People look at me funny...

ForcexrecoN

...when I tell them I'm a huge combat sports fan.

In example.

Other Person: So, what sports do you like? I like Football and Basketball.

Me: I like Kickboxing, Boxing, and MMA.

Other Person: (Just stares at me)

Me: (resist urge to punch him in the face)

I know my face is ****ed up but its not something you should notice 5 minutes into a conversation.

"Oh my god! He doesn't like Football and Basketball! But ESPN told me that everyone should like those sports!!! Guaaah!"

/rant

People are surprised I don't like Hockey and other sports like that too.

Yeah, that pisses me off.

Someone even told me

"What!? You don't like Football? Are you even American!?"

(Which insults the **** outta me)

I should say

"What? You don't like fighting? Are you a *****?"

Maybe you need to change your face...Damn thought you'd have that figured out already...

I agree though. Im a fan of NHL, CFL and some other sports. However i grew up wtching alot of boxing and then grew a healthy interest in MMA after seeing some god awful old UFC lol. Glad to say i have converted a few skeptics into fans over the past few years.(mainly ex-girlfriends) and my old man i guess.

Maybe you need to change your face...Damn thought you'd have that figured out already...

I agree though. Im a fan of NHL' date=' CFL and some other sports. However i grew up wtching alot of boxing and then grew a healthy interest in MMA after seeing some god awful old UFC lol. Glad to say i have converted a few skeptics into fans over the past few years.(mainly ex-girlfriends) and my old man i guess.[/quote']

Yeah, my Dad was never a huge combat sports fan. Until recently where I visited him and we watched the WEC together, those exciting little guys got him hooked onto the sport.

I do piss a lot of people off (though they are equally ****s), but I don't give a ****. I like combat sports better than I like them so I'll defend it.

(While talking about fighting)

Me: Ever see Jose Aldo fight?

Traditional Martial Artist: I don't follow UFC much.

Me: He fights in the WEC, and the sport is called MMA.

TMA: It's all just UFC to me.

Me: Then is Football just all NFL to you also?

TMA: (Quiet)

Me: (Mental victory dance)

^^^ true story brah.

EDIT: This was when there still was a WEC

I do piss a lot of people off (though they are equally ****s)' date=' but I don't give a ****. I like combat sports better than I like them so I'll defend it.

(While talking about fighting)

Me: Ever see Jose Aldo fight?

Traditional Martial Artist: I don't follow UFC much.

Me: He fights in the WEC, and the sport is called MMA.

TMA: It's all just UFC to me.

Me: Then is Football just all NFL to you also?

TMA: (Quiet)

Me: (Mental victory dance)

^^^ true story brah.[/quote']

But Aldo does fight for the UFC :P

...when I tell them I'm a huge combat sports fan.

In example.

Other Person: So' date=' what sports do you like? I like Football and Basketball.

Me: I like Kickboxing, Boxing, and MMA.

Other Person: (Just stares at me)

Me: (resist urge to punch him in the face)

I know my face is ****ed up but its not something you should notice 5 minutes into a conversation.

"Oh my god! He doesn't like Football and Basketball! But ESPN told me that everyone should like those sports!!! Guaaah!"

/rant[/quote']

Very good rant and I agree with every word of it.

I just throw MMA in the mix - usually when people ask what sport you like it's to try and find common ground. And since I also am a fan of Football (gridiron), Baseball and am slowly learning to love Basketball, I just kind of toss "combat sports - like MMA and boxing" in the middle somewhere. Most people end up wanting to talk one of the major team sports, which is cool, but once in a while people pick up on MMA and we chat.

I don't know, I don't begrudge those who don't fallow MMA. It's still a sport with a fairly small following. While I have spent far more of my life studying wrestling, boxing and MMA, it's hard to expect most people to share that interest. Thus when someone generically asks what sports I like, I give them the answers they're most likely wanting to hear...and besides, I do genuinely really enjoy teams sports as well.

I just throw MMA in the mix - usually when people ask what sport you like it's to try and find common ground. And since I also am a fan of Football (gridiron)' date=' Baseball and am slowly learning to love Basketball, I just kind of toss "combat sports - like MMA and boxing" in the middle somewhere. Most people end up wanting to talk one of the major team sports, which is cool, but once in a while people pick up on MMA and we chat.

[b']I don't know, I don't begrudge those who don't fallow MMA. It's still a sport with a fairly small following. While I have spent far more of my life studying wrestling, boxing and MMA, it's hard to expect most people to share that interest. Thus when someone generically asks what sports I like, I give them the answers they're most likely wanting to hear...and besides, I do genuinely really enjoy teams sports as well[/b].

It's not them liking combat sports that angers me. It's their reaction, it's like they think your broken if you like them. If someone likes Japanese Anime I don't go "Oh **** bro, GTFO." I go "Really? What is your favorite part of it."

I say that..Then show them a submission UFC fight...Then after..Show them a KO UFC fight...Then SHow them a UFC decision war...

Then they'll know why it's my number one sport.

Usually they aren't in my house or aren't my friends when this thing happens, so I can't show them why I like it. (All my friends are hardcore fans, except one who is a 'just bleed' guy, who we never invite to any of our MMA get togethers anymore)

Usually they aren't in my house or aren't my friends when this thing happens' date=' so I can't show them why I like it. (All my friends are hardcore fans, except one who is a 'just bleed' guy, who we never invite to any of our MMA get togethers anymore)[/quote']

Blackberry. lol.

I tried showing my mate who is an amateur boxer Anderson Silva v Forrest Griffin. Got a zero reaction.

I thought that would be the type of fight a boxer would like.

I guess Forrest slow and brawler hands didn't impress.

The fights that always work for me are the WEC fights.

