Oh no! Phil Davis... another bible believing Christian???

B_radly1406052482

Since there has been some interesting discussion of late regarding fighters and their faith, and a whole lotta childish and hateful banter about it, I figured I'd continue to stir the pot a little bit more.

We heard from a few of you in the previous thread about Bones and his God... would love to hear from some more of you.... or the same ones that shared their views on the matter previously. Either way, it's obvious it's getting under the skin of some of you God haters out there that these first class mma stars have anything to do with mentioning God or the bible in their interviews, as you have voiced this on numerous occasions recently. I find it very interesting that many of the best ones out there do this, and are believers. There is quite a long list. So let's have some fun again shall we? Phil... thanks brother for not being ashamed. Perhaps we will see you at the top soon! Can't wait to see you fight this Saturday!

(refer to video up on the home page)

I have no problems with fighters being religious, the only times that after a fight that fighters have annoyed me with religion was when Tyson and Prince Naz both made their claims that their was only one God, theirs. I'm not religious at all, but it is a way to rile people up for no reason.

A lot of fighters are religious, it can help them through tougher times, apparently.

Since there has been some interesting discussion of late regarding fighters and their faith' date=' and a whole lotta childish and hateful banter about it, I figured I'd continue to stir the pot a little bit more.

We heard from a few of you in the previous thread about Bones and his God... would love to hear from some more of you.... or the same ones that shared their views on the matter previously. Either way, it's obvious it's getting under the skin of some of you God haters out there that these first class mma stars have anything to do with mentioning God or the bible in their interviews, as you have voiced this on numerous occasions recently. I find it very interesting that many of the best ones out there do this, and are believers. There is quite a long list. So let's have some fun again shall we? Phil... thanks brother for not being ashamed. Perhaps we will see you at the top soon! Can't wait to see you fight this Saturday!

(refer to video up on the home page)[/quote']

I find it refreshing. I don't even like JJ, but I most certainly respect his faith and his choice to honor his faith by acknowledging God in victory speeches. There are some up tight religion haters out there, but who cares what they think? Not JJ or Phil Davis or Vitor or me. Winners get to say whatever they want.

I find it refreshing. I don't even like JJ' date=' but I most certainly respect his faith and his choice to honor his faith by acknowledging God in victory speeches. There are some up tight religion haters out there, but who cares what they think? Not JJ or Phil Davis or Vitor or me. Winners get to say whatever they want.[/quote']

I find your comments refreshing. Thanks for posting.

I can hear OP's smug, self-assured tone right through the text: "Huurrr best fighters talk about God what does that tell you guies you mad atheists hurrr durr". In this country, any citizen has the freedom of speech and religion, which gives a fighter every right to thank God after they put some dude to sleep. The problem is that Christians don't understand the reaction an atheist gets when they express their religious belief. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you aren't an atheist, right B_radly? Well if you were, you'd know the reaction we get from people after we explain we don't believe in God. In some cases, the person is mature and understanding. In others, the person will look at you like you are a retard and mock your beliefs (shortly before being owned by logic). This is why athiest get pissed.

tl;dr: Jesus didn't help you win that fight, stop being an idiot.

I can hear OP's smug' date=' self-assured tone right through the text: "Huurrr best fighters talk about God what does that tell you guies you mad atheists hurrr durr". In this country, any citizen has the freedom of speech and religion, which gives a fighter every right to thank God after they put some dude to sleep. The problem is that [b']Christians don't understand the reaction an atheist gets when they express their religious belief.[/b] I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you aren't an atheist, right B_radly? Well if you were, you'd know the reaction we get from people after we explain we don't believe in God. In some cases, the person is mature and understanding. In others, the person will look at you like you are a retard and mock your beliefs (shortly before being owned by logic). This is why athiest get pissed.

tl;dr: Jesus didn't help you win that fight, stop being an idiot.

So Atheism is a religion now?

So Atheism is a religion now?

