Will the LHW belt stay put now? My guess is absolutely unless Anderson steps in.

claudiorebelo

Besides Anderson Silva I don't see anyone with the tools set capable of posing a thread to Jones reign.

Of course with these small gloves everything is possible but I can't picture a current LHW able to take it from Jones.

IMO Machida looks like the one with the highest chances, leaps in quickly and has great (underrated) wrestling skills. But still the odds don't look too good and he's far away from a title shot.

The UFC shouldn't waste precious time: Jones vs Silva @205 by the end of the year.

I think the only people who stand a chance at beating Jones are Anderson and Phil Davis. Anderson, cause he's on another level to everyone and has a decent reach himself. Phil Davis? He only has a 5 inch reach disadvantage where as most others have had 10 - 12 inches. Phil Davis has some of the best wrestling in the division, good enough to nutralise Jones' wrestling IMO.

Anderson vs Jones:

Striking - Anderson

Clinch - Anderson

Ground - Jones big time

Phil Davis:

Striking - Jones

Clinch - Jones

Ground - Davis/Jones

Jones has a better chance at Davis, but don't be suprised if you saw Bones on his back for the 1st time in his career.

I think the only people who stand a chance at beating Jones are Anderson and Phil Davis. Anderson' date=' cause he's on another level to everyone and has a decent reach himself. Phil Davis? He only has a 5 inch reach disadvantage where as most others have had 10 - 12 inches. Phil Davis has some of the best wrestling in the division, good enough to nutralise Jones' wrestling IMO.

Anderson vs Jones:

Striking - Anderson

Clinch - Anderson

Ground - Jones big time

Phil Davis:

Striking - Jones

Clinch - Jones

Ground - Davis/Jones

Jones has a better chance at Davis, but don't be suprised if you saw Bones on his back for the 1st time in his career.[/quote']

Good picks, Phil should mature a little more before making his attempt but he's definitely a guy with the physical tools and wrestling skills to go for it in the near future.

Good picks' date=' Phil should mature a little more before making his attempt but he's definitely a guy with the physical tools and wrestling skills to go for it in the near future.[/quote']

Oh yeah of course, i say give him 3 more fights maybe? And if he dominates all of them like he has done in the past and gets some legit striking (not taking his focus off of his wrestling), then give him a crack at Jon Jones.

Besides Anderson Silva I don't see anyone with the tools set capable of posing a thread to Jones reign.

Of course with these small gloves everything is possible but I can't picture a current LHW able to take it from Jones.

IMO Machida looks like the one with the highest chances' date=' leaps in quickly and has great (underrated) wrestling skills. But still the odds don't look to good and he's far away from a title shot.

The UFC shouldn't waste precious time: Jones vs Silva @205 by the end of the year.[/quote']

lol at anderson silva, anderson silva will have a hard time beating any good wrestler

I'm a far bigger Anderson fan than Bones, but seriously....... silva can't beat bones.

I hate to say it, but silva has no spawl, no tdd, and bones is a great wrestler. Maybe a sub is possible, I think Jones sub def is highly suspect at this point, but bones elbows and punches are miles better than sonnens. My boy silva wouldn't last long enough to pull one off. : /

In truth, I think evans has the best chance right now. He knows his weaknesses, and at least has some experience vs the reach, which I think is a huge factor for guys who wanna take on jones. When Cain was training for the title, he wrestled guys lesnar size, I think you have to mimic your opponent to learn how to deal with their advantage, for jones it's clearly that insane reach.

Evans is faster, and can wrestle, unfortunately that will make for an awful fight. But I can't see him wanting to trade. Bones will probably win, but evans tactic will be interesting to watch, and very telling for other challengers.

I would very much like to see Davis fight for the title, that would be a great fight imo. I think he needs some more confidence though, they haven't hyped him at all, and as much as we hate it, the fighter has to believe they can win.

jones has never been punched or pressured. so as soon as someone who can do either of those comes along it'll be passed.... i'd love for rampage to ko jones

Watch some of his old fights. He's taken some big shots.

Rampage won't do **** Jones.

Anderson is my fav fighter but there's no way he beats Jones unless he pulls off some crazy **** like against Vitor and he would have to do it immediately. Otherwise, he will just get taken down and beat the **** up. With that said...he still is Anderson so it's possible, just not realistic.

It's funny seeing people talk about how Jones is the "real deal" now after beating Shogun. Jon Jones was good enough to beat everyone he has faced since he fought Bonner. He will be the light heavy weight champ until he fights someone like Cain Velasquez.

