How good was Pride and their fighters?

Shady_Champ

This is not a troll thread. But looking at it with no bias to the amazing fights they had.. How good were they?

Let's look at top pride stars

Fedor (1-2) in an american promotion

Nog (UFC 3-2) With wins over Heath(already beat him before) Randy(Small HW) and Tim Very credible at the time

Cro-Cop - Biggest win was against Pat Barry, he was supposed to come to the UFC win and get an immediate title shot.

Rampage - Probably the best of them all, but a waist of talent.. If fully committed he could be champion but he has beaten Chuck,wand,marvin,Lyoto,Jardine But has lost to Forrest(I thought he won that) and Evans

Wand(Losses to Rampage, Rich, Chuck win over Jardine and Pissing

Shogun 3-3 wons over to elders chuck and Mark and also Machida(impressive) Losses/ Forrest.Machida and Jones

Hendo Lost to Rampage Anderson and beat Pissping and a couple others..

I think it's safe to say Pride was overated

And yes I know Anderson lost twice in pride.`

This is not a troll thread. But looking at it with no bias to the amazing fights they had.. How good were they?

Nog (UFC 3-2) With wins over Heath(already beat him before) Randy(Small HW) and Tim Very credible at the time

Cro-Cop - Biggest win was against Pat Barry' date=' he was supposed to come to the UFC win and get an immediate title shot.

Rampage - Probably the best of them all, but a waist of talent.. If fully committed he could be champion but he has beaten Chuck,wand,marvin,Lyoto,Jardine But has lost to Forrest(I thought he won that) and Evans

Shogun 3-3 wons over to elders chuck and Mark and also Machida(impressive) Losses/ Forrest.Machida and Jones

And yes I know Anderson lost twice in pride.`[/quote']

Well all those fighters are pretty beat up from the pride days. Plus octagon favors the grappler. The ring favors more aggression.

It's a different ballgame.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you how good the 'elite' fighters of the UFC would have done in Pride. And no one really can, but I would imagine that fighting in a ring under Pride rules is very different from fighting in the cage with its own set of rules.

Also, you have to consider that a lot of these guys who were so great in Pride now wear their battle scars in their muscles and bones. They aren't necessarily the same guys they were many years ago.

It's a different ballgame.

Honestly' date=' I couldn't tell you how good the 'elite' fighters of the UFC would have done in Pride. And no one really can, but I would imagine that fighting in a ring under Pride rules is very different from fighting in the cage with its own set of rules.

Also, you have to consider that a lot of these guys who were so great in Pride now wear their battle scars in their muscles and bones. They aren't necessarily the same guys they were many years ago.[/quote']

Pride had the better fighters AT THAT TIME. Dana sent chuck over there and he got murdered by rampage. Nog came over and beat tim sylvia who was the dominant champ at that time. Fedor also beat arvlovski and sylvia.

again....look at the chunk of UFC elite during pride days' date=' after pride was obsorbed..

its a new generation. everything old dies.

look at ortiz

syliva

liddell

arlovski

hughes

all of them have fallen off their elite status since prides death.

a stupid argument[/quote']

All of those fighters r in the later part of their 30's

again....look at the chunk of UFC elite during pride days' date=' after pride was obsorbed..

its a new generation. everything old dies.

look at ortiz

syliva

liddell

arlovski

hughes

all of them have fallen off their elite status since prides death.

a stupid argument[/quote']

Excellent point.

Excellent point.

UFC successes since prides exit in 07.

HW:Lesnar and Velqsquez...both didnt even fight in the UFC when pride was around.

LHW:Rampage stole it from the face of UFC. and it jumped around from Griffin, Evans, Machida. Machida just entered the UFC after prides exit, and griffin and evans took their 3 fight night fights and finally made it to PPV status.

MW:Silva just won the title right before pride died.

WW:Hughes, the glory child, and top P4P fighter was murdered by GSP and never the same again.

Penn: won the title 1 year after pride was taken out...there was no champ because of Sherks roids, and no real face of the division at all.

all UFC sucess at the elite level after prides death has come from guys who wernt around when pride was at its elite. Except Shogun, and Rampage, 2 pride guys. Maybe you can consider Big Nog too.

its comparing 00`-07`pride to 06`-10` UFC

There is a couple of reasons why they havnt been so successful as they were in Pride.

All are great fighters but this was a few years ago now, and these fighters are starting to age (not just in years but from all the fights they have had) so they arent going to be what they once were. Also in Pride they competed in a ring which is very different to a giant cage.

Plus MMA has changed and is changing all the time and alot of these veterans have found it difficult to keep up with the times because of how fast the sport is growing and with that you get a newer breed of fighters coming into MMA and knowing they have to be great at all aspects to be successful so you are now getting a lot more complete mixed martial artists competing then you did back then and a perfect example is the Jones/Shogun fight.

Thats the reasons imo anyway.

Cro-Cop - Biggest win was against Pat Barry' date=' he was supposed to come to the UFC win and get an immediate title shot.

The way i see it is coming to the US completly changed the envirenment for the Pride fighters

Looking @ it. I retract my pride was overated statement and replace it with this.

Most of us expected the pride fighters to just come in and dominate.

yeah, totally. when all they did was come in, bring the talent pool up, some found success, some didnt.

overall though, they were the better organization. but yeah, nobody can argue that pride came in an swept the ufc. because by the time that pride organization did a tour in the UFC, it was a new UFC, not the one they were compared to in 00-06

lols yes rampage is a WAIST of talent, if fully committed he COULD be champion? if i remember correctly he is a former UFC LHW champ?

chuck was sent to pride and got started packing right after? and i think alot of it has to do with the difference between using a cage and in a ring.

Looking @ it. I retract my pride was overated statement and replace it with this.

Most of us expected the pride fighters to just come in and dominate.

I didn't expect Pride fighters to dominate. The time Pride failed/was acquired by the UFC the UFC fighters were already the best fighters. There was a time when Shogun, Nog, Fedor, and Wanderlei were the top fighters in the world. As I said, this was several years ago now. In sports the premier organisation that pays the most money attracts the best fighters/athletes. At one time Pride was the premier MMA organisation. Seeing how the UFC pays it's fighters it's no wonder the best fighters went to Pride at that time lol but this is all history now.

I thought you were more intelligent then this.

The guys who were in there prime in Pride are now vetrans in their 30's.

When Fedor, Cro Cop and Big Nog ruled the HW division in Pride. Tim Sylvia and AA were UFC HW champs. It's unfair to be comparing the Pride vets to guys like Velasquez.

Rampage and Shogun are the only two pride greats who were still in there prime at the time of merger. Both of whom went on to become the champ.

The Pride fighters were amazing as was the company it's self.

Archived