Height does not make a fighter

JHenry

Im sick of reading these endless threads of how noone can beat Jones because he is tall and has the longest reach.

Yes it gives him an advantage but if he ever gets into a brawl situation or gets rocked he will get obliterated by guys like Rampage and thiago because they could end him with one tight right hook.

Just as having length gives him an advantage it gives him a disadvantage. Once someone closes the gap they have an immense advantage over Jones because it not only takes time to manuever long limbs but it also makes the strikes easier to predict.

Yes he is good but shut the hell up about him never getting beat because i doubt he defends it twice, like every other "unbeatable" LHW champion we've had in the last 3 years

Im sick of reading these endless threads of how noone can beat Jones because he is tall and has the longest reach.

Yes it gives him an advantage but if he ever gets into a brawl situation or gets rocked he will get obliterated by guys like Rampage and thiago because they could end him with one tight right hook.

Just as having length gives him an advantage it gives him a disadvantage. Once someone closes the gap they have an immense advantage over Jones because it not only takes time to manuever long limbs but it also makes the strikes easier to predict.

Yes he is good but shut the hell up about him never getting beat because i doubt he defends it twice' date=' like every other "unbeatable" LHW champion we've had in the last 3 years[/quote']

Um. A fighter needs to be in striking range in order to, you guessed it, strike his opponent. If you get within Jones's reach, you still can't get to him, yet he can easily attack you or grab on to you and throw you down.

If Jones didn't have amazing wrestling and strength, I would agree that the reach doesn't mean a whole lot. But because of all these skills that Jones has, it's almost unfair how far he can reach.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be allowed to fight at LHW though, I'm just saying that his reach (not so much his height) is a HUGE advantage.

Um. A fighter needs to be in striking range in order to' date=' you guessed it, strike his opponent. If you get within Jones's reach, you still can't get to him, yet he can easily attack you or grab on to you and throw you down.

If Jones didn't have amazing wrestling and strength, I would agree that the reach doesn't mean a whole lot. But because of all these skills that Jones has, it's almost unfair how far he can reach.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be allowed to fight at LHW though, I'm just saying that his reach (not so much his height) is a HUGE advantage.[/quote']

yes it is a huge advantage but it does not make him unbeatable and i swear if i read one more thread about how guys who have been top ten LHW contenders, since before Jones even had a UFC fight, stand no chance ill flip out

Um. A fighter needs to be in striking range in order to' date=' you guessed it, strike his opponent. If you get within Jones's reach, you still can't get to him, yet he can easily attack you or grab on to you and throw you down.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be allowed to fight at LHW though, I'm just saying that his reach (not so much his height) is a HUGE advantage.[/quote']

Pretty much summed it up. If he was simply a striker with no wrestling then the advantage wouldn't be as big. The issue is that he is probably the strongest wrestler at LHW currently.

I'm not trying to take anything away from him either as I hope he is the next Silva. It is just a fact that he has some god given advantages for this sport. If he keeps progressing on top of this, we very well could be witnessing a long standing champion.

Exactly once someone rocks him hes done.

Please define rocks.

First you have to be in range to rock someone. After that, you are assuming that this "rocking" will not be able to be absorbed all because you haven't seen him take a "rocking" and all you have left to question is his chin.

Everyone has a fighters chance, but do you honestly think it is ok to have the train of thought that "to win this fight I have to get in range without getting my assed kicked, not get taken down and get my *** kicked, not get submitted, and get my one rocking punch off to win."

Fighters don't plan for that.

Please define rocks.

First you have to be in range to rock someone. After that' date=' you are assuming that this "rocking" will not be able to be absorbed all because you haven't seen him take a "rocking" and all you have left to question is his chin.

Everyone has a fighters chance, but do you honestly think it is ok to have the train of thought that "to win this fight I have to get in range without getting my assed kicked, not get taken down and get my *** kicked, not get submitted, and get my one rocking punch off to win."

Fighters don't plan for that.[/quote']

Rampage has a short reach, he has to overcome his reach disadvantage in EVERY fight and he does it. Everybody he has KO'd has had a longer reach then him.

Please define rocks.

First you have to be in range to rock someone. After that' date=' you are assuming that this "rocking" will not be able to be absorbed all because you haven't seen him take a "rocking" and all you have left to question is his chin.

Fighters don't plan for that.[/quote']

Hitting him with a punch that takes him off the offensive for any given amount of time which a power striker can easily swarm and take him out. Im willing to bet Jones has a poor defense once hes not able to stick his arm and circle. I bet Rampage shoulder rolls off a jab and blasts him one if they fight.

Edit: Btw submitting a wrestler who jumped guard out of desperation doesnt exactly make you a submission ace...

Yes he is good but shut the hell up about him never getting beat because i doubt he defends it twice' date=' like every other "unbeatable" LHW champion we've had in the last 3 years[/quote']

Exactly. I do believe he has what it takes to remain champ for a while though.

The OP has taken such a strong stance!

I always wonder about a thing like that, where someone has limited knowledge on a subject, yet has really strong, passionate views. Why are people like that?

Uninformed, or at least underinformed people who demonstrate such unwillingness to compromise are found throughout the political spectrum. They are incredibly active! This is dangerous. Hopefully, this guy confines his rage towards MMA forums on the internet.

