Jones opens up as huge favorite over Evans

CorporalClegg

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/21/jon-jones-opens-as-huge-favorite-over-rashad-evans-fans-bet-him/

Awe over Jon Jones' UFC light-heavyweight championship win continues to dominate the post-UFC 128 headlines.

Fresh off his third-round TKO over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Jones already knows who he's fighting next: former teammate Rashad Evans.

According to oddsmakers and fans, Evans -- a former champion himself -- is an underdog. A very big underdog.

Shortly after Jones and Evans verbally agreed to fight each other, Jones was installed as a 4-to-1 favorite in the bout. Since then, the betting public has only increased that gap, making Jones more than a 5-to-1 favorite.

Evans and Jones initially resisted overtures of a title fight between them, citing their status as teammates in the Greg Jackson camp, but as the Jones-Rua fight neared and Jones was consistently asked about it, his answers seemed to thaw on the possibility, and Evans soon followed.

Immediately following Jones' win, Evans told MMA Fighting in an exclusive, cageside interview that he was "done with Jackson's."

Evans is exploring several options for a training camp in the wake of his departure, including starting his own camp. There is no timetable for the fight, as Jones requested some time off following back-to-back fights over a six-week span, and Evans just resumed training after recovering from the knee injury that knocked him out of the Rua fight and opened the door for Jones' golden opportunity.

Heh already 5 to 1 and climbing. By the time the fight happens it will be GSP/Hardy or even GSP/Serra 1 type odds.

Lol shouldnt be a surprise he is a hugh favorite over rashad most fans have jones wining easly rashad has some change but very very little he just dont have the chin to take to many of jones hits and i dont think he will be taking him down so i only see one outcome and this is coming from a rashad fan im just not to blind to see reality

I dont think that Evans doesnt stand a chance, but he needs to figure out a way to not let Jones bully him around like he has done to everyone else he has fought. In his last 2 fights he seems to have taken his setting up his takedowns with strikes, and strikes with fake TD attempts to a new level. If he can work that with Jones that would probably be his best chance...which is still pretty slim. But then again I didnt see Jones walking through Rua like that so who knows....

Good.. Just means I'll win more when Rashad beats him.

You would be out of your mind to bet anything significant on Rashad. If the odds get to ridiculous I would consider putting maybe 50 on Evans because I see him getting obliterated but something crazy could happen that works out for him.

A lot of weird **** has happened in MMA and I'm not sure either man has five round cardio because I haven't seen them fight that long. I've seen both of them very tired after three rounds. I doubt the fight lasts five rounds but it might if Jones is easy on him and content to just pound him stupid but not unconscious. Apparently you can win all three rounds and get screwed out of fights now so there's always the judges robbing Jones possibility.

Then you have **** refs but luckily this championship fight would have one of the better refs sadly in Herb, John or Mario. Maybe Jones gets poked in the eye and the ref doesn't see it (Johnson) or kicked in the groin (Hughes survived) and that leads to a Tko.

Cut via grounded elbow... these are really Rashad's only chances. He knows Jones is going to throw his undersized *** all over the octagon and probably down to 185 where he belongs.

Rashad should be the underdog. I really don't see him winning at all, and I'm trying to figure out ways he would beat Jones. Jones is too long to try and just run away from. He'll chase him down and kick him from halfway across the octagon. He's like that fighter off of street fighter with those long friggin legs.

Rashad is going to need roids, vaseline, and hope Jones gets run over and still decides to fight to even have a chance of winning.

Archived