Did the long layoff effect Shoguns cardio?

super_eurasian

This is my first thread and the shogun fight prompted me to ask this but he really did look gassed in the first round and I know he was hurt in the third but the body shot sealed it for jones so was it his cardio problems that truley got exposed BTW i'm not making excuses for the guy he is one of my favourites but what do you guys think?

This is my first thread and the shogun fight prompted me to ask this but he really did look gassed in the first round and I know he was hurt in the third but the body shot sealed it for jones so was it his cardio problems that truley got exposed BTW i'm not making excuses for the guy he is one of my favourites but what do you guys think?

Who knows? Only Shogun does but he was just completely overwhelmed by Jones so it probably wouldn't have made a difference

He hasn't had good cardio since he entered the UFC. Look back at the Griffin fight. Forrest completely exposed it. And so did old man Coleman.

Shogun needs a new strength and conditioning coach and needs to realize that his leg kick is not the end all to every fight.

Rogan once said it the only thing you can control in a fight is your cardio.

No. Jones' domination did.

i think he got rocked early and didn't recover' date=' his explosiveness was nowhere to be seen. Also he seemed to have underestimated jones striking. Shogun refused to throw leg kicks, and by the time he threw one it was so slow bones easily caught it and took him down.[/quote']

It's easy to look gassed when you've been completely man handled for 5 minutes

all this, and the kick he took along with the combos in the first. This will take your will and your gas.

He hasn't had good cardio since he entered the UFC. Look back at the Griffin fight. Forrest completely exposed it. And so did old man Coleman.

Shogun needs a new strength and conditioning coach and needs to realize that his leg kick is not the end all to every fight.

Rogan once said it the only thing you can control in a fight is your cardio.

I dont know he went five full hard rounds with machida and looked fine but in this jones fight he did'nt even try to set up leg kick combos or anything he just got outclassed tonight i guess....which is really quite sad to see such a great go down

Everyone can hypothesize and postulate as to why Shogun lost, but the fact is that he didn't just lose, he was dominated in EVERY aspect of MMA. This is the same thing that has happened to all of Jones's other opponents. I remember reading threads about how Ryan Bader looked like crap, Hamill looked like crap, etc... The fact is, it's hard as hell to look good when you're being dominated from bell to bell. Jones does a great job at executing his plan and making fighters fight HIS fight due to the masterminds he has affiliated himself with. His dominance is because he has confidence and he does his homework to nullify any strengths his opponents bring to the fight, just as GSP has done thus far. The only difference is that GSP skipped the chapter about finishing his opponents. There must not have been a French translation for those sections.

i think he got rocked early and didn't recover' date=' his explosiveness was nowhere to be seen. Also he seemed to have underestimated jones striking. Shogun refused to throw leg kicks, and by the time he threw one it was so slow bones easily caught it and took him down.[/quote']

this is a possibility, i think he got hurt badly in the first plus jones was on top of him for a long time

Does anyone think Shogun actually looked clueless about what to do with Jones? Didn't look like he had any real gameplan and was just trying to wing it.

This^. Shogun didn't even utlize his famous leg kicks, or set up anything. He kept attempting leg locks, which failed. I think he should've taken Jones down when he had Jones in a back clinch. But nontheless, Shogun was dominated.

No it had no effect in this fight. He said himself he was in better shape then the machida fights, was 100% healthy and ready to go. He was simply overwhelmed by Jones.

This^. Shogun didn't even utlize his famous leg kicks' date=' or set up anything. He kept attempting leg locks, which failed. I think he should've taken Jones down when he had Jones in a back clinch. But nontheless, Shogun was dominated.[/quote']

How could he? If he would throw leg kicks he would get countered by Jones huge lenghty arms. JBJ is just to strong for Shogun. The only thing he could have MAYBE do differently was not to attempt any submissions or takedowns when he had Jones back, but to just unload to the body or head from behind.

Does anyone think Shogun actually looked clueless about what to do with Jones? Didn't look like he had any real gameplan and was just trying to wing it.

i thought the exact same thing. after he got rocked he never fully recovered imo. if he did have a game plan, which i'm sure he did being the veteran that he is...it went right out the window once bones put the pressure on him. he looked lost out there, almost scared at times. i think he slightly underestimated his opponent and paid a heavy price for it. the fact that he ended up tapping to strikes just as the fight was being stopped says alot about his mindset during that one, i never, EVER would have said shogun would tap to strikes, the guys a warrior, but it looked like bones just sapped all the confidence out of him with his strength, speed, and general all round dominance that we saw. It wasn't a case of shogun not being prepared for the fight, his cardio would not have been an issue, it was just that bones is THAT GOD DAMN GOOD! he proved that tonight, he is the real deal and here to stay for a long time. i cant think of anyone that's guna dethrone him. rashad will be steamrolled. bones vs machida would be interesting but i think bones wrestling would be too much. forget a machida or shogun era......i think the bones era has just arrived and is 100% LEGIT.

Archived