Sport Science: Shogun Rua's Kicking Power - 2749 Lbs of Force

Sugar_Water

I think Jones skinny legs will be chopped down.

This plus Jones has only been out of round 1 once. Shogun will take it into round 3-4 and cut him down with leg kicks.

This is the hole in Jone's game.

Yeeeeah your opinion is ignored because you just proved that you criticize with no support....Jones went the distance with Gusmao and Bonnar, and went to the second with Bader, that's three times he's been out of round 1

Shogun has to get close enough to land those kicks. He does not have the lenght Jones has, and as soon he throws a kick, Jones will strike back with the hands and land a few shots and if he's smart he'll use that to take the fight to the ground.

Jones is extremely fast. One kick would have to cripple jones completely to slow him down, because repetitive kicks would just put shogun in far too much danger from Jones hands with all that reach.

Yeeeeah your opinion is ignored because you just proved that you criticize with no support....Jones went the distance with Gusmao and Bonnar' date=' and went to the second with Bader, that's three times he's been out of round 1[/quote']

He started gassing in the third round with bonnar too, gotta keep that in mind. Last time shogun went more than 5 rounds he was fully prepared.

Shogun has to get close enough to land those kicks. He does not have the lenght Jones has' date=' and as soon he throws a kick, Jones will strike back with the hands and land a few shots and if he's smart he'll use that to take the fight to the ground.

Jones is extremely fast. One kick would have to cripple jones completely to slow him down, because repetitive kicks would just put shogun in far too much danger from Jones hands with all that reach.[/quote']

I agree....if Shogun is confident enough with his TDD and fighting off his back then he can afford to be aggressive in the stand up, and he will land his shots....but who knows....he might be hesitant, any fighter would be considering what Bones has been doing to people.....to think Shogun will the same way he has been fighting other opponents is absurd, no one on his resume possesses the same skill set as Bones....same can be said about Bones in regards to Shogun...the fighter with the more dictating style will be the victor.....hey, don't be surprised if Bones either takes Shogun down early just to make him fear the take down or doesn't take him down at all....Shogun has probably been training in anticipation of the double leg....ex. GSP vs Kos 2....GSP did what no one expected, and stood the whole fight....

I agree....if Shogun is confident enough with his TDD and fighting off his back then he can afford to be aggressive in the stand up' date=' and he will land his shots....but who knows....he might be hesitant, any fighter would be considering what Bones has been doing to people.....to think Shogun will the same way he has been fighting other opponents is absurd, no one on his resume possesses the same skill set as Bones....same can be said about Bones in regards to Shogun...the fighter with the more dictating style will be the victor.....hey, don't be surprised if Bones either takes Shogun down early just to make him fear the take down or doesn't take him down at all....Shogun has probably been training in anticipation of the double leg....ex. GSP vs Kos 2....GSP did what no one expected, and stood the whole fight....[/quote']

that would be retarded though, jones has ZERO chance on his feet, say what you will if you say that jones can beat shogun standing you ARE delusional...jones' only shot is to take him down...shogun knows this, i dnt think jones knows it though...

that would be retarded though' date=' jones has ZERO chance on his feet, say what you will if you say that jones can beat shogun standing you ARE delusional...jones' only shot is to take him down...shogun knows this, i dnt think jones knows it though...[/quote']

^^This. IMO Jones is saying he can strike with Rua so that Rua may come into the fight tentative and Jones can get the fight to the ground quickly. Rua is by far the most eilte "aggressive" style striker in the division and arguably the most elite striker overall in the weight class. If you look at his fights, Jones does not use his reach in the striking department. He uses it to stay low and defend the TD with that awkward stance. Rua has faced fighters of similar body type, but none with the caliber of TD Jones has. If Rua comes out and finds his timing and range as quickly as he did with Machida, it will be a short night for Jones. It will be a crazy fight no matter who wins.

