There are only two people in the lhw division that stand a chance against Bones

apeman

After watching Bones dismantle Rua, only two fighters came to mind that would challenge him, two young fighters who bare resemblance to the champion in terms of strength, his physical frame and athleticism. Phil Davis is one of them, possibly stronger wrestling and just as athletic as Jones, maybe a little more explosive, with jujitsu is on a higher level. Phil Davis needs to get the fight to the ground because his striking isn't even close but in my eyes his jujitsu and wrestling outweighs Jones wrestling and jits.

The other fighter is Gustaffson who is just as tall and strong. The fight with Phil Davis showed he can stuff the take downs of possibly the most athletic wrestler in the division, but at that time he seemed to get tired and in his recent fights he seems to have solved the issue of fatigue by training with Phil Davis. Gustaffson is a far higher caliber striker then Bones, but nowhere near as creative, nevertheless nothing substitutes boxing when it comes to striking, and a fighter who has beaten a world champion boxer shouldn't be taken lightly.

The new generation of fighters are Phil Davis and Gustaffson, strong, tall and athletic, who look like Heavyweights dropping to LighHeavyweight just as Jon Bones Jones does, the like of Machida, Shogun, Evans, Matt Hamill, Brillz, etc, all seem to be Middleweights fighting as Lightheavyweights.

Your comments on whether you agree, disagree or you think am talking absolute crap, and who you think posses the largest threat to Bones.

The bit about Davis and the mauler training together was good to hear because they could both learn alot of each other. But neither could beat jones now (davis possibly could in a year). But there are other fighters in the lhw div who could beat jones and they are alot closer to a title shot than these two.

I agree jones' physique has a lot to do with his effectiveness in the octagon. It pure physics really. Longer limbs means bigger leverage. It helps him to fixate opponents and to hit them from funny angles at longer distance.

That said, his stand up technique is an almost moviestyle teenage mutant ninja turtle kind of fighting. Its fun to watch and pretty effective because he doesn't engage opponents in a way that they are used to. It throws people off balance. If I myself had to pick a fighter that I think could in theory handle that the best, it would be Lyoto Machida. His leaping in and out, counterstrike style of fighting really works best against guys like Jones. Machida would be fighting an uphill battle though, Jones physique is hard to deal with in a confined octagon.

The bit about Davis and the mauler training together was good to hear because they could both learn alot of each other. But neither could beat jones now (davis possibly could in a year). But there are other fighters in the lhw div who could beat jones and they are alot closer to a title shot than these two.

No im not talking about the title shot or whos closer, but the potential of these two fighters and i believe only these two have the tools to defeat Jones.

I agree jones' physique has a lot to do with his effectiveness in the octagon. It pure physics really. Longer limbs means bigger leverage. It helps him to fixate opponents and to hit them from funny angles at longer distance.

That said' date=' his stand up technique is an almost moviestyle teenage mutant ninja turtle kind of fighting. Its fun to watch and pretty effective because he doesn't engage opponents in a way that they are used to. It throws people off balance. If I myself had to pick a fighter that I think could in theory handle that the best, it would be Lyoto Machida. His leaping in and out, counterstrike style of fighting really works best against guys like Jones. Machida would be fighting an uphill battle though, Jones physique is hard to deal with in a confined octagon.[/quote']

yeah, machida could outpoint anybody if fights took place in an open field lol.

I dunno for gustaffson but I agree 100% about Davis.

I also agree that Machida looks like a MW. He should definitely try to work in the MW division.

Davis's a beast and I could actually see him defeating Bones. Let's wait.. I think 1 more win and Davis is gonna find himsel find himself right in the title picture. He's been very impressive so far. If he can outgrapple Nogueira he's right up there.

There is a 3rd Roger Gracie' date=' looking at the holes in jones game he has poor submission defense and Gracie would easily tap him out once the fight got to the mat only proplem is Gracie won't be in the UFC for at least 2 years.[/quote']

Roger was my third place, and i immediately thought Roger but his not in the ufc thats why i didn't choose him.

I dunno for gustaffson but I agree 100% about Davis.

I also agree that Machida looks like a MW. He should definitely try to work in the MW division.

