Jones has never fought a BJJ guy

Jbrahams

Since he's been in the UFC, Jones has never fought a guy that has great BJJ, all he has fought is wrestlers and strikers and what he tends to do is take them to the ground and GnP and submit them, but what if he actually fought a guy that was a very good BJJ practitioner?

It's obvious he isn't going to be dominated by a wrestler since he is a great wrestler and has great TDD and it's obvious he's not gonna get KO'd too easily due to his freakish reach advantage. So what about against a BJJ guy? He has longer limbs which would make it easier for guys to grab onto.

Thoughts?

They would need to have good cardio and strength as well. Great BJJ is fine but when you are getting man handled on the bottom its hard to sweep or sub.

and good wrestling, no one has been able to get Jones down, so I think if he did he would be out of his comfort zone and a BJJ guy would be great to capitalize

Since he's been in the UFC' date=' Jones has never fought a guy that has great BJJ, all he has fought is wrestlers and strikers and what he tends to do is take them to the ground and GnP and submit them, but what if he actually fought a guy that was a very good BJJ practitioner?

It's obvious he isn't going to be dominated by a wrestler since he is a great wrestler and has great TDD and it's obvious he's not gonna get KO'd too easily due to his freakish reach advantage. So what about against a BJJ guy? He has longer limbs which would make it easier for guys to grab onto.

Thoughts?[/quote']

Have you seen Brandon Vera's credentials? He is no slouch he trained a lot down in 3rd Law BJJ which is a top notch gym. He has placed and won many BJJ tournaments even on a national level if I am not mistaken. A brown belt yes , but better than most black belts in the division. Shogun has also participated in BJJ competitions on a black belt level and placed highly as an accomplished black belt. Stephan Bonnar is also no slouch.

So who does he need to face Rogerio? Ricardo Arona? My point exactly.

I believe Rashad Evans is one of the best opponents for Jon Jones , considering he has a solid chance to take Jon Jones down and somewhat compete standing he will try to find openings and explode and shoot , getting Jones on his back seems important test and also being able to take him down will put a damper on his "amazing" striking trust me.

Like I said earlier , So many fighters we've viewed as unbeatable Machida? BJ Penn? GSP? Anderson Silva? Remember Gegard Mousasi being on everyones p4p list and a top 3 LHW everywhere? Wanderlei? you get the point he hasn't even defended the belt yet calm down with all this hype and have more respect for fellow fighters.

Have you seen Brandon Vera's credentials? He is no slouch he trained a lot down in 3rd Law BJJ which is a top notch gym. He has placed and won many BJJ tournaments even on a national level if I am not mistaken. A brown belt yes ' date=' but better than most black belts in the division. Shogun has also participated in BJJ competitions on a black belt level and placed highly as an accomplished black belt. Stephan Bonnar is also no slouch.

So who does he need to face Rogerio? Ricardo Arona? My point exactly.

I believe Rashad Evans is one of the best opponents for Jon Jones , considering he has a solid chance to take Jon Jones down and somewhat compete standing he will try to find openings and explode and shoot , getting Jones on his back seems important test and also being able to take him down will put a damper on his "amazing" striking trust me.

Like I said earlier , So many fighters we've viewed as unbeatable Machida? BJ Penn? GSP? Anderson Silva? Remember Gegard Mousasi being on everyones p4p list and a top 3 LHW everywhere? Wanderlei? you get the point he hasn't even defended the belt yet calm down with all this hype and have more respect for fellow fighters.[/quote']

yeah but you need great wrestling too, so it seems to be asking for too much, Evans is a good opponent but I think Davis is just as good, he reminds me of Jones in many ways and I think he would have a chance against him

yeah but you need great wrestling too' date=' so it seems to be asking for too much, Evans is a good opponent but I think Davis is just as good, he reminds me of Jones in many ways and I think he would have a chance against him[/quote']

Davis needs time , he is atleast 3 consecutive wins away from a title shot. I think he will lose on his first run to the belt , though I'm a major fan of him.

What I haven't seen from Jones is how he reacts to adversity. I thought Shogun would test him, but he made him look like an amateur. Idk if anyone can test Jones at this point. Machida, Phil Davis, and Lil' Nog look like good match-ups, but I'm not sure who else is available. Evans has nothing for Jones IMO. After seeing what he did last night, I have no doubt in my mind about that. I was blown away. However, focusing on your theory about BJJ guys, there aren't many spectacular BJJ blackbelts at 205 to speak of.

So to beat Jones, you'd need someone who has: A black belt in BJJ, a great striker, great KO power, good cardio, and a good top game?

Thiago Silva is a black belt in BJJ, great striker, great KO power, not so good cardio and an amazing top game, and his bottom game isn't to bad as he can stand-up quite well of his back. And he is ridiculously strong!

Let Thiago KO that lanky bugger!

Nah, only joking, Thiago is my favourite fighter ever, but i would not like to see this fight as i would probaly cry if Thiago lost, lol.

Well, i think that best grapplers in LHW div. are probably Babalu,Mousasi and Fedor(well,if he decides to move down) .... you cant say Shogun since he's not using his BJJ for submitting people but for getting up and not letting someone kick you *** on the ground.... and since they cut Vinny Magalhaes(who was the best BJJ guy in UFC probly,but was bad everywhere else) the best grapplers are in SF...

Gonna throw out a crazy idea...

Not all guys with BJJ blackbelts are equal. So many fighters train BJJ anymore that they get good enough to earn a belt but it's not like how MMA used to be when there were less guys training BJJ or training ways to stifle and defend subs and such.

Sure, Shogun has a black belt in BJJ, but it's not like he's a BJJ wizard.

And I think the guy who could beat Jones is Forrest Griffin. Jones was pretty badly gassed by round 3 and Griffin tends to win by wearing guys out.

Archived