"Roger Gracie Kicked My ***"

CaptainSuperman

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/297737/GSP-Roger-Gracie-kicked-my-***-pretty-bad/

UFC welterweight champion Georges Saint-Pierre has already been to London twice to train with Roger Gracie' date=' who is getting ready for his fourth MMA bout this coming weekend.

As reported by Jack Encarna??o on Sherdog.com, GSP (21w, 2l) was stopping through London in 2010 when he figured he would stop by Roger?s academy to test himself.

?I got my *** kicked pretty bad,? he said, deciding to stay on awhile an train some with Roger for his last fight, his second unanimous decision win over Josh Koscheck.

In 2011, the Canadian returned to help Roger (3w, 0l) train for his Strikeforce fight against Trevor Prangley.

?Roger is really good at taking the fight where he wants it ? to the ground. He?s much better than people think. He?s not just a Jiu-Jitsu guy. Roger is a true MMA fighter,? said GSP in praise.

Besides wrestling with GSP in London, Roger also sharpened up his boxing skills with local trainer Clay O?Shea and got pointers from undefeated veteran Joe Calzaghe.

Roger and GSP?s training session will feature in a forthcoming issue of GRACIEMAG. Not a subscriber yet? Then become one, by clicking here.[/Quote']

So it looks that GSP got his **** whooped in a spar with a Gracie (highly noted for this Jiu Jitsu). Should he be worried about the ground game with Cesar Gracie fighter Jake Shields? Everyone seems to be focused on the wrestling of Shields, but I think it's more the BJJ that GSP should be worried about. Yeah GSP has a black belt as well, but under who? Bruno Fernandez? No disrespect, but never heard of the guy. Plus, what BJJ has GSP really showed off, minus submission attempts and wins, which anyone can do a submission.

LMAO.

Look it up.

It was a system created by Greg Jackson

Rashad Evans also has a "black belt" in "Gaidojitsu". Plus many more in Jackson's camp' date=' I'm sure[/quote']

Yeah I know I was only kidding. I personally think Gaidojutsu is a whack "art" all it is is wrestling. Blame the Mcdojos

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/297737/GSP-Roger-Gracie-kicked-my-***-pretty-bad/

So it looks that GSP got his **** whooped in a spar with a Gracie (highly noted for this Jiu Jitsu). Should he be worried about the ground game with Cesar Gracie fighter Jake Shields? Everyone seems to be focused on the wrestling of Shields' date=' but I think it's more the BJJ that GSP should be worried about. Yeah GSP has a black belt as well, but under who? [b']Bruno Fernandez[/b]? No disrespect, but never heard of the guy. Plus, what BJJ has GSP really showed off, minus submission attempts and wins, which anyone can do a submission.

Woah...are you kidding me? You must not do jiu jitsu. Both he and my instructor Helio Moreira trained under Carlos Gracie Jr.aka the founder of Gracie Barra...that ring any bells?

It doesn't surprise me one bit that Roger Gracie owned GSP in grappling. Gracie is a decorated submission artist with tons of tournament wins. GSP, while a blackbelt in ju-jitsu, is nowhere near Gracie's level, not to mention that Gracie is 6'4" and 222lbs (he cuts to 205, obviously).

Still, GSP is the superior mixed martial artist. Gracie said himself in a recent Meltzer column:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AsN7k5s_1JKmqY8x4CVdvZ49Eo14?slug=dm-gracie012611

Though some who see all Gracie’s submission wins and world championships in jiu-jitsu as a sign he’ll walk the opposition in mixed martial arts, Gracie notes they are two very different sports.

“Punching changes the game completely,” said Gracie. “70-80 percent of what I do in submission competition I couldn’t do in an MMA fight. The moves will expose you to getting hit. So you have to limit your moves to the ones you can do safely where you don’t get hit.”

Gracie's wiki entry is pretty informative, especially looking at all the grappling things he's won.

Okay, well think about this

What if he ends up beating Shields, and does go on to the 185 pound division and staying there. It's likely he will be the smaller fighter in 80% of his fights. Just a thought.

And yeah, sorry, Bruno Fernandez doesn't ring a bell. You're right, I don't train BJJ, but I do know a lot of names, but not saying I'm an expert or anything.

Okay' date=' well think about this

What if he ends up beating Shields, and does go on to the 185 pound division and staying there. It's likely he will be the smaller fighter in 80% of his fights. Just a thought.

And yeah, sorry, Bruno Fernandez doesn't ring a bell. You're right, I don't train BJJ, but I do know a lot of names, but not saying I'm an expert or anything.[/quote']

Don't sweat it lol. Ive never personally met him, but a black belt under Carlos Gracie Jr is one of the, if not the most prestigious black belt in all of bjj.

I want to see Roger face Xande Ribeiro in an MMA match.............he up 5-3 in straight grappling, but I'd love to see them square off in MMA.

FYI here's a list of guys Roger has submitted in grappling competitions:

Xande Ribeiro

Rob Drysdale

Rodrigo Medeiros

Fabricio Werdum

Jacare

Demian Maia

Marcelo Garcia

Shinya Aoki

Mario Sperry

That's a big list of who's who in BJJ in the last 10 years.............

I want to see Roger face Xande Ribeiro in an MMA match.............he up 5-3 in straight grappling' date=' but I'd love to see them square off in MMA.

Xande Ribeiro

Rob Drysdale

Rodrigo Medeiros

Fabricio Werdum

Jacare

Demian Maia

Marcelo Garcia

Shinya Aoki

Mario Sperry

That's a big list of who's who in BJJ in the last 10 years.............[/quote']

What makes it more impressive is that he hasn't been submitted in competition yet.

I want to see Roger face Xande Ribeiro in an MMA match.............he up 5-3 in straight grappling' date=' but I'd love to see them square off in MMA.

Xande Ribeiro

Rob Drysdale

Rodrigo Medeiros

Fabricio Werdum

Jacare

Demian Maia

Marcelo Garcia

Shinya Aoki

Mario Sperry

That's a big list of who's who in BJJ in the last 10 years.............[/quote']

Incredibly impressive. Mind you though he's bigger than most of those guys, especially Marcelo. He's not over 155 pounds I bet. Not trying to take anything away from Roger, because he's a god on the mat both in gi and no-gi, but im just saying.

Incredibly impressive. Mind you though he's bigger than most of those guys' date=' especially Marcelo. He's not over 155 pounds I bet. Not trying to take anything away from Roger, because he's a god on the mat both in gi and no-gi, but im just saying.[/quote']

Yeah Roger is a big dude for sure. Although Souza beat him twice...........Jacare is a stud.

Archived