Religious BELIEF =/= religion

also, I love how that is your big "nailed 'em" counter to what I typed. "ATHEIST DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD HE STILL SAID IT'S A RELIGION WHAT A RETARD I REALLY NAILED HIM THIS TIME". Give me a better phrase to call it by. Please, enlighten me, oh wise DISCIPLE_

I can hear OP's smug' date=' self-assured tone right through the text: "Huurrr best fighters talk about God what does that tell you guies you mad atheists hurrr durr". In this country, any citizen has the freedom of speech and religion, which gives a fighter every right to thank God after they put some dude to sleep. The problem is that Christians don't understand the reaction an atheist gets when they express their religious belief. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you aren't an atheist, right B_radly? Well if you were, you'd know the reaction we get from people after we explain we don't believe in God. In some cases, the person is mature and understanding. In others, the person will look at you like you are a retard and mock your beliefs (shortly before being owned by logic). This is why athiest get pissed.

tl;dr: Jesus didn't help you win that fight, stop being an idiot.[/quote']

Well, I'm sorry you're mad. You're supposition that I have a smug tone about the best fighters being believers is absurd. There have been scores of them that are not. The post was intended to draw out you that snarl and scoff at people who acknowledge God after their fights and in interviews, and basically in general that they even give credit or praise to God. My thread worked with you, so thanks for posting. However, you got me all wrong Zerxst. I don't scoff at athiests b/c they don't believe, but I despise those of you who scoff at believers b/c they believe. And I just wanted to point out to further push your buttons, that there are scores of great fighters, many of them champions, that do believe. That's all bruz. Good on yas man. Thanks for your comments. They were ..... illuminating. :P

I can hear OP's smug' date=' self-assured tone right through the text: "Huurrr best fighters talk about God what does that tell you guies you mad atheists hurrr durr". In this country, any citizen has the freedom of speech and religion, which gives a fighter every right to thank God after they put some dude to sleep. The problem is that Christians don't understand the reaction an atheist gets when they express their religious belief. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you aren't an atheist, right B_radly? Well if you were, you'd know the reaction we get from people after we explain we don't believe in God. In some cases, the person is mature and understanding. In others, the person will look at you like you are a retard and mock your beliefs (shortly before being owned by logic). This is why athiest get pissed.

tl;dr: Jesus didn't help you win that fight, stop being an idiot.[/quote']

Agreed x1000

Its very frustrating that once the subject of religion comes up logic goes right out the window. That said ... my question to any fighter thanking god for getting something they worked hard for is - Does god hate the other guy? or just like you more?

Well' date=' I'm sorry you're mad. You're supposition that I have a smug tone about the best fighters being believers is absurd. There have been scores of them that are not. The post was intended to draw out you that snarl and scoff at people who acknowledge God after their fights and in interviews, and basically in general that they even give credit or praise to God. My thread worked with you, so thanks for posting. However, you got me all wrong Zerxst. I don't scoff at athiests b/c they don't believe, but I despise those of you who scoff at believers b/c they believe. And I just wanted to point out to further push your buttons, that there are scores of great fighters, many of them champions, that do believe. That's all bruz. Good on yas man. Thanks for your comments. They were ..... illuminating. :P[/quote']

Sorry about the misconception, OP. Kinda feel like a **** now lol. And I don't get too mad, this is only the internet.

Stone the Jews

Mariusz "Dominator" Pudzianowski believes in God

Mariusz "Dominator" Pudzianowski is a Nazi

Mariusz "Dominator" Pudzianowski has religious belief

Mariusz "Dominator" Pudzianowski is an athiest

Seriously, bro. Get a life. I can't stand trolls like you.

So when fighters thank Jesus/God, what exactly are they thanking them for doing? Is it like the movie Angels in the outfield where angels physically come down and help them punch the other person? Or is God telepathicly giving them instructions during the fight?

Or a combination of both? What happens when two fighters pray before the fight for god's assistance? Does he play favorites, count the amount of prayers, or flip a coin from the Sunday offering as to who he helps.

Agreed x1000

Its very frustrating that once the subject of religion comes up logic goes right out the window. That said ... my question to any fighter thanking god for getting something they worked hard for is - Does god hate the other guy? or just like you more?

