Jon Jones is the next fedor ... Heres How I Think

TheProffesor

Let me say this I AM NOT A BIG JON JONES FAN I LIKE HIM BUT AM NOT A FAN!!!

Style Wise : He has one of the best backgrounds greco roman he wrestled in high school and nobody has found a way to even put him in danger. Fedor was a heavy jiu jutsu based guy and he battered everyone messed them up and got his mainstream at age 27 They both were at a young age and both went through the same problem look down on the record part.

Record Wise : He has "mauled" if you will through Every person he has fought and i really dont see it changing any time soon, plus fedor got a DQ due to headbutt from the mount jones got it from elbow those losses can easily be overturned beacuse in the jones fight herb didnt even take a point from jones and the fight should have been stopped. fedor fight he got cut and they stopped it.

Thoughts.... Anyone :cool:

Style Wise : He has one of the best backgrounds greco roman he wrestled in high school and nobody has found a way to even put him in danger. Fedor was a heavy jiu jutsu based guy and he battered everyone messed them up and got his mainstream at age 27 They both were at a young age and both went through the same problem look down on the record part.

Record Wise : He has "mauled" if you will through Every person he has fought and i really dont see it changing any time soon' date=' plus fedor got a DQ due to headbutt from the mount jones got it from elbow those losses can easily be overturned beacuse in the jones fight herb didnt even take a point from jones and the fight should have been stopped. fedor fight he got cut and they stopped it.

Thoughts.... Anyone :cool:[/quote']

this part right here says "he hendo, dont read any more of this post cuz this guy doesnt know wtf hes talkin about"

Another 20 or so W's and we'll start talking about him being the next Fedor.

He is clearly one of th top fighters in the game today.

Yea, young gun who just reached the top... The goat who was undefeated for 10 years almost exclusively fighting larger opponents.

Fedor had 5-6 year run, then he quit being a fighter. He lived on his legacy with nut-huggers firmly latched on. That's how he totaled 30 wins without losing.

He may not go undefeated 30 in a row because he's in the UFC and a champion and has to fight best everytime... somewhere down the road he's going to face his equal or a superior fighter.

But he could become the G.O.A.T. without winning 30 in a row and a padded record.

Fedor had 5-6 year run' date=' then he quit being a fighter. [b']He lived on his legacy with nut-huggers firmly latched on. That's how he totaled 30 wins[/b] without losing.

He may not go undefeated 30 in a row because he's in the UFC and a champion and has to fight best everytime... somewhere down the road he's going to face his equal or a superior fighter.

But he could become the G.O.A.T. without winning 30 in a row and a padded record.

Pride was superior to the ufc when it existed. Fedor is the goat. How does one win fights off of their legacy? "Oh he legacied him into submission!" "Fedor by legacy!?" "Fedor, going for the legacy of his back... HE HAS IT!" He went undefeated for 10 years on skill, dedication and hard work, that's it.

I have to admit that I have my eye on Jones as the next Fedor too.

He is just that good.

But now he needs to get the fights in. Lots of phenoms out there' date=' but mostly they fall apart.

How many fighters even get 30 fights in a career, let alone 30W's?[/quote']

Jones needs to beat people bigger and stronger than him for 10 years straight to be compared to Fedor.

Record Wise : He has "mauled" if you will through Every person he has fought and i really dont see it changing any time soon' date=' plus fedor got a DQ due to headbutt from the mount jones got it from elbow those losses can easily be overturned beacuse in the jones fight herb didnt even take a point from jones and the fight should have been stopped. fedor fight he got cut and they stopped it.

Thoughts.... Anyone :cool:[/quote']

WRONG!!!!!

This is like saying Usain Bolt is the next Jesse Owens or Carl Lewis.

Yes, they were all the champions of their day, but that's where the similarity ends.

Like Bolt, Jones is/will be far superior than Fedor ever was.

It's just the way sports is. To make it to the top now you have to be better than those that came before.

No disrespect to Fedor, Jesse Owens, or Carl Lewis of course, but today's athletes are better trained and go through a tougher gauntlet of opponents to make it to the top.

Jon Jones would wreck Fedor right now.

And when Jon Jones reaches his prime he would wreck a prime Fedor, just like Owens and Lewis in their primes are no contest for Bolt today.

WRONG!!!!!

This is like saying Usain Bolt is the next Jesse Owens or Carl Lewis.

Yes' date=' they were all the champions of their day, but that's where the similarity ends.

[b']Like Bolt, Jones is/will be far superior than Fedor ever was.[/b]

It's just the way sports is. To make it to the top now you have to be better than those that came before.

No disrespect to Fedor, Jesse Owens, or Carl Lewis of course, but today's athletes are better trained and go through a tougher gauntlet of opponents to make it to the top.

Jon Jones would wreck Fedor right now.

And when Jon Jones reaches his prime he would wreck a prime Fedor, just like Owens and Lewis in their primes are no contest for Bolt today.

