Is UFC moving too fast?

StompGrind

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tim_marchman/03/16/strikeforce.sale/

I've been thinking about this recently and this article sums up some good points. There's alot i don't really agree with but some good points are raised as well.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/6/2033638/lorenzo-fertitta-on-fighting-words-with-mike-straka

^^Lorenzo in a interview with Mike Straka talked about how everything about the business revolves around the PPV. He also made a reference to boxing in how he's a fan but disappointed in that it's diluted and puts on only a few amazing cards a year ( which is part of the reason big fighters can demand so much money ) where as the UFC puts on many amazing cards and spreads the money around more...which imo is somwhat false and true at the same time. On an unrelated note i thought the clause if him and Frank ever disagree they have to fight a sport jiu-jitsu match with Dana as ref was funny as hell.

My question would be with the acquisition of SF and plans on expansion into new markets and putting on more fights doesn't it kind of dilute the sport in a similar fashion to how he described boxing? Are many people willing to pay for a PPV every other week or will they wait to see the more stacked events?

I understand it's thier dream to make the sport and thier brand into a household name but are they a little too optimistic in thinking MMA will become as popular as other big sports?

I have no doubt mma will continue to grow but i don't think it will ever trumph say NFL, NBA, MLB etc. It's almost still a taboo sport in many peoples eyes.

Oh and one more thing why are Lorenzo's pupils dilated most of the time. hehe

Thoughts?

No one wants to discuss this huh? Is it a beating a dead horse subject? Or Wrong section!!!:D

I suppose i could make a thread about counting to a million or another religious thread and have a dozen replies in 5 min. :P

Brewster if you see this thread i'd really like to hear your thoughts on it.

I saw that interview too.

About your question.. I think at this point it's not delusional to think that MMA will be as big as major sports. I just don't think it'll happen as soon as the UFC thinks. It'll take 10+ years. They should try and do something like WWE. Once they have enough fighters on their roster, get a TV deal and have a weekly or bi-weekly show. Where they could also advertise the PPV Then @ the end of the month they can have a PPV. But to think the sport is going to get a whole lot bigger with most fights being on PPV is absured.

The Reason alot of sports are so big is because they are FREE to watch. UFC should also look into doing supercards on network TV once every 3 or 4 months not these UFN quality shows but something they know they could sell on PPV. It would be an investment in the future rather than a quick payday.

PS Hope you appreciate me taking time out of my postwhoring to read and give you a well thought out response:)

I saw your second post and thought to myself "Why the **** aint people showing Stomp some respect." People will post in troll threads but not this.. Besides it's not like you make too many threads so when you do I read it.

Read the first article and the dude is a hater, he's one of those "experts" that has to write something bad to get attention. Why the **** wouldn't the UFC buy SF? I think that when the Showtime deal expires, SF should not be merged, but be held as a a Development League a la NBA, and it will be better for everyone.

Fighters should be more conserned about their competition than the money they make, the nature of the sport is to see who's the best, not the one who makes more money so they turn into prima donnas and TV superstars that make me angry. MMA is not that famous and it shouldn't be more famous than basketball, etc. because it's a serious sport that requires much dedication and if the fighters start being treated as stars we'll have more distracted competitors

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tim_marchman/03/16/strikeforce.sale/

I've been thinking about this recently and this article sums up some good points. There's alot i don't really agree with but some good points are raised as well.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/6/2033638/lorenzo-fertitta-on-fighting-words-with-mike-straka

^^Lorenzo in a interview with Mike Straka talked about how everything about the business revolves around the PPV. He also made a reference to boxing in how he's a fan but disappointed in that it's diluted and puts on only a few amazing cards a year ( which is part of the reason big fighters can demand so much money ) where as the UFC puts on many amazing cards and spreads the money around more...which imo is somwhat false and true at the same time. On an unrelated note i thought the clause if him and Frank ever disagree they have to fight a sport jiu-jitsu match with Dana as ref was funny as hell.

