Do you hate Jon Jones? If so, why?

Skywalk

Everyone has their reasons for loving or hating a fighter and we all know that over time people have aligned themselves for or against the sport's biggest names in MMA for a variety of reasons, most being legitimate.

People hate GSP because he doesn't finish fights (entertain).

People hate Brock Lesnar because he didn't earn his title shot.

People hate Brock Lesnar because he was from an illegitimate sport (WWE).

People hate Rampage because he went into acting.

All of these reasons have legitimacy to an extent whether it is something to hold against them as a UFC fighter is another thing, but reasons are reasons.

I want to hear reasons why people hate Jon Jones. The only I've heard so far is because of the hype (which he has NOW proven is true) and the second because he's "****y".

I find the "****y" excuses are used against anyone who doesn't give the robotic response congratulating their opponents and coaches and saying anything can happen and that they aren't better than any other fighter.

Many fighters have spoke out against this fighter's "etiquette". It deprives fighters of a genuine personality and makes the fight less interesting. A lot of people need to come to terms with the fact that fighters need to and SHOULD say anything that puts them in the right state of mind mentally for a fight and if being confident (or ****y even) is what makes Jones "show up" for a fight, he needs to continue to be this way because when it all comes down to it, this is a FIGHT. Fighting itself, is "barbaric" and of an "uncivilized" manner. You can't spill that kind of blood and hurt your opponent in the way these fighters do and expect them to hypocritically come out of the fight saying that they mean well and think they aren't better than the person they just brutalized. [except if you're GSP who doesn't hurt his opponents, that's the reason he's able to go around with such a well-mannered nature]

In fact, people that are against fighters being confident (or even ****y) must be borderline retarded... or it's just a sham excuse to hate a fighter who you wouldn't otherwise...

Anyway, discuss please :P

Also, an example:

Do I hate Chael Sonnen because of the way he trash talked Anderson Silva and affiliates leading up to the fight?

No, I like Chael Sonnen in that I would root for him if he was in any other division than my favorite fighter. I feel that Chael Sonnen is extremely intelligent and if "talking trash" sells his fights and makes him fight more competitively by bringing the mental advantage into the fight, he needs to continue to do that.

He undeniably got into Silva's head and it nearly worked out for him. Sonnen has the right mindset of beating your opponent mentally before ever entering the cage and doing it against someone of Silva's calibur is commendable.

Likewise, I felt Jones really did get into Shogun's head with his overwhelming confidence and the coincidentally with the odds that were in place before the fight. I felt if he would have respected Shogun and spoke verbally against the Odds as him being a favorite then Shogun would've came into the octagon with more confidence and perhaps things would have been more competitive...

i am a huge jones fan......alwasy have been since i first saw him fight...got nuttin but respect for him....he does not do much trash talkin, he is confident and believes in himself but does not cross over to being ****y....well maybee a little.but hey...what is he supposed to do..play it down and not act like the best fighter at 205.....no...you have to have the right mind set to be a champ as well.

In every interview and fight i have seens jones in he seems like a very down to earth guy...all i can say is i remember what sh#thead i was at 23...so if he messes up a little....give him a break...he is only 23 and had lots to learn about life and being a champ...but so far i think he shows all the qualities a champ should have.

According to TheTerribleWilliamson' date=' the only reason that anyone dislikes Jones is because he's black. Apparently there are [b']NO[/b] other valid reasons. Everyone who says otherwise in this thread is lying.

I have no legitimate reason to hate Jones. In fact, I love watching him fight but..., the whole choir boy persona he puts on is just ****ing annoying. I guess it's not even a persona, it's who he is. So I don't like him as a person because he's extremely ****y but, I like him as a fighter because he is amazing. Wait...

I'm lying, I don't like him because he's black. Good call TW.

I believe Jon is fake. That is why i dislike him.

Can you delve into your thoughts of him being "fake"? I don't remember him claiming anything that was untrue or that would make him fake. Are you referring to his mannerisms? Are you offended by the fact that he's not only a great fighter, but also intelligent and very articulate as well. I don't mean to "jump all over you", but I'm curious as to how you could deem him any less genuine than any other fighter.

