Don King: Boxing Could Learn a Lot from the UFC

The_Power

from mmafighting.com

The UFC overtaking boxing as the No. 1 pay-per-view draw in sports over the last few years has led to a number of boxing promoters taking shots at the UFC. But the most famous promoter in boxing thinks thinks it's time to learn from the UFC.

In a live chat with FanHouse readers, Don King said that UFC has been smart about putting good fights on basic cable to attract fans who will become pay-per-view customers while boxing has declined on basic cable and completely disappeared from over-the-air television.

"Unfortunately the television networks are not broadcasting the fighters and that has been a major disappointment," King said. "Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta have done a great job with the UFC and people like what they do."

King also said the UFC has developed a fan base of people who feel like they're a part of if it, while too many boxing fans have become turned off by the perception that the best fights just won't get made.

"I think the UFC has done magnificent because they bring people together," King said. "That's what I am really very appreciative of. I think they can complement boxing. I have no problem with them. The more the merrier."

King also said he doesn't think there's any reason not to enjoy both boxing and mixed martial arts, and he said he disagrees with those who think the growth of the UFC is a threat to the future of boxing.

"Both sports go together -- no reason not to be a fan of both sports," King said. Bringing people together is what it's all about. I'm a promoter of the people, for the people and by the people. Boxing will be here yesterday today and tomorrow."

I enjoy watching all types of fighting. But i find it hard to follow boxing. Too many titles and way to many promotions. So i mainly just watch Manny fight. Otherwise it is way to hard to keep track of fighters.

MMA is rather easy. UFC, Strikeforce, Cage Warriors is really simple. All their fighters are contracted by the promotion and hold fights regularly whether PPV or free TV.

I enjoy watching all types of fighting. But i find it hard to follow boxing. Too many titles and way to many promotions. So i mainly just watch Manny fight. Otherwise it is way to hard to keep track of fighters.

MMA is rather easy. UFC' date=' Strikeforce, Cage Warriors is really simple. All their fighters are contracted by the promotion and hold fights regularly whether PPV or free TV.[/quote']

Even today I still don't understand how the titles work in boxing everytime I see Manny fight his entourage is holding like 3 or 4.

Even today I still don't understand how the titles work in boxing everytime I see Manny fight his entourage is holding like 3 or 4.

the main ones are the WBC,WBA,WBO, The Ring and IBF i believe, I could be wrong though, I personally consider the WBC the best title in each division though.

To be honest though titles don't hold much merit in boxing anymore, Shane Mosley can hold any title he wants, everyone still knows Paq-man and PBF are the two best fighters in the division.

In 20 years time boxing will be what wrestling' date=' karate, judo etc. are today - a martial art people watch only during the Olympics.[/quote']

lol highly doubt it

the sports you listed have never had the money that is involved in professional boxing.

As long as there is gambling Boxing will always have a bigtime ppv buyrate

the sports you listed have never had the money that is involved in professional boxing.

Sports who nobody watches don't have money. And people watch boxing less and less.

As long as there is gambling Boxing will always have a bigtime ppv buyrate
That's a good point. But gambling won't be anough.

Sports who nobody watches don't have money. And people watch boxing less and less.

That's a good point. But gambling won't be anough.

Hate to burst your bubble here but Boxing still is a huge ppv sport and look at this way where are most of these events held ?

Vegas

as long as theres a Vegas there will always be gambling and as long as theres gambling there will always be boxing and with the invent of online gambling sports like boxing will fourish.

IBF

WBO

WBA

WBC

are the 4 big Boxing organizations

However there is like another 6 -7 out there but do not have the same prestige as these 4 the closet one would be the IBO

Actually boxing is promoted by various promotions (see: Golden Boy Promotions, Don King Productions) and the organizations you just talked about are governing bodies. Think of it like this, UFC would put on the show, and WAMMA would supply universal rankings and decide who was worthy of title shots and when. It's a bit different in boxing than MMA. MMA actually follows the format of pro wrestling more in that the promotion has their own champions, and they alone decide who fights for what and when.

And by the way, this is one of the few times in history I've not been disgusted by the words of Don King...he is unquestionably one of the most disgusting men in sports history.

Archived