So when fighters thank Jesus/God' date=' what exactly are they thanking them for doing? Is it like the movie Angels in the outfield where angels physically come down and help them punch the other person? Or is God telepathicly giving them instructions during the fight?

Or a combination of both? What happens when two fighters pray before the fight for god's assistance? Does he play favorites, count the amount of prayers, or flip a coin from the Sunday offering as to who he helps.[/quote']

What logic are you referring to exactly Shaun? Can you give an example or a reference? I don't think anybody here or any fighters would ascribe to your misleading comment as their theology. I think if you ask them what God does for them and how they view God and fighting it will surprise you. And I can also say with certainty that some fighters may also believe wrong things about God, such as when Vitor said assuredly God would give him the victory and He did not. We all have lots to learn about our God, he's more than shallow thinking allows for.

@ Corey... I don't believe God shows partiality to who wins or loses. Fighters just like anyone else who trusts God, pray and ask for things like injury free fights, for God to be glorified either way, for their lives to reflect humility, for them to handle the limelight without arrogance, and for things like that. Perhaps they pray for the victory, who knows. But a lot of them do it, and a lot of you don't like it one bit, and I think it's hilarious that you all get so pissy about it. Thanks for posting though guys. I really do appreciate your honesty. God keep you and bless you today.

B Radley' date=' why do you believe in god?[/quote']

That's a great question Corey. I believe for a few reasons. When I was not looking for Him and didn't give a flip about God, he chose to seek and find me. He set His love upon me, a love that I never found in this world or in my parents or in any friends I had. Everybody craves to be loved. I believe because I tried to prove the bible wrong and it ended up proving me wrong. The slow and methodical study of the writings and history revealed the truth to me, that without a penalty being paid for my wrongdoing I would have to pay for it myself. I believe because nobody has yet to dispute or disprove the resurrection. God is sovereign in saving people, I did not deserve to be found, but rather to be ignored and let perish. I believe because I was leading the march to hell and God snatched me from that life of promiscuity, drunkenness, arrogance and pride, and showed me the life Jesus lived on earth and that this was the way I should walk and live. I believe because my life has changed and I have been broken and humbled, going from nothing to something, from sin to salvation. I believe because of the evidence of Israel, demonstrated throughout history. I believe because I have seen how God can change a person's heart, from being a pompous sinner to a caring provider. I believe because the universe and all of creation shouts that there is a Designer. There is no way that chance and a pool of cosmic goo one day decided on it's own to create species from nothing. There are many more reasons. I believe because I was once dead and now I'm alive like never before. It's not a blind faith since I research the evidence. It's not a hypocritical faith because my life has changed for good. It would take me more faith to believe the complexity of this world and the heavens were not designed, than to believe they were. I was bought with a price, with the blood of the man Jesus 2000 years ago. He was brutalized and humiliated for me and for the whole world, openly and without regret. In short, that's some of why I believe. Thanks for asking.

That's a great question Corey. I believe for a few reasons. When I was not looking for Him and didn't give a flip about God' date=' he chose to seek and find me. He set His love upon me, a love that I never found in this world or in my parents or in any friends I had. Everybody craves to be loved. I believe because I tried to prove the bible wrong and it ended up proving me wrong. The slow and methodical study of the writings and history revealed the truth to me, that without a penalty being paid for my wrongdoing I would have to pay for it myself. I believe because nobody has yet to dispute or disprove the resurrection. God is sovereign in saving people, I did not deserve to be found, but rather to be ignored and let perish. I believe because I was leading the march to hell and God snatched me from that life of promiscuity, drunkenness, arrogance and pride, and showed me the life Jesus lived on earth and that this was the way I should walk and live. I believe because my life has changed and I have been broken and humbled, going from nothing to something, from sin to salvation. I believe because of the evidence of Israel, demonstrated throughout history. I believe because I have seen how God can change a person's heart, from being a pompous sinner to a caring provider. I believe because the universe and all of creation shouts that there is a Designer. There is no way that chance and a pool of cosmic goo one day decided on it's own to create species from nothing. There are many more reasons. I believe because I was once dead and now I'm alive like never before. It's not a blind faith since I research the evidence. It's not a hypocritical faith because my life has changed for good. It would take me more faith to believe the complexity of this world and the heavens were not designed, than to believe they were. I was bought with a price, with the blood of the man Jesus 2000 years ago. He was brutalized and humiliated for me and for the whole world, openly and without regret. In short, that's some of why I believe. Thanks for asking.[/quote']