If you haven't noticed most fighters give the cookie cutter responses because of this fighter's etiquette I briefly mentioned. However, if this isn't what you had in mind when you called him fake... I'll await your response.

Can you delve into your thoughts of him being "fake"? I don't remember him claiming anything that was untrue or that would make him fake. Are you referring to his mannerisms? Are you offended by the fact that he's not only a great fighter' date=' but also intelligent and very articulate as well. I don't mean to "jump all over you", but I'm curious as to how you could deem him any less genuine than any other fighter.

If you haven't noticed most fighters give the cookie cutter responses because of this fighter's etiquette I briefly mentioned. However, if this isn't what you had in mind when you called him fake... I'll await your response.[/quote']

I understand the criticism that the guy is trying to make. Jon Jones has always marketed himself as this humble, respectful, down to earth and friendly guy, yet he occasionally makes statements or acts in a certain way which makes him seem arrogant, ****y or disrespectful. People aren't hating him BECAUSE of the arrogance or ****iness, it's just because he markets himself as some kind of saint when deep down he looks like he may in fact be a very different kind of person.

Personally it doesn't bother me too much but I can see why people criticise him for it.

Hate may be a strong word, but I certainly dislike Jones very strongly.

My reasoning is that he really goes right up to the very edge of what is legal for striking. His elbows have gotten him 1 DQ loss, and I haven't found a good replay yet of an elbow that started his TKO combo which seemed to hit the back of Shogun's head. His knee and kick when Shogun was grounded and rising bothers me.

He is throwing attacks without a single amount of hesitation that may permanently cause harm to another fighter. Sure, you can try to say that of all strikes in MMA, but when he's pushing the very limit of the legal rules like this, I don't like the guy.

I understand the criticism that the guy is trying to make. Jon Jones has always marketed himself as this humble' date=' respectful, down to earth and friendly guy, yet he occasionally makes statements or acts in a certain way which makes him seem arrogant, ****y or disrespectful. People aren't hating him BECAUSE of the arrogance or ****iness, it's just because he markets himself as some kind of saint when deep down he looks like he may in fact be a very different kind of person.

Personally it doesn't bother me too much but I can see why people criticism him for it.[/quote']

Yes, I suppose I can see the legitimacy in that claim, but only to an extent. He was very humble as anyone else would be just coming into the sport, but his success has bred confidence and so has his following. He's still very young and you can tell he makes an honest effort to stay level headed. He was already dispelling the "era" talk and attributing his success to his faith, his coaching, his confidence and hard work. I don't know how he could better express himself and he did so very well considering the emotions that HAD to have been overwhelming him.

I know he handled becoming the top fighter a lot more modestly than I would have...

I think the confidence that fighters get is what fuel their winning streaks.

Hate may be a strong word' date=' but I certainly dislike Jones very strongly.

My reasoning is that he really goes right up to the very edge of what is legal for striking. His elbows have gotten him 1 DQ loss, and I haven't found a good replay yet of an elbow that started his TKO combo which seemed to hit the back of Shogun's head. His knee and kick when Shogun was grounded and rising bothers me.

He is throwing attacks without a single amount of hesitation that may permanently cause harm to another fighter. Sure, you can try to say that of all strikes in MMA, but when he's pushing the very limit of the legal rules like this, I don't like the guy.[/quote']

Ok, you don't like Jon Jones because he's too dangerous for MMA... There's referees in there for a reason. He just goes out and fights. It's a fight, he's not out there to be a nice guy. Are you serious?

You must be a GSP fan because it sounds like if you had it your way every fight would go to decision since you want an opponent to control another in such a fashion that no one is hurt. Go watch wrestling or better yet Hello Kitty Make-Over.

rofl what he said

And you hate Jon Jones because he's using his size, which he can't help, to his advantage. Also, denying he has skills is ridiculous.

