Will GSP hold another Size Advantage over Jake Shields?

Junglebird

We all know GSP has always been the bigger fighter in his Career, some of his biggest wins and worst defeat coming from Lightweight fighters. But when Facing Jake Shields, Strikeforce MW champion, will GSP still hold the size advantage he always has?

Chances are probably not. Jake is a pretty big guy, but at the same time, GSP will probably be so marginally smaller that it wont matter anyway, and without a doubt GSP will hold a reach advantage.

We know what kind of a fighter Shields is, and In most unbiased opinions, Kampmann defeated Shields in his debut. We can expect Shields to be crushed by GSP, and then Shields to return to MW.

25tga2r.jpg

yep. and reach wise - yep.

Alves may have been shorter than GSP, but he should be fighting at MW.

Koscheck was the same height and size as GSP.

GSP's reach is deceiving because they measure wingspan not shoulder to fingertip. This means that his reach includes his chest which is obviously pretty wide.

Everyone acts like GSP is a LHW fighting LW's his whole career.

Lol, not quite that exaggerated but almost.

GSP isn't a monster of a dude. He's solid and lean. Unless you are 5'7" and 150 lbs, GSP shouldn't be that impressive sizewise to anybody.

I'm 6'2" and at my biggest I was 247lbs lean and GSP is a runt compared to me. So when people talk about fighters being big, the only fighters that are all that big to me are Mir, Lesnar, Carwin and a couple other large HW's.

True' date=' but you get the point.

Almost every fighter cuts weight, and is heavier outside their weight class when they are not in weigh-in condition.[/quote']

Yeah i get the point.

But do you get the point that GSP is bigger then everyone he defends? And shields may be the exception

Yeah i get the point.

But do you get the point that GSP is bigger then everyone he defends? And shields may be the exception

Hardy? Alves? Fitch? even Kos was pretty much the same.

Haters gonna be haters, and you sir are a hater and a troll.

GSP stays at a lower body fat weight than most other fighters, he doesn't pile on fat like others do so his walk around weight is lower than others.

GSP is very muscular for WW and is larger than pretty much all of his opponents now since he has been "bulking up". GSP has also got a big reach advantage over all of his opponents.

GSP does not always have a size advantage. whoever says that is an idiot

GSP was definitely smaller than Hardy and Alves' date=' and it didn't change anything.[/quote']

huh no? he is in fact bigger and you could tell just by looking at thim when he fought GSP' date='.[/quote']

Hardy

Height..6"0

Reach..74in

Walk weight..200(his words)

Alves

Height..5"9

Reach..70in

Walk weight..205(dana's words cand find anything that alves says on this the only crediable person is dana)

Jake

Height..6"0

Reach..72in

Walk weight 190(his words)

Gsp

Height..5"10

Reach..76in

there u go guys...gsp beat all of them in 2 out of 3 things but it is shuffled...hes bigger but not so much that it really matters then only thing that would really matter is gsp's reach advantaeg over alves...just try to research sometimes ok

Hardy

Height..6"0

Reach..74in

Alves

Height..5"9

Reach..70in

Walk weight..205(dana's words cand find anything that alves says on this the only crediable person is dana)

Jake

Height..6"0

Reach..72in

Gsp

Height..5"10

Reach..76in

there u go guys...gsp beat all of them in 2 out of 3 things but it is shuffled...hes bigger but not so much that it really matters then only thing that would really matter is gsp's reach advantaeg over alves...just try to research sometimes ok

GSP says his biggest weight was 194lbs and his reach is 74 apparently it keeps changing like Carwins height...remember when they had Carwin listed at 6"5 compared to Lesnar's 6"3 and then made them stand side by side?

GSP is definitely not a small welterweight, but this idea that he has a big weight advantage over all his oppenents is a myth.

Only recently against Koscheck and Hardy has GSP been at 190 pound walk around weight because he made that decision at the beginning of 2010.

For most of his career GSP has been around 185. Just looking at title defenses, only BJ Penn is significantly smaller than GSP and that was his choice to leave lightweight his natural weight class and fight for another belt (not that it was a bad decision, its why BJ is so great).

Fitch is actually smaller now with his new diet than he was in 2008 when he fought GSP. Fitch is taller than GSP, has similar reach and had similar weight to GSP when they fought.

Alves is a huge welterweight. GSP is taller and has a longer reach, but Alves is more built. GSP has lean muscle, Alves is a powerhouse. To say GSP significantly out weighed him is ridiculous.