I got four of my friends to become HARDCORE fans, not Casuals who only follow Zuffa products. But Hardcore. All thanks to the WEC events.

I don't ever recall someone passing judgement on me for liking MMA. I've had people ask me what it is, and depending on the situation I either explain it or I simply say "You know UFC...it's that." To which everyone typically replies about how crazy extreme it is and how those guys are crazy. I say yeah, tell a story or two of some crazy highlights, they say "cool" and that's typically the end of it. Or suddenly some "know it all" dude in a TapouT shirt comes out of the woodwork and starts talking about how he's training to be a UFC fighter and how he knows everything about the sport...and then says he has no idea who Fedor is...

But in all my years of being a fan of the sport, I genuinely don't recall a single example of someone looking at me weird for liking a sport....actually when I tell people I follow gymnastics I sometimes get a raised eyebrow, but as soon as I explain I come from a family of gymnasts and I use to compete the stare shifts into intrigue as to what moves I can still perform.

I think some people are a little too hyper sensitive to people not liking their thing. I notice this in music a lot, when someone only liked "under ground" music, they tend to thumb their nose at anything mainstream and then act all butt hurt no one listened to that one CD by that dude who no one outside of Detroit ever listened too...

The fights that always work for me are the WEC fights.

I got four of my friends to become HARDCORE fans' date=' not Casuals who only follow Zuffa products. But Hardcore. All thanks to the WEC events.[/quote']

Yeah true. Lay and Pray and gassing always scares new fans away. Lower weight classes don't gas and usually put on fast paced exciting fights.

I don't ever recall someone passing judgement on me for liking MMA. I've had people ask me what it is' date=' and depending on the situation I either explain it or I simply say "You know UFC...it's that." To which everyone typically replies about how crazy extreme it is and how those guys are crazy. I say yeah, tell a story or two of some crazy highlights, they say "cool" and that's typically the end of it. Or suddenly some "know it all" dude in a TapouT shirt comes out of the woodwork and starts talking about how he's training to be a UFC fighter and how he knows everything about the sport...and then says he has no idea who Fedor is...

But in all my years of being a fan of the sport, I genuinely don't recall a single example of someone looking at me weird for liking a sport....actually when I tell people I follow gymnastics I sometimes get a raised eyebrow, but as soon as I explain I come from a family of gymnasts and I use to compete the stare shifts into intrigue as to what moves I can still perform.

I think some people are a little too hyper sensitive to people not liking their thing. I notice this in music a lot, when someone only liked "under ground" music, they tend to thumb their nose at anything mainstream and then act all butt hurt no one listened to that one CD by that dude who no one outside of Detroit ever listened too...[/quote']

Again, it's not that I'm freaking out that they don't like it or care about it. I'm freaking out at the god damn 1000 yard stare they give me like I'm some rapist.

Where do you live? People sound a lot less awkward then the ones here.

Yeah true. Lay and Pray and gassing always scares new fans away. Lower weight classes don't gas and usually put on fast paced exciting fights.

Yeah, showed my friend (never viewed MMA before). The event of Cruz .vs. Benavidez.

He was hooked and pumped.

When I called him the next day he said he still hadn't gone to sleep and was watching Highlights of "This crazy small guy called Fedor".

How he got from WEC to searching up Fedor I will never know.

Again' date=' it's not that I'm freaking out that they don't like it or care about it. I'm freaking out at the god damn 1000 yard stare they give me like I'm some rapist.

Where do you live? People sound a lot less awkward then the ones here.[/quote']

The last few years I lived in Hollywood, CA...but in December I moved to Houston, TX. Both places people seem to be pretty open and cool to letting people do their thing. I also tend to go out of my way to avoid situations where I might meet folks who get all high and mighty. I'm a big believer in letting people just be themselves.

The last few years I lived in Hollywood' date=' CA...but in December I moved to Houston, TX. Both places people seem to be pretty open and cool to letting people do their thing. I also tend to go out of my way to avoid situations where I might meet folks who get all high and mighty. I'm a big believer in letting people just be themselves.[/quote']

I can understand CA being open, with all their talk of gay rights/ext

I travel all over. When I lived in Michigan, the people there loved Combat Sports. When I stay in North Carolina a few months out of the year, the people here look at me like it's blasphemy.

I dress like a nerd and people are always surprised to find out I like sports and even more shocked when they find out I like MMA.

I refuse to believe this. I assume you're an old dude with a bad *** long white beard and katana blade hanging from your waist. The only surprise people have with you is when they walk away and realize you allowed them to live!

lol. It's like that comedian Shen Wang. He's Asian but has one of the deeper voices (almost Cowboy like) I've heard.

I usually end up making new friends the hard way - and that is by surprising them.

What is even more strange is when they find out I play the guitar. What is so strange about a guy playing the guitar?

I usually end up making new friends the hard way - and that is by surprising them.

What is even more strange is when they find out I play the guitar. What is so strange about a guy playing the guitar?

Don't you know? it's all about that crappy poetry now a days... Rapping I think its called.

I keed, I keed.

football? are we talking about the american version where it is only popular in america, and the 'ball' is an oval and only one person ever uses the foot to kick the 'ball'??

yeah i can't quite get into that sport. I'm not american, but ill watch the superbowl just for the commercials. even our canadian football teams suck.

football? are we talking about the american version where it is only popular in america' date=' and the 'ball' is an oval and only one person ever uses the foot to kick the 'ball'??

yeah i can't quite get into that sport. I'm not american, but ill watch the superbowl just for the commercials. even our canadian football teams suck.[/quote']

Yeah that Football, the one where the Foot touches the ball for all of 3 seconds throughout the entire game. Most people here act as if your Un-American if you don't watch it and your American. I had one person call me Un-American for not watching football. That really pissed me off.

Archived