just rewatched Jones vs Shogun

Furiousmat

And I gotta say that taking a second look on it took a bit of the might away... I mean.. Jones did have a great performance.

But I also feel that Shogun had a bad one.. dont get me wrong.. I'm nothing close to a real Shogun fan. I don't think he could've won this fight in any way. But in the 1st round eh was actually defending himself very decently from the bottom was keeping jones from doing too much damage and even managed to start getting up... Ok.. thats where it went wrong appearantly..

I think that knee to the body and that kick to the face just destroyed Shogun. It took his breath and rocked him. Jones won convingcingly. But looking at it again I wasn't so impressed with his striking. He had a couple good left hands and great leg kicks but most of the flashy stuff he threw just didn't work. He put himself at risk a couple times with spinning kicks and elbows, allowing Shogun to grab his back and stuff.. I think Jones will eventually get caught cuz he takes too many wild risks.

I really don't know how Shogun got so tired so quick but oh well.. I think Rashad will actually be a lot more competitive than Shogun cuz he will be putting pressure on Jones. Should be kinda interesting.

I think the layoff did take a toll on Shogun's performance. His next fight should be able to confirm.

But Jones did do amazing. Hopefully if Shogun does rebound, I would like to see a rematch just to see if it would be any more competitive or not.

EDIT: I also believed Shogun's strategy was completely terrible. "Try to beat Jones everywhere?" Are you kidding me? Shogun should have done what he does best and try to strike. I was literally yelling at the T.V. every time Shogun clinched with Jones.

personally I thought Jones' stand up was great... he took risks with his flashy stuff but his knees were devastating... a lot of people thought Jones would get creamed in the stand up and not only did he survive, but he was the one doing the damage in the feet... when I saw it, it made me realize that not only is his massive reach good for striking in general, but it makes his MT clinch almost unstoppable... the fact he can grab someones neck from that far away and be able to have that much distance to throw knees while grabbing on is what's going to make this kid a tall order for anyone to fight...

also, Shogun in the fight with Machida was able to be more liberal with strikes because he could rely on not being taken down... but with Jones he had to be a lot more conservative with his strikes, especially his leg kicks, because of the takedowns... I'm willing to beat Shogun will kick *** his next two fights, get another crack at Jones and will lose the exact same way... just like Rich Franklin against Silva...

EDIT: I also believed Shogun's strategy was completely terrible. "Try to beat Jones everywhere?" Are you kidding me? Shogun should have done what he does best and try to strike. I was literally yelling at the T.V. every time Shogun clinched with Jones.

to be honest I thought Shogun was looking very good off his back when he was fresh... I'd be willing to bet that if he trained up his BJJ with guys like Maia and Souza, he could snag that armbar if and when they fought next time...

Shogun got tired quickly is expected by me. First, ring rust, lay off for over a year, second, when recovering from knee surgery he can't do much Cardio work out.

Conditioning is the most important aspect of a warrior, since the time when our ancestor fight with swords, they need to able to swing continuously for a long time. Your don't want a huge warrior in the battle field who can't swing more than 50 times, gassed, then get slaughter.

In fact, they don't even do strength training, just conditioning and technical skills. Their strength came from daily hard labor.

I think Rashad will be a far tougher fight without a doubt. Honestly I think that was the same Shogun that fought Coleman and not the 100% Shogun but he still would not of won. He had no answer for how to negate Jones' wrestling and top control and at 100% he still wouldn't.

But it was his stand-up that didn't look right. He was so slow and sloppy, even in the first round. He was definately affected by the surgery. He cardio was awful.

I think Rashad has the formula to beat Jones, although will be difficult. I said from the beginning that Shogun need to fight like GSP to win, which mean all the way in, all the way out, and set up combo for TDs. Rashad is imitating that, and doing a good job, and he's illusive as well. Jones doing a lot of flashy moves that put him at risk. Rashad will learn to capitalize on that, plus he's his training partner, should know a few things to exploit. Jones still need to work on his head movement and footwork, in other words dodging.

he makes great fighters look bad.

Indeed Rua would put the rest of the division to sleep and Jones just wrecked the guy that's been considered the best at 205 for years. I think someone finally has the ability to defend the LHW title more than once now. I just can't see Machida, Rashad, Rampage or Phil Davis getting the job down. I'm not sure if Rogerio, Griffin, Thiago Silva and company should even be mentioned as opponents for Jones.

After Jones destroys a few more light heavies he should go train with Alistair on the horse meat/hgh diet and move to HW. I'm sure his brother could get some weight on him as well. I'd like to see him at HW but only if he weighed 245+

Indeed Rua would put the rest of the division to sleep and Jones just wrecked the guy that's been considered the best at 205 for years. I think someone finally has the ability to defend the LHW title more than once now. I just can't see Machida' date=' Rashad, Rampage or Phil Davis getting the job down. I'm not sure if Rogerio, Griffin, Thiago Silva and company should even be mentioned as opponents for Jones.

After Jones destroys a few more light heavies he should go train with Alistair on the horse meat/hgh diet and move to HW. I'm sure his brother could get some weight on him as well. I'd like to see him at HW but only if he weighed 245+[/quote']

Jones should be allowed to defend his LHW title 6-8+ times like Silva and GSP are allowed to before being pressured by the UFC and fans to move up to HW due to domination and lack of competition. It is way too early for Jones to move to HW, but it is definitely time for the move of GSP to MW and Anderson to LHW.

Jones should be allowed to defend his LHW title 6-8+ times like Silva and GSP are allowed to before being pressured by the UFC and fans to move up to HW due to domination and lack of competition. It is way too early for Jones to move to HW' date=' but it is definitely time for the move of GSP to MW and Anderson to LHW.[/quote']

I agree I'm just having a hard time picturing anyone beating him at 205 after the beating he gave Rua. I'll be surprised if Rashad makes it out of the first two rounds. A healthier and faster Rua would still lose unless he caught him with a big shot. Rampage's only shot would be a big right or possibly a left hook. He would get thrown around. Machida might be evasive enough to avoid fighting Jones somehow to point his way to a decision but I doubt it. Machida has good defensive wrestling though he matches up better than anyone else imo. Phil Davis needs more time but as he gets better so will Jones. Old man Couture would never wake up... hopefully he isn't able to wall and stall his way into a title shot because I don't want to see him killed inside a cage.

Archived