GSP will finish Shields.

Shuberling

Count on it. You look at how Kampmann did in the stand-up, he was destroying Jake, then you look at GSP's striking, he is faster and more powerful and more technical than Kampmann is. Now i'm only an average GSP fan, i don't cling on to his nuts like some do, i even wanted Koscheck to beat him. But the fact is, GSP's stand-up is 5 levels higher than Jake's stand-up. Jake will take a few stiff jabs, go for the TD, but he will not succeed, GSP's TDD is amazing, he's stopped Koscheck and Fitches TD's, if they struggle to take him down, Jake will look like an amature. GSP on the other hand, he has the highest % on fight metric of TD's landed, he also has the highest amount of strikes landed.

So now that we have sorted that Jake will die in the stand-up, let's talk about the wrestling of GSP. If he did choose to take Jake, he would not get submitted, because you compare GSP to the likes of Matt Hughes and Matt Serra, he overpowered them, them 2 former champions are so much stronger than Jake is, GSP would constantly be pushing forwards and using his G,n,P. Jake will not succeed in the submission game due to being overpowered. Why did i mention the 2 fighters that beat GSP? Well they humiliated him in their first fights with him, but GSP showed that he improved in the second fights and third with Hughes by humiliating them back. He has improved dramatically and i don't think anyone will submit him again unless he went to MW where the fighters are a lot bigger and stronger.

My conclusion, i take GSP by TKO rnd 3.

Discuss

Agree with most of this. Shields usually gets tooled in the stand up then ends up getting a takedown and winning.

It'll be the same this time, only when he finally manages to take down GSP (after been tooled on the feet a bit like Kos was), GSP won't be controlled on the ground.

I dunno if GSP will finish it but it'll definitely be a clinic either way, Shields will rush into takedowns after getting constantly jabbed in the face, and GSP will stuff the majority of em.

yeah well also I think that we must not forget that GSP has been working a lot on his boxing lately.. What we saw against Koscheck was only a part of it because he was beign extra-careful due to Koscheck's right hand. Not only will his boxing have improved even more until his fight against Shields but he will not have to worry about Shield's hands at all.

The only thing he will have to worry about is being taken down. GSP's TDD is some of the best but Jake is a good wrestler so it's possible that Jake could end up on top at some point.. though as it's been mentionned the diffrence is that GSP's JJ is also great. And as it's been mentionned he's physically very strong..

I know Shields is a famed grappler but if you look at how he did against Kampmann... and considering Kampmann's grappling compared to GSP.. well... I think GSP will definitly survive. And the skill gap between GSP and Shields in the grappling isn't really significant.. I'd actually give the wrestling and control part to GSP and the submission game to Shields.. But they're really on par with each other. The problem for Shields is that GSP's striking is miles ahead of his.. it's one of the best right now and the only WW I see having a better striking game right now is Alves.

I think GSP will jab Jake's face at will and I also think he'll be working hard on his uppercut so that when Shields goes for his usual "blanket droping to the mat" type of takedown (you know.. when he gets hit and just basically falls down to this knees trying to grab his opponent's ankles with absolutely no impulse at all) he'll get killed..

GSP will decision Shields just like he decisions everyone else.

that would make sense but it doesn't since GSP finished over half his fights

he is like Muhammad Ali, alot of all Ali's wins were decision victories over 20 went to decisions

percentage wise there about the same in finishes and decision victories 38% of Muhammad Ali's fights went to decision and only 34% of GSP's fights went to decision

he is like Muhammad Ali' date=' alot of all Ali's wins were decision victories over 20 went to decisions

percentage wise there about the same in finishes and decision victories 38% of Muhammad Ali's fights went to decision and only 34% of GSP's fights went to decision[/quote']

I just simply don't like GSP. He has gone down hill drastically and is scared to fight since his KO by Serra. He pulls a Randy and Rashad and just holds people down for an entire match and it is quite boring. He used to be good to watch but wrestling clinics, as technical as they are, bore me. I like a good BJJ match and stand up but holding someone to the cage or to the ground and not doing anything is just plain boring.

I just simply don't like GSP. He has gone down hill drastically and is scared to fight since his KO by Serra. He pulls a Randy and Rashad and just holds people down for an entire match and it is quite boring. He used to be good to watch but wrestling clinics' date=' as technical as they are, bore me. I like a good BJJ match and stand up but holding someone to the cage or to the ground and not doing anything is just plain boring.[/quote']

well you're definitly an idiot because his last fight was all boxing and his previous fight was all JJ...

If you didn't see that something more than "holding someone to the cage or to the ground" was going on than you're either blind or too dumb to watch this sport.