You said earlier that you were raised a christian by your parents.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." -Benjamin Franklin

Alright, they can both be compared in evilness, and I would praise the day religion was banned world wide, because of the atrocities that it caused. The bad far outweighs the good. But there is some good in religion. For many people world wide it keeps them from hurting others, helping others, and living a decent life. Many people who are down and out have used religion to help them live happier lives. I personally believe that is borderline pathetic, but if it keeps the man who lost his home and family from shooting up a school, I'll consider it.

There was no good in the holocaust.

I hate to break this to all god fearn folk, but a being that powerful does not give a crap about sports. Gods will this, gods doing that, blah, blah, blah. Before you religious zealots get started, although I am not religious I have no hate for those who feel they need to thank a being they have never met every time they get a chance.They gotta do what they feel they gotta do. It is interesting that these people feel that the sport they participate in warrants some attention from anyone other than a fan.

You said earlier that you were raised a christian by your parents.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." -Benjamin Franklin

My parents took me to church as a boy, but what they passed down was a legacy of partying and debauchery. They did not live their faith in front of me. My mother died a drunk and my dad is not a believer today. But I'm not sure what you are referring to Bean. And yes, sometimes one must shut their own logic and reason in a closet in order to see supernaturally. This is very true. That's why it's called faith man. It just so happens that there is a mountain of evidence supporting mono-theism, the bible, and the resurrected Christ. But the fact that I began to seek God was not because of these things only. Faith is a gift from God. God doesn't give this gift to all men, but He does call all men to repent and believe. "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him."

Since there has been some interesting discussion of late regarding fighters and their faith' date=' and a whole lotta childish and hateful banter about it, I figured I'd continue to stir the pot a little bit more.

(refer to video up on the home page)[/quote']

well lets see ...ill destroy your argument fairly quickly...Phil Davis thinks Jesus is on his side...Jon Jones thinks Jesus is on his side...they could very possibly fight in the future...so since they both believe Jesus helps them win..will Jesus then have to take sides...and if you say whatever God's will is what will happen..WHY PRAY IN THE FIRST PLACE....I could care less about what you believe..I find it amusing that someone needs to believe the creator of the universe supports their fights for money...and that no one wants to address the arguments...they just want to dilute them

Exactly my point. I was using sarcasm. It seems to be a huge deal to some on here. So much that they are mentioning it a lot about how it pisses them off. I'm here to commend the fighters for doing it.

LMAO once again I was telling you why its funny...you seem to be the one pissed off...

Alright' date=' they can both be compared in evilness, and I would praise the day religion was banned world wide, because of the atrocities that it caused. The bad far outweighs the good. But there is some good in religion. For many people world wide it keeps them from hurting others, helping others, and living a decent life. Many people who are down and out have used religion to help them live happier lives. I personally believe that is borderline pathetic, but if it keeps the man who lost his home and family from shooting up a school, I'll consider it.

There was no good in the holocaust.[/quote']

Woah..

