Can't we all just agree Jones vs Shogun is a great fight.

theshaun333

I mean seriously. This is an outstanding match up. Both pose some real issues for each other, and it will be a big test for both fighters.

People need to stop claiming one or the other is going to destroy his opponent. The fact is that we dont have enough facts to base such a claim.

Shogun is an outstanding veteran fighter. He can end a fight at any moment. He has also never fought somebody with the physical abilities of Jones. Jones insane reach can really mess up his timing. Shogun is an aggressive fighter, but to land punches he has to get inside bones reach. Shogun has some outstanding kicks, but throwing a lot of leg kicks can get you taken down.

Jones is a real superstar in the making. The guy has just plain dominated everyone he has fought. He also has never fought somebody on Shoguns level. Jones likes to throw a lot of unorthodox strikes, which have been very successful, but those can leave you wide open to get countered. We dont know what Jones chin is made of, and all the credit to Jones for beating his opponents in a fashion that leaves that question unanswered.

Can't we all just agree that this is one hell of a fight, and that regardless of who wins its sure to be entertaining. There are just to many variables for people to be thinking one fighter will destroy the other. Jones may well throw shogun on his *** and tko / sub him. Shogun may well pick him apart on the feet and get that KO. Fact is this is a very interesting match up, and we should just be excited we get to see it. I Can't wait to find out how this fight plays out.

I mean seriously. This is an outstanding match up. Both pose some real issues for each other' date=' and it will be a big test for both fighters.

People need to stop claiming one or the other is going to destroy his opponent. The fact is that we dont have enough facts to base such a claim.

Shogun is an outstanding veteran fighter. He can end a fight at any moment. He has also never fought somebody with the physical abilities of Jones. Jones insane reach can really mess up his timing. Shogun is an aggressive fighter, but to land punches he has to get inside bones reach. Shogun has some outstanding kicks, but throwing a lot of leg kicks can get you taken down.

Jones is a real superstar in the making. The guy has just plain dominated everyone he has fought. He also has never fought somebody on Shoguns level. Jones likes to throw a lot of unorthodox strikes, which have been very successful, but those can leave you wide open to get countered. We dont know what Jones chin is made of, and all the credit to Jones for beating his opponents in a fashion that leaves that question unanswered.

Can't we all just agree that this is one hell of a fight, and that regardless of who wins its sure to be entertaining. There are just to many variables for people to be thinking one fighter will destroy the other. Jones may well throw shogun on his *** and tko / sub him. Shogun may well pick him apart on the feet and get that KO. Fact is this is a very interesting match up, and we should just be excited we get to see it. [b']I Can't wait to find out how this fight plays out.

[/b]

I'll save you the suspense. Takedown followed by elbow, elbow, elbow. Followed by Shogun bleeding alot, Followed by Dana putting the belt around Jones's waist. Followed by Jones thanking his training camp and god. I just saved you $50.00

I mean seriously. This is an outstanding match up. Both pose some real issues for each other' date=' and it will be a big test for both fighters.

Can't we all just agree that this is one hell of a fight, and that regardless of who wins its sure to be entertaining. There are just to many variables for people to be thinking one fighter will destroy the other. Jones may well throw shogun on his *** and tko / sub him. Shogun may well pick him apart on the feet and get that KO. Fact is this is a very interesting match up, and we should just be excited we get to see it. I Can't wait to find out how this fight plays out.[/quote']

Yes we can. Anyone who thinks other wise or thinks one will run through the other is retarded. This is a great fight cant wait to see it no matter what the outcome is!

[/b]

I'll save you the suspense. Takedown followed by elbow' date=' elbow, elbow. Followed by Shogun bleeding alot, Followed by Dana putting the belt around Jones's waist. Followed by Jones thanking his training camp and god. I just saved you $50.00[/quote']

This is very possible, but your certainty is where I draw issue.

This is very possible' date=' but your certainty is where I draw issue.[/quote']

Jackson fighters don't play the other man's game. Jones will come out go for the takedown and rinse, wash, repeat. until he gets a stoppage or a UD victory. He's too good not to stay in tight on Shogun and not allow submissions and he is constanly working so there will be no reason for standup. Jones takes this alot easier than most of you think.

I like them both Shogun & Jones are beasts' date='I'm pulling for Shogun out of nostalgia & honor..[/quote']

I'm also a fan of both fighters. Maybe thats why it has bothered me how biased people are being towards one or the other. It's not like this is a new occurrence, but it seems it has been worse as of late.

