Who Next For Jim Miller?

MMAYard

As the title says! Very impressive performance last night... Got to be a fight away from a title shot now... just he's in the unfortunate position of having to wait for Edgar/Maynard rematch, and then Pettis to get his turn. Maybe Sean Sherk in the meantime?

Miller deserves a top guy, but as has been pointed out, the Guida - Pettis fight is the next guy to finally get a chance at the belt.

Tyson Griffin may be a interesting matchup but Griffin's kinda faded from the unbeaten prospect he once was. Still a great fighter but...

Guillard may very well be next for Miller. Or perhaps Dunham or Gomi? We also haven't seen Florian for a while.

A match against Siver wouldn't really help Miller move up much as Siver's not really a top contender imo. He's been somewhat inconsistent and has lost to better guys.

I think Jim Miller will next fight Edson Barboza. I noticed that he fought 2 undefeated fighters in a row' date=' so I think Barboza would be next.[/quote']

I think they may have finally learned their lesson about feeding undefeated prospects with "dangerous match-ups" to Miller.

They won't give him the title shot for still awhile. He is pretty darn boring.

Boring? He's finished more than half his bouts. In his four decisions he had Bocek in major danger with a kimura, rocked and guillotined Wiman who only survived by damn near yanking Miller's pants off, rocked Tibau twice, and hammered Danzig so hard the entire canvas was red. His last two times out he tapped a BJJ wunderkind and knocked out a guy said to have an untouchable granite chin. He has crisp, powerful striking and when on the ground he always looks for the sub (or when on the feet too, with his flying triangle last night.)

Miller deserves a top guy' date=' but as has been pointed out, the Guida - Pettis fight is the next guy to finally get a chance at the belt.

Tyson Griffin may be a interesting matchup but Griffin's kinda faded from the unbeaten prospect he once was. Still a great fighter but...

Guillard may very well be next for Miller. Or perhaps Dunham or Gomi? We also haven't seen Florian for a while.

A match against Siver wouldn't really help Miller move up much as Siver's not really a top contender imo. He's been somewhat inconsistent and has lost to better guys.[/quote']

florian's dropped down a weight....

If Pettis loses to Guida, I'd say Miller is absolutely the #1 contender. If Pettis wins against Clay, I'd give Showtime the shot against the champ after Frankie/Gray and then put Miller in a title eliminator bout with Sherk...or line up a fight with the title bout loser as he has loses to both of them that I'm sure he'd like to avenge.

If Pettis loses to Guida' date=' I'd say Miller is absolutely the #1 contender. If Pettis wins against Clay, I'd give Showtime the shot against the champ after Frankie/Gray and then put Miller in a title eliminator bout with Sherk...or line up a fight with the title bout loser as he has loses to both of them that I'm sure he'd like to avenge.[/quote']

Guida is currently on a 3 submission win streak and if he beats Pettis you think Miller is still ahead of him? What?

Guida is currently on a 3 submission win streak and if he beats Pettis you think Miller is still ahead of him? What?

Jim Miller is on a 7 win streak, his only two loses are to Maynard & Edgar, one of which (Frankie) was before their UFC careers even began, not to mention Miller has been one of the most consistent fighters in the 155 division. You could argue the caliber of fighters Guida has faced is superior than Miller's...but Jim holds legit wins over true contenders in the division.

Honestly, if Pettis didn't score that wall kick and have the hype of being the last WEC Champ I'm not sure I'd put him at the head of the pack - but regardless the fans are really interested to see if Showtime can stand atop the steepest mountain in the UFC currently. So Dana has promised him the shot - the only way it's being taken away from him is if Guida puts a halt to it. Which if he does, I think Guida should be the #2 guy right behind Miller. If it were me, I'd say Jim Miller should be ahead of Pettis, but the decision has already been made, so moving forward from here, I think my original post is the best course of action...

Jim Miller is on a 7 win streak' date=' his only two loses are to Maynard & Edgar, one of which (Frankie) was before their UFC careers even began, not to mention Miller has been one of the most consistent fighters in the 155 division. You could argue the caliber of fighters Guida has faced is superior than Miller's...but Jim holds legit wins over true contenders in the division.

Honestly, if Pettis didn't score that wall kick and have the hype of being the last WEC Champ I'm not sure I'd put him at the head of the pack - but regardless the fans are really interested to see if Showtime can stand atop the steepest mountain in the UFC currently. So Dana has promised him the shot - the only way it's being taken away from him is if Guida puts a halt to it. Which if he does, I think Guida should be the #2 guy right behind Miller. If it were me, I'd say Jim Miller should be ahead of Pettis, but the decision has already been made, so moving forward from here, I think my original post is the best course of action...[/quote']

I'll grant you that Miller IS on a longer win streak but my arguement is one you touched on, Guida has been fighting amonst the top while more of Miller's opponants are trying to reach that level. If Miller can take out another top guy (Dunham, Sherk, Guillard, Florian) I'd say he should be the challenger after Guida/Pettis. Miller certainly has dominated the middle talent in the division. He should be fighting better guys.