Davis's a beast and I could actually see him defeating Bones. Let's wait.. I think 1 more win and Davis is gonna find himsel find himself right in the title picture. He's been very impressive so far. If he can outgrapple Nogueira he's right up there.

Why not Gustaffson, he is huge, his striking is top class, and he stuffed all of Phil Davis's take-downs also his Scandinavian.

The name that you are looking for is Anderson the Spider Silva! :cool:

No not Anderson, he will get destroyed, if Chael Sonnen can take him down and beat him for four and half rounds, then imagine what a stronger and taller fighter like Jones will do to him.

After watching Bones dismantle Rua' date=' only two fighters came to mind that would challenge him, two young fighters who bare resemblance to the champion in terms of strength, his physical frame and athleticism. Phil Davis is one of them, possibly stronger wrestling and just as athletic as Jones, maybe a little more explosive, with jujitsu is on a higher level. Phil Davis needs to get the fight to the ground because his striking isn't even close but in my eyes his jujitsu and wrestling outweighs Jones wrestling and jits.

The other fighter is Gustaffson who is just as tall and strong. The fight with Phil Davis showed he can stuff the take downs of [b']possibly the most athletic wrestler in the division[/b], but at that time he seemed to get tired and in his recent fights he seems to have solved the issue of fatigue by training with Phil Davis. Gustaffson is a far higher caliber striker then Bones, but nowhere near as creative, nevertheless nothing substitutes boxing when it comes to striking, and a fighter who has beaten a world champion boxer shouldn't be taken lightly.

The new generation of fighters are Phil Davis and Gustaffson, strong, tall and athletic, who look like Heavyweights dropping to LighHeavyweight just as Jon Bones Jones does, the like of Machida, Shogun, Evans, Matt Hamill, Brillz, etc, all seem to be Middleweights fighting as Lightheavyweights.

Your comments on whether you agree, disagree or you think am talking absolute crap, and who you think posses the largest threat to Bones.

what happened to evans? Isn't he the "most athletic wrestler" in the 205 division? or Jones? Lol.

It seems people have forgotten evans used to fight at heavyweight. (or just you) Evans is not a middleweight fighting at 205. He is thick, for a 205er. Also, most fighters at 205 cut down to LHW, even the likes of Machida. I think you don't know your facts. Davis could lose to lil nog, and all this talk could be meaningless. Personally i think Rashad is Jones biggest test, then machida.

You know what, I think there are more than two right now. In the future I would include Davis and Gustaffson, but right now I have these guys in mind.

1. Mauricio Rua. i say this because I think Shogun looked great until he got kicked in the face while getting up. After that we didnt really see Shogun as we all know he is capable of being.

2. Quinton Jackson. I mean, come on... His chin is iron, and he hits like a savage. Just one punch would hurt Jones' feelings. The problem, he has to acctually land that punch. lol

3. Lyoto Machida. Still as elusive and quick as ever. Obviously he would have to play defense and counter Jones all 5 rounds which would make it boring, but I can see it happening.

4. (If he decided to make the jump) Anderson Silva. Simply the best striker in MMA and has the patience on the ground to make something happen.

5. Rashad Evans. Just as fast if not faster, better wrestler (I think) and can get in close enough to strike with Jones. He did it against Rampage.

6. Bruce Lee. Just F***ing BECAUSE!!!

what happened to evans? Isn't he the "most athletic wrestler" in the 205 division? or Jones? Lol.

It seems people have forgotten evans used to fight at heavyweight. (or just you) Evans is not a middleweight fighting at 205. He is thick' date=' for a 205er. Also, most fighters at 205 cut down to LHW, even the likes of Machida. I think you don't know your facts. Davis could lose to lil nog, and all this talk could be meaningless. Personally i think Rashad is Jones biggest test, then machida.[/quote']

Comon son, Evans is 5,11 maybe even 5,10 naturally he should be at 185. Any fool can put weight on, but that doesn't mean his body should hold that weight. I stick by Phil Davis being the most athletic wrestler, he is a champion wrestler, neither Evans or Jones accomplished that.