My question would be with the acquisition of SF and plans on expansion into new markets and putting on more fights doesn't it kind of dilute the sport in a similar fashion to how he described boxing? Are many people willing to pay for a PPV every other week or will they wait to see the more stacked events?

I understand it's thier dream to make the sport and thier brand into a household name but are they a little too optimistic in thinking MMA will become as popular as other big sports?

I have no doubt mma will continue to grow but i don't think it will ever trumph say NFL' date=' NBA, MLB etc. It's almost still a taboo sport in many peoples eyes.

Oh and one more thing why are Lorenzo's pupils dilated most of the time. hehe

Thoughts?[/quote']

I'm also concerned about what this monopoly will do to the sport. As a natural pessimist, I think it can't be positive.

A possible plus would be the formation of a fighters union, now that decent fighters can't skip off to Strikeforce for less exposure, but better pay. But I know that is probably too optimistic.

I saw that interview too.

About your question.. I think at this point it's not delusional to think that MMA will be as big as major sports. I just don't think it'll happen as soon as the UFC thinks. It'll take 10+ years. They should try and do something like WWE. Once they have enough fighters on their roster' date=' get a TV deal and have a weekly or bi-weekly show. Where they could also advertise the PPV Then @ the end of the month they can have a PPV. But to think the sport is going to get a whole lot bigger with most fights being on PPV is absured.

The Reason alot of sports are so big is because they are FREE to watch. UFC should also look into doing supercards on network TV once every 3 or 4 months not these UFN quality shows but something they know they could sell on PPV. It would be an investment in the future rather than a quick payday.[/quote']

I agree with most of that except im not sure the sport will ever be as popular as other sports ( atleast not in the US i don't see it happening ) although i certainly hope so.

As much as i love the sport it doesn't at the moment and perhaps never will have mass appeal like other sports.

As the sport grows and it gets more exposure and you have a bunch of people growing up watching it then maybe that will change but i agree that could be a very long time.

I agree with most of that except im not sure the sport will ever be as popular as other sports ( atleast not in the US i don't see it happening ) although i certainly hope so.

As much as i love the sport it doesn't at the moment and perhaps never will have mass appeal like other sports.

As the sport grows and it gets more exposure and you have a bunch of people growing up watching it then maybe that will change but i agree that could be a very long time.

Yeah I'd say 10 is the closest it is but 15-20 is more realistic. With more kids watching it they'll be training at a young age. And trying out for wrestling. And now kids out of college see they can use their wrestling after college and make good money and be famous.

PS Hope you appreciate me taking time out of my postwhoring to read and give you a well thought out response:)

I saw your second post and thought to myself "Why the **** aint people showing Stomp some respect." People will post in troll threads but not this.. Besides it's not like you make too many threads so when you do I read it.

lol no worries and thanks. I just feel like i gotta work hard to get replies sometimes.

Read the first article and the dude is a hater' date=' he's one of those "experts" that has to write something bad to get attention. Why the **** wouldn't the UFC buy SF? I think that when the Showtime deal expires, SF should not be merged, but be held as a a Development League a la NBA, and it will be better for everyone.

Fighters should be more conserned about their competition than the money they make, the nature of the sport is to see who's the best, not the one who makes more money so they turn into prima donnas and TV superstars that make me angry. MMA is not that famous and it shouldn't be more famous than basketball, etc. because it's a serious sport that requires much dedication and if the fighters start being treated as stars we'll have more distracted competitors[/quote']

I came away from that article feeling the same in that he's a hater but he brought up some good questions about it regardless of how i feel on his views. I agree that they should keep SF around as minors type league. Also i think the showtime contract ( unless things change ) is up till 2014 so if they do merge it could be a while. On the money side i do hope fighters get paid better. I think what the top fighters make is ok at the moment but i more talking about those that are just scratching a living.

I'm also concerned about what this monopoly will do to the sport. As a natural pessimist' date=' I think it can't be positive.