Well' date=' I'm sorry you're mad. You're supposition that I have a smug tone about the best fighters being believers is absurd. There have been scores of them that are not. The post was intended to draw out you that snarl and scoff at people who acknowledge God after their fights and in interviews, and basically in general that they even give credit or praise to God. My thread worked with you, so thanks for posting. However, you got me all wrong Zerxst. I don't scoff at athiests b/c they don't believe, but I despise those of you who scoff at believers b/c they believe. And I just wanted to point out to further push your buttons, that there are scores of great fighters, many of them champions, that do believe. That's all bruz. Good on yas man. Thanks for your comments. They were ..... illuminating. :P[/quote']

LOL funny werent you the guy who tried to mention Albert Einstein in your "smart people believe in God" argument...which I completely dismantled only to have you say...."wha ..wow" and pray for dear life that your savior buddy showed up to say..."sometimes God and Jesus kick ***" hilarious...Einstein certainly didnt believe in a "personal god" he believed in God as the unvierse itself including everything in it...thats a FAR CRY from thinking men 2,000 years ago knew the mind of God....

Ever heard of blood libel? Thats when christians would accuse jews of killing babys and using their blood in rituals. They would then round up the jews and torture then murder them. Sounds a lot like the nazis.

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." Benjamin Franklin

Dude thats like assuming all women are only after your money or that all mma fans are rednecks. Generalizing only shows your ignorance in the matter.

Dude thats like assuming all women are only after your money or that all mma fans are rednecks. Generalizing only shows your ignorance in the matter.

* 1840 Damascus affair: In February' date=' at Damascus, a Catholic monk named Father Thomas and his servant were murdered. The accusation of ritual murder was brought against members of the Jewish community of Damascus

* 1840 Rhodes blood libel: The Jews of Rhodes, during the Ottoman Empire, were accused of murdering a Greek Christian boy. The libel was supported by the local governor and the European consuls posted to Rhodes. Several Jews were arrested and tortured, and the entire Jewish quarter was blockaded for twelve days. An investigation carried out by the central Ottoman government found the Jews to be innocent.

* In March 1879, ten Jewish men from a mountain village were brought to Kutaisi, Georgia to stand trial for the alleged kidnapping and murder of a Christian girl. The case attracted a great deal of attention in Russia (of which Georgia was then a part): "While periodicals as diverse in tendency as Herald of Europe and Saint Petersburg Notices expressed their amazement that medieval prejudice should have found a place in the modern judiciary of a civilized state, New Times hinted darkly of strange Jewish sects with unknown practices."[26'] The trial ended in acquittal, and the orientalist Daniel Chwolson published a refutation of the blood libel.

* 1882 Tiszaeszl?r blood libel: The Jews of the village Tiszaeszl?r, Hungary were accused with the ritual murder of a fourteen-year-old Christian girl, Eszter Solymosi. The case was one of the main causes of the rise of antisemitism in the country. The accused persons were eventually acquitted.

* In the 1899 Hilsner Affair, Leopold Hilsner, a Jewish vagabond, was accused of murdering a nineteen-year-old Christian woman, Ane?ka Hrůzov?, with a slash to the throat. Despite the absurdity of the charge and the relatively progressive nature of society in Austria-Hungary, Hilsner was convicted and sentenced to death. He was later convicted of an additional unsolved murder, also involving a Christian woman. In 1901, the sentence was commuted to life imprisonment. Tom?? Masaryk, a prominent Austro-Czech philosophy professor and future president of Czechoslovakia, spearheaded Hilsner's defense. He was later blamed by Czech media because of this. In March 1918, Hilsner was pardoned by Austrian emperor Charles I. He was never exonerated, and the true guilty parties were never found.

* The 1903 Kishinev pogrom, an anti-Jewish revolt, started when an anti-Semitic newspaper wrote that a Christian Russian boy, Mikhail Rybachenko, was found murdered in the town of Dubossary, alleging that the Jews killed him in order to use the blood in preparation of matzo. Around 49 Jews were killed and hundreds were wounded, with over 700 houses being looted and destroyed.

* In the 1910 Shiraz blood libel, the Jews of Shiraz, Iran, were falsely accused of murdering a Muslim girl. The entire Jewish quarter was pillaged; the pogrom left 12 Jews dead and about 50 injured.

Antisemitic flier in Kiev, 1910: "Christians, take care of your children!!! It will be Jewish Passover on March 17."

* In Kiev, a Jewish factory manager, Menahem Mendel Beilis, was accused of murdering a Christian child and using his blood in matzos. He was acquitted by an all-Christian jury after a sensational trial in 1913.

