How much does size play into a fight over skill?

jayzee

The Argument going around is some fighters are too large and skill doesn't mean anything anymore. But, Cain defeated Brock and Anderson defeated Griffin.

I believe that size does play its part, but, being in shape and having loads of skill and having your heart into the game is WAY more important.

I know Fedor lost to some big guys recently, but he no longer had the heart and his standup and grappling skills..... Well, other fighters were starting to get as good. FIGHTING UFC CANS does not help your career.

This is a serious thread to discuss this matter "How much does size play into a fight over skill and technique?"

I think size does play as much of a role as skill. Its all about how you utilize your physical advantages. Like when Shogun tries to rush in with punches, Jones would keep him out with front kicks to the chest or low side kicks to the shin/knee.

If Jones wasn't able to fully take advantage of his reach, Shogun would've gotten in and knocked him out. So, I'd say its both.

Size can be an issue, but I agree skill and technique are far more important. If you have two highly skilled and well trained athletes, and one is a light heavyweight and the other is a natural welterweight, I think it's pretty obvious who enjoys the advantage though.

well, nowadays size plays a very large part but mainly because fighters are skilled in 2 or more arts more often than not, back in the days of Royce and Pancrase, most of them had 1 style, but today because most fighters are well versed in striking, grappling and sumbmission then size starts to play much more of a role IMO

You've got to have good skill to make good use of your size' date=' if you don't being big works against you[/quote']

with just size and skill

skill > size

BUT

size + skill > skill

Well put gentleman. As it is when it comes to what style is more effective, in the modern age of MMA it all comes down to the individual.

Brock Lesnar's size was a huge advantage for the first few fights of his career because he was well versed in using that size to his best advantage employing techniques he learned wrestling. But his overall lack of skills in any other area was exposed by more skilled but smaller fighters.

The latest talk is about Bones' size and his advantage. The major difference here is Jones is skilled in every aspect of MMA and has proven it. He also is very adept at using his physical advantages. He has great striking, both inside or out, with as they say in Muay Thai, all 8 limbs, and he understands leverage in grappling which makes him a threat from any position whether it comes from strikes or submissions.

I gotta say, the dude is the real deal and I for one hopefully look forward anticipating a hall of fame quality career.

It plays a factor but NOT a HUGE one i walk around at about 155 and when i train grappling i some times go against guys that weight anywhere between 180-235 and i beat alot of them because im the more technical fighter not only that they lift more then i do because of the size factor but i can over power them in a grappling situation and force a takedown,throw,and my personal favorite a slam i mean dont get me wrong i have some struggle because of there size but i usually (not always) come out one top