Settling the Debate- Who Really Could Beat Bones?

cdnMMAfan15

I've seen and heard alot of talk in the last few days about who could beat Jones and who matches up well with him. I've decide that i will go through a list of opponents that have been mention and analyse their prospects of beating Jon Jones. i will list them in no particular order.

MACHIDA- elusive counter striker, pretty good BJJ- well this is an intriguing matchup. an agressive fighter (jones) against a man who has made his career of countering agressive fighters (machida). Machida definately could beat bones, and stylistically he is probably the worst matchup for jones. I do NOT see his counter striking being very effective against jones because of jones' large reach advantage. he couldnt dart in and out like he does against most opponents which will hinder him. his best avenue for sucess is to get jones down, which is easier said than done. If he can counter jones not with a punch but a trip or TD and secure top position he will have a chnace to exploit what appears to be Jones' only weakness which is working off his back. Now we haven't seen jones there yet so his skill level there is a question mark but it appears to be his largest hole in his game. i'd gve machida a 25% chance of beating Jones.

Anderson SILVA- amazing striker with decent BJJ- I may get flamed for this but this is a TERRIBLE matchup for Silva. his largest weakness is wrestling and Jones' strengthis wrestling. Jones would get silva down because every other wrestler he has faced has managed to take Silva down (Hendo, Lutter, Sonnen). once there i see Silva being finished within the next couple minutes. Jones' elbows are very powerful unlike sonnens attacks and given a chance Jones would maul Silva with a barrage similar to his fight with Hamill. Yes silva has a BJJ black belt however he has not shown the ability to sweep a wrestler as good as jones and i do not believe a triangle is the answer to jon jones' attack. Silva's only chance here is to stop jones from taking him down. I'd give Silva a 10% chance of winning.

Rampage- Striker with good power- Page is simply too one dimensional to take jones on. of course he always has a punchers chance but i would see bones taking him down and finishing him there in the second or third round. i'd give page a 5% chance of taking out jones.

Phil Davis- Great Wrestler- If he could take jones down his odds to win are fairly high. However if he cant get jones down, if jones get him down or he decides he'd like to strike with jones it'd be a short night for mr. wonderful. Based on how jones has done against wrestlers like Hamill and Bader i'd give Davis a 5% chance to beat him. (at thispoint. in a few years with impoved standup he would have a much better chance)

Rashad Evans- wrestler with some power- Pretty much the same faults as Davis except rashad has more power. however a questionable chin means i only give him a 10% chance of sucess.

and my pick as the most likely candidate to dethrone jones if the fought (which wouldn't be for a while)

Roger Gracie- best BJJ in the world- On the mat the is no better fighter than Roger Gracie. If he could get jones down or even if jones took him down the fight wouldn't last very long. he would undeniably be able to sub jones. The question is can he get the fight to the ground? in the standup jones has a huge advantage. i'd say gracie has about a 45% chance of beating jones. this increases dramatically if it goes to the mat, but if it remains on the feet it diminishes to virtually nothing

there are of course other possible fighter capable of defeating Bones such as Shogun or Mousasi however i feel that the fighters i have listed all stack up better than most other fighters.

please feel free to comment, however if you disagree or would like to add fighters please elaborate and take bias out of your analysis.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cain Velasquez at 205.

I believe Jones' only major weakness is the weight cut. As he fills out physically, he will undoubtedly have more weight to cut. Being a champ, there is always a risk of having to go five rounds were his endurance will be put to the test. Cain is the only HW who could reasonably cut to LHW (after some dieting and maybe one LHW warm-up fight) who has the endurance and tenacity to constantly pressure Jones.

Cain will take a beating in the first 2 rounds. However, I would see Cain stealing the third round and outworking Jones in the 4th and 5th round. The other added benefit is Cain's monstrous right hook that could land. Is it likely going to land against a 6'4 fighter who employs an upright stance? Probably not. But Jones would be foolish to shoot in right away and risk getting clipped by it just like Brock. So this tool forces Jones to think a little more and hesitate.

The other current LHW fighters would get beaten. Rashad has the second best chance as he is notoriously hard to finish (assuming he doesn't revert back to his KO artist fantasy). However, with a 5'11 height Rashad would literally be hanging on for dear life for 5 rounds.

Im quite surprised theres been no GSP mentioned.

Theres no smarter fighter than ol George and i could see him beating him.

But on the other hand i could see Jones beating GSP.

Would be a decision either way for me.

GSP would wreck Bones almost as bad as Forrest would.

The main thing that makes Jones hard to beat is his speed and constant pushing.. If you watch his last 4 fights he is always pressing and his opponents cant seem to handle it..

But he also does not seem to have to much KO power...

so to handle Jones one need someone that can handle being pushed (so Rampage, Lyoto, Rashad and Shogun is out).

We need someone that can handle the wrestling skills (so Forrest is out)

The only one left if Randy!!!!

The main thing that makes Jones hard to beat is his speed and constant pushing.. If you watch his last 4 fights he is always pressing and his opponents cant seem to handle it..

so to handle Jones one need someone that can handle being pushed (so Rampage' date=' Lyoto, Rashad and Shogun is out).

[b']We need someone that can handle the wrestling skills[/b] (so Forrest is out)

The only one left if Randy!!!!

There is someone you noob. His name is Forrest Griffin.

Big Anderson I would put as favorite to beat him. He'd take some GnP, but he's too fast (too new school), superior cardio, agility and pinpoint KO power striking from odd angles.

As an underdog

Rashad by knowing his kryptonite?

Phil Davis he's become a fast, slick, pretzally submission master - yes better ability to execute subs than Lil Nog.

Machida, stays elusive, absorbs some shots and catches him with a stand-up flurry.

HUGE underdogs - Rampage/Forrest - they'd get tooled.

so to handle Jones one need someone that can handle being pushed (so Rampage' date=' Lyoto, Rashad and Shogun is out).

We need someone that can handle the wrestling skills (so Forrest is out)

The only one left if Randy!!!![/quote']

Forrest beat Tito and was beating Rashad before he was KO'd, so he can handle a wrestler plus he's been working on his speed.

Archived