Fitch

Alves

Kos

Penn

Hughes

Sanchez

Shields

Kampman(Maybe)

I'll also be posting a poll where you can make multiple choices so pick everyone that you think could beat Diaz and SF WW Champion.

But more importantly :rolleyes: who was diaz trash talking after?

I have a poll and thread about this...

The top choice right now is a baby in the crowd :)

Just because Alves beat Doomsday doesnt catapault him into this top WW striker position your giving him. Most of the WWs would wipe the floor with alves carlos condit would take him out. As for penn he may have better technique but Diaz will still win look at what happened to KJ noons.

I think you missed the memo.

Alves' only losses in the UFC come to GSP, Fitch X2 and Fisher (in his debut so by most accounts that's negligible). His wins include Kos, Hughes and Lytle. He's more than proven to be a top striker.

Also - Noons may be a professional boxer but he's by no means a top striker OR a WW for that matter. Chris Lytle is a professional boxer as well but NO ONE regards him as one. Don't kid yourself, BJ has proven to be a top ranked MMA striker on more than one occasion.

Just because Alves beat Doomsday doesnt catapault him into this top WW striker position your giving him. Most of the WWs would wipe the floor with alves carlos condit would take him out. As for penn he may have better technique but Diaz will still win look at what happened to KJ noons.

Please tell me what fighters you have seen outstrike Alves.

I think you missed the memo.

Alves' only losses in the UFC come to GSP' date=' Fitch X2 and Fisher (in his debut so by most accounts that's negligible). His wins include Kos, Hughes and Lytle. He's more than proven to be a top striker.

Also - Noons may be a professional boxer but he's by no means a top striker OR a WW for that matter. Chris Lytle is a professional boxer as well but NO ONE regards him as one. Don't kid yourself, BJ has proven to be a top ranked MMA striker on more than one occasion.[/quote']

So beating Hughes and Kos and Lytle makes you a top striker. I guess GSP is top striker. I just dont see alves KO/TKO diaz esp if it goes past the first round. I think Carlos could beat alves. As for penn hes a top striker no doubt but Diaz is just tougher and has good cardio so he will pull off decision win. Did you see him take those leg kicks? Lyoto machida would be limping after round 1.

So beating Hughes and Kos and Lytle makes you a top striker. I guess GSP is top striker. I just dont see alves KO/TKO diaz esp if it goes past the first round. I think Carlos could beat alves. As for penn hes a top striker no doubt but Diaz is just tougher and has good cardio so he will pull off decision win. Did you see him take those leg kicks? Lyoto machida would be limping after round 1.

GSP IS a top striker.

He's never once in his career been outstruck except for the anomaly that was Matt Serra.

Alves is the same way - and has only been outstruck when there was fear of the takedown. Diaz has absolutely NO striking ability whatsoever, and you'll notice that 90% of his punches are pitter patter jabs with the occasional power shot. THOSE are ALWAYS high percentage punches whether it be in boxing or MMA. All Diaz showed in my opinion is a good chin and good cardio. In terms of skill - Most UFC WW's have more than enough to beat him on any night.

GSP IS a top striker.

He's never once in his career been outstruck except for the anomaly that was Matt Serra.

Alves is the same way - and has only been outstruck when there was fear of the takedown. Diaz has absolutely NO striking ability whatsoever' date=' and you'll notice that 90% of his punches are pitter patter jabs with the occasional power shot. THOSE are ALWAYS high percentage punches whether it be in boxing or MMA. All Diaz showed in my opinion is a good chin and good cardio. In terms of skill - Most UFC WW's have more than enough to beat him on any night.[/quote']

Oops, just an edit.

BJ Penn outstruck GSP the first time around ;)

ROLF-LMAO-LMMFAO-ROFL ok I am done...no one more ROLF-LMMFAO.

You must be trolling :rolleyes:

You watch UFC brah? UFC 117. If you haven't watched it....

GSP only outstruck him because Alves was worried about the TD. He wouldn't have to worry about that if he fought Diaz.

That doesn't matter. Being to strike without fear of being taken down is a part of mma striking.

GSP IS a top striker.

Alves is the same way - and has only been outstruck when there was fear of the takedown. Diaz has absolutely NO striking ability whatsoever' date=' and you'll notice that 90% of his punches are pitter patter jabs with the occasional power shot. THOSE are ALWAYS high percentage punches whether it be in boxing or MMA. All Diaz showed in my opinion is a good chin and good cardio. In terms of skill - Most UFC WW's have more than enough to beat him on any night.[/quote']

Well. To be fair he didnt really strike with Hardy or Alves.

I disagree that Diaz has pitter patter jabs. Those jabs are straight on hits to the chin, nose, and forehead, and they obviously cause guys to turtle up. He also lands pretty devastating body shots once they turtle, especially against the cage.

GSP IS a top striker.