* In 1928, the Jews of Massena, New York, were falsely accused of kidnapping and killing a Christian girl in the Massena blood libel.

* The 1946 Kielce pogrom against Holocaust survivors in Poland was sparked by an accusation of blood libel.

* King Faisal of Saudi Arabia (r. 1964?1975) made accusations against Parisian Jews that took the nature of a blood libel.[27]

* The Matzah Of Zion was written by the Syrian Defense Minister, Mustafa Tlass in 1986. The book concentrates on two issues: renewed ritual murder accusations against the Jews in the Damascus affair of 1840, and The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.[28] The book was cited at a United Nations conference in 1991 by a Syrian delegate.

* On October 21, 2002, the London-based Arabic paper Al-Hayat reported that the book The Matzah of Zion was undergoing its eighth reprint and was being translated into English, French and Italian.

* In 2003 a private Syrian film company created a 29-part television series Ash-Shatat ("The Diaspora"). This series originally aired in Lebanon in late 2003 and was broadcast by Al-Manar, a satellite television network owned by Hezbollah. This TV series, based on the antisemitic forgery The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion, shows the Jewish people as engaging in a conspiracy to rule the world, and presents Jews as people who murder Christian children, drain their blood and use this blood to bake matzah.

* In early January 2005, some 20 members of the Russian State Duma publicly made a blood libel against the Jewish people. They approached the Prosecutor General?s Office and demanded that Russia "ban all Jewish organizations.? They accused all Jewish groups of being extremists and of being ?anti-Christian and inhumane, which practices extend even to ritual murders.? Alluding to previous antisemitic Russian court decrees that accused the Jews of ritual murder, they wrote that ?Many facts of such religious extremism were proven in courts.? The accusation included traditional antisemitic canards, such as ?the whole democratic world today is under the financial and political control of international Jewry. And we do not want our Russia to be among such unfree countries?. This demand was published as an open letter to the prosecutor general, in Rus Pravoslavnaya (Russian: Русь православная, "Orthodox Russia"), a national-conservative newspaper. This group consisted of members of the ultra-nationalist Liberal Democrats, the Communist faction, and the nationalist Motherland party, with some 500 supporters. Тhe mentioned document is known as "The Letter of Five Hundred" ("Письмо пятисот").[29][30] Their supporters included editors of nationalist newspapers as well as journalists. By the end of the month this group had received stiff criticism, and retracted its demand.

* At the end of April 2005, five boys, ages 9 to 12, in Krasnoyarsk (Russia) disappeared. In May 2005, their burnt bodies were found in the city sewage. The crime was not disclosed, and in August 2007 the investigation was extended until November 18, 2007.[31] Some Russian nationalist groups claimed that the children were murdered by a Jewish sect with a ritual purpose.[32][33] Nationalist M. Nazarov, one of the authors of "The Letter of Five Hundred" alleges "the existence of a 'Hasidic sect', whose members kill children before Passover to collect their blood," using the Beilis case mentioned above as evidence. M.Nazarov also alleges that "the ritual murder requires throwing the body away rather than its concealing". "The Union of the Russian People" demanded officials thoroughly investigate the Jews, not stopping at the search in synagogues, Matzah bakeries and their offices.[34][35]

* During a speech in 2007, Raed Salah, the leader of the northern branch of the Islamic Movement in Israel, accused Jews of using children's blood to bake bread. "We have never allowed ourselves to knead [the dough for] the bread that breaks the fast in the holy month of Ramadan with children's blood," he said. "Whoever wants a more thorough explanation, let him ask what used to happen to some children in Europe, whose blood was mixed in with the dough of the [Jewish] holy bread." [36]

* In 2008, a Polish team of anthropologists and sociologists investigated the currency of the blood libel myth in Sandomierz where a painting depicting the blood libel adorns the Cathedral, and discovered that these beliefs persist among Catholic and Orthodox Christians of all social classes.[37][38][39]

That's just in the modern age.

Archived