Im not a fan of Jones it doesn't mean I don't like him he is a great fighter with great abilities but I dont know I was never a Jones fan. I admire what he has done in the UFC I just never became a fan. I guess its just something you feel when you see a fighter fight for the first time I don't know its weird.

And you hate Jon Jones because he's using his size' date=' which he can't help, to his advantage. Also, denying he has skills is ridiculous.[/quote']

Half the stuff he does would not work for a normal sized lhw. If he were of average lhw size doing those same things he'd be in trouble.

Half the stuff he does would not work for a normal sized lhw. If he were of average lhw size doing those same things he'd be in trouble.

Well, there's no way to argue that point. He is the size he is and that's the way he was born. If you're going to hate a person for the way they're born, then you're no better than a racist.

Also, when I wrestled in high school, I was successful because I looked at my proportions as an advantage regardless of my opponent. If they were longer than me, I was stronger than them, if they were stockier than me, I had more endurance. That's the mind-set I entered the match with and it worked out pretty well for me.

All of these guys are weighing in at 205lbs. If they have a disadvantage in height or reach, there must be some other advantage they have. Whether they can use that to exploit Jon Jones is another thing. That's where his skill and his fitness come into play.

Ok' date=' you don't like Jon Jones because he's too dangerous for MMA... There's referees in there for a reason. He just goes out and fights. It's a fight, he's not out there to be a nice guy. Are you serious?

You must be a GSP fan because it sounds like if you had it your way every fight would go to decision since you want an opponent to control another in such a fashion that no one is hurt. Go watch wrestling or better yet Hello Kitty Make-Over.[/quote']

The problem is he 'just goes out and fights'. He's not fighting with any concern for fighting within the rules. The rules are there for a reason, to protect fighters from serious injuries that could maim them and also to ensure good sportsmanship. I love watching fights and seeing guys get subbed or knocked out. I do NOT like seeing guys throwing dirty, and that's what Bones tends to somewhat do.

The problem is he 'just goes out and fights'. He's not fighting with any concern for fighting within the rules. The rules are there for a reason' date=' to protect fighters from serious injuries that could maim them and also to ensure good sportsmanship. I love watching fights and seeing guys get subbed or knocked out. I do NOT like seeing guys throwing dirty, and that's what Bones tends to somewhat do.[/quote']

I think in nearly every fight there are "near-misses" to legality. The fact that you're pointing them out as a reason to hate Jon Jones is nit-picking. The referees are there to prevent that. It's not as though he goes out and tries to fight dirty. Also, it's not as though he's not already in a good position to strike cleanly when he may reach the "border". His job is to end fights, to dominate fights and he does it well. To me, this is the most ridiculous reason to hate someone. The time he did strike illegally, he took the decision respectfully and he changed his way of striking since. I can't see how you can go as far as calling him a dirty fighter.

In hindsight, there are a lot of things that happen in fights that are called illegal after the fact (i.e. Cain flooring Brock with a strike to the back of the head). While it's true that fighters know not to throw illegal blows, most are more concerned with ending the fight and defending themselves than considering the welfare of the other fighter, that's the referee's job. Also, it's not like he doesn't take it and understand. He took two blatantly illegal up-kicks from Vera and stayed in the fight. If he can still be respectful to someone that struck him illegally twice, I think you can have respect for someone that has struck someone (not you) illegally on one occasion and has changed his technique since.

When I wrestled, the way I "showed up" to wrestle is that I found a reason to have contempt for my opponent, a reason for why I deserved the win more and why I should despise them for attempting to take it away from me. I assume a lot of competitors rationalize similarly.

Do you hate Jon Jones? If so' date=' why?[/quote']

They hate him for the same reason they hate Rashad Evans, because he's black articulate and confident. If you want here's an easy test to prove it's true ask 99% of the hicks who hate Jones how they feel about like Sonnen and they'll tell you they think he's great...the reason they think he's great is because he's a backwards homophobic racist d-bag just like they are.

I think I'm starting to understand you TTW, sadly. None of the excuses so far are even legitimate.

He's fake because he follows fighter etiquette like 90% of the other fighters.