A possible plus would be the formation of a fighters union, now that decent fighters can't skip off to Strikeforce for less exposure, but better pay. But I know that is probably too optimistic.[/quote']

I have concerns about that as well. Since they are pretty much the only big thing now they have more negotiating power being able to demand what they want more or less.

Unions there are pros and cons to that. One big problem in mma right now is insurance. Your insured from injuries in fights themselves but outside of that your on your own. Unions could help there but im sure promoters wouldn't be all too happy about it. Couture has talked about this on a number of occasions.

That Fertitta interview was very good, you can tell that he's passionate and what I like the UFC is that their "big people" aren't fat bastards that know **** about the sport and only care for the money. Sure they also care for the money but they care for the fans as they also are fans and want to see this huge fights, and that's why they bought SF. They're successful businessman and I have all the reasons to believe that MMA will grow with this purchase

No one wants to discuss this huh? Is it a beating a dead horse subject? Or Wrong section!!!:D

I suppose i could make a thread about counting to a million or another religious thread and have a dozen replies in 5 min. :P

Brewster if you see this thread i'd really like to hear your thoughts on it.

At this point, I believe it is beating a dead horse. Zuffa has gotten very greedy with their PPV's. In order to get the sport to a wider variety they would almost have to do a free show or 2. Like Shady said, not some UFN quality show that showcases the same dudes we watched for 10+ weeks on TUF. A real event. The UFC has plenty of big names to fill a card like that, without shorting themselves the profit of say, a championship fight.

Here's an idea. Get with one of the 4 major networks(Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS) to sign on for a one event deal. From there you have contender fights for each weight division. That way you still have the notariety of the PPV's. Either that or divulge some sort of bracket system like bellator does.

If the PPV greed keeps up, im afraid it will stunt the sports growth indefinitely.

At this point' date=' I believe it is beating a dead horse. Zuffa has gotten very greedy with their PPV's. In order to get the sport to a wider variety they would almost have to do a free show or 2. Like Shady said, not some UFN quality show that showcases the same dudes we watched for 10+ weeks on TUF. A real event. The UFC has plenty of big names to fill a card like that, without shorting themselves the profit of say, a championship fight.

Here's an idea. [b']Get with one of the 4 major networks(Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS) to sign on for a one event deal[/b]. From there you have contender fights for each weight division. That way you still have the notariety of the PPV's. Either that or divulge some sort of bracket system like bellator does.

If the PPV greed keeps up, im afraid it will stunt the sports growth indefinitely.

According to Dana and Lorenzo there working on it they just haven't had the right offer yet. I don't quite by that though. If the PPV's start taking alot of hits they may have to make a deal.

Totally agree they need to do some free shows that atleast on paper look amazing. It's very true though that some of the free shows they do currently turn out to be amazing and PPV cards sometimes are lackluster but looked amazing on paper. You just never know how it will turn out.

Like Shady said, alot of the reason is that other sports are free. That's partly the case, but it's also that the ufc still isn't in full mainstream acceptance... yet. Believe me it will be and is growing fast. If the ufc had more free cards it could be better for them in the long run. If we saw some stacked fight night cards, not ppv caliber but exciting fights like hardy vs johnson for example. That is a great fight and we all know it will be a great fight and will be almost garenteed KOTN. But is it pay per view caliber? Maybe a filler fight but certainly not high up on the card. Either the first fight on the ppv broadcast or a spike prelims fight. But both of those guys are rising in fame and popularity and a perfect spot for them is on the fight night cards.

Also, I think that because most mma now a days is contested inside a cage that gives a bad view by the public because it's like human **** fighting. But Pride that had all of it's events in a ring may be more publicly accepted because of the rign that kind of resembles boxing. Even though Pride was brutaly violent. The ufc leaving out kicks/knees/stomps to the head on the ground may benifit the sport because that makes the sport look even more violent which doesn't help us with our mainstream acceptance.

Archived