The SHogun Jones Staredown??

dimension33

Ok need some opinions on this one...being a big SHogun fan..Ill be honest it looked odd seeing Jones come straight across for the staredown and seeing Shogun look away and seemingly refuse to look at Jones...also looked like there may have been some confusion on Dana and both fighters about what was supposed to happen there...but was Shogun scared???

Ok need some opinions on this one...being a big SHogun fan..Ill be honest it looked odd seeing Jones come straight across for the staredown and seeing Shogun look away and seemingly refuse to look at Jones...also looked like there may have been some confusion on Dana and both fighters about what was supposed to happen there...but was Shogun scared???

I think you're looking in to it too much, looked pretty casual. Shogun didn't look in to his soul. Jones did his typical stare at the floor thing.

Lot of fan energy there for a pre-fight press conference though.

Just watched the replay here: http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs/archived-replay-ufc-128

I don't think too much can be made of a pre-fight presser staredown, but if I had to analyze it, I'd say that Jones was trying to either send a message or get into Rua's head by "not" meeting in the middle for the staredown.

I noticed he purposely cut off the middle and made sure to stay on Rua's side...kind of like saying, "I'm going to take the octogon control and be the aggressor".

Rua's reaction to this was less fear and more him realizing what Jones did and keeping his calm (he knows when it's going to really matter - Saturday night). His victory fist pump at the end can be reassurance this move by Jones did not instill him with fear.

Going to be a good fight :)

You are clearly not a big shogun fan cause if u was u would know that shogun never looks into his opponents eyes in the staredowns.

Jones never looks at his opponent, he stares at the ground and breathes heavy. His staredowns are the worst. I think shogun realized he wasn't even going to look at him so he decided to just turn to the crowd.

Jones needs to grow a pair and stare some people down.

This is the first main event I'm scared of watching......

I think I'm going to miss it......

I feel so scared for Shogun, he's going to get seriously hurt.....

I'd be witness to a serious assault, possibly murder.....

How can I watch without calling the Police?

I better not watch.....

Shogun if you're reading, it's not too late to change your mind......

Fake an injury for your own sake.

It was. Jones does this awkward stare/no stare thing and Shogun kind of does a similar thing but at least he is great with the fans.... what we saw is what happens when you put 2 weird staredown fighters together.

That's pretty much it. They were both confused as to what to do. This thread is retarded.

Jones never looks at his opponent' date=' he stares at the ground and breathes heavy. His staredowns are the worst. I think shogun realized he wasn't even going to look at him so he decided to just turn to the crowd.

Jones needs to grow a pair and stare some people down.[/quote']

He needs to grow a pair and stare some people down? WTF what does that even mean? Shogun doesn't stare at his opponent either, from what I'm understanding based on the replies of people in this thread....but you're not saying he needs to grow a pair....anyway, Jones says that by looking at people he's focusing on the body and not the face...this way he humanizes his opponents

he belives jones is not on his level and feels disrespected so he refuses to look at him

Shogun is a badass but like it or not, he did get choked out by Forest Griffin, and fought Mark Coleman not too long ago. How is Jones not on his level if he's fought those guys? I'm not disagreeing with what you said, because I think you're right..but if anyone that shogun fought isn't on his level it would have been Coleman. Just because Jones hasn't been around for ages in the fight game doesn't mean he's not deserving to step in for Rashad for a title fight. I think Shogun will find this out, whether Jones wins or loses.

The staredown looked a little awkward to me.

this.... i was like: WTF!? does Shogun know what to do?? i mean,this is not a first time he does pre-press staredown and he didnt have a clue what to do tonight...

and i thin Jones was confused pretty much too , he was like: 'hey man,it's my job looking at the floor!!'

but if he was really scared we will see on weigh in staredown....

Your all looking way to far into this its just a stare down geez besides it just looked like shogun was confused for some reason then jones got confused cause shogun didnt face him i just laughed when i saw it

Shogun did seem confused...Jones was probably confused too because normally his opponents talk trash about him before the fight and there is tension at the stare down, Vera, Vladdy and Bader....lol it's like Jones didn't know how to react to Shogun's inability to act like a jerk haha

You are clearly not a big shogun fan cause if u was u would know that shogun never looks into his opponents eyes in the staredowns.

lol get a life dude....that stare down was akward i dont care who you are...and please dont tell me who I am a big fan of and who I am not a big fan of based on what you think I know about HOW THEY STARE DURING THE WEIGH INS...thanks for playing

lol get a life dude....that stare down was akward i dont care who you are...and please dont tell me who I am a big fan of and who I am not a big fan of based on what you think I know about HOW THEY STARE DURING THE WEIGH INS...thanks for playing

CAT FIGHT!!!! meow......lol

Archived