Sign in to follow this  
War_l0rd

Best striker at 170lb.

You mean after Paul Daley right???

And also' date=' Alves is a better striker than GSP. He would smash him in a stand-up only fight. Different levels.[/quote']

Depends on how you look at it. The most dangerous striker is probably Alves. However, GSP probably is the most technically sound boxer at WW.

I'd have to go with Alves. His muay thai is top notch. Daley wouldn't stand much of a chance against him. All Daley has is punching power. No technique to speak of. They do have one similarity' date=' though: neither of them can ever make weight.[/quote']

Say whaaaa? He's a multiple time Muay Thai World Champion. You don't get that by being a heavy handed brawler.

Say whaaaa? He's a multiple time Muay Thai World Champion. You don't get that by being a heavy handed brawler.

Exactly.

What are you smoking?

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2010/08/st-pierre-vs-alves-fightmetric-report.html

In no way shape or form did Alves win the stand up in that fight.

The only reason GSP did soo well in that fight was because it was mma. Alves is soo much better than him, he has great combinations once he gets going but he is really gunshy against wrestlers and in that fight any time he did start getting aggresive and throw a combinations together he would get taken down. There were a couple of times when always put a few punches together with a leg kick and he lit GSP up but was immediately taken down whereas if that was a striking only fight Alves would of kept pouring it on and he would of smashed GSP.

Also, there was people saying that Sonnen outstruck Silva aswell and maybe technically he did because of fightmetric but if anyone said that Sonnen is the best striker at MW then they are crazy. I dont like when people use fightmetric and that is a perfect example. Sonnen landed more strikes on the feet on Silva with fightmetric but Silva is in a differnt league to Sonnen in stand-up and if Sonnen didn't have his takedowns to keep him out of trouble then it would of been so much different.

Exactly.

The only reason GSP did soo well in that fight was because it was mma. Alves is soo much better than him' date=' he has great combinations once he gets going but he is really gunshy against wrestlers and in that fight any time he did start getting aggresive and throw a combinations together he would get taken down. There were a couple of times when always put a few punches together with a leg kick and he lit GSP up but was immediately taken down whereas if that was a striking only fight Alves would of kept pouring it on and he would of smashed GSP.

Also, there was people saying that Sonnen outstruck Silva aswell and maybe technically he did because of fightmetric but if anyone said that Sonnen is the best striker at MW then they are crazy. I dont like when people use fightmetric and that is a perfect example. Sonnen landed more strikes on the feet on Silva with fightmetric but Silva is in a differnt league to Sonnen in stand-up and if Sonnen didn't have his takedowns to keep him out of

trouble then it would of been so much different.[/quote']

Ding ding ding we have a winner

You mean after Paul Daley right???

And also' date=' Alves is a better striker than GSP. He would smash him in a stand-up only fight. Different levels.[/quote']

technically no...you talking pure striker, technical striker, power striker?

technically no...you talking pure striker' date=' technical striker, power striker?[/quote']

Everything combined. I'm just talking about who would win if they had a striking only match. Obviously all the aspects of striking would come into play and I think Alves would win.

Also, technically Alves is very good and he has better combinations than GSP on the feet between his kicks and punches.

I would have said Thiago Alves, but after he got out-struck by GSP I'm not really sure. If GSP had more knockout power he'd be hands down the best striker in the welterweight division. He has the best footwork and head movement and is by far the most unpredictable striker and overall fighter. He also has great technique and IMO the best speed and explosiveness but he just really lacks that KO power, hopefully Freddie Roach can fix that.