He's too big... but he makes 205 like everyone else. Shogun said in the interview where he said "of course I can knock him out" that everyone at the LHW are all heavyweights cutting down, himself inclusive.

Also, he claimed he could knock out Jones, but Jones claiming he'll win was too ****y?

Next reason, he doesn't care about the welfare of his opponent in a FIGHT... Do you realize that these guys are legitimately trying to hurt each other to the point where they can't continue to fight. that is the objective, if you don't like that don't watch UFC...

last reason, he doesn't have skill? How much more skill can you show with evasion, take downs, spinning back kicks/fists/elbows and out-striking your opponent 11 to 1. Must he meditate and use the "force" in his next fight to win you over?

He can't help his size and he uses it to his advantage and makes the 205 weight comfortably. The reasons thus far have been ridiculous and I'm starting to agree with TTW because it seems like you're all grasping at straws here.

Can you delve into your thoughts of him being "fake"? I don't remember him claiming anything that was untrue or that would make him fake. Are you referring to his mannerisms? Are you offended by the fact that he's not only a great fighter' date=' but also intelligent and very articulate as well. I don't mean to "jump all over you", but I'm curious as to how you could deem him any less genuine than any other fighter.

If you haven't noticed most fighters give the cookie cutter responses because of this fighter's etiquette I briefly mentioned. However, if this isn't what you had in mind when you called him fake... I'll await your response.[/quote']

I believe the way he carries himself is fake i believe his whole GSP attitude is bull ****. He has more chael sonnen in him than gsp and that is what annoys me. Brock lesnar is a prick but atleast he doesn't try to hide it.

He is a great fighter, but i hate him for peoples opinions of him.

Its like everyone here are trolls or they just watched their first MMA event yesterday.

Everyone is thinking that Jones is unstoppable god now. He just had perfect style against Shogun.

Jones has weknesses, but people havent seen them yet...

Just like Machida. He had weaknesses even tho it didnt seem like it when he won the title.

I see Rashad having good change beating Jones and i think Machida would have a huge change of beating Jones

I believe the way he carries himself is fake i believe his whole GSP attitude is bull ****. He has more chael sonnen in him than gsp and that is what annoys me. Brock lesnar is a prick but atleast he doesn't try to hide it.

People have to put on a different persona when the go to work. That's life. You think the waiters/waitresses or clerks that greet you at stores and restaurants are as cheery and helpful as they are outside of work. Hell no! They just use the proper etiquette to be appropriate in their place of work. Jon Jones and most fighters aren't different. I think it's shows that he's civil to be able to know and practice that difference. He is conducting himself in a manner that is respectful for the sport and being a positive role model for the children that are growing up watching him and perhaps aspiring to have a future in MMA. Just because you feel as though he's different, doesn't mean he is AND even if he is.... he's just doing his job...

We've all had to hold our tongues at some point in life. It's a good thing to learn. If he was acting "his ****y self" you'd hear the WWE debate. So far, it's damned if you don't, damned if you do. I think his road is at least taking the legitimacy away from hates and I bet you're upset with that, aren't you?

He is a great fighter' date=' but i hate him for peoples opinions of him.

Its like everyone here are trolls or they just watched their first MMA event yesterday.

Everyone is thinking that Jones is unstoppable god now. He just had perfect style against Shogun.

Just like Machida. He had weaknesses even tho it didnt seem like it when he won the title.

I see Rashad having good change beating Jones and i think Machida would have a huge change of beating Jones[/quote']

one thing i hate more than a follower, is someone who goes against the grain to be pretentious.

making your opinion up, based off other peoples opinions...weak.

Look, I like Jones a lot. His fights are very exciting. and i think his ****eyness is overblown, he doesnt bring his opponents down, but brings himself up in his pre fight banter.

He is a great fighter' date=' but i hate him for peoples opinions of him.

