John 'Bones' Jones vs Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua

Spider_FTW

Too early to tell right now really. We don't know how good or bad Shogun's knees will ever be and whether or not he will ever return to form, and Bones has a few more fights at the top level to see if he is the real deal that most believe him to be.

If the fight was signed today, based just on what we know today, I'd pick Shogun, but if Jones continues on his streak of freakish dominance my vote would be easily swayed.

Shogun would. Jones may have flashy striking, but Mauricio has incredibly effective and vicious KO's of some really well respected guys. Not saying it would be a breeze for shogun, but IMO he deffinatly has a striking edge, and he is no slouch on the ground. I think that bones would hang with him, but shogun would get a Desicion.

As of right now' date=' my vote goes to Shogun. I think Rua would demolish Jones in the striking department or sweep Jones if he gets taken down.

Jones needs more fights against some of the LHW division's top dogs before I start calling him the next LHW champ.[/quote']

Fair point but i think Bones is already at a higher level than you give him credit for. I will look a fool now if Bader tools him lol

Fair point but i think Bones is already at a higher level than you give him credit for. I will look a fool now if Bader tools him lol

Don't get me wrong, I think Bones is a great fighter has a lot of potential, I just think that his inexperience and wild style wouldn't be good against Rua's aggressive and technical way of fighting.

If they ever did fight, however, I would definitely be rooting for Bones 100%.

It is not in the rules that you have to 'plant your feet and fight in the pocket' Bones does things his own way and seems to be doing just fine if you ask me.

but he has no fundamentals with his striking. he com[ares himself to anderson silva brcause he is unpredictable but anderson is really good fundamentaly. but u got a point cause his athleticism alone could be enough.

but he has no fundamentals with his striking. he com[ares himself to anderson silva brcause he is unpredictable but anderson is really good fundamentaly. but u got a point cause his athleticism alone could be enough.

correction not that he has no fundamentals its just that he hasnt shown it.

jonny bones doesnt have the ability to plant his feet and fight right in the the pocket like shogun and shogun has been tossed around before and come beack to knock guys out. but it is a toss up.

this.

Shogun was getting RAG DOLLED by Overeem.....about a minute later.... Shogun KNOCKED HTFO!!!!

Shogun just has that incredible will to win. It can't be taught or learned

But Bones does worry me with his GIGANTIC SIZE and Judo/Greco? trip throws

Bones could take him down at will, but Bones has not shown that he can keep a great BJJ fighter down.

Shogun would most likely sweep Jones to stand up where he has a huge advantage and i think could get the TKO.

In a few years i think Jones could be able to take out Shogun, but at the moment i would have to go with Rua.

this.

Shogun was getting RAG DOLLED by Overeem.....about a minute later.... Shogun KNOCKED HTFO!!!!

Shogun just has that incredible will to win. It can't be taught or learned

But Bones does worry me with his GIGANTIC SIZE and Judo/Greco? trip throws

They would be judo or catch wrestling based. Trips or any grabbing of the legs is illegal in Greco.

Bones would have to be patient and literally mistake free in the top position

Posting up for elbows ect could give Shogun the split seconds he needs.

Shogun has shown to be really great at capitalizing off the slightest of openings.

Like Anderson Silva the game appears to be in slow motion for these killers(Rua&A.Silva)

The second time Machida took Shogun down. Machida started throwing elbows and Shogun swept Machida even faster then the first time.

Bones is super young and Shogun is still really young too.

Both can improve IMO and more mature

So who knows what happens

They would be judo or catch wrestling based. Trips or any grabbing of the legs is illegal in Greco.

Thank you. I wasn't really sure.

Those trip throws scare me though and Bones is a gigantic LHW. This dude should really be at HW.

Shogun is awesome in the clinch, but that's where Bones trips and flips opponents.

The clinch is where i would really be worried for Shogun

Archived