Hardy is very big himself. He is taller than GSP, has similar reach and once again during their fight was at a similar weight to GSP. Hardy is a big welterweight, make no mistake about it.

Although Koscheck has similar height to GSP, GSP has longer reach and I do think GSP was slightly heavier. However it was not a huge weight difference because Koscheck is definitely not a small welterweight either.

The point is GSP is not out weighing his oppenents by significant amounts. He is not Frankie Edgar because he definitely is a good sized welterweight, but he is no Anthony Johnson either.

The only reason there is this false perception by many fans is because two of his highest profile fights were against natural lightweights (BJ Penn and Matt Serra). Both of those guys decided to move up themselves, which is no fault of GSP's.

Shields once again is no small welterweight. The guy was recently a middleweight champion. GSP will definitely not have a significant size advantage over Shields. They are about the same weight right now, you can watch some of their interviews where they both claim to be around 190 right now.

We all know GSP has always been the bigger fighter in his Career' date=' some of his biggest wins and worst defeat coming from Lightweight fighters. But when Facing Jake Shields, Strikeforce MW champion, will GSP still hold the size advantage he always has?

Chances are probably not. Jake is a pretty big guy, but at the same time, GSP will probably be so marginally smaller that it wont matter anyway, and without a doubt GSP will hold a reach advantage.

We know what kind of a fighter Shields is, and In most unbiased opinions, Kampmann defeated Shields in his debut. We can expect Shields to be crushed by GSP, and then Shields to return to MW.

[img']http://i56.tinypic.com/25tga2r.jpg[/img]

Yeah when someone has a larger head, he usually looks bigger.

But still, I think GSP will definitely have a speed advantage and probably a strength advantage. As well as being a smarter fighter and being WAY more well rounded...

So it doesn't matter if bighead is taller than GSP.

GSP says his biggest weight was 194lbs and his reach is 74 apparently it keeps changing like Carwins height...remember when they had Carwin listed at 6"5 compared to Lesnar's 6"3 and then made them stand side by side?

maybe he was talkin in an erlyer interview but from the alves fight he said he bulked up to 200 be4 the fight that is what he stated to bloddyelbow.com...and his bio reach is 76 not 74..but my point still stands he does not have a huge advantage in anything over any1 but his reach advantage over alves which is 6 inches

maybe he was talkin in an erlyer interview but from the alves fight he said he bulked up to 200 be4 the fight that is what he stated to bloddyelbow.com...and his bio reach is 76 not 74..but my point still stands he does not have a huge advantage in anything over any1 but his reach advantage over alves which is 6 inches

watch the actual interview 194 was his heavyest weight to date.

his bio is 76 yet before it was 74.

alves was more powerfully built but yes didnt have same reach.

watch the actual interview 194 was his heavyest weight to date.

his bio is 76 yet before it was 74.

alves was more powerfully built but yes didnt have same reach.

u got an interview sayin 194 i got an interview sayin 200...where was the 74 at i never seen that or are u sayin it was taking down cuz i can see that happening

u got an interview sayin 194 i got an interview sayin 200...where was the 74 at i never seen that or are u sayin it was taking down cuz i can see that happening

i have a video interview saying 194

if u can rewatch some of the last 5 fights with GSP you will see 74 for tale of the tape.

and yes they took it down

GSP stays at a lower body fat weight than most other fighters' date=' he doesn't pile on fat like others do so his walk around weight is lower than others.

GSP is very muscular for WW and is larger than pretty much all of his opponents now since he has been "bulking up". GSP has also got a big reach advantage over all of his opponents.[/quote']

Yeah.

gsp-alves.jpg

GSP looks bigger

wow.. how rigorous is it to take a picture of Thiago leaning forward to compare them.

Denying that Thiago is bigger is just stupid. Everyone knows he's bigger, it's obvious, he knows it, GSP knew it, he talked about it in the promo. Alves said he was bigger and it would help him. Everyone said it, and it was obvious when they were facing each other.

Hardy

Height..6"0

Reach..74in

Alves

Height..5"9

Reach..70in

Jake

Height..6"0

Reach..72in

Gsp

Height..5"10

Reach..76in

I'd like a link where GSP says he weights 200 lbs. He never said that (or find me a link)

The biggest he's been he said he weighted 191-192 and thatw as against hardy. Before that he was 184-185lbs. Because he's put on weight for his last fights doesn't change the weight he was when he fought Alves.

Alves : 205 lbs

GSP : 184-185lbs. no difference?

Alves does have a tiny reach and GSP has a long one for a 5'10 guy but that doesn,t change his weight. And he's not especially tall.

Archived