I dont think I said Diaz was top striker. The best most crisp technique does not always translate into wins in MMA. That good chin and good cardio and those pitter patter jabs will wear out alves whose cardio wont be up to par.

Well. To be fair he didnt really strike with Hardy or Alves.

I disagree that Diaz has pitter patter jabs. Those jabs are straight on hits to the chin' date=' nose, and forehead, and they obviously cause guys to turtle up. He also lands pretty devastating body shots once they turtle, especially against the cage.[/quote']

Fair enough, but I'd take his jabs over one from say... what GSP did to Kos anyday.

I'll also give him the ability to fight smart - he never once really got into range for Cyborg to load up a huge headshot. Smart thing on his part that most wouldn't do.

I dont think I said Diaz was top striker. The best most crisp technique does not always translate into wins in MMA. That good chin and good cardio and those pitter patter jabs will wear out alves whose cardio wont be up to par.

That's completely hypothetical.

All I've really said is that Alves is a top striker who can pretty much take out anyone. I'd give him the edge over Diaz mostly due to the fact that his new weight cutting technique (liposuction lol) has made him look faster than I've ever seen him recently. I really do no feel that Diaz poses any real threat to him. I doubt he could take the fight where he'd have the real advantage due to the fact that Alves is just so bloody strong as well.

LMAO. Look how many noobs picked Kos' date=' Rumble, and Hughes. No ****ing way can any of those fighters beat Diaz right now.[/quote']

Kos and Hughes would UD him for sure. Rumble would probably Sprawl and brawl and KTFO out of Nick. ANd I know MMA math usually doesn't work but if Sanchez could beat Diaz then so could Kos.

You watch UFC brah? UFC 117. If you haven't watched it....

That doesn't matter. Being to strike without fear of being taken down is a part of mma striking.

But he wouldn't have to Fear Nick's takedowns. Nicks TD's are garbage and Alves is strong enough to get up.

Why we even talking about alves the smart wrestlers pose more threat: GSP' date=' shields, fitch. Diaz can handle strikers who are more crisp then him.[/quote']

Alves has the Power to KO Diaz

Kos and Hughes would UD him for sure. Rumble would probably Sprawl and brawl and KTFO out of Nick. ANd I know MMA math usually doesn't work but if Sanchez could beat Diaz then so could Kos.

I don't think so. Sanchez is a much better grappler than Koscheck. I am firmly convinced that neither Hughes nor Koscheck could defeat Diaz. And Rumble isn't even in the discussion. If Koscheck can outstrike and submit Rumble, then Diaz would destroy him.

I don't think so. Sanchez is a much better grappler than Koscheck. I am firmly convinced that neither Hughes nor Koscheck could defeat Diaz. And Rumble isn't even in the discussion. If Koscheck can outstrike and submit Rumble' date=' then Diaz would destroy him.[/quote']

Sanchez better than Kos? That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? Lol oh and Petey just curious who you think the better grappler between Kos or Hughes is. You seem to be very knowledgeable when you actually wanna talk about it haha

I don't think so. Sanchez is a much better grappler than Koscheck. I am firmly convinced that neither Hughes nor Koscheck could defeat Diaz. And Rumble isn't even in the discussion. If Koscheck can outstrike and submit Rumble' date=' then Diaz would destroy him.[/quote']

Kos is a high level wrestler with power in his right. Diaz would be taken down and controlled. IMO.

Sanchez better than Kos? That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? Lol oh and Petey just curious who you think the better grappler between Kos or Hughes is. You seem to be very knowledgeable when you actually wanna talk about it haha

Sanchez has a much better submission and all around ground game than Koscheck. Their fight at 69 doesn't really show anything. But if you recall at the end of the first round of that fight, Koscheck went for a takedown with about 30 seconds left to try to seal the round and Sanchez immediately took his back in about 10 seconds.

Between Koscheck and Hughes, I think Koscheck obviously has better wrestling pedigree, but Hughes (in his prime) has the advantage on the ground because of his pure strength.

Sanchez has a much better submission and all around ground game than Koscheck. Their fight at 69 doesn't really show anything. But if you recall at the end of the first round of that fight' date=' Koscheck went for a takedown with about 30 seconds left to try to seal the round and Sanchez immediately took his back in about 10 seconds.

Between Koscheck and Hughes, I think Koscheck obviously has better wrestling pedigree, but Hughes (in his prime) has the advantage on the ground because of his pure strength.[/quote']

Fair enough ;)

Kos is a high level wrestler with power in his right. Diaz would be taken down and controlled. IMO.

Maybe. But I think a lot of fighters, including Koscheck, would be a little hesitant to take Diaz the the ground. One wrong move, one loss of position = high chance that you will be submitted. That's the reason I hold Diaz in such high regard. He is a threat in both areas. And I think he is better than Koscheck standing (no doubt) and on the ground, if he can get a position.

Archived