I cant say im pulling for either fighter. Just an exciting fight.

I'm also a fan of both fighters. Maybe thats why it has bothered me how biased people are being towards one or the other. It's not like this is a new occurrence' date=' but it seems it has been worse as of late.

I cant say im pulling for either fighter. Just an exciting fight.[/quote']

Me too,Jones is definitely the future,but I don't want to give up the past so soon..

Jackson fighters don't play the other man's game. Jones will come out go for the takedown and rinse' date=' wash, repeat. until he gets a stoppage or a UD victory. He's too good not to stay in tight on Shogun and not allow submissions and he is constanly working so there will be no reason for standup. Jones takes this alot easier than most of you think.[/quote']

I think you need to educate yourself on the complete roster of jackson's fighters. Plenty of them fight to their own strengths and not just their opponents weaknesses. That said I dont see Jones trying to strike with Shogun. That doesnt mean he will completely destroy him in the first round. Consider another unkown about jones in his cardio. We havent seen him go very far. I doubt the fight will make it to the later rounds, but if it does he could be in some serious trouble. Maybe his cardio is great... thats the point .. we dont know. To many variables to be as certain as you seem to be.

I think you need to educate yourself on the complete roster of jackson's fighters. Plenty of them fight to their own strengths and not just their opponents weaknesses. That said I dont see Jones trying to strike with Shogun. That doesnt mean he will completely destroy him in the first round. Consider another unkown about jones in his cardio. We havent seen him go very far. I doubt the fight will make it to the later rounds' date=' but if it does he could be in some serious trouble. Maybe his cardio is great... thats the point .. we dont know. To many variables to be as certain as you seem to be.[/quote']

I think you need to educate yourself. You're talking about Jones's cardio when Shogun gassed against both Coleman and Griffin? Worry about Shogun in the cardio dept, not Jones. And Jackson fighters fight the fight's they want too, not the one their opponent wants too is what I meant by that statement.

It's going to be a sic fight.No matter who wins it,i will still like the both of them.If Shogun wins,right on,he shows his championship colors.If Jones wins,right on,he deserves to be at the top with the best.As one of the posters above have stated,Jones is a superstar in the making.Win or lose he will be the man for sometime to come.

I think you need to educate yourself. You're talking about Jones's cardio when Shogun gassed against both Coleman and Griffin? Worry about Shogun in the cardio dept' date=' not Jones. And Jackson fighters fight the fight's they want too, not the one their opponent wants too is what I meant by that statement.[/quote']

You can't really compare the Shogun who started his ufc career with the Shogun of today.You put alot of stock into Jackson's fighter's.With the exception of Bones and a couple others,most of his fighter's are a bore to watch.Bones reach is definately a disadvantage to anyone he fights.His speed and agility are two other facors that make his very dangerous.That being said,you can't be a true mma fan and totally count a great vetran fighter like Shogun out.Take it as it is,a very exciting fight for any of us to watch,no matter who you like more.

You can't really compare the Shogun who started his ufc career with the Shogun of today.You put alot of stock into Jackson's fighter's.With the exception of Bones and a couple others' date='most of his fighter's are a bore to watch.Bones reach is definately a disadvantage to anyone he fights.His speed and agility are two other facors that make his very dangerous.That being said,you can't be a true mma fan and totally count a great vetran fighter like Shogun out.Take it as it is,a very exciting fight for any of us to watch,no matter who you like more.[/quote']

The Shogun of today is the one fighting tomorrow night. Reality is that he is a 3-2 fighter in his last 5 that has shown cardio issues in two of those fights. Im not saying he's not an exciting fighter. But I think alot of you need to get history out of your head and realize that Shogun isn't the same fighter he was in Pride, nor will he ever be again.

The Shogun of today is the one fighting tomorrow night. Reality is that he is a 3-2 fighter in his last 5 that has shown cardio issues in two of those fights. Im not saying he's not an exciting fighter. But I think alot of you need to get history out of your head and realize that Shogun isn't the same fighter he was in Pride' date=' nor will he ever be again.[/quote']

Well who said that?Pride and Ufc are different.I was talking about Shoguns cardio just like you Were,before you went of the rails.Reality is,he should be 4-1 in his last five.....unless your a Machida fan,and count the first match up as legit.

