as Silva does and has submitted fighters with good sub defence, and the BJJ god that is Chael Sonnen ;).

Vitor was a better boxer than Silva, look how far that got him;)

Striking: Silva but not by a huge margin

Wrestling: Without question GSP

BJJ: Very close prob edge goes to Silva but could go to Goerge via sub defense

Result: 50/50 that either fighter takes this match

GSP is awesome in BJJ .

lets put it this way

standing ---silva > gsp

bjj------ silva > bjj

wrestling gsp > silva

Thats 2-1 for silva

Sonnen controlled silva on the ground , but lets no forget silva had a rib injury which even dana white confirmed not too long ago. Even so , sonnen is a much bigger stronger wrestler than gsp.

GSP could win the fight , but I still think silva is a more complete fighter than gsp , because he can submit you on the ground and ko standing

While gsp hasnt submit many people lately , never faced anyone as big as silva and his standing is not up to the level of silva

the last time gsp submitted someone was in 2005.

The only way gsp can win this fight is by laying on silva for 5 rounds and it may happened.But silva can win this by ko , submission , tko .

This is what he said in latest interview with Joe Rogan you could find it on ufc.com now.

He train them both it’s very obvious that he has more passion on GSP' date=' but he clearly say that Silva is better technician than GSP.[/quote']

This is not surprising. Silva has an outstanding striking. I believe no one will challenge Freddie's assessment.

Yes Silva is a beter stand up fighter then GSP but The Rush is more complete then Silva .

Yep

Vitor was a better boxer than Silva' date=' look how far that got him;)

Striking: Silva but not by a huge margin

Wrestling: Without question GSP

BJJ: Very close prob edge goes to Silva but could go to Goerge via sub defense

Result: 50/50 that either fighter takes this match[/quote']

Agreed

Have we ever seen GSP fight with a bigger guy?? How good can he fight on his back?? Well see the answer if he got the balls to go up in MW.

1. GSP did not have to fight much of his back because GSP was on 99% the fighter to put his opponent on his back. Probably best TD in MMA.

2. Balls to go up in MW? Does Silva have the balls to drop to WW? MW is Silva's playground, his comfort zone. Who's balls are in question?...

This is not surprising. Silva has an outstanding striking. I believe no one will challenge Freddie's assessment.

Yep

Agreed

1. GSP did not have to fight much of his back because GSP was on 99% the fighter to put his opponent on his back. Probably best TD in MMA.

2. Balls to go up in MW? Does Silva have the balls to drop to WW? MW is Silva's playground' date=' his comfort zone. Who's balls are in question?...[/quote']

silva beat the former UFC LHW champ and humiliate the guy and fought at LHW twice. And Its like asking GSP to drop down to LW LOL.

silva beat the former UFC LHW champ and humiliate the guy and fought at LHW twice. And Its like asking GSP to drop down to LW LOL.

Alls I'm sayin' is it's a two way street.

You jump at GSP "Why don't you go up to MW?" well guess what - in order to be at the same weight class one could move up, or the other could move down. OR they can both meet in between.

And I advise you to just sit tight, cause GSP will move up. It might not be tomorrow, cause he doesn't plan his schedule based internet forum member's calendars, but it will happen.

I think that most of you on this forum are being stupid. 1. Georges in my opinion is a lot more educated in fighting than Anderson, sure you can argue the point that Anderson has cleared out a division and cleared out better fighters like Mardquardt, Griffen, Irvin, Sonnen(very close), an older Belfort, Leben (who really isn't even that good of a fighter), Mia (completely wrong skillset to face him), and a random assortment of people from Pride. Goerges has fought way better people as far as PFP goes. Josh Koschek(the past Koschek and the now Koschek which does make a world of difference, Matt Serra in his Prime, a Matt Hughes in his Prime, BJ Penn in his Prime (im not even a fan of BJ), the amazing Jon Fitch who gets better with every fight, Thiago Alves, and Dan Hardy (not even that good of a fighter if you ask me). 2.Theyre skill sets are so different, GSP's whole standup is completely underated, just because you can't finish a guy means it's bad! In my opinion it take more skill to stand with a guy 5 rounds than it does to take him out with a KO in the first, theyre ground games are extremely different GSP being more of a Submission Wrestler rather than a Submissionist, and theyre cardio? Well lets just say ive seen Anderson gas 6 times and I've seen GSP ... 0

The most important thing when attacking from the back with BJJ is size, as long as your limbs are longer then your oponent you have a significant advantage when it comes to slapping on quick subs and leveraging power to them. The size difference is not as insane as when Werdum cought Fedor and pretty much kept him airborn with his long legs but it is significant, on the ground would be a good place to be for Silva. Silvas rib cracked in round one against Sonnen so he was left with pretty much his legs for BJJ, it would be interesting to see him use the whole package and not just groin and legs. I give a major advantage to Silva in BJJ.