I'd agree Pettis is getting included mainly because of the sizzle of his kick, and Guida will be a huge test for him.

he deserves a title shot and i think he'll proably get it

sure but the LW title picture is a huge ****in mess

gotta wait for Maynard/Edgar III and then Pettis/Guida and if pettis wins he gets the shot

and maybe if guida wins he might get one for taking out Gomi AND Pettis

so Miller has atleast 9 months to wait for his chance

You know what makes me sick...? Guys like Jim bring it and make really exciting fights, and they get paid peanuts compared to title fights that are ALWAYS boring.#

The last time I think I got more excited at a title fight than the pre-lims was the Sonnen-Silva bout. Paying for the main title fights is becoming more of a showbiz purchase..

I'll grant you that Miller IS on a longer win streak but my arguement is one you touched on' date=' Guida has been fighting amonst the top while more of Miller's opponants are trying to reach that level. If Miller can take out another top guy (Dunham, Sherk, Guillard, Florian) I'd say he should be the challenger after Guida/Pettis. Miller certainly has dominated the middle talent in the division. He should be fighting better guys.[/quote']

Who at the top has Guida been fighting on this winning streak, exactly? Shannon Gugerty? Rafael Dos Anjos? A washed up Takanori Gomi?

As the title says! Very impressive performance last night... Got to be a fight away from a title shot now... just he's in the unfortunate position of having to wait for Edgar/Maynard rematch' date=' and then Pettis to get his turn. Maybe Sean Sherk in the meantime?[/quote']

Id love to see Miller fight Melvin Guillard! Probably isn't going to happen though. Melvin was blabbin about wanting a title shot after he took out Dunham, and Miller obviously has his own impressive win streak.

Id love to see Miller fight Melvin Guillard! Probably isn't going to happen though. Melvin was blabbin about wanting a title shot after he took out Dunham' date=' and Miller obviously has his own impressive win streak.[/quote']

Id love to see Miller/Guillard and i would have said Miller/G-Sot if he hadnt lost to Siver.

Siver i dont rate at all.

Edgar defends his title against Maynard.

Pettis fights Guida.

Winners of both those fights meet for the title.

Give Miller the loser of the Edgar/Maynard rematch. They're the only guys to have beaten him, so a rematch against either one is a chance to redeem one of his two losses, and prove he can compete with guys the UFC considers to be among the top 5 in the division.

Id love to see Miller fight Melvin Guillard! Probably isn't going to happen though. Melvin was blabbin about wanting a title shot after he took out Dunham' date=' and Miller obviously has his own impressive win streak.[/quote']

That would be an awesome fight! but as a Guillard fan i would be very nervous because Miller has great JJ and Guillard's sub defense hasn't been the best in the past.

Who at the top has Guida been fighting on this winning streak' date=' exactly? Shannon Gugerty? Rafael Dos Anjos? A washed up Takanori Gomi?[/quote']

It's not just his win streak, he's been fighting some of the best guys for two years now.

Split Decision loss in a helluva fight with Sanchez, then gets subbed by Florian. Before that he won a very close decision over Diaz. Goes to Greg Jackson's and now he's got better striking (broke Dos Anjos' jaw!) and has forced three guys in a row to tap. Gugerty isn't a huge win to write home about, but Dos Anjos is one of the guys somewhere between middle pack and the broad contender group. Gomi is far from washed up. When was the last time someone KOd Tyson Griffin? Gomi may not be one of the absolute best LWs in the world anymore, but 'washed up' is far from the truth. He's still a dangerous fighter.

Guida has been competing with top guys, while Miller's been winning over mid-level talent. Last time Miller faced a top LW he lost a decision to Pray Maynard.

Given who each guy has been fighting, I don't think Miller has shown he can handle top guys. That's more Joe Silva and Dana's fault thatn Miller's....but Guida at least has been fighting amongst the contenders and deserves a chance at the belt if he beats Pettis.

If Miller can get past Guillard' date=' Sherk, Guida, Pettis, or Siver, he needs a title shot.[/quote']

This... and at the end of the day, he's such a hard worker and is beating who's put in front of him, so he's got to get it eventually :)

It's not just his win streak' date=' he's been fighting some of the best guys for two years now.[/quote']

Yes, and losing. He was 5-5 before his winning streak. So he gets credit for having faced and lost to more top guys than Miller has faced and lost to? Gomi is still his best win on this streak, and yes, Gomi is washed up. Landing one hard punch on Griffin shows he can still hit hard if he lands, it doesn't mean he's still a top fighter. He's lost 4 of 7 fights, and it's not like it was a run of top-five opposition.

Archived