I see shields' cardio being alot better this time around, apposed to the kampman fight. It was a big weight cut to 170, that he hasn't made in a while. If his cardio is up to par, i don't see GSP finishing. Either way the outcome, it'll go all 5 rounds. I mean, have you guys watch shields fight before the kampman fight? give the guy some credit.

he is like Muhammad Ali' date=' alot of all Ali's wins were decision victories over 20 went to decisions

percentage wise there about the same in finishes and decision victories 38% of Muhammad Ali's fights went to decision and only 34% of GSP's fights went to decision[/quote']

Lol, nice post. It must be annoying when all of those dang facts keep getting in the way of haters.

Lol' date=' nice post. It must be annoying when all of those dang facts keep getting in the way of haters.[/quote']

Except in mma you have about 1000 more ways to finish fights than in boxing. Of course with Gsp's safe style you take away most of those options so I can see how its a somewhat valid comparison.

Except in mma you have about 1000 more ways to finish fights than in boxing. Of course with Gsp's safe style you take away most of those options so I can see how its a somewhat valid comparison.

You can stop replying to me. Either you or Shin reported me so everytime you reply to me and try to start an argument I'm just gonna ignore and/or report you. If you can't handle an argument, leave.

You can stop replying to me. Either you or Shin reported me so everytime you reply to me and try to start an argument I'm just gonna ignore and/or report you. If you can't handle an argument' date=' leave.[/quote']

I have never reported anyone. Have my word on that. As as you are the one backing out it seems you can't handle the argument

; )

He couldn't finish Hardy so he won't finish Shields

Stupid logic. What if his arm bar in round 1 was positioned slightly differently and he ended the fight there and then?

You gotta realize that Hardy was fighting defensive/ survival mode (on the ground) 100% of that fight, making it harder to submit him.

Stupid logic. What if his arm bar in round 1 was positioned slightly differently and he ended the fight there and then?

You gotta realize that Hardy was fighting defensive/ survival mode (on the ground) 100% of that fight' date=' making it harder to submit him[/b'].

I've said that a million times, but no one buys it. Had he tried to satnd or go for submissions, he would have been finished, imo.

He didn't finish Koscheck when he had one eye for 4 rounds.

I don't think he will finish Shields.

Shields has the best chance of defeating GSP at WW so it should be interesting.

Kos was also doing f all the full fight, similar to the Hardy situation.

In both fights GSP took literally no damage or received any strikes whatsoever. It's gonna be harder to finish someone who's in defensive mindset.

Ie. compare Sivla fighting Maia to Silva fighting Griffin. Griffin was swinging wildly and got KTFO, Maia was too tentative to attack on the feet so it's harder for Silva to find an opening. Same thing.

Kos was also doing f all the full fight' date=' similar to the Hardy situation.

In both fights GSP took literally no damage or received any strikes whatsoever. It's gonna be harder to finish someone who's in defensive mindset.

Ie. compare Sivla fighting Maia to Silva fighting Griffin. Griffin was swinging wildly and got KTFO, Maia was too tentative to attack on the feet so it's harder for Silva to find an opening. Same thing.[/quote']

Koscheck was in a defensive mindset? Seriously? The man was half-blind. He literally could hardly see punches coming from his right side. I'm sorry, but if GSP can't finish that, then I can't see him finishing anybody. I'm ok with GSP and definitely respect him as one of the greatest fighters ever, and I'm fine with the Hardy fight because I feel GSP tried to finish, but it pissed me off so badly when he said he tried to finish Koscheck after everybody just saw that he clearly didn't.

Koscheck was in a defensive mindset? Seriously? The man was half-blind. He literally could hardly see punches coming from his right side. I'm sorry' date=' but if GSP can't finish that, then I can't see him finishing anybody. I'm ok with GSP and definitely respect him as one of the greatest fighters ever, and I'm fine with the Hardy fight because I feel GSP tried to finish, but it pissed me off so badly when he said he tried to finish Koscheck after everybody just saw that he clearly didn't.[/quote']

Faber only had one leg and Aldo couldn't finish him, so does that mean he can't finish? Big Roy just stood there and let JDS nail him, does that mean JDS can't finish? People think less of Kos' chin because of the Thiago fight but hey, that stuff happens.

Faber only had one leg and Aldo couldn't finish him' date=' so does that mean he can't finish? Big Roy just stood there and let JDS nail him, does that mean JDS can't finish? People think less of Kos' chin because of the Thiago fight but hey, that stuff happens.[/quote']

He didn't try to finish him. I have read your posts and I realize how biased you are, but come on. You can't tell me he even made the slightest attempt to finish him. That's ridiculous. Why are you even talking about Koscheck's chin? GSP didn't even throw a punch that would test Koscheck's chin. He was content with the jab. Yes it messed up his eye, but he could have followed a jab up with a cross or a hook every once and a while. If you are actually saying that GSP tried to finish him, please just let me know so I can avoid ever trying to have a serious discussion with you again regarding GSP because clearly I'm wasting my time.

Archived