Comon son' date=' Evans is 5,11 maybe even 5,10 naturally he should be at 185. Any fool can put weight on, but that doesn't mean his body should hold that weight. I stick by Phil Davis being the most athletic wrestler, he is a champion wrestler, neither Evans or Jones accomplished that.[/quote']

Rashad is a wide guy, but apparently you know his body better than him. :rolleyes:

Wrestling outside the MMA is important, but has been proven time and time again that it isn't always relevant. Look at GSP. Your argument is so invalid. Let's see how Davis handles top 10 competition. Rashad, and bones have proved themselves already.

Rashad is a wide guy' date=' but apparently you know his body better than him. :rolleyes:

Wrestling outside the MMA is important, but has been proven time and time again that it isn't always relevant. Look at GSP. Your argument is so invalid. Let's see how Davis handles top 10 competition. Rashad, and bones have proved themselves already.[/quote']

Rashad has a wide frame that doesn't change the fact that with height the more weight you can gain and your body will hold, the fact of the matter is, he is shorter and has the same frame as most middleweights no matter how wide he is, i don't understand what width has to do with it. Rashad can compete as a light heavyweight, he has proven it, but look at his frame he would do far better as a middleweight, i personally think he could beat Silva. Gsp doesnt rely on pure wrestling, he uses shoot boxing and he does that better than anyone, as he combines his striking to bait fighters and then uses there motion and weight against them. Cooomoon son : D

There is a 3rd Roger Gracie' date=' looking at the holes in jones game he has poor submission defense and Gracie would easily tap him out once the fight got to the mat only proplem is Gracie won't be in the UFC for at least 2 years.[/quote']

YES!!!. i strongly believe Roger Gracie would beat Jones. Jones has significant advantages on the fett but if it touches the mat he is done. even on bottom roger could probably finish him or at least sweep him. Roger has the best BJJ out of any 205er and probably the best in mma. I'd go so far as to say he has the best BJJ in the world in competition. As it stands he is the only person see that could beat jones at 205.

Rashad has a wide frame that doesn't change the fact that with height the more weight you can gain and your body will hold' date=' the fact of the matter is, he is shorter and has the same frame as most middleweights no matter how wide he is, i don't understand what width has to do with it. Rashad can compete as a light heavyweight, he has proven it, but look at his frame he would do far better as a middleweight, i personally think he could beat Silva. Gsp doesnt rely on pure wrestling, he uses shoot boxing and he does that better than anyone, as he combines his striking to bait fighters and then uses there motion and weight against them. Cooomoon son : D[/quote']

Are you honestly that stupid? "Cooomoon son" Like you are acting like weighing in at 205 is crazy for anyone under 6'0. Rashad is thick, big boned, and his genetics are a good weight for 205. Like Lesnar is 6"3, weighs around 285, so should he be fighting at 205 because of his height? Like hes shorter then Jon Jones. The people on these forums. :confused::confused:

Sure GSP doesn't rely on "pure wrestling", but that negates your argument of Jon Jones vs. Davis in an MMA fight then right? You praise Davis's "pure wrestling" achievements outside of MMA, then you discredit GSP's MMA wrestling. (even though he clearly outwrestlers better "pure wrestlers", however you want to put it.) Smarten up, son.

You're calling me stupid, and you're the one who uses the term "thick bones" when in scientific terms that does not exist. Nate Marquardt is just as big as Rashad, and a little bit taller, he is considering the move to welterweight. Rashad has never been ripped at 205, his body would perform far greater at 185, he might even be quicker and stronger. Brock Lesnar has built muscle over a substantial amount of years, he wasn't that way at a certain age, at this age Rashad Evans weight is only natural because the body adds weight the older you get, but it doesn't change the fact that Rashad should be at 185.

Gsp is a an incredible wrestler, i would never discredit but it doesnt change the fact that he uses shootboxing, he even says it himself, you really need to smarten up not me. The fact of the matter is that, Rashad would have a strength advantage and his speed could possibly improve at 185. The fact that his fighting a guy 5 or 6 inches taller tells you something.

