Is the best fighter in each division in the UFC?

Future_Champ

I know the UFC has the best fighters overall in each division without a doubt , but I'm not so sure about the UFC have the best fighter from each division in the world and I think about this a bit so I was curious on your guys opinions? ( UFC has the deepest talent pool in the MMA world , dont get this confused with the threads main point)

LW- Frankie Edgar , Gray Maynard , Anthony Pettis - Eddie Alverez , Gilbert Melendez

I'm assuming Frankie, Gray and Pettis are the highest tier of UFC LWs , and I believe Gilbert and Eddie could definitely pose huge threats to all of them , even being able to defeat them possibly.

WW- GSP - Nick Diaz , Paul Daley

No doubts the UFC has the very best WW(s) in the world.

MW- Anderson Silva , Vitor Belfort , Chael Sonnen - Hector Lombard , Gegard Mousasi ( if he dropped back down) , Jacare.

I really believe Lombard and Mousasi at 185 could have legit chances against any MW in the UFC , maybe even defeating them.

LHW- I wont bother naming the best(s) in this division but I believe the UFC has this by a landslide also.

HW- Cain Velasquez , Junior Dos Santos - Fedor , Alistair Overeem.

I believe the best HWs outside the UFC are as good if not better than the ones in the UFC , especially Overeem.

I apologize about not doing FW and BW , but the divisions are shallow around the world and not well known in my opinion yet .

What do you think , Im sure a loot of you will think im crazy for valuing some of these fighters so high , but discuss.

Mousasi would be a killer at 185 in the UFC... but not sure if he's good enough to beat Anderson... anyone else would have a rough night though...

You;ll think a bit different after Belfort finishes Anderson at UFC 126 , hes not unbeatable if you think Anderson would destroy Mousasi and Lombard I think you'd have to have your head really far up his ***.

;) opinions of course.

Hopefully people start making remarks concerning the point of the thread.

You;ll think a bit different after Belfort finishes Anderson at UFC 126 ' date=' [b']hes not unbeatable if you think Anderson would destroy Mousasi and Lombard I think you'd have to have your head really far up his ***. [/b]

;) opinions of course.

Anderson would tool those guys harder than a carpenter. And yes I do have my head up his ***.

BW - As much as I hate him, Cruz IS the best right now. But because I hate him - both Faber and KID will have their way with him. So yes - best.

FW - It's impossible to make a case for the FW's outside the UFC to be better than Aldo. We can make a case for Warren or Hioki but it's a stretch.

LW - I firmly believe Eddie Alvarez is the best LW in the world at the moment.

WW - Easily GSP, he's scary talented.

MW - Although Lombard and Mousasi would be great, I still consider Silva the best MW in the world. The lack of depth in the competition of those 2 hurts their ranking.

LHW - Easily the UFC. You can make a case for fighters to fill in the... 8-10th spots but that's about it.

HW - Toss-up, although I feel the upper tier of SF's division is the best in the world.

I know the UFC has the best fighters overall in each division without a doubt ' date=' but I'm not so sure about the UFC have the best fighter from each division in the world and I think about this a bit so I was curious on your guys opinions? ( UFC has the deepest talent pool in the MMA world , dont get this confused with the threads main point)

LW- Frankie Edgar , Gray Maynard , Anthony Pettis - Eddie Alverez , Gilbert Melendez

I'm assuming Frankie, Gray and Pettis are the highest tier of UFC LWs , and I believe Gilbert and Eddie could definitely pose huge threats to all of them , even being able to defeat them possibly.

WW- GSP - Nick Diaz , Paul Daley

No doubts the UFC has the very best WW(s) in the world.

MW- Anderson Silva , Vitor Belfort , Chael Sonnen - Hector Lombard , Gegard Mousasi ( if he dropped back down) , Jacare.

I really believe Lombard and Mousasi at 185 could have legit chances against any MW in the UFC , maybe even defeating them.

LHW- I wont bother naming the best(s) in this division but I believe the UFC has this by a landslide also.

HW- Cain Velasquez , Junior Dos Santos - Fedor , Alistair Overeem.

I believe the best HWs outside the UFC are as good if not better than the ones in the UFC , especially Overeem.

I apologize about not doing FW and BW , but the divisions are shallow around the world and not well known in my opinion yet .