I would have said Thiago Alves' date=' but after he got out-struck by GSP I'm not really sure. If GSP had more knockout power he'd be hands down the best striker in the welterweight division. He has the best footwork and head movement and is by far the most unpredictable striker and overall fighter. He also has great technique and IMO the best speed and explosiveness but he just really lacks that KO power, hopefully Freddie Roach can fix that.[/quote']

He doesnt have knockout power, he has first jab breaking orbital bone power

He doesnt have knockout power' date=' he has first jab breaking orbital bone power[/quote']

Yeah yeah and his dikk is 10 inches we've heard it from you before :cool:

He doesnt have knockout power' date=' he has first jab breaking orbital bone power[/quote']

u cant have a discussion because ur so biased toward GSP.

I'd have to go with Alves. His muay thai is top notch. Daley wouldn't stand much of a chance against him. All Daley has is punching power. No technique to speak of. They do have one similarity' date=' though: neither of them can ever make weight.[/quote']

You must not know boxing that well or train it lol... Daley has solid technique but i think Alves would be one of the only people to give him a run. I dont think Alves has ever faced another top tier striker itd be intresting to see

Ye Alves was my only thought. Paul Daley has the striking that Dan Hardy wishes and thinks he has' date=' lol.[/quote']

haha so funny and yet true

how can u say he has no technique his left hook he uses for aggressive striking and then as a counter alot...to semlessly use the same strike for 2 diffrent reason is being tech and u know this..just cuz a guy does not want to stay on the outside and throw a low number of stikes is not the only thing that means ur tech...he has a high connect rate with a moderate throw rate that screams technique...oh and back on subject i have to as pitbull is the best at 170 in the ufc

Exactly.

The only reason GSP did soo well in that fight was because it was mma. Alves is soo much better than him' date=' he has great combinations once he gets going but he is really gunshy against wrestlers and in that fight any time he did start getting aggresive and throw a combinations together he would get taken down. There were a couple of times when always put a few punches together with a leg kick and he lit GSP up but was immediately taken down whereas if that was a striking only fight Alves would of kept pouring it on and he would of smashed GSP.

Also, there was people saying that Sonnen outstruck Silva aswell and maybe technically he did because of fightmetric but if anyone said that Sonnen is the best striker at MW then they are crazy. I dont like when people use fightmetric and that is a perfect example. Sonnen landed more strikes on the feet on Silva with fightmetric but Silva is in a differnt league to Sonnen in stand-up and if Sonnen didn't have his takedowns to keep him out of trouble then it would of been so much different.[/quote']

Is this not MMA? Who the hell cares who is some theoretically better thai boxer or something? This isn't K1 it's MMA. In MMA, GSP out stuck Alves. I didn't realize we were talking never never world. In that fight only one guy ended up on his *** from a punch and that was Alves.

Is this not MMA? Who the hell cares who is some theoretically better thai boxer or something? This isn't K1 it's MMA. In MMA' date=' GSP out stuck Alves. I didn't realize we were talking never never world. In that fight only one guy ended up on his *** from a punch and that was Alves.[/quote']

Lol, damn if you ain't right.

Is this not MMA? Who the hell cares who is some theoretically better thai boxer or something? This isn't K1 it's MMA. In MMA' date=' GSP out stuck Alves. I didn't realize we were talking never never world. In that fight only one guy ended up on his *** from a punch and that was Alves.[/quote']

The question was who is the best striker not who incorporates their man laying with their striking better, so yeah he's basically asking if it was kickboxing rules who would be the best, so yes your an idiot read the post answer the question simple as that

The question was who is the best striker not who incorporates their man laying with their striking better' date=' so yeah he's basically asking if it was kickboxing rules who would be the best, so yes your an idiot read the post answer the question simple as that[/quote']

Did GSP not outstrike Alves on the feet?

The question was who is the best striker not who incorporates their man laying with their striking better' date=' so yeah he's basically asking if it was kickboxing rules who would be the best, so yes your an idiot read the post answer the question simple as that[/quote']

I didn't realize you people were so stupid do discuss something so meaningless. These guys aren't involved in pro kickboxing. They are MMA fighters.9 out 10 retards here have no idea what constitutes good striking technique anyways. The striking you see in MMA is laughable at best compared to guys who exclusively train for K1 or Thai Boxing.