Oh wow you are retarded... He just won his first belt and your saying he's the greatest ever.

fedor now is in the wrong weight division, fedor needs to go on a diet and move down to LHW or MW. he is to small for HW these days. HW are to big and skilled for him.

jon jones made shogun look like he was in the wrong weight division

i think jon jones vs fedor in a LHW fight would make fedor look like he is to small and in the wrong weight division.

i would like to see him move down and fight jon jones, but will never happen. i dont think fedor will change weight or fight in UFC because he has the wrong management team.

but zuffa buying strikeforce gives a little hope

Oh wow you are retarded... He just won his first belt and your saying he's the greatest ever.

When you start with an insult, you prove you have no argument.

Which is true, having just won his first belt has nothing to do with whether he's the greatest ever or not. You can be the greatest ever before getting your first title shot. You can have a title a long time and still not be the greatest ever.

You should think more before you post.

UFChello is correct. I am the greatest fighter of all time and I don't need a championship belt' date=' a black belt, a UFC contract, a trophy, a fight, shorts, gloves or muscles to prove it because you don't need proof. It's like oxygen... you can't see it, but it's real.[/quote']

That last line is from a walk to remember.

Great movie.

Many have been the times when a fighter looked invincible, but then something happened.

At a certain moment in their careers the following fighters appeared to be unbeatable.

Jack Dempsey looked like Superman, but then faster dancing master Gene Tunney beat him twice. Sonny Liston looked like God until a faster Cassius Clay beat him.

BJ Penn looked like he had the LW division 'cleaned out', but then fast hands trumped heavy hands. Fedor looked invincible, but then lost twice in shocking upsets. Anderson Silva looked shockingly great until Chael Sonnen proved he was beatable.

Brock Lesnar looked like an unbeatable monster who inspired fear after the way he mauled Keith Herring and Frank Mir. But he fell off his pedestal fast when Carwin and Cain Valesquez showed he wasn't.

So, beware the idol worship. Many looked like God at certain moments, but things can change fast in sports.

Pride was superior to the ufc when it existed. Fedor is the goat. How does one win fights off of their legacy? "Oh he legacied him into submission!" "Fedor by legacy!?" "Fedor' date=' going for the legacy of his back... HE HAS IT!"[/b'] He went undefeated for 10 years on skill, dedication and hard work, that's it.

Nah he was the greatest for one generation in MMA (5-6 years) and has milked that legacy, padded his record. Really the ultimate tipping point for Fedor was Overeem V Cro Cop when he gets called out ring-side in DREAM, 2008 and beyond that's where his management really took over and screwed over fight fans. Now he's getting annihilated by a broodish Antonio Silva who I fully expect to once (if) he starts fighting top HWs.

• 2 weeks later...
Nah he was the greatest for one generation in MMA (5-6 years) and has milked that legacy' date=' padded his record. Really the ultimate tipping point for Fedor was Overeem V Cro Cop when he gets called out ring-side in DREAM, 2008 and beyond that's where his management really took over and screwed over fight fans. Now he's getting annihilated by a broodish Antonio Silva who I fully expect to once (if) he starts fighting top HWs.[/quote']

He won the first round, second round was mounted by a 280 pound bjj blackbelt, wasn't subbed or tko'd, his eye was swollen. Annihilated?

Ok, just going to throw this out there.

Jones will not go on a huge streak and become an absolute great at LHW for three reasons.

1) He showed in his fight against Rua that he puts way too much energy into rounds 1 and 2. By the third round Jones looked very tired but not quite gassed. He fights a guy like Griffin who tends to wear out guys, Jones will look bad.

2) Jones has a bad tendency to leave openings for submissions. Luckily for him, there aren't a lot of good subbers at LHW in the UFC. If you honestly look at the top guys, they're mostly striking. Jones gave up his back to Shogun several times, and in fights against Vera and others he's left his arms vulnerable while on top. If Lil Nog, Phil Davis, or Vera find an opening and pull a sub win now, Jones will never come near a Fedor legacy.

3) The LHW division is fiercely competitve and nobody has been holding the belt for long. Guys watch tape and learn and adapt, look at Rua's different game in the Machida rematch. Guys will look for the holes in Jones' game, prepare for them, and attack them. Jones will be lucky if he has a three title win streak.

That said, Jones is good and clearly knows how to use his size to his advantage and the real question will be how he rebounds when he loses. Let's not forget how reckless he has been with some attacks, more DQ losses might force him to change as much or more than being outworked.

I can see Jones pulling an Ubereem in the future. After he hits his "old man strength" I see him moving to HW. I heard that he cuts a lot of weight so I won't be surprised if he dominated the LHW division for 8+ years then move to HW to dominate there so that his frame is better suited and is healthier for his body. All he needs is to pack on some muscle and he's good to rule there. Not now though, but in the future.

Archived