I see Rashad having good change beating Jones and i think Machida would have a huge change of beating Jones[/quote']

Ok, this is a legitimate reason. I admit I hated Shogun and GSP for awhile because of their obnoxious fans. I just wanted them to lose not because of their personality or fighting style, but just to shut the fans up. I also agree that Rashad stands a very realistic shot of beating Jon Jones. If he was completely shut-out training with him, he wouldn't want the title shot because he'd just make a fool out of him and lose his training partners like his has, for nothing. I don't believe Rashad is an idiot.

I think I'm starting to understand you TTW' date=' sadly. None of the excuses so far are even legitimate.

He's too big... but he makes 205 like everyone else. Shogun said in the interview where he said "of course I can knock him out" that everyone at the LHW are all heavyweights cutting down, himself inclusive.

Also, he claimed he could knock out Jones, but Jones claiming he'll win was too ****y?

Next reason, he doesn't care about the welfare of his opponent in a FIGHT... Do you realize that these guys are legitimately trying to hurt each other to the point where they can't continue to fight. that is the objective, if you don't like that don't watch UFC...

last reason, he doesn't have skill? How much more skill can you show with evasion, take downs, spinning back kicks/fists/elbows and out-striking your opponent 11 to 1. Must he meditate and use the "force" in his next fight to win you over?

He can't help his size and he uses it to his advantage and makes the 205 weight comfortably. The reasons thus far have been ridiculous and I'm starting to agree with TTW because it seems like you're all grasping at straws here.[/quote']

I doubt even Carwin or an Uber Knee could knock sense into these guys, my friend. Everything you typed is so clearly written and easy to understand, but many will argue.

According to TheTerribleWilliamson' date=' the only reason that anyone dislikes Jones is because he's black. Apparently there are [b']NO[/b] other valid reasons. Everyone who says otherwise in this thread is lying.

They hate him for the same reason they hate Rashad Evans' date=' because he's black articulate and confident. If you want here's an easy test to prove it's true ask 99% of the hicks who hate Jones how they feel about like Sonnen and they'll tell you they think he's great...the reason they think he's great is because he's a backwards homophobic racist d-bag just like they are.[/quote']

I just wanted to clarify that I called this.

I believe Jon is fake. That is why i dislike him.

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one I noticed that. He talks about his christian life SOOOOOOOOOOO much. But when he called Dana White and talked about how he chased down the criminal he was cursing quite a bit which is different from his normal Jesus talk. Also, he has done all sorts of things that seem inconsistent with his front.

This has become ridiculous. You don't like him because he puts on a publicly acceptable persona when in public. You must hate all politicians, actors, and pretty much every public speaker on the face of the Earth. Who is your example of someone that is the same both publicly and in their private life? If you don't like it, don't blame Jon Jones, blame the societal norms that have been instilled in you and everyone else that gets "offended" when they hear the word "****" see I can't even say it on this forum... My point proven...

People have to put on a different persona when the go to work. That's life. You think the waiters/waitresses or clerks that greet you at stores and restaurants are as cheery and helpful as they are outside of work. Hell no! They just use the proper etiquette to be appropriate in their place of work. Jon Jones and most fighters aren't different. I think it's shows that he's civil to be able to know and practice that difference. He is conducting himself in a manner that is respectful for the sport and being a positive role model for the children that are growing up watching him and perhaps aspiring to have a future in MMA. Just because you feel as though he's different' date=' doesn't mean he is AND even if he is.... he's just doing his job...

We've all had to hold our tongues at some point in life. It's a good thing to learn. If he was acting "his ****y self" you'd hear the WWE debate. So far, it's damned if you don't, damned if you do. I think his road is at least taking the legitimacy away from hates and I bet you're upset with that, aren't you?[/quote']

I agree that jon would have less fans if he acted his true arrogant self but i would like him alot more. But i will never be a fan of his i am sure you know the feeling when you dislike someone but just can put a finger on why.

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one I noticed that. He talks about his christian life SOOOOOOOOOOO much. But when he called Dana White and talked about how he chased down the criminal he was cursing quite a bit which is different from his normal Jesus talk. Also' date=' he has done all sorts of things that seem inconsistent with his front.[/quote']

Oh he cursed! Oh my! How awful!