I didn't realize you people were so stupid do discuss something so meaningless. These guys aren't involved in pro kickboxing. They are MMA fighters.9 out 10 retards here have no idea what constitutes good striking technique.

Then don't reply to the post and go out and become a successful mma trainer since your so knowledgable, if you haven't noticed the forums are here for fans to come here and bulls**** around this isnt a meeting about the future of mma so stfu

Then don't reply to the post and go out and become a successful mma trainer since your so knowledgable' date=' if you haven't noticed the forums are here for fans to come here and bulls**** around this isnt a meeting about the future of mma so stfu[/quote']

Except you aren't talking MMA are ya clown? You're having a circle jerk about some dream K1 fight between non K1 fighters. Pretty much every single guy you bring up would get destroyed in a K1 fight with real K1 fighters.

Except you aren't talking MMA are ya clown? You're having a circle jerk about some dream K1 fight between non K1 fighters. Pretty much every single guy you bring up would get destroyed in a K1 fight with real K1 fighters.

Who ever said we were talking about mma clown? The question was simple who is the best striker at 170 in mma, the conversation was never about sticking mma guys in with real k1 guys so your even a bigger idiot then I thought, like how in the hell haha where did that even come from who brought it up, the question was simple you made it more complicated then it really is again if u don't like the post get put of it makes sense doesn't it

Who ever said we were talking about mma clown? The question was simple who is the best striker at 170 in mma' date=' the conversation was never about sticking mma guys in with real k1 guys so your even a bigger idiot then I thought, like how in the hell haha where did that even come from who brought it up, the question was simple you made it more complicated then it really is again if u don't like the post get put of it makes sense doesn't it[/quote']

OK, answer me this, what makes a good MMA striker?

OK' date=' answer me this, what makes a good MMA striker?[/quote']

Are you serious? If hes good at striking in the techniques he uses, like Penn he's a good striker specially with his boxing and he does have good knees and elbows but what sets him apart is his boxing his footwork and combinations, good power and chin to go with it . would he last 2 rounds with manny hell no but then again that wasn't the topic was it, everyone knows K1 guys are better strikers obviously that's all they do, I don't get your point because you have none your just arguing for the sake of arguing

Top Striker at 170=Alves

Pure and simple. His overall game, strength, technique, speed and power. Id give him the edge over Daley because he has A)range strikes with kicks B)greater defense attributed from his technqiue C) if you want, he has more experience.

And if the two ever fought, Alves would wreck him, because he has more overall MMA tools to give him that GSP factor...more things to think about than striking that your stiking excels in its effectiveness. As well, Alves is a HUGE ww. But thats not the question i dont think.

When i think of best strikers i think of skill set and ability, not so much effectiveness. If thats the case, Edgar is one of the top P4P strikers, when i simply just cant accept that fact lol. especially if that success is coming off an MMA performance and not straight kick boxing.

Everything combined. I'm just talking about who would win if they had a striking only match. Obviously all the aspects of striking would come into play and I think Alves would win.

Also' date=' technically Alves is very good and he has better combinations than GSP on the feet between his kicks and punches.[/quote']

then you are wrong Alves would not win, and I think you listen to too much hype.

I'd take Siver over Daley even though he's a weight class lower.

But at WW? I'd go with Alves in a heartbeat and maybe GSP. His whole game was striking before the first Hughes Fight, and even still until the first Serra fight.

So basically the consensus is either GSP or Alves would beat Daley in a stand up only battle. Interesting.

I like GSP but he fights a little safe sometimes, so he'd find it hard to KO or finish Daley. I think he could outpoint him though while avoiding the big shots.

Alves vs Daley would be a great fight though.. I'd go with Daley in that one though tbh.

I'd take Siver over Daley even though he's a weight class lower.

he's another overated hyped fighter Daley would put him to sleep in seconds Ross Pearson has better stand up than Siver