Yeah, Jones has a ton of reach. It makes a huge difference, man. If you've trained, and I don't mean in the backyard, you'd know that when you advance, you step just a few scant inches at a time. It takes a moment to shuffle your feet. If someone has a 9 inch reach advantage over you, you have to shuffle twice from the outside to get in range, or take an awkward giant shuffle forward. These things give the other guy a lot of time to react. So he always hits you. Your only recourse is to drive in wildly, and he knows it, so he can prepare for that.

Being tall is a disadvantage in American wrestling. He is more susceptible to the take down because of his long legs, and also has less muscle mass because of his large skeleton.

Being tall is a disadvantage in American wrestling. He is more susceptible to the take down because of his long legs' date=' and also has less muscle mass because of his large skeleton.[/quote']

but it also has advantages on the ground where he can use a large wide base, like against Shogun to keep control.

I always wonder about a thing like that' date=' where someone has limited knowledge on a subject, yet has really strong, passionate views. Why are people like that?

Uninformed, or at least underinformed people who demonstrate such unwillingness to compromise are found throughout the political spectrum. They are incredibly active! This is dangerous. Hopefully, this guy confines his rage towards MMA forums on the internet.

Yeah, Jones has a ton of reach. It makes a huge difference, man. If you've trained, and I don't mean in the backyard, you'd know that when you advance, you step just a few scant inches at a time. It takes a moment to shuffle your feet. If someone has a 9 inch reach advantage over you, you have to shuffle twice from the outside to get in range, or take an awkward giant shuffle forward. These things give the other guy a lot of time to react. So he always hits you. Your only recourse is to drive in wildly, and he knows it, so he can prepare for that.[/quote']

If you've ever boxed, you'd know that if you slip a rangy fighter and get inside you can destroy him with combos until he finds his range again.

I always wonder about a thing like that' date=' where someone has limited knowledge on a subject, yet has really strong, passionate views. Why are people like that?

Yeah, Jones has a ton of reach. It makes a huge difference, man. If you've trained, and I don't mean in the backyard, you'd know that when you advance, you step just a few scant inches at a time. It takes a moment to shuffle your feet. If someone has a 9 inch reach advantage over you, you have to shuffle twice from the outside to get in range, or take an awkward giant shuffle forward. These things give the other guy a lot of time to react. So he always hits you. Your only recourse is to drive in wildly, and he knows it, so he can prepare for that.[/quote']

Well since this is a forum i feel i should express my views towards a matter, excuse if my format usage of this forum is wrong.

There are other ways to get around reach then just going in. Machida for instance will probably work on circling Jones to corner him against the wall where he can get inside and make his speed become the defining factor rather than Jones reach.

Im not saying his reach isnt important im just saying it doesnt make him god of the octagon

True' date=' the fact is that height really isn't a factor because the advantages/disadvantages balance out.[/quote']

yep it all plays into different fighting styles unique to each fighter, which is why i cant believe people think he will champion for years to come because there are so many great fighters in LHW.

If you've ever boxed' date=' you'd know that if you slip a rangy fighter and get inside you can destroy him with combos until he finds his range again.[/quote']

I have boxed, extensively.

Anyway, it's easier said than done, this slipping and getting inside. You see, you can almost sleepwalk as you stand on the outside, you're safe. If the other guys decides to engage and you don't want to, you can circle out. Outside is calm.

Inside is war. You can't hang out there the entire fight. Slipping is a difficult thing to do. Countering is a difficult thing to do. Slipping and countering together is harder still. Circling back outside without getting a taste of payback is darn near impossible. Now, in boxing, you don't have the option of hanging out on the inside. Clinches are broken up, and no fighter is going to let the shorter fighter simply hang out there throwing clean punches without clinches. MMA allows clinches and Jones is a great wrestler.

Don't start a post with "If you've ever boxed..." if YOU have never boxed.

I have boxed' date=' extensively.

Anyway, it's easier said than done, this slipping and getting inside. You see, you can almost sleepwalk as you stand on the outside, you're safe. If the other guys decides to engage and you don't want to, you can circle out. Outside is calm.

Inside is war. You can't hang out there the entire fight. Slipping is a difficult thing to do. Countering is a difficult thing to do. Slipping and countering together is harder still. Circling back outside without getting a taste of payback is darn near impossible. Now, in boxing, you don't have the option of hanging out on the inside. Clinches are broken up, and no fighter is going to let the shorter fighter simply hang out there throwing clean punches without clinches. MMA allows clinches and[b'] Jones is a great wrestler.[/b]

Don't start a post with "If you've ever boxed..." if YOU have never boxed.

Granted he is but Shogun showed pretty good TD defense up until Jones had his leg above Shoguns head at which point defending the TD is near impossible. Someone who doesnt throw a whole lot of kicks wont be caught in that situsation plus Jones size makes a power TD(like the ones GSP is known for) very difficult because he has to get so low to generate the power.

I have boxed' date=' extensively.

Inside is war. You can't hang out there the entire fight. Slipping is a difficult thing to do. Countering is a difficult thing to do. Slipping and countering together is harder still. Circling back outside without getting a taste of payback is darn near impossible. Now, in boxing, you don't have the option of hanging out on the inside. Clinches are broken up, and no fighter is going to let the shorter fighter simply hang out there throwing clean punches without clinches. MMA allows clinches and Jones is a great wrestler.

[b']Don't start a post with "If you've ever boxed..." if YOU have never boxed.[/b]

ROFL You're the one making assumptions buddy I was simply countering your pretentious post where you were acting like the only one with any knowledge. I have boxed for the past 6 years.

Archived