I just can't see where a good place for GSP would be? But GSP has nothing to lose in the fight, Silva has.

I would like GSP to win but I really don't see any possibility. I gave Vitor 10% due to power

I?ll give GSP 3%.

I think that most of you on this forum are being stupid. 1. Georges in my opinion is a lot more educated in fighting than Anderson, sure you can argue the point that Anderson has cleared out a division and cleared out better fighters like Mardquardt, Griffen, Irvin, Sonnen(very close), an older Belfort, Leben (who really isn't even that good of a fighter), Mia (completely wrong skillset to face him), and a random assortment of people from Pride. Goerges has fought way better people as far as PFP goes. Josh Koschek(the past Koschek and the now Koschek which does make a world of difference, Matt Serra in his Prime, a Matt Hughes in his Prime, BJ Penn in his Prime (im not even a fan of BJ), the amazing Jon Fitch who gets better with every fight, Thiago Alves, and Dan Hardy (not even that good of a fighter if you ask me). 2.Theyre skill sets are so different, GSP's whole standup is completely underated, just because you can't finish a guy means it's bad! In my opinion it take more skill to stand with a guy 5 rounds than it does to take him out with a KO in the first, theyre ground games are extremely different GSP being more of a Submission Wrestler rather than a Submissionist, and theyre cardio? Well lets just say ive seen Anderson gas 6 times and I've seen GSP ... 0

Thank you well said.... this guy makes sense... There both sick fighters and you never know what could happen.... so all the idiots making reference to GSP laying on Silva, learn something about fighting you dumb ****s, then come talk....

Sean Pimp Daddy Pierson is my hommie

I like how people are basing these fighters already on 3 things, wrestling, bjj, and striking. And saying one is better in 2 things than the other therefore they will win is absolute BS.

GSP is a smarter fighter and he's more rounded imo. Getting outwreslted for 4.5 rounds and pounded on to just about scrape a submission win is not really that great of a skill. Demian Maia has good BJJ. Getting pwned then managing to clutch for a triangle when your opponent already thinks he's won is not the same.

I've never seen GSP is any form of trouble really, apart from his losses obviously. He's too smart and disciplined to walk into a triangle (like Sonnen did) or to swing wildly at Silva and get owned (ie Griffin).

Ty.

He train them both it?s very obvious that he has more passion on GSP' date=' but he clearly say that Silva is better technician than GSP.[/quote']

did you really need Roache's comments to notice that? Everyone knows Silva is a better boxer than GSP its obvious. No1 ever said GSP could hang with Silva on the feet.

Got to disagree with you on that one though ;)

Shogun has a great chin, so if he gets in trouble in the stand-up he will take Silva down and Gnp him out just like he did to overeem, there is no way that anyone of these two gets submitted imo however shoguns BJJ seems more impressive overall due to his sweeps.

and in stand-up its very close. Silva has better technique while Shogun has more power. Same scenario with machida but power and agression prevailed that time. i see it happening again with this matchup.

in gsp last fight it looked like gsp had elite boxing skills

in gsp last fight it looked like gsp had elite boxing skills

Kos isn't exactly a high level striker.

He has a telegraphed right hand and a headkick which is so powerful it knocks himself down :D

GSP has great striking, he uses good angles, speed and distance very well, but Gsp likes to set a range using jabs and leg kicks. Silva would be the first fighter with a reach advantage against GSP, which would make his striking less effective and the fact that he would be worrying about the counter wouldn't help him to have much confidence to throw.

Silva always throws head kicks, spinning kicks and wild strikes even when he knows his opponent is going to take him down, so i do not see any diference in this fight in his striking.