What do you think , Im sure a loot of you will think im crazy for valuing some of these fighters so high , but discuss.[/quote']

everyone but fedor

You dont really have to think too hard on this one. Strikeforce's heavy weight division is looking better. Overeem or Fedor if they win the tournament nobody can deny they are number 1 in that division. Jacare Souza would beat alot of top contendors in MW of UFC like chael sonnen, okami, vitor. Rafael and mousasi would destroy most LHWs in the UFC except for Jon Jones, Shogun. Nick Diaz would get spanked by the top tier WWs of the UFC tho but he would beat most of their top strikers including BJ Penn and especially Alves. Gilbert Melendez will have an even harder time then establishing himself in UFC LW division because most guys there except for Kenny Florian, Clay Guida, and some others would beat him.

You dont really have to think too hard on this one. Strikeforce's heavy weight division is looking better. Overeem or Fedor if they win the tournament nobody can deny they are number 1 in that division. Jacare Souza would beat alot of top contendors in MW of UFC like chael sonnen' date=' okami, vitor. Rafael and mousasi would destroy most LHWs in the UFC except for Jon Jones, Shogun. Nick Diaz would get spanked by the top tier WWs of the UFC tho but he would beat most of their top strikers including BJ Penn and especially Alves. Gilbert Melendez will have an even harder time then establishing himself in UFC LW division because most guys there except for Kenny Florian, Clay Guida, and some others would beat him.[/quote']

I wasn't comparing Strikeforce and the UFC though , and Mousasi would lose to A LOT of LHWs in the UFC trust me he is a very small and somewhat weak guy for 205 the division for him is 185 he needs to drop back down and he'd be a force in the sport.

Your right about Mousasi being small but I have no doubt he can clean up most of the guys there except for the top 3.

Really? Although he would easily have some of the best striking in the division and he completely outstruck King Mo from the bottom you could tell he was outsized in a major way in that fight. Basically - EVERY UFC LHW is about his size and the smothering should be enough to negate him.

You;ll think a bit different after Belfort finishes Anderson at UFC 126 ' date=' hes not unbeatable [b']if you think Anderson would destroy Mousasi and Lombard I think you'd have to have your head really far up his ***. [/b]

;) opinions of course.

come on dude... was that really necessary?

anyways... I wasn't saying that Mousasi didn't have a chance or that Anderson was unbeatable, I just think, after watching the both of them, Anderson would have the advantage against Mousasi... Belfort has a good chance at Anderson because he has very quick hands and Anderson prefers movement over puting his guard up, but I think Anderson could match his speed and range better against Mousasi, and very likely has more tools in his belt as far as MMA as a whole is concerned...

Your right about Mousasi being small but I have no doubt he can clean up most of the guys there except for the top 3.

You have far too much faith in Mousasi , me being a fan I think if he fought Bader , Rashad or even Phil Davis he'd have a grim fate they're just too big and strong and I dont see him submitting them. I dont think he'd beat Shogun or even Machida , I think a fight with Rich Franklin would be EXTREMELY interesting though , the kid has a lot of potential but he is very small would lose any decision he had due to be taken down a lot. Hes not even Alan Belchers size.

Really? Although he would easily have some of the best striking in the division and he completely outstruck King Mo from the bottom you could tell he was outsized in a major way in that fight. Basically - EVERY UFC LHW is about his size and the smothering should be enough to negate him.

Yea I would hate to see him against the bigger LHW's Like Page and T.Silva he would look like a MW in those fights.

come on dude... was that really necessary?

anyways... I wasn't saying that Mousasi didn't have a chance or that Anderson was unbeatable' date=' I just think, after watching the both of them, Anderson would have the advantage against Mousasi... Belfort has a good chance at Anderson because he has very quick hands and Anderson prefers movement over puting his guard up, but I think Anderson could match his speed and range better against Mousasi, and very likely has more tools in his belt as far as MMA as a whole is concerned...[/quote']

I didn't think my tone would go over well and I didn't mean to offend or come off like a prick man if I did my bad.

I do think Anderson is overrated though an AMAZING fighter and I think Lombard and Mousasi are some of the most underrated fighters in the business, I do believe if you think he'd destroy them you're a blinded fanboy or you really buy into all the hype the UFC gives him (I didn't mean that directly at you man I respect you as a member but a lot of people say how Anderson would murder Lombard , Mousasi , Vitor ect) then you have your head up his ***.