After watching Bones dismantle Rua' date=' only two fighters came to mind that would challenge him, two young fighters who bare resemblance to the champion in terms of strength, his physical frame and athleticism. Phil Davis is one of them, possibly stronger wrestling and just as athletic as Jones, maybe a little more explosive, with jujitsu is on a higher level. Phil Davis needs to get the fight to the ground because his striking isn't even close but in my eyes his jujitsu and wrestling outweighs Jones wrestling and jits.

The other fighter is Gustaffson who is just as tall and strong. The fight with Phil Davis showed he can stuff the take downs of possibly the most athletic wrestler in the division, but at that time he seemed to get tired and in his recent fights he seems to have solved the issue of fatigue by training with Phil Davis. Gustaffson is a far higher caliber striker then Bones, but nowhere near as creative, nevertheless nothing substitutes boxing when it comes to striking, and a fighter who has beaten a world champion boxer shouldn't be taken lightly.

Your comments on whether you agree, disagree or you think am talking absolute crap, and who you think posses the largest threat to Bones.[/quote']

I completely agree. The new breed of fighters are really going to shake up the weight classes. Guys are going to realize that they just can't compete against elite fighters with a tremendous size advantage. The way you described the LHWs being MW was spot on.

You're calling me stupid' date=' and you're the one who uses the term "thick bones" when in scientific terms that does not exist. Nate Marquardt is just as big as Rashad, and a little bit taller, he is considering the move to welterweight. Rashad has never been ripped at 205, his body would perform far greater at 185, he might even be quicker and stronger. Brock Lesnar has built muscle over a substantial amount of years, he wasn't that way at a certain age, at this age Rashad Evans weight is only natural because the body adds weight the older you get, but it doesn't change the fact that Rashad should be at 185.

Gsp is a an incredible wrestler, i would never discredit but it doesnt change the fact that he uses shootboxing, he even says it himself, you really need to smarten up not me. The fact of the matter is that, Rashad would have a strength advantage and his speed could possibly improve at 185. The fact that his fighting a guy 5 or 6 inches taller tells you something.[/quote']

I said "big boned", not "thick boned", to get the point across(it is an old saying). If you don't understand genetics then thats obviously your fault.

"Nate Marquardt is just as big as Rashad, and a little bit taller, he is considering the move to welterweight."

-He wouldn't be fighting at a weight 20 pounds lighter if he was bigger. Even so he isn't as strong, and is thinking about dropping because he loses every big fight in 185, and is quite irrelevant now.

"Rashad has never been ripped at 205, his body would perform far greater at 185, he might even be quicker and stronger."

-So cutting another 20 pounds would ensure him being quicker and stronger? Really? You should really learn more about weight cutting.

"Brock Lesnar has built muscle over a substantial amount of years, he wasn't that way at a certain age, at this age Rashad Evans weight is only natural because the body adds weight the older you get, but it doesn't change the fact that Rashad should be at 185."

-ok, so Rashad hasn't built muscle over a "substantial amount of years"? You realize Lesnar is only 2 years older then rashad right? Let me remind you Rashad used to fight near 230 pounds.

"Gsp is a an incredible wrestler, i would never discredit but it doesnt change the fact that he uses shootboxing, he even says it himself, you really need to smarten up not me."

-This does not change the fact that in MMA, wrestlers can get out wrestled by other means. You are making your argument for Phil Davis even less significant, but the funny thing is you don't even know you are.

"The fact of the matter is that, Rashad would have a strength advantage and his speed could possibly improve at 185. The fact that his fighting a guy 5 or 6 inches taller tells you something."

-No, the fact of the matter is, Rashad is a former LHW champ, who is fighting for the title again. I'm not asusming that he "could possibly improve at 185", when he is already clearly at the top of the 205 division. Who cares? fighters fight. The fact that Jon Jones is 5 inches taller then Rashad has nothing to do with it. Rashad has looked big, and not like a height disadvantage has mattered in his career. Grove is 6'6 and fights at 185, using him as an example, should every other fighter drop down now because he is the base? No. Just because Jon jones uses his height and weight perfectly, doesn't mean everyone else should drop down. Jones is tall for his weight class, maybe, but who cares. He is 23, and obviously hasn't even filled out his frame. He is a freak.

Anything else?

Archived