Matt Hughes is a Jesus freak crackpot but he swears too and he's a racist too but I bet you love his hillybilly *** don't you :)

34e7v5l.jpg

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/78974-matt-hughes-engulfed-in-scandal-from-racist-t-shirt-photo

I agree that jon would have less fans if he acted his true arrogant self but i would like him alot more. But i will never be a fan of his i am sure you know the feeling when you dislike someone but just can put a finger on why.

No I don't, but I know the term(s). It's coined jealousy or prejudice (not necessarily racial). Irrational hatred or anger is dangerous and unhealthy. I suggest that you find a way to rid yourself of it. You'll find that you're life is much more fruitful if you do. This is probably the same reason most guys despise Justin Bieber. While I don't listen to his music, I can't hate him for taking advantage of a situation that I myself would have if the opportunity had arose.

None of the excuses so far are even legitimate.

He's too big... but he makes 205 like everyone else. Shogun said in the interview where he said "of course I can knock him out" that everyone at the LHW are all heavyweights cutting down' date=' himself inclusive.

He can't help his size and he uses it to his advantage and makes the 205 weight comfortably. The reasons thus far have been ridiculous and I'm starting to agree with TTW because it seems like you're all grasping at straws here.[/quote']

This was very well said BTW.

This has become ridiculous. You don't like him because he puts on a publicly acceptable persona when in public. You must hate all politicians' date=' actors, and pretty much every public speaker on the face of the Earth. Who is your example of someone that is the same both publicly and in their private life? If you don't like it, don't blame Jon Jones, blame the societal norms that have been instilled in you and everyone else that gets "offended" when they hear the word "****" see I can't even say it on this forum... My point proven...[/quote']

This. I have nothing against his persona or fighting style...

But i just cant stand the status fans are giving him at the moment.

And i can see a good counter striker with good tdd winning him

one thing i hate more than a follower' date=' is someone who goes against the grain to be pretentious.

making your opinion up, based off other peoples opinions...weak.

Look, I like Jones a lot. His fights are very exciting. and i think his ****eyness is overblown, he doesnt bring his opponents down, but brings himself up in his pre fight banter.[/quote']

well i hope i didnt hurt your feelings

No I don't' date=' but I know the term(s). It's coined jealousy or prejudice (not necessarily racial). Irrational hatred or anger is dangerous and unhealthy. I suggest that you find a way to rid yourself of it. You'll find that you're life is much more fruitful if you do. This is probably the same reason most guys despise Justin Bieber. While I don't listen to his music, I can't hate him for taking advantage of a situation that I myself would have if the opportunity had arose.[/quote']

People make their minds up about other people within seconds of meeting them, i have given jon alot more time but over the past few years of watching his interviews i have come to the conclusion that i dislike because he is fake. But that isn't the only reason i dislike but as i said i cant put my finger on why he rubs me up the wrong way. But as a human being you cant claim that you have never met someone who you didn't like and didn't exactly know why unless of course you grew up in the same town as the waltons.

People make their minds up about other people within seconds of meeting them' date=' i have given jon alot more time but over the past few years of watching his interviews i have come to the conclusion that i dislike because he is fake. But that isn't the only reason i dislike but as i said i cant put my finger on why he rubs me up the wrong way. But as a human being you cant claim that you have never met someone who you didn't like and didn't exactly know why unless of course you grew up in the same town as the waltons.[/quote']

I suppose we're all raised differently. I'll admit it's harder for people to naturally not have prejudice against someone, especially in today's educational climate. When I was younger my friends and I were making fun of a kid because he didn't speak English properly and it wasn't until my older brother scolded me and put it into perspective that I even realized I was being prejudice and intolerant. Since then, I've really taken the extra step to get to know someone or a situation before making a judgment on it even if my natural instinct was to fear it because it's different. With practice, I can say I've changed for the better and fortunately with me, it happened early in life.