[/b]

I'll save you the suspense. Takedown followed by elbow' date=' elbow, elbow. Followed by Shogun bleeding alot, Followed by Dana putting the belt around Jones's waist. Followed by Jones thanking his training camp and god. I just saved you $50.00[/quote']

Takedown your right..... the follow up maybe...... Jones has the Talent but i would think it will be more like this....

07-Shogun-kneebar.gif

Well who said that?Pride and Ufc are different.I was talking about Shoguns cardio just like you Were' date='before you went of the rails.Reality is,he should be 4-1 in his last five.....unless your a Machida fan,and count the first match up as legit.[/quote']

I count it as a close fight called for Machida. And I wasn't pointing out you specifically but alot of people are still thinking of Shogun in terms of Pride and that's just not the case. It's time for another dominant champ at LHW and Jones is just the right guy for the job.

im so excited just to watch this fight, i totally know what you mean. I get that jones is only 23 and stuff, and he looks incredible.. But jeeze, isn't shogun only like 28? It's not like he's some 35 year old guy that is an out of date veteran. If shogun stays healthy, he still has a mininmum of 5-7 great years.

Can't we all just agree that this is one hell of a fight, and that regardless of who wins its sure to be entertaining. There are just to many variables for people to be thinking one fighter will destroy the other. Jones may well throw shogun on his *** and tko / sub him. Shogun may well pick him apart on the feet and get that KO. Fact is this is a very interesting match up, and we should just be excited we get to see it. I Can't wait to find out how this fight plays out.[/quote']

Well written man and I agree but if a gun was to my head and I had to chose....I have to go with Bones.

I count it as a close fight called for Machida. And I wasn't pointing out you specifically but alot of people are still thinking of Shogun in terms of Pride and that's just not the case. It's time for another dominant champ at LHW and Jones is just the right guy for the job.

I am a big fan of Pride but I got to tell you that Shogun in the UFC is better than he was in Pride. I dont know what you are watching though? In Pride he got hit a lot on his chin and had hands at his waists most of the time. He was still incredible fighter though.

But now in the UFC he had the perfect Muay Thai form in his last three fights (Hands up and leg kicks) and he showed that he isnt as reckless as he was in Pride.

My opinion on the fight is that it is a tossup really. I have Shogun as the slight favourite though as I think he will push Jones as he was never pushed before. How Jones will react under that kind of pressure will determine the winner IMO. Though it can all end with a flash sub or flash KO very quickly be either of them too

[/b]

lol, good post.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Shogun will win 100%. But if Jones win I win a sigbet because he probably will win. Either way, you know who wins? Nobody does.

It IS a great match up, because it's one of those oldschool vs new school match ups. I'm not rooting for anyone here. I hope the best man wins. That said I truly believe we're starting to see the birth of new generation of fighters in 2011-2012. The old school is starting show it's "age". Not just in years but in the amount of punishment they've taken over the years and their viciousness starts to fade. Chuck, Wanderlei, Minotauro, Cro-cop, Rich, Shogun and even Fedor. These guys have been around forever. You only get so much milage out of the human body. They're all icons of the sport but I truly believe they represent a glorious past.

I think Jones is what these guys were 5 to 8 years ago. I'm not saying Jones will make it look easy but if I was a betting man....

This is a great fight, it has a great champion defending for the first time against an up-and-comer who has so far looked unbeatable.

This fight could go either way, Shogun could KO/TKO Jones with superior striking on the feet or catch him in a submission off his back (I highly doubt that outcome though) or Jones could win it on the ground by a TKO or a top-control submission. Jones could also take a decision by uses a ridiculous reach advantage on the feet and great takedown and and ground control.

This fight could also be anywhere from a competitive back and forth fight to a surprisingly quick and one-sided fight. Shogun could win the striking while Jones wins the grappling in a fight that goes a few rounds or so or Shogun could KO/TKO Jones in one round or Jones could ground and pound Shogun to a first round finish.

I think you need to educate yourself. You're talking about Jones's cardio when Shogun gassed against both Coleman and Griffin? Worry about Shogun in the cardio dept' date=' not Jones. And Jackson fighters fight the fight's they want too, not the one their opponent wants too is what I meant by that statement.[/quote']

You act like im supporting Shogun over jones. Im not. Im just pointing out the flaws in your certainty. You dont seem to acknowledge that Shogun has a damn good chance to beat Jones. Yes shogun has had cardio issues when coming off injuries. So Yes shogun could gas, but so could jones. Thats the point. To many unknowns for you to be so certain.

Archived