Do MMA gyms need to change?

BruteDion

i have noticed a scary tread in MMA, its the dieing off of gyms. What im saying is as the career of fighters die out gyms are having a hard time renewing talent, or just had bad infighting that cuz the split... Lets look at the examples

1.The lions Den...in the mid 90s this gym was though of as the second if not best gym. as guys like ken shamrock and vernon whites careers started to fad so did its rep and it has not produced to talent in a min

2.Pat militachs gym(didnt care to spell check)..this gym was the top of the world in the mid 90s and early 2000 who has top talent like tim silvia, matt hughes, rich frankin, robbie lawler. but like the lions den when tim silvia and matt hughes lost there titles things started to go down but they were not done to this day they train good guys but over time the top guys started to leave like hughes who started his own gym with lawler

3. Chute boxe..this gym was a place of myths...the fighters produced from this gym were knows as tough guys who would be glad to be punched in the face twices just to have the chance to hit you once...giving a shot to the poor of the country to fight it had a steady stream of fresh young and hungry talent...but times would quickly change with the owner of the gym asking for outrageous money for training and stealing money from it fighter and blackmailing fighters...as the talent left to go to other gyms this ship sank rather quickly

this is just 3 gyms that any givin time were though of as the top 3 gyms of there time and are starting to fad in the memory of MMA fans

With all that is happening with Greg Jacksons gym now will we see in the futuer a crumbling of this major gym and is this in the future of other gyms like it?

the top 3 gyms now are blackhouse,GJ,ATT...will this list be diffrent in the next 5 years...maybe gyms need to start a recruting process like other major sports lets face it these gyms are like colleges and only the best colleges have the best recruting process.at local shows in my area fighter that do good are always taked to by the local gyms tryn to get the fighter to train at their gyms is it time these top gyms stop relying on thier name alone and start asking fighter to come to them?

the biggest MMa gym in my area has had good success it promoted it own shows and produced some good fighter(have had pros like aaron riley and BJJ black belts like david hertzog come to train with us) but there was infighting with the owners and it has been shut down for months now and us fighter have had a hard time fighing good gyms cuz we are in maryland and mma has not been legal 4 long and the gym count is low sadly and this is just at the local level and things like this are happening at the major level...mma is growing and to keep this up and have the talent level grown with the sport out gyms need to keep up as well

looks like duke roufus is on the way to becoming one of the top gyms pretty quickly

oh yah deff...his gym is on my top 5list of wish to train at

his gym just need to get better grapplers and they will be top 5 gym 4 a really long time...but the thing i really love bout him is that he is willing to try new things..alot of gyms that have really great history coaches are that they are stuck in thier own mind set and are not willing to try new things

gyms should not lay their foundations using select few fighters careers. They need to continually associate themselves with the best in order to be considered the best gyms. However this is not necesary to be a good or successful gym.

i agree...if there success was more build on building up the fighter so that they can make more money for themselfs and the gym and not about soley riding the success of the top teir fighters they would have a longer gym life...look at the best gym systems in BJJ( or most combat sports) u will see that u will see they have mulitgyms and go to many shows local and major and look 4 talent..promoters do this gym owners need to do this

Archived