Who Forces Their Game and Action Most?

TransitionGame

Watching Fedor highlights. Struck by the fact that he always takes the fight to the opponent. He does not seem to be conscious of his opponents strengths or really just care. You can look at that in a few ways. Compared to someone who like GSP who excels in developing a game plan that is completely informed by his next opponents weakness, you would think its strategy suicide. But as a fan, just think their is something incredible that he just pours in full of fight against all shapes, sizes, and skill background. You see it not working for him during the fight sometimes - Rogers, Arlovski, Randleman for example - and with the exception of Werdum (which may be a case of he was forcing the finish of good standup head strike too aggressively) - but he still keeps stalking and then going ballistic with those crazy fast swinging strikes or submission. I don think there is anyone who forces their attack and just pure lust to engage like Fedor.

What do you think?

it's all in the sig

Didnt want to get into a "who's the best" thread - enough of those - this was one just facet and some say its not a desirable one (I happen to like it). Some might say they like GSP because his actions are dictated by a strategy that reflects what he thinks the opponent strength/weakness is. (And I do happen to think Fedor is one if not the best - but another topic)

Although he is green to MMA. Brock Lesnar never waits around. He pushes with reckless abandonment.

Yeah I would have to say that while he is early to MMA people dont seem to give him much credit in this regard. You can see he is immediately going to engagement to win with strikes, bull rushes and GNP. So much so that has got him in trouble - with a few more tools in striking - that aggressiveness and size and wrestling is going to be formidable.

Fedor and Lesnar because of both of them having this attribute, would be a great fight. And the Cain/Lesnar fight was exciting because Cain was not shy about engaging. To make your point, even Cain while he won admitted he was taken by surprise with the initial furry from Lesnar.

rush

Well Rush has THE ability to impose his STRATEGY and tools to back it up. But on this thread I was thinking more about which fighter just goes at the fighter with strategy/planning for that fighter. Fedor seems to just go after them no matter who they are. Rush has such great striking that he clearly demonstrated early in his career but he will do takedowns all night if that will best beat that particular opponent. And perhaps Rush is better for this - but just on this topic, he is a different animal (more of a planner and then execution) Not bad, maybe better, but different.

Nick Diaz just keeps coming forward all the time.......and he doesn't care where the fight goes.

Yeah he is not first to come to mind. But he is very assertive. He plods at them with his waving hands but you have a definite sense that he his about to hit. And he does again and again and keeps plodding using his typical reach advantage. And he will throw great submits if opportunity presents itself Good example.

Only thing when I think of Fedor, it just crazy ballistic wailing with those arching strikes whether the guy is standing or going into a full guard position. There seems so much more menace and bad intention and assertion than Diaz.

Gsp.

No GSP (Rush) is the opposite of what I was trying to tease out in this thread. Fedor just goes after you no matter your style - he is just uber confident in taking HIS game against anybody that he comes coming after you with it every fight. GSP plans out game plan in advance based on relative weaknesses and will come out with styles depending on who he is fighting. Thats the opposite with Fedor.

GSP better than anyone' date=' and i hate GSP![/quote']

Guess I screwed up with my explanation. I was trying to determine who is the best at throwing themselves with their style regardless of opponent. For GSP, hats off to him for his methodical thinking - throws a style that is based on opponent style/weakness. Fedor just comes after you with indifference to your style.

Chael Sonnen. Without a doubt.

He forces his game no matter if whoever he is fighting has a black belt in bjj or not' date=' and he is aggressive bell to bell.

NO BRAINER[/quote']

Yeah interesting example. He certainly showed his assertion with his wrestling and some striking against Silva and basically inserted his style for the entire match. The fact that he is prone to getting caught in submissions doesnt really take away your point - actually supports it - he goes for is some much with takedown and GNP - that he exposes himself. Guess both Fedor and Sonnen demonstrated that in last fight. Guess I am showing my bias to those guys that just throw themselves with their ability to win a fight.

But subjective but its Fedor ferocity of strikes even in takedown and guy in guard that puts him above Sonnen in this regard.

GSP makes you fight his game but Nick Diaz always makes it a fight

Yeah nice comparison to make point of this thread. Earlier posted suggested Diaz also.

Funny, I would say GSP is leagues better than Diaz but it is an interesting difference here. GSP can asset his strategy better than most anybody as you say but his strategy is a result of what he thinks will be the best style to win that fight. Diaz and as I originally posted, Fedor, take their style to opponent in aggressive fashion regardless of style of opponent.

In on respect, I admire GSP that he can think it through and has abilty to change style. In another respect and the point of this thread, I admire the gutsyness of just going after fighter with your style of attack regardless of style of opponent. GSP to me has the ability to do this but chooses not to.

I think Thiago Silva has this ability also - comes at you and asserts his style.

But Fedor seems to do in such a more spectacular fashion.

Fitch seems to force his game on everybody. I hate the guy but they all know what he's gonna do but cant stop it' date=' unless your called GSP.[/quote']

Yeah he comes at you with his game and interesting thing is that he comes with strikes, rush takedowns and great submissions. I think this is ALL his full on game. Comes to win and with a few exceptions (GSP) he imposes it.

Archived