Is ANYONE the best at 205?

BrocksBigBro

They've all more or less fought each other but nobody seems to have emerged as being capable of beating all the others:

Machida destroyed Thiago and Rashad but lost (twice?) to shogun. He lost to Rampage but many people including Rampage thought he won that.

Rashad has only lost to Machida but he looked vulnerable against Rampage and he wasn't great against an injured and unfit Thiago.

Rampage has lost to Forrest and Rashad but only by decision. The Machida fight he felt he lost and his two fights against Shogun were too long ago to be relevant. He is vulnerable to leg kicks though, so will always be vulnarable to fighters like Forrest and Shogun.

Thiago lost badly to Machida and was unjured against Rashad but still wasn't exactly bettered significantly. He's looking as mean as ever in recent fights.

Shogun lost to Forrest and only beat Chuck when he was past his best. Perhaps undeserving of a shot, he was awesome against Machida though but was that because his style was the perfect foil for Machida?

Forrest has beaten Shogun and Rampage but got knocked out by Rashad and looked useless against Anderson.

These aren't the only names in the frame too: Bones Jones must be considered a contender if (when?) he destroys Bader.

I have no idea who's best so I reckon Dana should have a "Grand Prix" at LHW like Strikeforce. I think the eighth fighter should be Anderson. What's your views?

Technically no' date=' but you can make a damn good educated guess on it based on their other performances.[/quote']

Same was said bout Fedor/Werdum

And plenty of other fights

No, no one is truly the best

But that's just how it goes in the LHW division, having so many great guys. When you got so many top guys to the point where your top 10 are all interchangeable, and when these guys are always facing each other and chopping each other down, it's hard to establish a concrete #1. No top 10 fighter these days can keep a solid streak alive for more than 2-3 fights, cause they all lose to each other. Jones could make a serious case if he keeps up his winning ways, showing he can beat all styles, hungry bottom of the ladder type guys, and even the top guys.

Shogun is still shrouded in mystery to me. He faced opponents who he 'should have beat' and either didn't, or he did, but not in top fashion. Then theres the gimmie match with Liddell. He's had 2 solid performances worth mentioning, with one of those being a loss. If he defends his belt 2-3 times, I'll say he's the concrete best at 205.

But until then, right now, no one is

But champ has not defended yet' date=' and got his title shot after losing in a previous title bout.

Plus, think about what you said, then let me say this...Anderson Silva.

Also...

Brock Lesnar.[/quote']

Ok, well don't lose sleep over this.... Michael Schumacher

You just can't think Forrest is better than Shogun based on that fight. I mean haters will hate' date=' but if the two were matched up again we know the result would be different.[/quote']

That's what they all said about Frankie Edgar. What happened the second time they met?

atm' date=' the champ is the best... Not too long now

And then we will know forsure...[/quote']

So if Rashad win's he will be the best, since he is champ? Or will Shogun still be the best, going back on what you just said that champ is champ for a reason?

No one is a concrete # 1 in LHW, especially when Shogun could lost to someone all the way at # 10, cause that's how deep the division is.

Same was said bout Fedor/Werdum

And plenty of other fights

No' date=' no one is truly the best

But that's just how it goes in the LHW division, having so many great guys. When you got so many top guys to the point where your top 10 are all interchangeable, and when these guys are always facing each other and chopping each other down, it's hard to establish a concrete #1. No top 10 fighter these days can keep a solid streak alive for more than 2-3 fights, cause they all lose to each other. Jones could make a serious case if he keeps up his winning ways, showing he can beat all styles, hungry bottom of the ladder type guys, and even the top guys.

Shogun is still shrouded in mystery to me. He faced opponents who he 'should have beat' and either didn't, or he did, but not in top fashion. Then theres the gimmie match with Liddell. He's had 2 solid performances worth mentioning, with one of those being a loss. If he defends his belt 2-3 times, I'll say he's the concrete best at 205.