I think Mousasi and Lombard have as many tools as Anderson or very close and I think Vitors biggest tool is his mind , he doesn't have a real chance to win against the elites unless his head is in the right place and hes prepared , which hasn't happened too often for him but when it does I think at 185 he will be the champion.

I'm giving the nod to the UFC fighters in every division except for HW, simply based on the fact that they have proven themselves against better competition. HW, I'm not even going to bother speculating on...we need a top guy to switch organizations so he can be a measuring stick for this division.

I'm giving the nod to the UFC fighters in every division except for HW' date=' simply based on the fact that they have proven themselves against better competition. HW, I'm not even going to bother speculating on...[b']we need a top guy to switch organizations so he can be a measuring stick for this division.[/b]

Every Fighter and Every Matchup is different , that isn't exactly the best way to judge.

I think the problem here is when you get one or two quality guys in a place outside of the UFC they look like hero's while fighting essentially cans. It's much more interesting when you see them come to the UFC and fight a decent guy. Honeslty after watching King Mo fight, he looked like a joke, a complete joke and the fact that Aoki was ranked number 2 in the world at one point behind BJ was scarry for all the people who had him there. Aoki was never number 2 in the world, he wouldn't last a second against Joe Lauzon. Nevermind BJ Penn. And Gilbert didn't even look impressive in his fight against Aoki. Seriously think that because these guys are facing lower level competion they look like heros, Not saying they are bad or disagreeing with some of the statements ( Overeem would do well in UFC no doubt but how well is up for debate) but with MMA you never know until it's been done and even then there are questions.

We have no other way to judge.

Off the skillsets , their performances , their opponents , their potential , their consistency , ***** the train with and how hard we feel the train , their raw talent , records, their improvement and rate of it, dominance.

Thats basically what I use to judge fighters , we dont exactly get the best to fight the best because of the organizations , but I dont think that gives the UFC fighters the reason to win by default , but I know what you're saying and it makes the most sense I suppose.

I think the problem here is when you get one or two quality guys in a place outside of the UFC they look like hero's while fighting essentially cans. It's much more interesting when you see them come to the UFC and fight a decent guy. Honeslty after watching King Mo fight' date=' he looked like a joke, a complete joke and the fact that Aoki was ranked number 2 in the world at one point behind BJ was scarry for all the people who had him there. Aoki was never number 2 in the world, he wouldn't last a second against Joe Lauzon. Nevermind BJ Penn. And Gilbert didn't even look impressive in his fight against Aoki. Seriously think that because these guys are facing lower level competion they look like heros, Not saying they are bad or disagreeing with some of the statements ( Overeem would do well in UFC no doubt but how well is up for debate) but with MMA you never know until it's been done and even then there are questions.[/quote']

I must agree.

Off the skillsets ' date=' their performances , their opponents , their potential , their consistency , ***** the train with and how hard we feel the train , their raw talent , records, their improvement and rate of it, dominance.

Thats basically what I use to judge fighters , we dont exactly get the best to fight the best because of the organizations , but I dont think that gives the UFC fighters the reason to win by default , but I know what you're saying and it makes the most sense I suppose.[/quote']

How can you judge them on those things when they are fighting cans though? Like the guy above me said, it just isn't the same.

How can you judge them on those things when they are fighting cans though? Like the guy above me said' date=' it just isn't the same.[/quote']

For instance Hector Lombard , he fought Alexander Shlemenko , if you consider him a can I think you're crazy but lets say he is , he is still an elite striker better than most MW strikers in the UFC Lombard bettered him standing for 5 rounds dominantly, Shlemenko being an accomplished kickboxer and seen as a dangerous striker in MMA his entire career. He fought Jared Hess a 2x All American wrestler , who he dominated in the takedown game with his Judo , and hes fought many BJJ black belts and never been submitted. Also Hector Lombard dominates guys in fashion nobody else really compares to , he dominates guys established UFC fighters have fought and haven't looked nearly as good. He trains with one of the best camps in the world with the best fighters and trainers in the world. I think its logical to put this all together and consider this man a top 10 MW. Though he hasn;t fought many if any elite MWs. Has to make some sense?

I didn't think my tone would go over well and I didn't mean to offend or come off like a prick man if I did my bad.