This has become ridiculous. You don't like him because he puts on a publicly acceptable persona when in public. You must hate all politicians' date=' actors, and pretty much every public speaker on the face of the Earth. Who is your example of someone that is the same both publicly and in their private life? If you don't like it, don't blame Jon Jones, blame the societal norms that have been instilled in you and everyone else that gets "offended" when they hear the word "****" see I can't even say it on this forum... My point proven...[/quote']

^^^Are you seriously trying to equate and justify a politician being fake with a fighter being fake?? Seriously?? Its not cool to be fake and everybody knows that...so don't try and make it okay...

The difference is, he is NOT a politician or actor. He doesn't need to put on a front being a fighter, but he does anyway. I am not offended by the cursing at all. I curse quite a bit ha, but he just seems extremely fake. What's the purpose of acting like a Jesus freak in front of the camera and not really being one?? Nobody knows... You guys remember the interview with Ariel that Jones did when Ariel mentioned the betting odds on his fight with Shogun?? Jon Jones randomly goes on talking about how its against his religion to gamble... Ariel was like 'I am not asking YOU to bet, I am just asking you about how you feel in regard to the betting odds'. Anyway, I don't think an unmarried guy with kids, and a ****y attitude is the same as the on-camera god fearing christian.

^^^Are you seriously trying to equate and justify a politician being fake with a fighter being fake?? Seriously?? Its not cool to be fake and everybody knows that...so don't try and make it okay...

The difference is' date=' he is NOT a politician or actor. He doesn't need to put on a front being a fighter, but he does anyway. I am not offended by the cursing at all. I curse quite a bit ha, but he just seems extremely fake. What's the purpose of acting like a Jesus freak in front of the camera and not really being one?? Nobody knows... You guys remember the interview with Ariel that Jones did when Ariel mentioned the betting odds on his fight with Shogun?? Jon Jones randomly goes on talking about how its against his religion to gamble... Ariel was like 'I am not asking YOU to bet, I am just asking you about how you feel in regard to the betting odds'. Anyway, I don't think an unmarried guy with kids, and a ****y attitude is the same as the on-camera god fearing christian.[/quote']

I think he does need this persona in order to have the public on his side. You can see how far being openly ****y gets Rashad Evans. Also, any intelligent man would realize that religion wins over the American public and until America elects an non-Christian president I'll stand by that claim.

Also, how you present yourself in public, in the view of children that may look up to you and develop your same ideals is important. If Jones was an avid smoker and drug user, you wouldn't want him to present himself as such because it'd encourage children to use those things to be like him. Likewise, if he was an advocate for gambling or fornification it may make children more susceptible to being involved with such behaviors. Furthermore, presenting controversy to a situation where it can easily be avoided just makes preparing himself for a fight, mentally, that much tougher.

I think in nearly every fight there are "near-misses" to legality. The fact that you're pointing them out as a reason to hate Jon Jones is nit-picking. The referees are there to prevent that. It's not as though he goes out and tries to fight dirty. Also' date=' it's not as though he's not already in a good position to strike cleanly when he may reach the "border". His job is to end fights, to dominate fights and he does it well. To me, this is the most ridiculous reason to hate someone. The time he did strike illegally, he took the decision respectfully and he changed his way of striking since. I can't see how you can go as far as calling him a dirty fighter.

In hindsight, there are a lot of things that happen in fights that are called illegal after the fact (i.e. Cain flooring Brock with a strike to the back of the head). While it's true that fighters know not to throw illegal blows, most are more concerned with ending the fight and defending themselves than considering the welfare of the other fighter, that's the referee's job. Also, it's not like he doesn't take it and understand. He took two blatantly illegal up-kicks from Vera and stayed in the fight. If he can still be respectful to someone that struck him illegally twice, I think you can have respect for someone that has struck someone (not you) illegally on one occasion and has changed his technique since.

When I wrestled, the way I "showed up" to wrestle is that [b']I found a reason to have contempt for my opponent, a reason for why I deserved the win more and why I should despise them for attempting to take it away from me. I assume a lot of competitors rationalize similarly[/b].

this before and during fights (bjj) i hate my oponent and will do anything (inside of the rulebook) to win but after the match i am respectfull to my oponent win or lose

Archived