But until then, right now, no one is[/quote']

I agree with everything you said, but the one thing I disagree with wholeheartedly : the notion that Shogun was fed Liddell. If anything, it was the other way around. Pride was bought out with Shogun appearing in prime form, then he gets subbed by Forrest, not only popping the bubble of invulnerability, but now questions about him being washed up and having terrible cardio. After that, he barely beats a beyond washed-up Mark Coleman, with the last round terrible to watch a man in his late 20s having as much exhaustion as a man nearing 50. After that terrible performance, Dana met Shogun in the back and asked him if he wanted to fight Chuck, UFC's golden boy dying to make a comeback win over a big Pride name who appears that his best days were behind him. There's a funny youtube video about it. Dana ALWAYS tried giving Chuck gimme fights at the end of his career, and when he eventually could no longer hang, was when Dana finally backed away from constantly trying to revive Liddell's fame and instead tried to call for his retirement.

I agree with everything you said' date=' but the one thing I disagree with wholeheartedly : the notion that Shogun was fed Liddell. If anything, it was the other way around. Pride was bought out with Shogun appearing in prime form, then he gets subbed by Forrest, not only popping the bubble of invulnerability, but now questions about him being washed up and having terrible cardio. After that, he barely beats a beyond washed-up Mark Coleman, with the last round terrible to watch a man in his late 20s having as much exhaustion as a man nearing 50. After that terrible performance, Dana met Shogun in the back and asked him if he wanted to fight Chuck, UFC's golden boy dying to make a comeback win over a big Pride name who appears that his best days were behind him. There's a funny youtube video about it. Dana ALWAYS tried giving Chuck gimme fights at the end of his career, and when he eventually could no longer hang, was when Dana finally backed away from constantly trying to revive Liddell's fame and instead tried to call for his retirement.[/quote']

Always tried giving Chuck gimmie fights?

His last five are Franklin, Rua, Evans, Wanderlei, and Jardine (He was suppose to face Rua before he faced Evans, but injury caused Shogun to pull out). He won exactly one of those fights (And not against Jardine either). And White was pushing for Chuck's retirement since the Shogun loss, but gave him Franklin as a last whim to Chuck since he respected him so much.

I'm not saying Shogun was 'fed' Liddell anyway, I'm just saying it was as expected, an easy KO win for a Chuck opponent.

Evans point blank period. You also left out bader.

Sorry but I didn't think anyone would seriously reckon Bader was best. I know he's unbeaten but he's not got a great resume.

The only two fights he's had that weren't against complete Cans are Jardine and Little Nog. Jardine has been KO'd too many times and was ready to go. Little Nog was hardly something he could use to lay claim to being the best. UD maybe, but still close and he wasn't all that great.

If nobody's voted for Machida so far, I can't really see Bader needing a spot. Sorry if you feel different.

They all do have losses to each other but I would have to go with Rashad even though I don't like him. His only loss was to Machida and that was when Rashad was fancying himself a knockout artist after knocking out Chuck. He clearly underestimated Machida and paid for it. Other than that and some controversial decisions he has been unblemished and presents stylistic matchups for anyone in the division.

I also think Jon Jones could be the best in the division but we have yet to see him face a top 5 opponent. He has the potential to be in a title fight bythe end of the year so we'll have to see.

I'm glad Machida got a couple of votes. He's beaten Rashad and Thiago convincingly and looked really dangerous 2nd half against Rampage. Loads of you think a Grand Prix is a MUST. I know it would be copying Strikeforce but theirs is only ever gonna be down to two or 3 fighters. This could go any way and would mean some great main events.

I did think about it but his record didn't seem to justify it. He was lucky to get the nod over Wanderlei and he was going down against Chuck. He also lost to Vitor. His only really decent victory in years has been Hammill.

Also, it would be hard to see him as the best at 205 when he was destroyed twice by Anderson. If I added Rich, I'd have to add Anderson.

I'm really glad you feel otherwise though. It just shows 205 is an awesome division and some sort of tournament could set UFC on fire if it happens.

I aim to do a similar poll after the next event to see how the landscape has changed.

Rashad is definently FAR AND AWAY THE BEST and most skilled. No one has even come CLOSE to beating him. Karate boy fail Machida did ' date=' but let's be honest here for a moment. That was a fluke KO, and Machida is now on the verge of being CUT.

Rashad IS going to smash Shogun. Shogun CAN'T win that fight. It would take an act of God himself for Shogun to even be competitive let alone win. Rashad IS going to retire with the belt and then become GOAT. I am 100% sure of this. You can count on it. I NEVER get predictions wrong[/quote']

This guy right here is Ufciswhereitsat, just so everyone knows. This is how he thinks all the Shogun haters act, and he's trying to act like them.

Archived