This fight all comes down to how Silva reacts to the TD of gsp. Unless GSP is KOed before he shoots in, there is a high possibility, probably 99% lol, that he will get Silva down. Silva poped back up to his feet and fired off a knee when Belfort took him down, if he can do that to GSP a few times i think he will have the mental edge. lets not hope for a Sonnen performance again though.

lets not hope for a Sonnen performance again though.

Didn't you hear? He did that on purpose, HAHAH.

True though. If GSP can take him down early and keep him there, I see a GSP UD.

Silva may surprise me by constantly stuffing GSP TDs, that's when the fight would get really interesting. I'd still favour GSP to win though simply because he fights super safe (ie he will be very wary of Silva's striking + his sub attempts), and is a very skilled wrestler/ TD artist.

Pls explain because it?s not possible what you are saying.

There is stand up fight and grappling and if you say that Silva is better at stand up' date=' how can you say that GSP is more complete fighter.

Just for the record I?m fan of both of them and I don?t want that super fight to happened.[/quote']

gsp hasnt lost a round since august 25th, 2007

silva won 0 rounds of the chael sonnen fight

GSP is awesome in BJJ .

I'm sorry but you can't have "awesome" BJJ and be "poor" at wrestling at the same time. It's completely illogical.

Come on dellusional fanboys?!

GSP might be the better wrestler but, he will now be wrestling a guy that should technically be fighting at 205! He couldn't keep Koscheck down for more than thirty seconds! And you guys think he will just lay on Andy for five rounds?

I really didn't want this fight cause I like GSP and I think it will be a bad move but now I actually want to see it cause it might shut up all the fanboys.

Please pull your head out of your asses!

By the way I'm a huge GSP fan! Just not a delusional nut hugger.

I had Sonnen 4 rounds Silva 0' date=' what about you?

I'm glad Silva got lucky with a sub though to keep your fanboy fantasis alive. :)[/quote']

LMAO, fanboy?

Hahaha, get real dude.

Yeah, of course I had Chael 4-0 going into the 5th. Whoever didn't is gay and retarded.

I am just sick of idiots like yourself trying to keep talking s#it on Silva despite the fact that he STILL has the belt, and is 13-0 in the UFC. The guy is incredible and has won under any and all circumstances you can think of.

It's ****guts like you that have a problem, not me.

Lemme guess. If Silva laid on top of someone for 5 rounds, he would all of the sudden be considered more dominant?

Wel, to me, a 1st round KO seems to be the best way to finish a fight and nobody has a better record of that than Silva.

Winning four rounds very, very decisively is more impressive than getting one sub.

Yet people like you show Sonnen no respect where respect is due. You'd rather act like Silva is untouchable when he clearly isn't.

How untouchable did you think he was when Sonnen rock him on the feet and shoved him on his ***? Lol.

Winning four rounds very' date=' very decisively is more impressive than getting one sub.

Yet people like you show Sonnen no respect where respect is due. You'd rather act like Silva is untouchable when he clearly isn't.

How untouchable did you think he was when Sonnen rock him on the feet and shoved him on his ***? Lol.[/quote']

You're talking out of your a$$ buddy.

Where have I not given Sonnen credit? He did an awesome job against Anderson. That still doesn't mean he didn't tap like a *****.

Silva isn't untouchable. He's lost 4 times in his career, and lost a round against Henderson, 4 against Sonnen, and 1 against Maia. He can be beat.

You are the one who thinks that because I like Silva, that I think he is God, not me.

Pull your head out of your a$$ dude, you're embarassing yourself.

And, no you're wrong, finishing a fight is more impressive than NOT finishing a fight. If you think otherwise then you are retarded.

If you managed to sub someone who just beat you up' date=' guess what, you still got beat up.[/quote']

I can't say I disagree with that. Anderson still won the fight though ;)

Chael looked more "beat up" than Anderson after the fight, btw. Pillow Fist Sonnen hit him like 300 times and didn't even draw blood. Sonnen was bleeding and Anderson only hit him a handful of times.

I'm sorry but you can't have "awesome" BJJ and be "poor" at wrestling at the same time. It's completely illogical.

It's completely logical. Is Demian Maia's wrestling good? No, it's rather poor, yet his BJJ is arguably one of the best in the sport.

Silva's wrestling is rather poor, but he makes up for it with his superior BJJ and striking.

Archived