I do think Anderson is overrated though an AMAZING fighter and I think Lombard and Mousasi are some of the most underrated fighters in the business' date=' I do believe if you think he'd destroy them you're a blinded fanboy or you really buy into all the hype the UFC gives him (I didn't mean that directly at you man I respect you as a member but a lot of people say how Anderson would murder Lombard , Mousasi , Vitor ect) then you have your head up his ***.

I think Mousasi and Lombard have as many tools as Anderson or very close and I think Vitors biggest tool is his mind , he doesn't have a real chance to win against the elites unless his head is in the right place and hes prepared , which hasn't happened too often for him but when it does I think at 185 he will be the champion.[/quote']

no worries... just wanted to make sure the debate didn't get personal as it can sometimes on here...

anyways... both Lombard and Mousasi would be great additions to the MW division in the UFC although I think Mousasi would have the better chance at being a contender...

as far as the UFC having the best fighters per division, I would say that is pretty accurate on the exception of the HW division... Overeem has more fights than the top 4 in the UFC (Cain, JDS, Brock, Carwin)... and the few HW veterans the UFC does have are guys beginning to eclipse on their prime... but while the UFC HW division still has a lot of newer fighters, guys like Cain and JDS have a mountain of potential...

no worries... just wanted to make sure the debate didn't get personal as it can sometimes on here...

anyways... both Lombard and Mousasi would be great additions to the MW division in the UFC although I think Mousasi would have the better chance at being a contender...

as far as the UFC having the best fighters per division' date=' I would say that is pretty accurate on the exception of the HW division... Overeem has more fights than the top 4 in the UFC (Cain, JDS, Brock, Carwin)... and the few HW veterans the UFC does have are guys beginning to eclipse on their prime... but while the UFC HW division still has a lot of newer fighters, guys like Cain and JDS have a mountain of potential...[/quote']

I stated the UFC has the best fighterS.... This thread is about THE BEST FIGHTER in each division in the world , is it in the UFC or not and your opinions on who and why.

I just stated the few in some divisions because I thought there were a lot of mixed feelings on it , though I did use my opinions I suppose.

Yeah no worries , its not personal Vitor will win though WATCH.

BW - As much as I hate him' date=' Cruz IS the best right now. But because I hate him - both Faber and KID will have their way with him. So yes - best.

FW - It's impossible to make a case for the FW's outside the UFC to be better than Aldo. We can make a case for Warren or Hioki but it's a stretch.

LW - I firmly believe Eddie Alvarez is the best LW in the world at the moment.

WW - Easily GSP, he's scary talented.

MW - Although Lombard and Mousasi would be great, I still consider Silva the best MW in the world. The lack of depth in the competition of those 2 hurts their ranking.

LHW - Easily the UFC. You can make a case for fighters to fill in the... 8-10th spots but that's about it.

HW - Toss-up, although [b']I feel the upper tier of SF's division is the best in the world.[/b]

Despite once being fans of GSP and Silva many years ago I don't really care for either man now. I do respect their abilities though and agree with most of this.

I feel the same way. :)

ill never understand these threads. the best fighters of the time' date=' are the guys who have belts. Everyone else who hasnt got a belt, isnt. Pretty simple. Mousasi got beaten by King Mo. Enough said really. But i like Mousasi though.[/quote']

He lost to a very dominant wrestler in Mo Lawal. Lawal would match up well in the wrestling department with the UFC's top LHW wrestlers.

Despite losing because he couldn't stuff takedowns from a great wrestler he beat the hell out of Mo. Seriously Mo Lawal landed something ridiculous like 26 significant strikes (resulting in minimal damage) over a 25 minute fight while Mousasi had Lawal's eye swollen shut after a round.

Gegard landed atleast four or five times as many punches on the ground off his back. If Mousasi could have used elbows he might have stopped it due to axe wound cut.

Overeem has done jack **** at LHW and HW inside of MMA. Being a K1 champion doesn't make you the best fighter on the planet especially when two of the three biggest threats were not in the tournament and not only did he not face Schilt he defeated two extremely undersized fighters. Sponge is about the size of a cruiserweight boxer and only 25 years old. When they first trained together years ago Sponge was a teenager that weighed about 170 pounds at 6'2"

Fedor will hit Alistair... and the rest will be history. If he thinks Rua, Liddell and even a grappler like Arona hit hard just wait until Fedor touches his head.

This is assuming Alistair can take care of Werdum this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if the strikeforce champion is eliminated in the first round.

Archived