^^This. IMO Jones is saying he can strike with Rua so that Rua may come into the fight tentative and Jones can get the fight to the ground quickly. Rua is by far the most eilte "aggressive" style striker in the division and arguably the most elite striker overall in the weight class. If you look at his fights' date=' Jones does not use his reach in the striking department. He uses it to stay low and defend the TD with that awkward stance. Rua has faced fighters of similar body type, but none with the caliber of TD Jones has. If Rua comes out and finds his timing and range as quickly as he did with Machida, it will be a short night for Jones. It will be a crazy fight no matter who wins.[/quote']

exactly

since jones usually has that akward stance where he bends his legs alot, i think the best way for shogun is to get into his face with a low stance as well, keeping a low center of gravity to avoid the shoot and nullifying jones reach advantage.

because jones has such a low stance shogun should be able to reach his head anyway and if jones tries to weave his head away that leaves his legs open for a brutal leg kick or maybe even a takedown for shogun.

we havent seen anyone get in jones face yet and i think he wont know what to do when that happens.

so my prediction is Shogun winning by brutal KO in the late second round/early third round.

It's amazing that his punch lbs force is only half of what Cain V's is. And yet Cain is only about 10-15 lbs heavier.

Only 10-15 lbs, really?!

Anyway, whats spectacular with both him and Cain is the timing of the strikes, any ****** bag can hit hard in a lab, I could probably kick harder than shogun due to pure overwhelming bulk and length of the leg(lol), doesn't mean I could hit anyone in a octagon does it? =P

Love it. I've been thinking all along, if Shogun can figure out Lyoto, he'll come in prepared to take out Jones. Leg kicks for two or three rounds and Jones will be limping around like Faber against Aldo. It'll also take away from his takedown ability.

Kicking a pad that doesn't move or counterpunch is a lot easier than kicking an opponent in a cage. Yes SHogun can kick hard but with Jon's reach it will be tough to pick him apart with leg kicks.

ok this is it....stop, jones fans plz stop...his reach doesnt mean **** if he NEVER UTILIZES IT!!!! i have not seen one crisp jab or ANY jab come outa jones!!! he dsnt use his reach so stop!!!

ok this is it....stop' date=' jones fans plz stop...his reach doesnt mean **** if he NEVER UTILIZES IT!!!! i have not seen one crisp jab or ANY jab come outa jones!!! he dsnt use his reach so stop!!![/quote']

Are you just saying he doesn't jab (because he doesn't need it) or he CAN'T jab (I guarantee you he can)?

Are you just saying he doesn't jab (because he doesn't need it) or he CAN'T jab (I guarantee you he can)?

anyone can jab, but the question is if jones has any precision with it or any power, i doubt he has either of those.

and shogun kicks very fast so im sure he will get some good use with the leg kicks.

Rua is a great kicker , but kicking a awesome westler like Jones feel like suicide in a strategy point .

Rua should keep it standing and try a over hand in the pocket , If i was Shogun i will try to exchange from the inside because Jones a huge reach and he a great westler so doing clinch + leg kick will not be smart .

ok this is it....stop' date=' jones fans plz stop...his reach doesnt mean **** if he NEVER UTILIZES IT!!!! i have not seen one crisp jab or ANY jab come outa jones!!! he dsnt use his reach so stop!!![/quote']

I like Jones and Shogun so I'm not just a Jones fan. Obviously Jones is going to try to take it to the ground but if they are standing do you not think that they are prepared for the leg kicks and have a plan?

I guarantee that Jones has been told to throw a punch or shoot everytime that Shogun throws a leg kick.

I like Jones and Shogun so I'm not just a Jones fan. Obviously Jones is going to try to take it to the ground but if they are standing do you not think that they are prepared for the leg kicks and have a plan?

I guarantee that Jones has been told to throw a punch or shoot everytime that Shogun throws a leg kick.

jones CAN jab, he never has thrown it in ANY of his fights...AKA he dsnt utilize the jab/reach...you cnt just know how to use it right away, to use it effectivley it takes practice and use, look at GSP's, Bj penn's, A.Silvas....they use it and utilize the reach jones doesnt...

If Shoguns kicks a lot in this fight it will = a lot of Bones take downs!:)

you also got to think, and alot of bones fans are forgetting 2 things...

1: hard to catch kicks especially if there comming fast

2: if he does get a TD right after one, over time his TD will become slower and weaker, allowing shogun to **** him up...

Archived