IMO Machida looks like the one with the highest chances' date=' leaps in quickly and has great (underrated) wrestling skills. But still the odds don't look too good and he's far away from a title shot.

The UFC shouldn't waste precious time: Jones vs Silva @205 by the end of the year.[/quote']

You bring good points but you can't argue with the fact that also Rampage could catch him. Unfortunately, given the range advantage of Jones and his wrestling, it's pretty unlikely. One can hope tho...

IMO Machida looks like the one with the highest chances' date=' leaps in quickly and has great (underrated) wrestling skills. But still the odds don't look too good and he's far away from a title shot.

you honestly think anderson silva could beat jon jones?!

this is nut hugging on a whole new level

you honestly think anderson silva could beat jon jones?!

this is nut hugging on a whole new level

I think he would be much more competitive than any one else. And it would be the biggest fight in MMA history.

Maybe Jones would be the favorite but to say Anderson doesn't stand a chance is ignoring the laws of physics.

BTW if you read the thread carefully and then read your post it's clear who's the nut hugger.

The last time I thought someone was this unstoppable was after Lesnar hammered Mir. Jones has shown more proof of being unstoppable but my point is with this sport comes alot of surprises. I know very few would give Rampage a shot at this guy but I think he could pull it off. I think it is unlikely he would given he doesn't have the drive to do what needs to be done to give him a good shot at winning but I believe Rampage has the durability to get inside of Jones' reach, the experience, the strength, and the one punch ko power. Again, I don't believe he would be likely to win but I believe he has a better chance than many of the others suggested.

Silva is going to have a hard time with Jones' wrestling and as said before may be out before he can pull of a submission. It would seem Jones is susceptible to submissions but he's powered out of those thrown at him thus far.

Sorry Shady' date='but Bones is the reason Anderson will stay put.You,myself and everybody knows it.This guy is the new benchmark,and he will most likely be the only one to hold lhw and hw titles.[/quote']

He could be, but he won't hold them both at the same time, Forrest is coming like a locomotive for his belt, and he'll take it.

Silva is my fav fighter and Jones is 3rd behind JDS and I think that Jones will be able to beat Silva. Jones is like a complete Silva with lesser striking. He really has almost no weaknesses. I think he will be the most dominant LHW champ like Silva was for MW and maybe move up to HW. Just my opinion.

It's the truth. Silva is a man among boys at LHW and MW.

Jones is THAT good. Anderson is still better.

I don't see anyone outside of Anderson's sniper striking, his guard, and cardio (yes despite the age difference). Big (205 lbs) Anderson is a whole different monster, as was seen against his two stints at LHW.

Anderson, especially big Anderson is the greatest striker in MMA history, period. From a basics stand-point, perhaps Shogun can beat Anderson on a Sports-Science show. But when it's game time no one has or perhaps ever will be able to pull Anderson Silva caliber pinpoint striking, counter-striking and octagon control.

And Rashad (not the greatest cardio either after 2 round) has some secret weapon? What's his secret weapon?

Rashad's running takedowns aren't impressive because he can't hold (good) fighters down to establish any sort of mount, let alone any GnP. What is it - duck and weave through JBJ's striking and catch him with a hook. Let JBJ take him down and exploit some grappling weakness on the ground? --- I don't see it.

Forrest...would get out-muscled, taken down and GnP'ed and hit (with force), repeatedly. Lose by TKO or brutal damage.

Rampage - maybe if he gave a $hit and was force trained, but he's happy getting big paychecks and hitting the gym and cutting weight. I think he'll have a tough time against Hammil.

Machida - slight maybe, if he can gas him and elude damage JBJ punishing his legs (?) somehow, then find an opening and unload a 15 punch Machida flurry to rock and finish him.

Shogun - Two heavy strikes in the opening minute took away his striking ability (according to Ninja)?

It's 36 y.o. Big Anderson or JBJ owns the division.

I would like to see Silva hold two belts and go out in glory, and he's got the best shot of any fighter (outside of Aldo) ATM to do it.

A lot of you simply don't understand what really makes a great fighter. You go by records, and by skill set, but you forget about what a fighter has shown in his character while fighting. Anderson Silva would give Jones one hell of a fight. I think Jones would still win, but he would not destroy Anderson. Anderson has proven to be one of the few fighters if not the only fighter to really create on the fly to reach success. He would find ways around the advantages Jones has over him, sadly I don't think it'd be enough but the point is he would not get dominated.

Archived